Commissionaires Employee Reviews

fun, great staff
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 November 2016
typical day varies, duties include patrol of areas, monitor secure areas, monitor security cameras, escort people in secure areas
An Interesting job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 October 2016
I worked in several different positions at this location, starting on the night shift. I spent two years on that shift and upgraded myself on my own time in order to become the 2 i/c. After six months of that I was offered the same duties on the day shift, which I accepted. I spent a little more than two years in that position,. then was offewred the position of ensuring all rules to do wity driving on the airfield were enforced, which I accepted and have been doing ever since
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Barely above minimum wage. Not enough for the responsibilities
Once in a life-time experience.
Cell Guard (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB14 September 2016
I only worked in Thompson for a summer, but I have a treasure trove of cherished memories of this job.

I got to work with great people, and felt like I really was a part of something by the end of a shift.

The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the 4 days in a row of 12 hour night shifts.
Security industry
Security (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 September 2016
For some reason in the field of security, regardless of where in the country you work, everyone seems to lack any sort of common sense, courtesy, and dignity toward each other. The job itself doesn't require any skill or trade yet most people in this field think they're working in the swat team! These people desperately need a reality check!
N`a
See above as it is anwagivn at this position. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Company does not back employees when they need help in human resources department, in the supervisor, employee relationship areas.
great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta18 August 2016
Nice place to work, really high quality management and great benefits. Love to work there again if I had a chance, any day!
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Lack of advancement
Great place to work with new environments always making new friends
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 August 2016
Being able to work around a great bunch of people who make for a fun and interesting work environment everyday. The management and the staff we all work with everyday makes for a new learning experience and challenges us to do better and develop leadership qualities.
Pros
never the same work, always new things to learn, continuously learning.
Depends
Grunt who trains management... (Current Employee) –  Ontario26 July 2016
Where I'm from the corps has gone downhill fast and hard. Between loosing good contracts and gaining bad ones, hiring a lot of people who don't want to work and or call in sick just because they don't want to work a certain shift. I had a full time spot but then due to a false complaint from a client lost it and never recovered from the job loss. (Management have no clue how to do proper investigations)

work hours for a spare range from 0 to 100 hours in a week.

Often pulling 16+ hour days as management doesn't seem to realize some of us have already worked a full shift elsewhere, but they don't care as they require another site's shift to be filled.

Promotions and full time jobs always go to lesser experienced persons and favouritism is displayed. (I'm currently sitting 0 for 12 attempts) and there's others like me in this regard..

Site managers are split when it comes to actually protecting and or assisting their staff is issues arise. The other half doesn't care at all and let's whatever happen. The guards know more about the sites than the upper management that's supposed to supervise them.

Depending on the site guards are either useful and good at their jobs or they vanish once shift starts and only show up at the end of shift to leave.

Training is hit or miss, some guards know their job inside and out and others are way off. Training shifts are paid at least, courses all but the health and safety ones, (they just gave the guys a small book to read and that's it..) refused to pay and send our jhsc committee guys for training (like OSHA says to, let
  more... alone promised to do the in house training but that's yet to materialize)

Probably biggest issue is wages. They range from 11.50 to 17.40.
The sites with the most responsibility always seem to have the lower end of pay rate. And the company as a whole seems to deny newer contracts based on the pay rate that the guards will be making. Which is a good start but a tad too late as they a high turn over for guards.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Horrible management
Customer Service Rep – Operations & Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2016
Work environment is okay depending on what you're looking at. Some coworkers are great, others will ignore you.
Management will pretend to listen to your concerns, then turn around and nothing will be done.
Supervisor is completely biased towards certain employees and management will listen to everything they say.
No room to make your own decisions. Every step needs to be run by management and supervisor, even if it's literally 3am.
Working in the head office, but still required to wear thick uniform designed for outdoor work. Uniform required even on graveyard and weekend shifts when the building and office is separately locked down from the public. Management has been made aware on numerous occasions over the past few years. But nothing has been done so far. Management would quote being presentable to clients. The rest of the office is allowed to wear business casual during business hours when the building is open and a client would be able to walk in. Receptionist is allowed to wear baggy pants, tank tops, and flip flops on numerous occasions.
Pros
Some coworkers are very friendly
Cons
having to wear a uniform even when you're alone in the office
Good for people retiring
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2016
Commissionaires is not the best place to work because it consumes so much of you life and the pay doesn't compare to how much time you will spend working. management needs to step it up and work for the employees and not for contracts and themselves . Coworkers are pretty much the same. to be honest I wouldn't recommend working here everyone thinks they're in the military and have that mind state.
Pros
Pays good if you are a student or retired, plus you receive benefits
Cons
Lack of management and support, coworkers ready to throw you under the bus, If one receives a full-time schedule its seven days straight, three days off but really its 2 and half, because you would come in to work half way threw the thrid day but they call it three days, then its another seven days and four and half days off, but they will call you on your day off to come in expect it.
Dead end unless ex-military
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ontario21 May 2016
I do not recommend this organization to anyone other than ex-military or ex-police force, you will be over looked for advancement every time. Rule of thumb to remember is that general rules do no apply to management and as far as your opinion goes, if they wanted it they would tell you what it is.

Typical shift runs 12 hours that alternate between mornings and graveyard every two or so days. Your days off are often not your own and you will be constantly harassed to pick up the slack for incompetent management who won't bother to schedule despite it being their job to do so. Should you decide on assisting them on your time off pay close attention to your pay, it's not uncommon to get short changed what you're owed. As far as the job itself is concerned if there's any dispute any whatsoever, even if you were right in doing your job, being verbally or physically abused by the public or the contract holder don't expect management to have your back or won't stand up for you. In fact they generally have no qualms about throwing you under the bus to save themselves or the contract. The only time you will ever see anything swing your way is if management see a possible lawsuit in your favor and will do anything to placate the situation to avoid it; these matters are usually handled by the B.O.M. and not regular management.

The organization is filled with liars and backstabbers. Management will lie to keep you in a position, they will lie to get you out of your position. A lot of the regular employees are just as bad, they will gossip and lie to get what they want and have no
  more... conscious when going after promotions. The hardest part of this job is trying to stay positive. Speaking about promotions, the promotional process normally goes through competitions where anyone from the Commissionaires can apply: unless management has already hand picked who they want and will ignore the process all together to place that person into the position.

While the wages are slightly more than you'll find elsewhere but the cons far outweigh the pros. Save yourself some sleep, your social life, and your sanity and find work elsewhere; trust me you wont regret this decision. Truthfully I have never worked for a more underhanded organization in my life and would not recommend to anyone. The most enjoyable part of the day is when I get to go home at the beginning of my weekend and not have to think about this organization for a few days.
Pros
Slightly higher wages than fast food
Cons
Everything else
fun place to work
Patrol areas, night guard, guard banks (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 May 2016
friendly busy and a great place to work and great co workers to work with they make you feel welcome but some of the jobs are low paying jobs for a single mom who travels to go to work as there are no jobs close to home for me but other than that my boss my co workers are really great and easy to talk to
Fun workplace and lots of nice people
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 April 2016
I just worked for the stampede at the gates but most of the time when you needed something the managers would try to be there right away. The management was so nice. There was one or two people at each gate and everyone of them were really nice to talk to. The part i enjoyed most about the job was working at the rodeo gate and getting to see all the horses. The hardest part of the job was sitting outside in the hot weather.
Great place with flexible hours
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2016
Great place to work, flexible hours. Will give training so you can also pass the Ministry of Security and Correctional Services license.
Miltary preferences are a must if you apply
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
The thing about being a commissionaire , is that you have more of a successful career being ex military or police...etc. I worked as a commissionaire for five and a half years in two different provinces. I have never worked for a more stressful company in my entire life. The C.O's, the contract managers, and the site supervisors can never communicate properly with each other, or their employees. Also if you are non police, or non military ex employee's, there is not much chance of advancement with this company. You will find that your opinions or ideas, do not count in this company. Also if you don't like being yelled at, belittled, or sworn at, then you need not apply. I know from first hand experience, from three different sites I was placed at. Also if anything goes wrong at your site, expect to accept partial or all of the blame. Your supervisor or your contract manager will make you sign a letter, that says you are responsible...... Aka guilty. Don't ever try to stand up for yourself when you're being harassed, and verbally abused.....this will get you a ticket to headquarters, where the bigger liar's protect the abusers...... Aka you're the guily one again. Don't expect to have a personal life, especially when you know that tomorrow is you day off, and you receive a phone call from dispatch.....
Begging you to help out your site. The moral of this message is..... If you like being a non- minded, non- opinionated robot who thinks little of them self.....then this is the job for you. But don't say I didn't warn you.
Cons
A good solid organisation to work for at the current Evraz post.
Guard (Current Employee) –  Evraz Calgary29 January 2016
The current site requires a twelve hour daytime and a twelve hour night shift. The guard functions as the sole voice and face of Evraz Calgary, a tubular product manufacturer.

A new day time guard must be prepared for a steep learning curve to be able to handle the intense and complicated tasks related to this type of business. Time management and high efficiency plus a detailed knowledge of processes are critical learning in this environment.

Evraz guards are subject to the clients' direction as expressed by its operations supervisors. The guard supervisor receives these directions and translates them into guards daily orders and information.

Like any good post, all co-workers are part of a "family" that works closely together as a team. The Evraz guards have developed such a relationship.

This site has a high volume of truck traffic in addition to contractors and visitors plus internal communications with Evraz staff and telephone calls. All are handled by the guard. This means prioritizing and multi tasking while remaining sharp and aware of every detail, often under high stress. At times a second guard or a supervisor will assist.

Interaction with people of all types of trades and backgrounds makes the task quite lively and interesting and certainly becomes much more than just processing numbers and names.
Pros
Dealing with people.
Cons
High stress.
professioinal
by law enforcement (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON26 January 2016
I work as a by law enforcement officer in the city of North Bay. I conduct mobile and foot patrols. I work mostly outdoors. The rate of pay is poor to fair.
Predictable schedule
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2016
VERY slow paced environment

Best suited to a Lemming mentality

Predictable schedule (usually)

Average benefits

Low opportunity for advancement (despite claims to the contrary)

Supervisors prone to power trips regardless of the site

You'll bond over the ridiculousness of some of your orders but generally low morale at most sites

"meh, its better than working fast food"
Community Safety Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 January 2016
Good place to work. Employee sensitive. Typical day would include getting briefed and start the work. The atmosphere is pretty professional.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
None noticed
poor ro employees
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 December 2015
co-workers are fun, and easy to get along with.
management doesn't really care about you as a person and will through you under the bus at the first chance they get
They do not stand behind there front line workers