Commissionaires Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace and lots of nice people
Gate Attendant (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABApril 19, 2016
I just worked for the stampede at the gates but most of the time when you needed something the managers would try to be there right away. The management was so nice. There was one or two people at each gate and everyone of them were really nice to talk to. The part i enjoyed most about the job was working at the rodeo gate and getting to see all the horses. The hardest part of the job was sitting outside in the hot weather.
Miltary preferences are a must if you apply
Security Guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Pros: None
Cons: None
The thing about being a commissionaire , is that you have more of a successful career being ex military or police...etc. I worked as a commissionaire for five and a half years in two different provinces. I have never worked for a more stressful company in my entire life. The C.O's, the contract managers, and the site supervisors can never communicate properly with each other, or their employees. Also if you are non police, or non military ex employee's, there is not much chance of advancement with this company. You will find that your opinions or ideas, do not count in this company. Also if you don't like being yelled at, belittled, or sworn at, then you need not apply. I know from first hand experience, from three different sites I was placed at. Also if anything goes wrong at your site, expect to accept partial or all of the blame. Your supervisor or your contract manager will make you sign a letter, that says you are responsible...... Aka guilty. Don't ever try to stand up for yourself when you're being harassed, and verbally abused.....this will get you a ticket to headquarters, where the bigger liar's protect the abusers...... Aka you're the guily one again. Don't expect to have a personal life, especially when you know that tomorrow is you day off, and you receive a phone call from dispatch.....
Begging you to help out your site. The moral of this message is..... If you like being a non- minded, non- opinionated robot who thinks little of them self.....then this is the job for you. But don't say I didn't warn you.
A good solid organisation to work for at the current Evraz post.
Guard (Current Employee), Evraz CalgaryJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: Dealing with people.
Cons: High stress.
The current site requires a twelve hour daytime and a twelve hour night shift. The guard functions as the sole voice and face of Evraz Calgary, a tubular product manufacturer.

A new day time guard must be prepared for a steep learning curve to be able to handle the intense and complicated tasks related to this type of business. Time management and high efficiency plus a detailed knowledge of processes are critical learning in this environment.

Evraz guards are subject to the clients' direction as expressed by its operations supervisors. The guard supervisor receives these directions and translates them into guards daily orders and information.

Like any good post, all co-workers are part of a "family" that works closely together as a team. The Evraz guards have developed such a relationship.

This site has a high volume of truck traffic in addition to contractors and visitors plus internal communications with Evraz staff and telephone calls. All are handled by the guard. This means prioritizing and multi tasking while remaining sharp and aware of every detail, often under high stress. At times a second guard or a supervisor will assist.

Interaction with people of all types of trades and backgrounds makes the task quite lively and interesting and certainly becomes much more than just processing numbers and names.
professioinal
by law enforcement (Former Employee), North Bay, ONJanuary 26, 2016
I work as a by law enforcement officer in the city of North Bay. I conduct mobile and foot patrols. I work mostly outdoors. The rate of pay is poor to fair.
Predictable schedule
supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2016
VERY slow paced environment

Best suited to a Lemming mentality

Predictable schedule (usually)

Average benefits

Low opportunity for advancement (despite claims to the contrary)

Supervisors prone to power trips regardless of the site

You'll bond over the ridiculousness of some of your orders but generally low morale at most sites

"meh, its better than working fast food"
Community Safety Patrol Officer (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Good compensation
Cons: None noticed
Good place to work. Employee sensitive. Typical day would include getting briefed and start the work. The atmosphere is pretty professional.
poor ro employees
Security Guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 12, 2015
co-workers are fun, and easy to get along with.
management doesn't really care about you as a person and will through you under the bus at the first chance they get
They do not stand behind there front line workers
Bad Experiences, Do Not Recommend
security guard (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
Pros: Very few
Cons: Many
I did not like my experience with Commissionaires or their minor division called Kinetic Security. I found their expectations for this type of business (Security) to be very unrealistic and downright ridiculous. Regular everyday Security folks have no chance at fair treatment here due to their company purpose of only wanting future and ex law enforcement officers. They are hiring all the time, extremely high turnover rate, one of the highest I have seen out of any Security Firm in BC, and very stringent selection process, which leads to constant staffing issues. Pay is very low, just above minimum wage and for the nature of the sites which are usually Government and Police sites this is unfair and just not worth anyones time. Do not recommend Commissionaires or Kinetic Security.
Excellent Company
Security Supervisor (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 20, 2015
Pros: excellent challenges
Cons: poor Benefits and no pension plan
I have worked at Commissionaires for 6 years and advanced as far as I can go they trained me in all stages of the process. I learned many new things such as Municipal Law Enforcement and worked with many great people.
very boring and lazy job
Door greeter (Current Employee), Ottawa South, ONNovember 20, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: very long hours
a typical day at work is sitting around for hours greeting people.
didnt really learn anything
management is very strict for the smallest things
i have no co workers
hardest part is the hours (12-14)
the most enjoyable part of my job is going home at the end of the night
NOT WHAT I THOUGHT
security guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 3, 2015
Cons: Long hours, unorganized, poor working environment, downtown locations, no full time
If you plan on working for them don't expect to get full time. They will tell you prior to being hired that you will get it, but don't be fooled as you probably won't get a full time position until you've worked for at least 3-12 months. Many workers that I talked to were awaiting full-time AND it is only contract work so there is a chance that you may lose your full-time position. Also, if you take a leave of absence (even if its a legitimate/medical reason) you will lose your full-time position and have to wait for another opening.

The hours are long but the pay is OK ($16-$18). Dispatch is incredibly rude and disorganized, as they often can't remember anything that you tell them, book you on your off days, and over book sites which leads to sending people home. They believe that people should be available 24/7 and work when its convenient for them. Yet you can call them everyday all week and not get any assignments until last minute.

While working with this company I noticed that they have their favorite employees who are allowed to get away with breaking the rules and purely slacking off, meanwhile, other workers get the blame and extra work put on their plate. I witnessed discrimination and work-place drama on a daily basis.

In addition, most of the sites are downtown so be prepared to either pay a ton in parking or take ETS, which may not work if you are on night shift.

I would not recommend this company to anyone, and I worked there for almost a year. Leave while you can, there is better ones out there. I am so glad I left.
Work place
Security Officer and Lead hand (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 2, 2015
We all have a great work environment and learn new things everyday. I have learned how to politely stop vehicles and speak to many different types of people, our management staff have both
knowledge and are willing to help you in any way possible. My coworkers are very helpful and help guide you in the right direction when you ask them for help, as well as they are great to talk with. The hardest part of the job is having to be out in all kinds of weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be to make new friends with people who you don't know but remember you treating them with respect and they also look forward to seeing and speaking to you and again and again.
Guarding prisoners.
Guard (Current Employee), Wetaskiwin, ABSeptember 24, 2015
This job is a safe, and stable key hole to the other side of society. You become a supporting factor in law enforcement without danger to yourself.
patrol large Government buildings
Security Officer escort (Former Employee), Ottawa ontarioAugust 19, 2015
Pros: very active physically, learn many new positions and meet many people
Cons: some of the duties were not always what I was used to doing
patrol entire building checking doors entrances and exits
keep log book with daily events escort contractors through High level
security areas throughout the building. cover other positions to give other security officers lunches breaks and possibly shifts
Poor management
Security guard - mobile unit (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers
Cons: Very poor management
Worst office management I've ever encountered in the Security industry. Favouritism in giving out assignments without consideration of seniority, depending if the staff likes you or not Friendly co-workers. Pay is low, long hours. Unhelpful office staff with a demeaning attitude.
needs improvement
Security Guard - Mobile Unit (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 27, 2015
Pros: some nice people
Cons: harassment issues, co-workers
There are definitely areas that need improvement. This is a massive well-established company that has a stagnant, misogynistic, too big to fail attitude and issues, such as harassment are not dealt with.
Very happy place to work
Security Professional (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 24, 2015
Pros: all is well
Cons: none
In all, no complaints, great work places, management is very helpful, a standard day is great, you know what is expected to do, work at your own pace, everybody leaves you alone, you feel great when you go home
Commissionaires Summary
Security Officer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Quiet half the night
Cons: Rotating Shift Work
I started there two years ago it was an amazing job the work experience was amazing and the co workers were friendly.
Only problem I had with the job was the rotating shift work.
working with co-workers is fun.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 26, 2015
- You learn to interact with others on a daily basis.
- Co-workers are friendly.
- Meet new people.
- Schedule of shifts are well managed by supervisor.
- The most enjoyable part of working at Commissionaires is that you are always meeting friendly people on a daily basis.
Nor AB Rgn - Poor Management & No Leadership
Patrolman (Former Employee), EdmontonApril 22, 2015
Pros: The Commissionaires are great people
Cons: Civilian management very self centered and inexperienced
It's like the CAF Officers of the 90s. The Civilian Sr staff looks out for themselves but not the Commissionaires. The pay is very poor with long hours. The CEO is nowhere to be seen when problems arise. I had to quit as the leadership that tries to mimic the military is very inexperienced and have very poor decision making skills. It is really quite disturbing the way the Commissionaires is managed in Edmonton. If this was a military unit, it would be disbanded in disgrace,