Commissionaires Employee Reviews

Sometimes relaxing, sometimes very busy.
Security (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 May 2017
This was a 2 week career education development course while I was in High School.
I've learnt about giving out tickets to unpaid parked cars beside the parking meter.
I've also learnt using a hand held device for printing out the tickets. - (this was an enjoyable curve in my life).
The work isn't hard, just requires a lot of walking, sitting, or driving, depending on where you are stationed and what your task is for the day, awareness is also key, so always be alert.
Not Suitable for Those with Family
Ticket Processor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
Hours were irregular and sparse. They would expect me to work a 3 hour shift one day and if I was lucky I got an 8 hour shift overnight once a month. The minute I tried to go on vacation they expected me to be available immediately, even though they hadn't given me work up until that point.
harassment at the work place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2017
This is one of the worst companies a woman can work for in Saskatoon. It is run by ex RCMP officers and they have brought their culture with them. They will throw you under the bus for anything. I refused to give a switch blade that was confiscated back to its owner. The owner complained to the corp and I was written up even though a switch blade is an illegal weapon. On the other hand, a male commissionaire attacked a native male at social services. Even though the witness to this attack was a probation officer, the comm. had the guard file a complaint against the native saying the native attacked the guard.
Moral of this story is stay away from the corp and its RCMP supervisors. No good will come out of it.
Pros
barely a living wage
Cons
management
Meh
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2017
They are a great company with a lot of different positions. However they tend to take you off shifts of stations completely and telling you last second with can be a hassle.
Professional Security Guard Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON10 April 2017
Supervisors and upper management very professional. Free uniforms and lots of available hours. Pay was average for security work at 13$ and staff was very friendly.
Upper management are incompetent
Gaurd (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 April 2017
Upper management are incompetent bullies whose top down HR approach is reminiscent of 1950's army. Man management at the middle level is often abusive and can lead to incoherent verbal rants. This coupled with abysmal pay leads to high turnover of personnel. They are constantly hiring. It's the highest I have seen in the security industry. This leads to constant staffing issues and an inability to fulfill their contracts. Pay is just above minimum wage. God help you if you have the misfortune of dealing with Dispatch. They can be incredibly rude and disorganized, and they have no capacity to remember anything. They will book you on your off days, and over book sites which leads to the need to send people home. Their belief is that you are available 24/7 and will work when its convenient for them. Yet you will often not get any assignments until the last minute. Most of the work sites are downtown, so it will cost you a fortune in parking, or you will have to take the bus which often does not work the late runs The systemic internal pettiness is often promoted as a normal working environment. I do not recommend the Commissionaires as a job.
Pros
employment
Cons
Upper management are incompetent

Comment – 11 April 2017

I sadly had the same experience I would not recommend Commissionaires as a career choice..unless you like to screamed at by incompetent power tripping supervisors.

Fun
Comissionaires (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2017
Very professional Management. Great Team environment and Professional contracts. Working at the site's is very rewarding and in making contacts for the future.
just another security job hiding under the guise of supposed professionalism
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ontario, NS2 March 2017
Lack of written protocols and failure to follow the few there are. Inconsistencies in site training. So many verbal orders varying the written protocols that there might as well not be any procedures. Sometimes a great team member to work with, other times not so much. Constant conflict in instruction, changing daily often.

Favouritism rampant. Management will not support staff but always the client. Not allowed to take any instruction from clients.

Usually slightly higher wages than most in industry but no difference from any other company in the industry.

Corporation not able to maintain contracts. Pays little or no attention to employee input and concerns about site issues, which could often times help to preserve the contract.

An environment of management often failing to do an adequate, timely or complete job leaving regular employees scrambling and of necessity having to make decisions they should not be put in a position to have to make.

Corporation always riding a fine line with respect labour legislation and OHS. Employee needs to have an excellent understanding of both in order to protect themselves and other employees.

Accessibility to contracts is often limited to employees with access to a vehicle due to lack of suitable public transportation. Pay rate isn't adequate to support vehicle ownership. Parking rates will often exceed first two hours net pay for many sites.

Pay scale only suited to individuals as a supplementary income. Inadequate generally thru entire industry to provide income at greater than poverty level. Todays retirement income
  more... from the preferred military and police industry is high enough that recruitment from them is substantially reduced.  less
Pros
people, lots of times off if needed
Cons
no benefits, lack of management support, shift work, CYA at all times
This company has no interest in helping there employees
Security Guard and Mobile Patrol (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 February 2017
This is a joke, they take advantage of the stupid and they lie about benefits that are available to you as a Canadian citizen. The hours can be long and there is no recognition of work well done and no pay increases.
Pros
Cons
long hours little pay
Unique Work environments
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 February 2017
The environment is never the same and the people are always different to work with. It is things like this that make it challenging and rewarding.Various sites of work provide great learning opportunities weather you are in an office or working for a large corporation or providing services to federal sites, the day is never the same. People we meet are always ones who make a lasting impression and have a great sense of humor as well as make our work all the more rewarding.
Pros
Learning experiences, various changing work sites an training, Professional work environments
Cons
irregular schedules, rigorous work environments, backshifts

Want to know more about Commissionaires?

Ask a question
A typical security company with a nice facade
Guard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2017
Really no different than any other security company I've worked for but pose as something better. Common sense, communication, organization - all absent. Favouritism is also rampant. Do not recommend Commissionaires or security in general.
Pros
$1.00 more than minimum wage (Or as I like to call it, poverty with style)
Cons
Everything else
great company to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 December 2016
This company is a great place to work, couldn't ask for better. everyone is so friendly and willing to accommodate any schedule
Insensitive Management
Security (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2016
Been working for corp for quite some time and over all I've found it a great experience. Problem is with the management team. Next to no support when you have a problem.. One manager told me keep your personal problems out of work.

Maybe they should learn how to treat their staff like human beings.
Pros
Varied work
Cons
Once in a life-time experience.
Cell Guard (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB14 September 2016
I only worked in Thompson for a summer, but I have a treasure trove of cherished memories of this job.

I got to work with great people, and felt like I really was a part of something by the end of a shift.

The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the 4 days in a row of 12 hour night shifts.
Security industry
Security (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 September 2016
For some reason in the field of security, regardless of where in the country you work, everyone seems to lack any sort of common sense, courtesy, and dignity toward each other. The job itself doesn't require any skill or trade yet most people in this field think they're working in the swat team! These people desperately need a reality check!
N`a
See above as it is anwagivn at this position. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Company does not back employees when they need help in human resources department, in the supervisor, employee relationship areas.
great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta18 August 2016
Nice place to work, really high quality management and great benefits. Love to work there again if I had a chance, any day!
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Lack of advancement
Great place to work with new environments always making new friends
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 August 2016
Being able to work around a great bunch of people who make for a fun and interesting work environment everyday. The management and the staff we all work with everyday makes for a new learning experience and challenges us to do better and develop leadership qualities.
Pros
never the same work, always new things to learn, continuously learning.
Horrible management
Customer Service Rep – Operations & Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2016
Work environment is okay depending on what you're looking at. Some coworkers are great, others will ignore you.
Management will pretend to listen to your concerns, then turn around and nothing will be done.
Supervisor is completely biased towards certain employees and management will listen to everything they say.
No room to make your own decisions. Every step needs to be run by management and supervisor, even if it's literally 3am.
Working in the head office, but still required to wear thick uniform designed for outdoor work. Uniform required even on graveyard and weekend shifts when the building and office is separately locked down from the public. Management has been made aware on numerous occasions over the past few years. But nothing has been done so far. Management would quote being presentable to clients. The rest of the office is allowed to wear business casual during business hours when the building is open and a client would be able to walk in. Receptionist is allowed to wear baggy pants, tank tops, and flip flops on numerous occasions.
Pros
Some coworkers are very friendly
Cons
having to wear a uniform even when you're alone in the office
Good for people retiring
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2016
Commissionaires is not the best place to work because it consumes so much of you life and the pay doesn't compare to how much time you will spend working. management needs to step it up and work for the employees and not for contracts and themselves . Coworkers are pretty much the same. to be honest I wouldn't recommend working here everyone thinks they're in the military and have that mind state.
Pros
Pays good if you are a student or retired, plus you receive benefits
Cons
Lack of management and support, coworkers ready to throw you under the bus, If one receives a full-time schedule its seven days straight, three days off but really its 2 and half, because you would come in to work half way threw the thrid day but they call it three days, then its another seven days and four and half days off, but they will call you on your day off to come in expect it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commissionaires. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9