COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Prospects think twice
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 December 2016
In my time wirking for Columbia College I saw the company go from partially caring for more than the bottom line to only caring about the bottom line.
The turnover in staff is never ending as the support is next to non-existant from the higher managers. Useful suggestions from front line employees are casually tossed into the "don't really care" pile while those that just go along with every bad decision get praised.
Promotion, if you want to refer to it as such, is not based on your time in and ability so much as the whim of the new management structure and how much you can suck up to them. There is absolutely no loyalty base here anymore since the owner took a back seat to let his son and hired number crunchers take control.
Think twice very carefully before you accept any position from this company.
Pros
Cheap lunch if you can find something that isn't coated in MSG.
Cons
Everything else. Lack of support. Lack of loyalty. The list goes on.
low salary/benefit, bad company work culture
Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 September 2016
"Everybody is seeking a way out." One of the friends that still works in Columbia told me a few days back, and I quote:"Can you believe that there are eight full-time staff have left the company in my three months here?"

No on-the-job training. You will not be provided any job-specific training or professional development coaching by HR. Just to be fair, yes, you may receive some unsystematic briefings from your supervisor and co-workers but, hey, you are on your own.

Very low pay. Look at the salary reviews and you would find the pay here is significantly lower than industry average. If you have a family to take care, a few months to feed, you may find it difficult to pay off your bills. (they pay monthly, not bi-weekly, btw)

The worst thing is no support from higher management. If you are trying to achieve anything here, dreaming is probably the best route of all. Everybody is master of ping-pong, except, of course, you are the ball.
Pros
cheap lunch for staff
Cons
low pay, no training, no advancement, no staff care
Terrible place to work
Campus Security (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
If you have been offered a job here do not take it!

The turnover here is beyond ridiculous, this is why they are constantly hiring new employees. Once you start working here you will be looking for a way out asap!
People are not appreciated unless they know how to suck up to those in power. Those who do suck up do not deserve the breaks they get.
Very fake and incompetent upper management.
Salary and benefits here are a joke, you might as well work for minimum wage at a company that will appreciate you.
Pros
A few of the workers are genuinely nice and deserve to get out!
Cons
Salary/benefits, no training, no support
Horrible Management
Residents Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 December 2016
Management is horrible. Staff are friendly but afraid of management because of job security. Students are great. Turn around on staff is very high. It's a do as they say or go home work place. Keep all opinions or ideas to yourself. No place for growth unless you are friends with upper management.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, no path for growth, poor management
Diverse Workplace
Mentor and Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 March 2017
Although I didn't get paid for it, however, I do not regret it. I was able to multitask and it required working in a diverse environment. I enjoyed getting to interact with different people and learnt one or two things about various cultures.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
I had to be on my feet for most part, so it was tiring
workplace was horrible
on call staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 July 2016
well if i can summarize my short time experience working at columbia college it would be defined as
dysfunctional workplace---everybody all over the place
staff that seem nice at first but once you get to know them they really aren't the best co-workers.
no real training---nobody sees you an asset but more of a liability and they don't invest a lot of time in showing you the ropes.
Pay was also not the greatest.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours, Boredom, no training
Great job
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton8 January 2017
I enjoyed the atypical work hours, which gave flexibility to my schedule. It was a fun way to interact with students and help them improve their language skills.
Pros
meal card plan
Cons
commuting around city to various residences
Terrible Leadership and Upper Management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 February 2016
The school sells "Total Care" to students and parents, but provides no care for their own staff. No opportunity for personal or professional growth, pay is well below scale, benefits are minimal, little opportunity to advance unless you impress the boss for some reason, no vision (aside from making as much money as possible - none of which the employees see), no intentional community development among staff/departments, little training or guidance, everyone is overworked... the list could go on. Also, because of all of these realities, turnover is very high, putting extra pressure on everyone. This is not a school with a vision for great education - it is a business with a vision for maximizing profits and minimizing expenses.

On the flip side, the students are amazing, the multicultural environment is fantastic, and many staff are wonderful people. It's really too bad that the way this place is managed just slowly destroys your soul, because it really is a unique workplace. So much wasted potential.
Pros
Students, multicultural environment
Cons
Too many to list...
Productive and fun work place
Member of a mentoring and tutoring program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 June 2016
As a provider of social services, a flexible time schedule is very important which is a standard I can meet no matter the circumstances as a casual group facilitator.
Pros
free lunches
Fun place to work with helpful staff and good management
Residence Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 July 2015
Good working place with good culture. Staff are helping and management is good. Fun place to work, less stress.

working with youth in residence and providing security, safety identification of problems and help students solving those issues and problems.
Pros
free lunch
decent job on average
Residence Chaperone Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 May 2014
my typical day at work include two shift (morning and night). I was required to supervise students while they are transport to school. the night shift requires me to supervise students until they're curfew.

Because of these job, I have gained valuable leadership experiences as well as improve my skills in problem solving and relationship management.

My co-workers were friendly and great in all aspects

The hardest part of the job was organization. The schedule constantly changed which means I must extremely flexible in terms of availability

The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to interact with people from all over the world.
good place to work
Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton9 November 2015
good place to work
Harmonious working atmosphere
Payment is not great but reasonable
work 8 hrs per day
management is systematic
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN
Campus so urity (Former Employee) –  Main street campus11 November 2014
This place is a terrible company to work for. Can't complain about the students because they are students but everything else is horrible. The students are more important than the staff and they tell you that on day one because it's a business more than a school and will fire you at the first complaint. If you do still want to work there get really good at budgeting your money, they pay next to minimum wage and neglect to tell you they pay you once a month on the last day of the month which they finally tell you after you've finished your orientation and have to wait at least 2 months for a paycheck. Last thing, kiss your social life goodbye be abuse the schedules make no sense 7-6, 11-7:30,and they get worse. Anyways don't work here you will regret it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Once a month pay
Multicultural experience
Youth Worker - Residence Night Monitor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 November 2014
I have been working for the past year as a Residence Night Monitor (Youth Worker) in the largest Boy's Residence currently in operation by C.I.C. We have nearly 400 International students (in our residence) under our care. C.I.C'.s motto is 'To treat each student as one of our own', and our staff strive each day to apply this standard in all our undertakings.

During my tenure in this position, I have had the opportunity to gain experience working with youth; ensuring that they have access to a secure and stable environment in which their Academic, Social, Emotional, and Physical well-being is maintained.

Through this job, one will soon gain added experience in handling situations with tact and diplomacy.
lively environment with a very diverse culture
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 October 2013
Working as a team with students who have come from all over the world, Columbia provides a great work environment. You learn about many different backgrounds and cultures and develop sound relationships that last for a life time.
Good school
nothing hard for capable
nothing sepcial
ok
Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 November 2015
its a good company, co workers and students make it worth wild. well built company for many years and i definitely would recommend it anyone
Good place to work with students
Business Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton28 September 2015
Good place to work with students since they constantly give you inspirations.
Fairly easily to communicate to the managament to talk about your concerns and suggestions of the your job.
Hard working will be recognized.
volunteer job
college store assistant (Former Employee) –  hamilton28 April 2015
it was a good job because I volunteered when I was a student there to help with the services they provided there and to get used to people from different backgrounds and help them get what they came to get at the college store.
Terrific Kids, Terrible Company
No seniority
No incentives
No encouragement
Nightmare!
Pros
Free food in the residence because you are not allowed to leave
Cons
The students think its prison- the staff see that it is.

2.7