Compass Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Contracted work with too many bosses.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 4, 2016
Operations Centre Agent - Marquise in behalf of YVR

Pros:

- Stepping stone into the aviation industry;
- Exposure to the background day-to-day operations of an International Airport;
- Great networking opportunity;
- Working with like-minded young professionals;
- Mid-range salary (better than most entry positions in the industry).

Cons:

- Everyone is your boss (Compass Canada, Marquise, YVR, Airlines, Contractors, Tenants...etc);
- Customer Service role heavy with complaints and repeating inquiries being a daily occurrence;
- Minimal advancement opportunity within Marquise and Compass Canada that is aviation related;
- Being a contractor means restricted advancement opportunity into the airport authority;
- The role is continuously given more responsibilities, grows complex, and requirements for the job are always added. But the salary is not changed to match the additional workload and liability.
good hours for family life
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONNovember 27, 2015
My time at Compass group was good. The people I worked with were friendly and the shifts were great for balancing home and work life. However the rate of pay was low when you consider the amount of work expected. I learned how to use my time effectively to accomplish all my required work. On going training was great and the support from management was good. The hardest part of my job was getting everything done, but as I said before strengthen my ability to time management. Although my co workers were friendly they was a lot of gossip between staff but it does teach you the ability to get along well with other and put your head down and just do your job.
Pros
Great shifts with option for over time
Cons
Gossip within staff
Cultue
Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2016
Good working culture. Great team environment. Several management change. Diverse recruiting practice. High volume and can be demanding at times but it is a large food service company.
Pros
Great for foodies
Assistant Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 30, 2016
If you love Hamilton and love the Hamilton Tiger Cats this place is probably the best place to work! Of course you work in the concessions but the atmosphere in the stadium is absolutely incredible. The people I worked with were amazing and all the staff is super friendly. There was a lot of disorganization with making sure we had food and scheduling. The hours were bad unless you were well liked and knew the management so you could come in and work during the week but if not you had the one day a week schedule. Overall the place was just so much fun and I highly recommend it to anybody who is looking for their first job or looking for some extra cash!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Few hours
exciting
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2016
I really like how they always had another job to reach for. Advancement was always a possibility and I could take pride in my work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
tendious
Great place, great co-workers.
Retail Associate/Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
A typical day usually would start with a meeting, going over a lot of training provided. While getting everyone involved in carefully reading every guideline. I learned that teamwork is needed in order to survive in this workplace setting. Management is good, they are very at tentative. They have good emotional intelligence. The hardest part of the job is getting the speed down, hustling to serve every customer while maintaining an upbeat attitude and great customer service. The most enjoyable part of the part of the job would have to be the employee appreciation day, getting to know your co-workers at a different level.
Pros
Free food/drinks.
Cons
None.
the hardest part of the job
Compass Group (Christenson Communities) (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABOctober 18, 2015
I have no problem with the co-workers nor the environment at the workplace at all. In my case as a dietary-aide it is a fulfilling job to serve nutritious food to the elderly people. The only thing that I don't like about the company is I feel like there's no stability and growth as they are very limited in terms of options and opportunity. In my example in my case I've been working there for more than a year and have not increase my hourly rate yet 'till now, no review, I've been working split shifts sometimes and the average hours are not regular every week. I asked if there's any opportunity for a full-time position and there's none but lot of part-time people in the same position. My guess is they are trying to avoid giving benefits that is why they don't like to give me full-time position.
Chef supervisor
Chef Superivor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMarch 24, 2016
Lack of training that was promised upon hire and and no support from staff or management. Allowed buliies to continue working and the victim quit. There is no consistent work ethics policy and procedure are only being followed by those that the company wants to try get rid of.
Pros
Cons
No adequate training or consistent training for all staff lack of respect from staff
Terrible management. Do not work here.
Tim Horton's general worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioOctober 6, 2015
The management lacked leadership, trustworthiness, and empathy. Terrible workplace environment. The managers lie a lot and are very lazy. The only good thing aboit this job are the benefits. Do not work here.
Pros
Union job, free lunches (Kind of)
Cons
Terrible managers, mean staff, dirty environment, horrible hours.
Parttime evening job with great people
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKDecember 7, 2015
Typically an evening job with the occasional day shift. A professional attire is a must along with great personable skills. The staff and management were incredible to work with, making the shifts fly by with ease. Stressful moments occurred when there was over ordering and the cooks could only do so much at a time. The food was great and customers were very rarely dissatisfied. Memorization was key.
Pros
Great people to work with, listening to the concerts
Cons
Rude or drunk customers
Absolutely ridiculous
Housekeeper at a Long Term Living Facility (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 5, 2016
The pay is always short, the hours are complete bs. They tell you it's a part time job, it's actually a casual. They have the absolute worst management and are simply disorganized.
I do not recommend working for this company.
Cons
All lies, no management, pay is wrong wveyr pay cheque.
Fast paced, fun work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 4, 2016
In my experience at a Halifax location, this was a very fun and exciting job. Management could always be more attentive to the needs of employees, but it was still an enjoyable job.
nice coworkers
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  George Brown collegeFebruary 11, 2016
easy going position with great staff and work place. no real career advantage to grow. Was laid off. Small areas for working.
Pros
people
Cons
no real advantage to career
Fun work place working as a team to build a better experience
Starbucks Barista, Burnaby SFU (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 7, 2016
Full time employee as a barista in a fast paced and high stress store. I learned how communication is key when working as a team. I used to supervise the closing shifts full time for around a year. Management was difficult to deal with, there was no room for advancement and they never listened or addressed their employees concerns.
Pros
Staff meals
Cons
Upper management and their lack of concern for employees
A positive workplace
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCMay 1, 2016
- management: and the begging it was okay and after words it wasnt going to well, not well organized, cutting off the workers, and hours

-co-worker: some are nice and friendly, and few are behind your back and saying things to superior witch nothing has prove..

-the hardest part of the job is when you need help theirs no helpers your alone

the most enjoyable part the job is when the shift is over and theirs no complains
interesting and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2015
its a great environment to work in. It had its challenges of not enough hours and some out of order employees but it was a really great place to work. Some of the management personnel are very hard to work with but some were really cool.
Pros
free lunch and snack is available an d it was also unionized
Cons
hours were not enough
Productive easy and fun atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 17, 2016
Great hours start early in the morning 6:30 am.
All ATB Financial customers and guests were extremely fun to serve. It did not seem like a typical shift work job. Nothing about the job was difficult and most enjoyable was the fun atmosphere and great clients and customers.
Pros
Free Starbucks drink once a day.
Cons
Working alone only interactions was with customers.
very strict and performance based
ENVIROMENTAL SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2016
unfortunately the company is more interested in revenue aspect only of the operations and wants nothing to to with personal growth and development
Fast paced work place with friendly co-workers and managers
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 17, 2015
Extremely busy/fast paced work environment. However, people call in sick all the time, and at some point it gets really hard to work in a constant busy place with less co workers, but you can't always blame them for not coming in, the work itself it very tiring if you're doing a full time job. Most times it feels like the management is not going a great job finding enough workers, or getting their workers the benefits they need/deserves, otherwise the managers are very friendly.
was a fun plce to work great co-workers
Banquet Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCOctober 14, 2015
when i worked at the Civic Centre in Prince George for this company I worked very hard and long hours to make very little money so i left that job and looking for another job
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours without good pay