Commissionaires Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
NOT WHAT I THOUGHT
security guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 3, 2015
Cons: Long hours, unorganized, poor working environment, downtown locations, no full time
If you plan on working for them don't expect to get full time. They will tell you prior to being hired that you will get it, but don't be fooled as you probably won't get a full time position until you've worked for at least 3-12 months. Many workers that I talked to were awaiting full-time AND it is only contract work so there is a chance that you may lose your full-time position. Also, if you take a leave of absence (even if its a legitimate/medical reason) you will lose your full-time position and have to wait for another opening.

The hours are long but the pay is OK ($16-$18). Dispatch is incredibly rude and disorganized, as they often can't remember anything that you tell them, book you on your off days, and over book sites which leads to sending people home. They believe that people should be available 24/7 and work when its convenient for them. Yet you can call them everyday all week and not get any assignments until last minute.

While working with this company I noticed that they have their favorite employees who are allowed to get away with breaking the rules and purely slacking off, meanwhile, other workers get the blame and extra work put on their plate. I witnessed discrimination and work-place drama on a daily basis.

In addition, most of the sites are downtown so be prepared to either pay a ton in parking or take ETS, which may not work if you are on night shift.

I would not recommend this company to anyone, and I worked there for almost a year. Leave while you can, there is better ones out there. I am so glad I left.
Low pay equals high employee turn over
Bylaw Enforcement (Former Employee), BCAugust 6, 2012
Pros: gain experience required by better companies
Cons: low pay, no support, little training, poor management
After working for commissionaires for three years I have no respect for the company or it's management team. Any one with skills and half a brain knows they're worth more than 12 or at best 15 dollars an hour. Bylaw enforcement requires good verbal skills and an understanding of the legislation being enforced. How can you put someone who has no experience into this position and expect them to succeed. What usually happens is once a person realizes what bylaw and animal control requires of them they quit. Commissionaires hires someone new and the city or client never gets a trained staff capable of carrying the work load. I worked for them for the bylaw experience required by municipalities for city positions. I would never suggest anyone think Commissionaires is a good choice for long term employment.
Good place for new to industry. lot can learn that how you can handle" Normal and abnormal behaviors"
Security Officer (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: christmas and other small lunches
Cons: long hours to stand
Management Not bad.

Learned number of investigative skills, day by day close to the client and customer satisfaction, Build up more customer service oriented,
not include only these. This box isn't enough to fill.

Most of the times, i do work on my own. few times, work with others.
well, good team. we have good buddy system..

Nothing seems to me, harder while i am doing my job. security isn't the job form me. It's my passion. i do enjoy every movement of my day.

i do like to take responsibility of my job. this is why, i never i get tired of doing.

i enjoyed every movement of job except few times if i felt unhealthy mode. otherwise, should be fine.
Bad Experiences, Do Not Recommend
security guard (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
Pros: Very few
Cons: Many
I did not like my experience with Commissionaires or their minor division called Kinetic Security. I found their expectations for this type of business (Security) to be very unrealistic and downright ridiculous. Regular everyday Security folks have no chance at fair treatment here due to their company purpose of only wanting future and ex law enforcement officers. They are hiring all the time, extremely high turnover rate, one of the highest I have seen out of any Security Firm in BC, and very stringent selection process, which leads to constant staffing issues. Pay is very low, just above minimum wage and for the nature of the sites which are usually Government and Police sites this is unfair and just not worth anyones time. Do not recommend Commissionaires or Kinetic Security.
Work place
Security Officer and Lead hand (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 2, 2015
We all have a great work environment and learn new things everyday. I have learned how to politely stop vehicles and speak to many different types of people, our management staff have both
knowledge and are willing to help you in any way possible. My coworkers are very helpful and help guide you in the right direction when you ask them for help, as well as they are great to talk with. The hardest part of the job is having to be out in all kinds of weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be to make new friends with people who you don't know but remember you treating them with respect and they also look forward to seeing and speaking to you and again and again.
One of best company to work for. You have one of the best trening on the security industry and the most capabil people to help you.
Sergeant Supervisor and Training officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: there apreciation for a job well done
Cons: no cons....
A typical day at work
Is to go and help your coworkers or the clients with ther problems and to a give them the confidence are protected and secure.
Be a open mind person and confident with the job you do is one of the best.

What you learned
To respect your coworkers and the clients working with you. (To respect people)

To be able to make and prouve the job done by your team is the best.

Your co-workers
Are equal with you and must be respected understended exact like you.
(They are the best)

The hardest part of the job
(To go home).

The most enjoyable part of the job
When you see clients,coworkers being happy and ready to help and to share ther hapines with you.
Best Security Company work for
Security Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: it is great company work for and highly recommended.
Cons: there is not too many permanent postions available but it takes time to get one.
Commissionaires is not a like other security companies. Other Security companies even can not get closer to what the Commissionaires does. They operates totally different and treat their employees with respect. It is the best Security Company work for but there are very few permanent positions are available. Because the pay is higher than other security companies, people keep their positions for long time. Most of Commissionaire are ex-veterans or retired police officers. Because it is reputation, Commissionaires can be also great reference for future career. People works in the scheduler department are very polite and respectful. They treat Commissionares with respect.
12 hour days looking at a computer
Security Guard (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2013
Typical day at work is sitting in front of a computer for 12 hours with only 2 20 min breaks. trying to balance people walking up to your desk, answering phones, monitoring cameras and alarms, and responding to alarms.

management only ever see the bad and negative things and never or rarely say good job. Co workers have low moral and dont care about their jobs because the management doesnt respect us.

Employers expect you to pick up extra shift but wont approve vacation time.
Nor AB Rgn - Poor Management & No Leadership
Patrolman (Former Employee), EdmontonApril 22, 2015
Pros: The Commissionaires are great people
Cons: Civilian management very self centered and inexperienced
It's like the CAF Officers of the 90s. The Civilian Sr staff looks out for themselves but not the Commissionaires. The pay is very poor with long hours. The CEO is nowhere to be seen when problems arise. I had to quit as the leadership that tries to mimic the military is very inexperienced and have very poor decision making skills. It is really quite disturbing the way the Commissionaires is managed in Edmonton. If this was a military unit, it would be disbanded in disgrace,
This is a great company to work for.
MST OAKVILLE (Current Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: i am sort of my own boss.
Cons: some nights feel longer than others
I start my patrols at 6:00 pm with checking for any notes left from the previous shift and get my patrol log ready to go, | leave the office and do a complete circle check on the vehicle I will be driving. I start my patrols and drive to different locations all night. I return to the office shortly after 5:00 am and complete my patrol log and enter all the information into the computer and email this information to Head Office.
An enjoyable place to work.
Security/Receptionist (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: volunteering for the many charities the company was involved in.
Cons: no benefits package offered
I enjoyed working for the Commissionaire Corp. My site supervisor and I worked well together to make our work place a enjoyable place to work for all. I enjoyed working with the public that visited our work site and all of my co-workers as well. The hardest part of this job was the ours, when I started I was working a 14.5 hour days 3 days a week and then my ours were cut down to 7 hours a day 5 days a week.
great coworkers, strict management, low pay.
security guard (Current Employee), london, onJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: low pay, poor managment
Fun place to work with great coworkers but the pay is low and expectations are high. Management depends on the person, some are good and some are bad. Also they like to "accidently" pay you less then you actually worked and not notice. Then they make you send in paystubs proving that you worked the hours you say you didn't get paid for, my last pay was for 5 hours and I got paid 93 cents.
patrol large Government buildings
Security Officer escort (Former Employee), Ottawa ontarioAugust 19, 2015
Pros: very active physically, learn many new positions and meet many people
Cons: some of the duties were not always what I was used to doing
patrol entire building checking doors entrances and exits
keep log book with daily events escort contractors through High level
security areas throughout the building. cover other positions to give other security officers lunches breaks and possibly shifts
Salary benifits
Security/Receptionist (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMay 29, 2012
Pros: managers were great to work for.
Cons: long hours and low salary and no benifits
A typical day at work would start and 7am to 9pm. I would open the front entrance and receive parcels for the employees. E-mail employees of thier parcels and thiere visitors. I would assign visitor passes. After 5pm the front entrance would lock and I would do my rounds of the floors. At 9pm I would do my last round of the night and go home. I would do this 3 times a week.
Predictable schedule
supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2016
VERY slow paced environment

Best suited to a Lemming mentality

Predictable schedule (usually)

Average benefits

Low opportunity for advancement (despite claims to the contrary)

Supervisors prone to power trips regardless of the site

You'll bond over the ridiculousness of some of your orders but generally low morale at most sites

"meh, its better than working fast food"
Steady, reliable and enjoyable work !
Security Guard (full-time) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2014
Pros: stability.
Cons: can be long
An opportunity to grow, and learn how to be more vigilant. I had to be ready to report or signal any occurrences, on different government work sites. This is the type of work, that permits you to discover or em-better your observing skills. You can be reminded of how to be more attentive to details.
dealing with tourist, and local people
Security (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABOctober 30, 2014
Pros: freindly atmosphere
Cons: deling with intoxicated people
keeping grounds clear of intoxicated people, theft. Also with any unhappy people, and directing people to right areas they need to get info. worked on my own at site. dealt with traffic problems as there was a dump site for trailers there as well. liked to talk and meeting with tourist from all over.
very boring and lazy job
Door greeter (Current Employee), Ottawa South, ONNovember 20, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: very long hours
a typical day at work is sitting around for hours greeting people.
didnt really learn anything
management is very strict for the smallest things
i have no co workers
hardest part is the hours (12-14)
the most enjoyable part of my job is going home at the end of the night
Excellent Company
Security Supervisor (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 20, 2015
Pros: excellent challenges
Cons: poor Benefits and no pension plan
I have worked at Commissionaires for 6 years and advanced as far as I can go they trained me in all stages of the process. I learned many new things such as Municipal Law Enforcement and worked with many great people.
Poor management
Security guard - mobile unit (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers
Cons: Very poor management
Worst office management I've ever encountered in the Security industry. Favouritism in giving out assignments without consideration of seniority, depending if the staff likes you or not Friendly co-workers. Pay is low, long hours. Unhelpful office staff with a demeaning attitude.