Compass Group

Compass Group Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
serving people
Cashier/ kitchen helper (Former Employee), workers compensation boardDecember 11, 2014
Pros: early morning hours and no weekends
Cons: nothing bad to say.
I really enjoyed working for compass at the workers compensation board. I was a short order cook. I loved the fast pace and it made the day go by quickly. I liked the early morning hours.
A great environment where I am consistently learning new things.
Food Services Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: standing on my feet all day
From the moment I set foot into work, its always go go go.
Which is what I enjoy, I love the fast paced work environment because that is where I excel.
seasonal
Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga OntarioNovember 12, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: management was week low pay
Management was vary weak was hard for the manager to come up with a decision regarding on who is working were Always had to ask for stuff to do my job always had to run around and ask were staff was and put them to work and I was only a server not supervisor.

Pay was vary low always had to ask for my correct pay had a turn over off staff almost every – more... month the hole year I worked their.
at the university

Management was vary rude to their employees all in all not a great place to work with done by Managers great co workers loved every second of it when I was working with co workers but Management needed to change – less
It's a fun work place
FOOD SERVER/HOSTESS (Current Employee), Toronto Pearson Aiport,Terminal 1November 3, 2014
Pros: meeting different people
Cons: long hours
Receiving good benefits and learned at online training and on actual jobsite.
some days went great &some daysnot so great depending on the mood of management &staff either wise it was a tipicel crasy day depending on the unite
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 27, 2014
sometimes we did not work together as a team even management esp.when we were shorthanded and sometimes we had some fun
Four HS Sector Managers in Ontario and a separate Claims Team
Health and Safety Sector Manager (Current Employee), ONOctober 21, 2014
Pros: food service company
Cons: leisure units predominately operate 7 days a week
Sector HS Managers are accountable for units across Canada. Regional HS Managers out of Ontario do not report into Sector Managers. Travel outside of Ontario is not approved. HS Director position still vacant (8months so far) program on hold. HS Managers work in silo's without HS Director. HS Managers initiate the claims process and are expected to – more... follow up on corrective actions. – less
Management doesn't manage.
Housekeeper, Night Shift (Former Employee), K/W Region, OntarioOctober 7, 2014
Pros: not slave labour, no longer have to work there. riding a floor scrubber is fun.
Cons: more or less everything.
Most unorganized place on earth.
Given a cleaning schedule to follow, sorted by everyday things and then other things on certain days of the week. Then a higher up manager (who has never seen your schedule) asks you why you aren't doing things daily that on your list say you aren't to do daily.

The work list changes constantly and sometimes without – more... notice.

They hired an on-call guy for multiple locations, ended up sending him to a single location for two months straight, and then to my location for my remaining time there to fill in for someone who left on extended medical leave.
He still works there and is still "on call", they hired someone to fill my position full time though.

When an employee is absent the remaining three (plus supervisor) employees are expected to do their full jobs and the work of the missing person. This will be enforced by the supervisor who will not understand why you don't have time to talk about how you should have wiped that sink counter-clockwise instead of clock-wise for the next 20 minutes.
Location depending, supervisor will do literally nothing but read the paper when he is not walking around looking for someone to chat with.

I worked hard, starting getting getting some serious knee pain. Upon returning from a few absences I was served a Termination of Employment Without Cause. I had a doctor's note; they handed me this the second I walked in the door. – less
Great Company
Manager of Support Services (Current Employee), Prince George BCOctober 6, 2014
Minimal supports in place for managers,
poor purchasing dept
poor payroll system
Great opportunities.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Oshawa, Ont.August 29, 2014
Typical day involved counting a safe, looking over a schedule, doling out responsibilities for that day, making sure everyone was performing their task and covering breaks.
I was in charge of 25+ people on any given shift. Lots of things to do and lots to be aware of. Never a dull moment.
Great first job that taught me how to be a hard worker
Jr. Sous Chef (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: fun work environment
Cons: schedule
A normal day would start around 7am. We would prepare breakfast, pastries, lunch specials and other food items that were made fresh daily. We would also work to cater bar mitzvahs, bris' and other types of social events. As well we would cook for the high school next door.
There were always many things to do to keep busy, which made time go by quite – more... fast. The most enjoyable part was that two days were never the same and there was always something different to expect each day.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the scheduling. Since things were always changing, you never knew what to expect. Some weeks would be extremely busy, while others were very slow with almost no hours.
For the most part I feel like I grew as a person and learned a lot about myself and working hard. – less
Good experience for a young person
Western Fair general labourer (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioAugust 19, 2014
Pros: pay above minimum wage
Cons: long hours
Enjoyed working as a runner for spectators in suites at a national sporting event. I was under-age, but felt valued and praised for hard work.
Fast paced, challenging environment
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 19, 2014
Responsible for the day to day food service operations including diet writing, food production, tray assembly, rethermalization and food delivery of prepared food items, purchasing/receiving, inventory, day to day staffing, sick calls and vacation relief. Ensuring that standards are met and a positive patient/customer focus is maintained. Maintaining – more... a challenging and productive environment by assisting in setting and tracking progress in achieving quality goals, financial targets and objectives. – less
It was more of a business feel rather then a hospitality company
Associate And Dishwasher (Former Employee), Mississauga OntarioAugust 9, 2014
Pros: great staff to work with
Cons: lack off communication and no holidays
When I worked here as an Associate it wasn't all that great the jobs were always seasonal during the school season so after 9 months we were left hanging for 4 months until the new year came around to work again we were always on our toes afraid that our jobs would be taken away even though we worked by the book of hospitality and customer service their – more... was a lack off management and communication from Managers of the company towards its team members and associates and when their was communication it was always barking back at the employee's rather then true leadership training.

I worked their for several years And I never really remember'd a happy day at work other then my team members the team members always lifted everyone's days they were the main reason why I went back several times to work at Compass group and when I was leaving compass group to go back to Culinary college compass group never really supported their staff in going back to school or exercised their appreciation for their employee's. And when I was leaving it was really hard to get my vacations pay and my final pay checks my boss always tried to push me out instead of working together.

Every morning I came in half hour sometimes a hour early'r to get ready for service and not one thank you from the boss but the team always appreciated my work and I am of theirs without the team members Compass group good luck.

All in all is this a great company to work for Not really would i go back no Im not saying that the people who run the company are bad I just had a really bad experience with one of their sales and retail managers but everyone els in the company was a ok in my books Im still friends with my former co workers and we still hang out and talk – less
Has great possibilities , room for growth
Chef Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2014
Pros: it is a job i enjoy
Cons: some of the hours, or additional paper work
Communication is advertised , but not alway's done .
Management support is minimal .
Finding additional or new staff seems to be a constant issue.
Finding GOOD staff to hire is difficult in the food area .
It is a great place to deal directly with the employee's of the company and see them enjoying what you have produced .
Catering functions are alway's – more... a nice break from a regular day .
I enjoy cooking and creating new items .
The hardest part would be dealing with staff that phone in at the last minute and cant come to work , and you must cover that shift your self . – less
great hours
Cook (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 21, 2014
fast paced, great people to work with, alot of heavy lifting
Independent Work
Food Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2014
A day starts off by counting your pouch and verifying your cash, then you are either driven or walked to your designated cart. There you spent long hours standing, sometimes in the shade, sometimes in the sun, and breaks usually are 4 hours into the shift. When the shift ends is decided on the day of, during the shift, therefore it is never certain. – more... That would be a typical day. – less
housekeeper (Former Employee), moncton nbJuly 15, 2014
I enjoyed working at Compass group. The people at this company are a great bunch of people
fun place to work
Cashier/Server (Former Employee), victoria b.c.July 14, 2014
served the costumers made coffee drinks got to see famous people
long hours unfair wages
Manager/Cook (Current Employee), Sault Ste Marie, OntarioJuly 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: very long hours unpaid for
WAke up at 3am go in to work off the clock to get all meals prepared for the day and caterings that are needed for that day. Will not pay over time but expect all work to be done. Iam manager, order all foods for the work, do all paperwork, cook, serve customers, all for almost minimum wage. The hardest part of the job is knowing that they want all – more... work done, but do not want to pay for an employee that wants to provide quality food, keep standards up and complete all tasks each day. The most enjoyable part of the day is hearing how much the customers appreciate the new menus and food they are paying for and I bring them that happiness. – less
nice relaxed environment with lots to keep yourself busy with
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee), whitbyJune 30, 2014
Pros: good hours for shifts
Cons: repetitive work
Compass group is great to work for, there is a lot of chance to get promoted. They also have a lot of franchises so there is a variety of place to work at.

1 2 3 4 5

About Compass Group

Compass Group plc is a global contract foodservice and support services company headquartered near London, United Kingdom. It – Read more