Community Living BC Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
always has the clients needs first and understands a workers need for life balance
Autism Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 September 2017
flexible and understanding employer with good ethics and administration. I never had a single problem working there was a charm - it always depends on your rapport with the client with these kind of jobs, but on the management side of things they did good I feel.
Rewarding and satisfying
Home Share Provider (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC16 August 2017
Working with Community Living BC has given me an appreciation for people of all cultures and abilities. I have matured in this atmosphere and developed a true compassion for and understanding of what my responsibilities are.
A typical day will include getting a client up, in some cases deal with their hygiene and physical needs. Distributing medication, providing breakfast. Ensure they are ready for pick up with Handy Dart to take them to their daily program with a packed lunch. Or if no program, plan their day to Sometimes medical/dental appointments are required therefore as a representative assist clients to and from.
Allow a calm and relaxing environment for clients to decompress from the day. Provide dinner and any medications. Assist in bedtime routines.
I believe the hardest part of this job is when a contract is beginning as there is always an adjustment to living full time with unfamiliar people as you learn their needs and requirements but harder is when a contract is finished or when when a client has passed away adjusting to the loss.
The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing a client who grows and develops to their full potential and the journey it takes to get there.

Comment – 17 August 2017

Another thought about CLBC is that the social workers are ever changing as is the system which makes it difficult to have a consistent Employer/Employee relationship.
The pay is average although the government announced a wage increase but to date I haven't been notified of any. It doesn't seem that it is on par with cost of living.

Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2017
Crown corporation has a great mission and does a lot of great work. Culture is a bit lacking and can get a bit political making it difficult to be effective. Salaries are a bit low, and tools available are often not used very well.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Political
Contract Care Provider
Home Share Provider (Former Employee) –  Sooke, BC15 June 2017
I was never an employee of Community Living BC. I had contracts with them to provide care for special needs children and adults {foster care, adult care provider} from 1988 - 2015.

I can't really even rate them because over the years I worked with many Social Workers. I felt that some were great and others were lacking. I do feel that the pay was not fair across the board with some contract providers making big bucks whilst others made peanuts. I always felt that it was down to how well you were able to manipulate the system and who you knew that made the difference.

What can I say - I enjoyed caring and providing a safe environment for the people I cared for.
Good place to work, good managers and staff.
Supervisor of Administrative Services (SAS) (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC20 April 2016
Learned about mentally handicapped facilities; services to children with special needs. Management was very knowledgeable and fair. Can't recall the hardest part of the job because my job wasn't hard to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a contract for a facility that would be able to provide services for a client; services for special needs children.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
While working for CLBC, I enjoyed the position and learned new skills.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC15 September 2012
I learned a lot and gained new skills. The best part was getting to know the client and helping her. The hardes part was dealing with behaviours but I learned how to deal with them. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the client then having fun doing client's nails when we had time.
Pros
worked with positive professionals
Cons
contract ended
A continuously evolving crown corporation
Service Centre Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 July 2012
CLBC is a great place to work for those looking a secure government job. The pay is just above average for government workers. However CLBC is continuously evolving and due to changes in priority and the front line workers are overburdened with majorly reducing their quality of life. The ministry of social development has promised to add funding to enable CLBC hire more front line workers and relieve the entire organization of the heavy workload.
Pros
free coffee and secure government job
Cons
very high workload resulting in client complaints and staff turnover