COMMISSIONAIRES BC Employee Reviews

Riding the coattails of history
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  BC30 May 2017
As the history of this organisation showed, veterans and retired law enforcement comprised the bulk of employees. A special clause exists(ed) for the Government of Canada to offer work to this company.
This era is passed as the wages are too low to attract many skilled people and the nature of the work is no longer governmentally based but rather generic security contracts.
Poor management support and a business plan that plans for extremely high employee turn over...note: this company will not pay for licensing or renewal and is loathe to offer benefits etc. Will not even supply uniform pants or foot wear.
Pros
reputation
Cons
slow decline in prestige
Lack of social activities, flexibility and understanding
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  595 Howe Street19 April 2017
. Unnecessary enforcement uniforms are mandatory to be worn in an office environment, only because the supervisor does not look good in casual formal. Coordinators are isolated from all of the other departments and are treated differently. Supervisor is difficult, non-understanding and basically will make your life difficult if things don't go his way
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Poor leadership and HR
a growing company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2017
working at different sites help you to expand more in taking your job post to another levels/ the hardest part of this job is moving constantly to different sites after you get use to working at one place.the most enjoyable part is customer service, helping the general public and seeing how thankful they are for you assisting them and providing safety.
Pros
always meeting new people
Cons
constantly changing sites
Great peers to work with
KENNEL ATTENDANT / RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 January 2017
Worked at an animal shelter, with great colleagues. I loved where I worked and being able to do something rewarding and care for the animals in need. Work was bittersweet on most days, given the environment and work type. Unfortunately, there was no room for advancements or room for growth. Moreover, there seemed to be a higher work load for the amount of staff that management could obtain.
Pros
Amazing colleagues
Cons
Constantly short staffed
Poor Management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 October 2016
Mobile division was a fun place to work, but management did not understand our duties & the time it took to complete tasks, therefore it was a constant battle with upper management loading extra tasks.
Pros
Work Collegues
Cons
Shift work
Unexpected work
Former employee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 July 2016
I'm working on a site that is doing things way different then regular site. Such as the security officer require to help client do Sales Representative job which also provided cleaning and washing the toilet etc.. The old commissionaire's are proud of what they do and work hard on their needed security job. But now the commissionaires throw that out the window willing to pick up any contracts outside of security professional expertise, which is make money for client while client sit back, relax and security make money for client.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
Bad management
great learning experience
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kelowna BC23 April 2015
taking fingerprints for Government of Canada CPIC Security Clearances, data entry, talking with people. I took both Basic and Advanced Security Guard Training.
Pros
something was always different
Cons
down-sized
Culture has deteriorated in recent years
Commissionaire Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2014
When I started with this company they were a society which strictly employed veterans and as such there was an excellence which could not be rivaled. In the last 10 years there has been a change in the business plan which has resulted in a deterioration in the job culture.
Pros
Worked with WW2 and Korean War veterans
Cons
Have forgotten the basics which made them a great outfit.
Great Place To work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 June 2014
Helpful Co workers I am working with The typical day of work is Daytime.
It is a job for retiries
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 April 2014
Typically the job is very boring. It doesn't matter if you are a supervisor or a commissionaire, there is very little to do and the hardest thing to do is stay awake. Most Commissionaires work shift work rotating from Grave Yard Shifts to Afternoon Shifts. This plays havoc on your internal system and can cause sickness.
Supervisors work the Day shifts. Day shifts normally begin really early in the morning, which is great, if you have a vehicle to get to the site you work at. Supervisor do a lot of human resourcing, and communication for/from general commissionaires, head office and Upper Management that the Commissionaires are contracted to. Scheduling, training etc.
Most of the commissionaires are WAY too old to be working, and they get preferential treatment because of their age.

The most enjoyable part of working for the Commissionaires is meeting and getting to know the people at the places we are contracted out to.
Pros
The places Commissionaires are contracted out to are cool.
Cons
Bad hours, REALLY BORING shifts.
A generally positive workplace but with no benifits or opportunity for advancement
Jail Guard (Current Employee) –  Smithers, BC9 May 2013
My typical day would start with me arriving at work to and signing in to various programs on the computer and checking on the prisoners well being. I would check up on the prisoners every 15-20 minutes throughout the entire shift and maintain log books on prisoner activities and behaviors. I work with RCMP members and Sheriffs to ensure prisoners attend court at various times during the day. I would also fingerprint the general public whenever required.

Over my almost twelve years of employment here I have learned to pay attention to the details and to better handle intense or negative situations. I have also learned better decision making skills as I primarily work alone, only calling upon the members if needed. Having worked there for so long, I have experienced many supervisors and other members transfering in and out of the detachment. Each new supervisor has their own way of doing things but most of them have made it very easy to adapt to each new situation and have paid attention to the needs of the guards.

The hardest part of the job is constantly being aware of the potential dangers to prisoners and guards or members and identifying when there is a problem medically with a prisoner.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with people from all walks of life and coming to work knowing I may see something I have never seen before.
Pros
Observing almost first hand how our justice system works.
Cons
No benifits and no opportunity for advancement.
It takes a certain type of person to do this job ....as it can be volitile at times
Surrey Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Surrey BC11 October 2012
Enforcing Parking violations by issuing parking tickets with time restrictions and all Parking by-laws.
Learned different parking infractions with respect to commercial and residential areas.
Representing Crown Counsel in prosecuting violators in court.
Co-workers were supportive
Confronting irate violators was the hardest part of the job
Knowing that I was doing a small part in keeping the roads safe for all
Pros
unlimited fuel and enjoyable driving
Cons
shift work
When I was layed off the company had becaome very different from when I joined. The management had changed for the worse.
LICENSED SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 April 2012
Was good and rewarding and fun at first but not at the end. very stressful place to be. Did not know what was going to come down from one minute to the next from HQ.
Pros
met, interacted lots of people, good benefits
Cons
very stressful, long hour, no pension, no security