Commissionaires Ottawa Employee Reviews in Canada

Typical day at work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 14, 2016
I love to stay up to date with my surroundings. I have learned to remain calm when dealing with emergency situations with the help of our superiors and my fellow colleagues. It is most enjoyable in achieving serving the clients with the utmost respect and complete discretion and utmost, serving them with an awesome smile. Each day is different; we could be dealing with alarms, or injured person to a person in distress on the telephone. Training new incoming employee for a post and writing incident reports. Respecting the work ethics and the chain of command.
Commissionaires Ottawa is a great place to work
Night Section Supervisor (Chief Warrant Officer) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 31, 2015
I really enjoy being a Commissionaire! I have been fortunate enough to have been promoted 5 times in the last 6 years. I have received excellent training and on-the-job instructions from really reliable and greatly experienced individuals. Where I am currently working is almost a family feeling where one guard will help another.

There is always room for advancement. There is also a lot of flexibility in the hours that you work as well. I know many students from various colleges and universities that really appreciate the flexibility in the hours that they work.
excellent
Drivers Abstract -Driver G (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2015
could use some improvements
with management

adequate breaks , report writing , access control

hardest part of job is management
constant supervision

colleaques can be better
enjoyment part of job is when i work alone
Pros
great to work for
Cons
length of standing
always learning
SHIFT SUPERVISOR/CONSOL OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 23, 2015
I love this job, it is very busy, I have a great team and love working with the public. I like learning about Security and keeping people safe
Pros
Dealing with people all the time
Cons
Good work for students, not a career
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 8, 2012
I enjoy working with the commissionaires, but I want a career now and to have all the things I would like in life I can't work for a job that pays this low. Though it pays better then other security jobs. I am ready to start a career and not just work a job that helps me get by.
Pros
friendly employees, hard working, good training, some possible future opportunities
Cons
long hours, bad management skills, night shifts
work review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 8, 2015
Offers flexible hours, excellent for students or for a second job. Shift work, rotations, 8 to twelve hour shifts. Different positions like rover,desk jobs etc. locations. Best pay rate.
Very productive and motivating environment.
Front desk receptionist, security guard. (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On.August 31, 2015
i personally found it quite interesting to work for them.
there was always more to learn, and the people made the job much more enjoyable.
It's an OK in-between job, or a job for students or old men. There are few to no opportunities for advancement, and job security is practically nil.
Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 27, 2013
A typical day at work is thus: Sit in front of three computer monitors that cycle through CCTV security camera feed. Make sure no one enters the building without express permission of the employer. Foot patrols every couple of hours or so. Minimal interaction with the clientele. Lots of opportunity for reading.

I learned that security is not a career, but a job.

Management has been shaky, but corrections have been made and people replaced, and now it's tip-top. The operation at my job-site is now extremely efficient, which is a relief and a welcome change.

There really is no "hard part" to this job, provided you have the most basic people skills and can stay awake for 8 hours with little to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with on my shift. They're great guys, and the employees in the building are generally very friendly and personable. There have been a few challenges, but that was mostly because the employees had come to expect difficulties from the guards; when they found that the new management and guard (me) were willing to actually help them, those difficulties were smoothed over immediately.
Pros
lots of opportunity to get caught up on my reading.
Cons
too much time to get caught up on my reading, no opportunity for advancement, not the best pay in the world.
Productive and great staff
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 12, 2012
The mission of Commissionaires Ottawa is to provide security services that exceed our clients' expectations by deploying the very best disciplined, experienced and trained security professionals. Duties involve patrols, access control, first aid services, creating shift reports and incident reports.

Additional duties involves dealing with clients on a daily basis, working as a receptionist, keeping office order, answering phone calls throughout the day, setting up meetings, fluent use of Exel and Outlook, data entry and displaying professional and excellent customer service.
benefits
Cons
not always available
Excellent clients, job security, work/life balanced
Security Guard/Escort/Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2013
Customer service skills important. Flexible when time off is required for personal administration. Very diverse in personalities from all co-workers in seen. You are often able to work on your own and have times to know the clients on a more personal basis.
Pros
job security
Cons
working with others not capable of job requirements
Decent employer
Consol Operator (Current Employee) –  365 Laurier West, Ottawa, ON (Industry Canada)February 1, 2012
They have lots of contracts at federals workplace. The experience can varie from site to site. Good in general.
Pros
benefits, paid holidays
Cons
night shifts
not now
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  North Bay OntarioJanuary 16, 2014
I have very little to say at this time
I work alone
some management is good
Great position and great team workers.
Senior Receptionist - Main Guard House (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 14, 2012
I loved being an employee of Commissionaires Ottawa and only resigned my position because I moved to Victoria. A typical day meant dealing with approximately 200 visitors to our counter.
Pros
great teamwork
Staff nice to work with
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay On.September 13, 2014
Working in the baggage area cleaning and collection of baggage caught
Pros
n/a
Cons
hours 4am / 12
great benefits
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 29, 2012
Doing patrols in govt offices
greeting clients and give directions
Pros
warm environment
Cons
lack of work

4.4