Compass Group Employee Reviews

Lousy place to work. Don't go on salary!!
Chef (Former Employee) –  Canada31 July 2016
Joined this company because I thought worked for a large company would be good for my career. Wow! What a mistake, totally regret it! Don't accept a salary position they will expect 10, 12 , 14 hour days because they get rid of hourly staff and expect the salary people to pick up the slack. Lousy staff morale. Oh, and if they try to fool you with the option of raises and bonuses don't believe it! Your raise will be minimal and only senior management gets bonuses. Not the Chef doing the work. Can't say enough to warn you away from this company!!!
Pros
Free staff meal
Cons
Long hours, lousy pay, bunch of hypocrites
Never any advancement and very low salary
Master Chef (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 November 2016
I worked for three years for Compass Group, as a Supervisor of the Kitchen. I worked with people who were either skilled at their job or had no training to be there. As part of my job I was to train new employees to their station, I also was to keep the kitchen in an even run, never was I ever given any credit for my service or was I offered advancement or given a raise in pay.

Instead I was given two awards, paper certificates, for a job well done and two months later I was laid off, without cause.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no pay, no advancement, no credit for the work
Terrible management and team morale
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  British Columbia23 September 2016
I have never worked for a company who cares so little for their employees. They do not honor or appreciate hard work from anyone, they have no idea how to treat staff. this company is all about the numbers. The management who sit in their offices benefit while the people actually doing the work get absolutely nothing. Most of the time the management team just sits in the back and pushes papers, never mind that they are still part of the team and should be helping where necessary. The food service industry is like a machine, it's either well oiled and runs smoothly or you get that one kink that brings it all crashing down. This is what working for Compas Canada is like. Good luck and stay away!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no appreciation, treated as replaceable all the time
Poorly run.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 October 2016
My job at Compass Group was a newly created position, and no one really knew what to do with me. Customer volume demanded an extra management body on site to help with efficiency and training. My manager was ill suited for his position and was unable to teach me much at all. The company had people in customer service positions with now experience and with a poor attitude towards learning the craft.
Pros
Lots of room for advancement
Cons
Poor management team, unrealistic expectations, poor training regimen
good benefits, full time hours
cook/manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Very good company to work for,I just don't like the commute.Good benefits,wages are fair.room for advancement. Full time hours.Pleasant co workers, excellent health and safety policies in place.
Pros
wages are fair, good benefits, good hours
Cons
commute is an hour long
Great Work/Life Balance!
Line Cook & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Management was always changing, Pay wasn't horrible however their pay increases could be higher. Not many chances for advancement, but you are able to work independently.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
Overall a good company to work for.
Executive Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
Good Company to work for . Work life balance and good benefits.
valuable and on going training provided. Good support system. Good job security and lot of opportunity.
worse company
Operation supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 March 2017
worse company to work with .. management is so pathetic and bad environment to work in.... the way they treat employees are bad and the salary sucks ...Management is not friendly and won't listen to issues ...
Awesome company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2016
Great work environment, proper training provided, Competitive salary & benefits, Management is so cooperative.
Good employee appreciation, unionized job provides job security.
Pros
Good employee appreciation, unionized job
Cons
summer time its slow & less hours
good company to work for...great people
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2016
I start my day early, making soups for the day. Then begin dinner prep. By 430 pm dinner is ready for the first group of night shift clients. Service is 4 hours and we batch cook throughout the entire service so food is always fresh & hot. During service we are prepping for next days dinner as well.
I have worked with many people during my years with Compass Group and am always learning new cooking techniques and recipes.
My management team is great and very supportive. My co-workers are all team players and we always help one another out.
The toughest part of the job is being away from home for such long stretches.
I love to cook so getting paid for something I love to do is a bonus.
Great place to learn and great leadership training
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2016
Days went by quickly, constantly busy.
I learned how to speak with different types of customers. (Worked in a hospital)
Management guided me how to present myself towards harder customers and how to deal with employee relations.
My co-workers where awesome we all got along for most of the time.
The hardest part was have my co-worker differentiate the difference between me as a friend and me as a lead hand.
Best part was the different people i got to interact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals, snacks and drinks
Cons
Understaffed
Awful Place to work
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2016
I was working at compass group and was bullied by the manager.

I had multiple staff members and customers complain about the manager.

I even filed a complaint with the supervisor.

Shortly after my complaint I was fired for being late with no warning.

I have yet to receive my final pay (~$700) and the manager and her boss both refuse to return my emails and ignore my request for pay.

I am going to the Ontario Ministry of Labor to deal with the situation.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile Workplace
very demanding place to work
manager/cook/baker (Former Employee) –  across Northern Canada25 January 2017
they place too much on production, and nothing for the worker. Work hard, not enough people, unrealistic expectations from one person. People however are great and most are in good humor.
Pros
pay is not bad
Cons
long hours, never enough help
All work and no rest
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BC26 February 2017
Almost always worked through my whole shift with no breaks. No one to pick up any slack if you don't get to every last thing. Very poor supervisor/management and always has a swinging door.
Pros
Supervisor/Staff
Cons
Always working without a break
Very busy and challenging
Assistant Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 July 2016
Good job. Lots of management turnover. Not a stable job.
No room to advance. Management was very closed minded because of the turnover. Co-workers were wonderful. Hardest part of the job was no communication between managers and employees. Most enjoyable part of job was the people I worked with and dealt with.
Pros
Wonderful employees
Cons
No advancement
poor management
cook/general help (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 September 2016
compass is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was sworn at twice by our food service director..we were told to do online line training at home on our own time which took approx. 18hrs and we were only compensated 2hrs. then they promote only the ones they like. This is a company I wish I had never worked with they do not give any opp to advance. If you value all your hard work in the culinary business DO NOT ever work for compass you will regret it.
Pros
hours
Cons
poor management
Good place as a first full-time job
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 January 2017
Good pay rate, fun environment, good hours, awesome benefits. Great place to start working full-time. Very happy with this job.
Stressful but with right coworkers you can achieve a lot
Food Service and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Working in food services can often be very stressful, but with the right staff and right coworkers you can achieve a lot of things and grow very much within the company.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours, low budgets
Harsh and unfair enviroment.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Worked as a dish washer, their was an inspection going on so the inspector told me to stop washing dishes for a half hour. I was told to do things not allowed at my age and were dangerous, i refused and got fired.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very little break, harsh enviroment, unclean, borderline blue collar
Productive, efficient, and quick learner
Camp Manager (Lac Des Iles Mine) (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 January 2017
great company, offers good benefit package, with opertunity to advance.
the only disadvantage for my current employment is being away from from home half the year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.

67%