Commissionaires Employee Reviews

Unique Work environments
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 February 2017
The environment is never the same and the people are always different to work with. It is things like this that make it challenging and rewarding.Various sites of work provide great learning opportunities weather you are in an office or working for a large corporation or providing services to federal sites, the day is never the same. People we meet are always ones who make a lasting impression and have a great sense of humor as well as make our work all the more rewarding.
Pros
Learning experiences, various changing work sites an training, Professional work environments
Cons
irregular schedules, rigorous work environments, backshifts
A typical security company with a nice facade
Guard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2017
Really no different than any other security company I've worked for but pose as something better. Common sense, communication, organization - all absent. Favouritism is also rampant. Do not recommend Commissionaires or security in general.
Pros
$1.00 more than minimum wage (Or as I like to call it, poverty with style)
Cons
Everything else
This company has no interest in helping there employees
Security Guard and Mobile Patrol (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 February 2017
This is a joke, they take advantage of the stupid and they lie about benefits that are available to you as a Canadian citizen. The hours can be long and there is no recognition of work well done and no pay increases.
Pros
Cons
long hours little pay
An Interesting job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 October 2016
I worked in several different positions at this location, starting on the night shift. I spent two years on that shift and upgraded myself on my own time in order to become the 2 i/c. After six months of that I was offered the same duties on the day shift, which I accepted. I spent a little more than two years in that position,. then was offewred the position of ensuring all rules to do wity driving on the airfield were enforced, which I accepted and have been doing ever since
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Barely above minimum wage. Not enough for the responsibilities
Insensitive Management
Security (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2016
Been working for corp for quite some time and over all I've found it a great experience. Problem is with the management team. Next to no support when you have a problem.. One manager told me keep your personal problems out of work.

Maybe they should learn how to treat their staff like human beings.
Pros
Varied work
Cons
Great company to work for.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
I worked 3 years with Commissionaires, I loved working for them. The only reason I left them is because I moved provinces. I had a great site, because it was a very social environment.
Security industry
Security (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 September 2016
For some reason in the field of security, regardless of where in the country you work, everyone seems to lack any sort of common sense, courtesy, and dignity toward each other. The job itself doesn't require any skill or trade yet most people in this field think they're working in the swat team! These people desperately need a reality check!
Great place to work with new environments always making new friends
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 August 2016
Being able to work around a great bunch of people who make for a fun and interesting work environment everyday. The management and the staff we all work with everyday makes for a new learning experience and challenges us to do better and develop leadership qualities.
Pros
never the same work, always new things to learn, continuously learning.
Once in a life-time experience.
Cell Guard (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB14 September 2016
I only worked in Thompson for a summer, but I have a treasure trove of cherished memories of this job.

I got to work with great people, and felt like I really was a part of something by the end of a shift.

The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the 4 days in a row of 12 hour night shifts.
Good for people retiring
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2016
Commissionaires is not the best place to work because it consumes so much of you life and the pay doesn't compare to how much time you will spend working. management needs to step it up and work for the employees and not for contracts and themselves . Coworkers are pretty much the same. to be honest I wouldn't recommend working here everyone thinks they're in the military and have that mind state.
Pros
Pays good if you are a student or retired, plus you receive benefits
Cons
Lack of management and support, coworkers ready to throw you under the bus, If one receives a full-time schedule its seven days straight, three days off but really its 2 and half, because you would come in to work half way threw the thrid day but they call it three days, then its another seven days and four and half days off, but they will call you on your day off to come in expect it.
great company to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 December 2016
This company is a great place to work, couldn't ask for better. everyone is so friendly and willing to accommodate any schedule
fun, great staff
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 November 2016
typical day varies, duties include patrol of areas, monitor secure areas, monitor security cameras, escort people in secure areas
Fun workplace and lots of nice people
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 April 2016
I just worked for the stampede at the gates but most of the time when you needed something the managers would try to be there right away. The management was so nice. There was one or two people at each gate and everyone of them were really nice to talk to. The part i enjoyed most about the job was working at the rodeo gate and getting to see all the horses. The hardest part of the job was sitting outside in the hot weather.
N`a
See above as it is anwagivn at this position. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Company does not back employees when they need help in human resources department, in the supervisor, employee relationship areas.
fun place to work
Patrol areas, night guard, guard banks (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 May 2016
friendly busy and a great place to work and great co workers to work with they make you feel welcome but some of the jobs are low paying jobs for a single mom who travels to go to work as there are no jobs close to home for me but other than that my boss my co workers are really great and easy to talk to
great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta18 August 2016
Nice place to work, really high quality management and great benefits. Love to work there again if I had a chance, any day!
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Lack of advancement
Horrible management
Customer Service Rep – Operations & Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2016
Work environment is okay depending on what you're looking at. Some coworkers are great, others will ignore you.
Management will pretend to listen to your concerns, then turn around and nothing will be done.
Supervisor is completely biased towards certain employees and management will listen to everything they say.
No room to make your own decisions. Every step needs to be run by management and supervisor, even if it's literally 3am.
Working in the head office, but still required to wear thick uniform designed for outdoor work. Uniform required even on graveyard and weekend shifts when the building and office is separately locked down from the public. Management has been made aware on numerous occasions over the past few years. But nothing has been done so far. Management would quote being presentable to clients. The rest of the office is allowed to wear business casual during business hours when the building is open and a client would be able to walk in. Receptionist is allowed to wear baggy pants, tank tops, and flip flops on numerous occasions.
Pros
Some coworkers are very friendly
Cons
having to wear a uniform even when you're alone in the office
Predictable schedule
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2016
VERY slow paced environment

Best suited to a Lemming mentality

Predictable schedule (usually)

Average benefits

Low opportunity for advancement (despite claims to the contrary)

Supervisors prone to power trips regardless of the site

You'll bond over the ridiculousness of some of your orders but generally low morale at most sites

"meh, its better than working fast food"
Bad Experiences, Do Not Recommend
security guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 December 2015
I did not like my experience with Commissionaires or their minor division called Kinetic Security. I found their expectations for this type of business (Security) to be very unrealistic and downright ridiculous. Regular everyday Security folks have no chance at fair treatment here due to their company purpose of only wanting future and ex law enforcement officers. They are hiring all the time, extremely high turnover rate, one of the highest I have seen out of any Security Firm in BC, and very stringent selection process, which leads to constant staffing issues. Pay is very low, just above minimum wage and for the nature of the sites which are usually Government and Police sites this is unfair and just not worth anyones time. Do not recommend Commissionaires or Kinetic Security.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Many
Great place with flexible hours
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2016
Great place to work, flexible hours. Will give training so you can also pass the Ministry of Security and Correctional Services license.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9