Commissionaires Employee Reviews

Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 September 2017
Since i have been with the commissionaire, i have learnt a lot both professionally, The work environment is conducive, welcoming and attractive for growth.
Pros
Attractive and continouse learning environment
Cons
Competitive salary
No positive Review
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON14 September 2017
No positive review. My so-called supervisor would show up every couple of months and does not respond to emails.

You are left to a job frustrated because there is no management.
One of the better Companies
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2017
I enjoy my job and the people I work with, Overall my experience with Commissionaires has been great and i am very grateful for everything Commissionaires has done for me
Great shift work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 August 2017
i had no problems working with the company, i think the only concern i had was the management could have been more professional while speaking to employees.
Upper management look down on Commissionaires
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 July 2017
I worked with Commissionaires Great Lakes in Toronto for 6 years. Uniforms were very expensive, and were made of cheap material. Most of the managers were snobbish to employees. They have a medal that they only awarded to the management called the Commissionaires Distinguished Service medal. None of the guards in Toronto would ever receive it, just the managers, which became a long running joke among the guards. We use to get invited to an awards dinner after 5 years with the company, but then they took that away from us to save money. At first I liked working for them, but management turned me off and I left to work with Paragon Security. I am much happier working for Paragon (better benefits).
Pros
Pay was better than some security companies
Cons
Management live in their own little world. No career advancement. Low morale.
excellent
Security officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 July 2017
They have lot of work available and you will get required hours and don't need to worry and they also provide good salary and you can survive easily and without any worry.
Pros
free game tickets
Cons
mostly not regular schedule
Interesting
Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON5 July 2017
this job is very busy, interesting, you learn new things everyday, and the hardest part about this job is dealing with the public and the negativity the public gives to enforcement officers.
Enjoyed working at Olds College
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Olds College Olds, AB15 May 2017
Working at Olds College is a delightful experience. Interacting with instructors, caretaking , catering staff and college support staff is educational and entertaining. This can not be said for the Commissionaires Management team. The Warrant Officiers were ill trained causing moral problems with staff members. In frustation members went their own way doing their own thing.One can only hope for something better.
Sometimes relaxing, sometimes very busy.
Security (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 May 2017
This was a 2 week career education development course while I was in High School.
I've learnt about giving out tickets to unpaid parked cars beside the parking meter.
I've also learnt using a hand held device for printing out the tickets. - (this was an enjoyable curve in my life).
The work isn't hard, just requires a lot of walking, sitting, or driving, depending on where you are stationed and what your task is for the day, awareness is also key, so always be alert.
Not Suitable for Those with Family
Ticket Processor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
Hours were irregular and sparse. They would expect me to work a 3 hour shift one day and if I was lucky I got an 8 hour shift overnight once a month. The minute I tried to go on vacation they expected me to be available immediately, even though they hadn't given me work up until that point.
harassment at the work place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2017
This is one of the worst companies a woman can work for in Saskatoon. It is run by ex RCMP officers and they have brought their culture with them. They will throw you under the bus for anything. I refused to give a switch blade that was confiscated back to its owner. The owner complained to the corp and I was written up even though a switch blade is an illegal weapon. On the other hand, a male commissionaire attacked a native male at social services. Even though the witness to this attack was a probation officer, the comm. had the guard file a complaint against the native saying the native attacked the guard.
Moral of this story is stay away from the corp and its RCMP supervisors. No good will come out of it.
Pros
barely a living wage
Cons
management
Meh
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2017
They are a great company with a lot of different positions. However they tend to take you off shifts of stations completely and telling you last second with can be a hassle.
Professional Security Guard Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON10 April 2017
Supervisors and upper management very professional. Free uniforms and lots of available hours. Pay was average for security work at 13$ and staff was very friendly.
Upper management are incompetent
Gaurd (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 April 2017
Upper management are incompetent bullies whose top down HR approach is reminiscent of 1950's army. Man management at the middle level is often abusive and can lead to incoherent verbal rants. This coupled with abysmal pay leads to high turnover of personnel. They are constantly hiring. It's the highest I have seen in the security industry. This leads to constant staffing issues and an inability to fulfill their contracts. Pay is just above minimum wage. God help you if you have the misfortune of dealing with Dispatch. They can be incredibly rude and disorganized, and they have no capacity to remember anything. They will book you on your off days, and over book sites which leads to the need to send people home. Their belief is that you are available 24/7 and will work when its convenient for them. Yet you will often not get any assignments until the last minute. Most of the work sites are downtown, so it will cost you a fortune in parking, or you will have to take the bus which often does not work the late runs The systemic internal pettiness is often promoted as a normal working environment. I do not recommend the Commissionaires as a job.
Pros
employment
Cons
Upper management are incompetent

Comment – 11 April 2017

I sadly had the same experience I would not recommend Commissionaires as a career choice..unless you like to screamed at by incompetent power tripping supervisors.

Fun
Comissionaires (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2017
Very professional Management. Great Team environment and Professional contracts. Working at the site's is very rewarding and in making contacts for the future.
just another security job hiding under the guise of supposed professionalism
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ontario, NS2 March 2017
Lack of written protocols and failure to follow the few there are. Inconsistencies in site training. So many verbal orders varying the written protocols that there might as well not be any procedures. Sometimes a great team member to work with, other times not so much. Constant conflict in instruction, changing daily often.

Favouritism rampant. Management will not support staff but always the client. Not allowed to take any instruction from clients.

Usually slightly higher wages than most in industry but no difference from any other company in the industry.

Corporation not able to maintain contracts. Pays little or no attention to employee input and concerns about site issues, which could often times help to preserve the contract.

An environment of management often failing to do an adequate, timely or complete job leaving regular employees scrambling and of necessity having to make decisions they should not be put in a position to have to make.

Corporation always riding a fine line with respect labour legislation and OHS. Employee needs to have an excellent understanding of both in order to protect themselves and other employees.

Accessibility to contracts is often limited to employees with access to a vehicle due to lack of suitable public transportation. Pay rate isn't adequate to support vehicle ownership. Parking rates will often exceed first two hours net pay for many sites.

Pay scale only suited to individuals as a supplementary income. Inadequate generally thru entire industry to provide income at greater than poverty level. Todays retirement income
  more... from the preferred military and police industry is high enough that recruitment from them is substantially reduced.  less
Pros
people, lots of times off if needed
Cons
no benefits, lack of management support, shift work, CYA at all times
This company has no interest in helping there employees
Security Guard and Mobile Patrol (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 February 2017
This is a joke, they take advantage of the stupid and they lie about benefits that are available to you as a Canadian citizen. The hours can be long and there is no recognition of work well done and no pay increases.
Pros
Cons
long hours little pay
Unique Work environments
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 February 2017
The environment is never the same and the people are always different to work with. It is things like this that make it challenging and rewarding.Various sites of work provide great learning opportunities weather you are in an office or working for a large corporation or providing services to federal sites, the day is never the same. People we meet are always ones who make a lasting impression and have a great sense of humor as well as make our work all the more rewarding.
Pros
Learning experiences, various changing work sites an training, Professional work environments
Cons
irregular schedules, rigorous work environments, backshifts
A typical security company with a nice facade
Guard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2017
Really no different than any other security company I've worked for but pose as something better. Common sense, communication, organization - all absent. Favouritism is also rampant. Do not recommend Commissionaires or security in general.
Pros
$1.00 more than minimum wage (Or as I like to call it, poverty with style)
Cons
Everything else
great company to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 December 2016
This company is a great place to work, couldn't ask for better. everyone is so friendly and willing to accommodate any schedule