COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Wasted potential
Houseparent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 October 2017
This school is disrespectful to its staff and students. The management have little to no experience in how to work with children and newcomers to Canada. I'm ashamed to have worked for such a corrupt company, especially since the students themselves were fantastic! The residences are like prison, and the management will stop at nothing to try to control it (and you). I advise anyone to skip this job and watch an episode of Orange is the New Black instead. You will see for yourself what it was like here....
Pros
Amazing students
Cons
Horrific management and poor ethics
Great Place to Work!
Security (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 October 2017
I started off at Columbia in an entry level position. I have gained so much experience since working here and have grown so much in many different ways. Columbia has helped nurture me in my career and given me opportunities to grow within the Company. It is a great place to work and the Students are absolutely wonderful.
Pros
Amazing Students, Great Staff, Great Atmosphere
Terrible place to work - staff turnover is monumental
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2017
This school makes a lot of promises when they hire you or recruit you but as soon as you start your employment with them they swiftly fall short. I have never in my life seen an organization treat their staff so disrespectfully.It is unusual for employees to last more than one year to 18 months in this workplace.
Pros
A paycheck until you can't take it anymore
Cons
Don't live up to contract promises, management treats staff very poorly
Made a mistake taking a job here
Residence staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 September 2017
I wanted nothing more then to be employed with Columbia. The students are amazing to work with but besides that I regret ending up here. Management does not like to communicate with staff. They ignore all your attempts. They pretend not to hear you or your concerns. DO not trust them when they promise you anything. Your wage will NOT increase and it is very very difficult to get any time off. They will under staff you and expect the same amount of work from you. Staff are very cliquey. The environment is not a healthy one to work in, bullying happens. I would not recommend employment with them. Management is the biggest downfall for them. They either ignore you or try bullying you into their perspectives. Do not work here
Pros
Students, free meal
Cons
everything else
good
Volunteer Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2017
Good place to be if you are looking to start your career. I learnt so much while I was there and I met so many amazing people that have helped me make decisions for my future
Run and Run fast
ACTS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2017
I spent three years of my life here that I will never get back. This organization supports bullying by it's employees . Poor wages and leadership. The turnover rate is sad and pathetic.
Pros
The students I had the pleasure of working with.
The school sucks
assistant residence director (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2017
Human Resources and Management are Incompetent. they hire young staff whom they can offer lower pay too. Good luck to anyone who took a job at this place, you will regret. Thank God I found something better with greater pay and better environment.
Pros
free lunches, students
Cons
management and human resources
Great workplace with international students
Residence Chaperone Summer Camp (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2017
Working at Columbia International College was a great experience since you get to meet people from other countries and you can be part of their language learning experience.
great environment to learn and grow
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  1003 king street west18 June 2017
You get out what you put in to your career at Columbia. A respectful and clean environment to work and learn investigative techniques to forward your progress in the law enforcement industry.
Pros
health benifits after 3 months
office admin
Student Services Officer - Academic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 April 2017
Not recommended as a full time job, as they are very likely to get rid of you 1 day before you would have become a full time employee. Sometimes students can be a little difficult to handle.
Pros
you can buy lunch at cafeteria
Cons
staff very cliquey

Want to know more about COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE?

Ask a question
Unreasonable Employee Expectations
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 April 2017
Positives: Some great co-workers
Negatives:
Management- They don't care what the bottom feeder employees think. There is no valuing of input and/or opinions
Salary- It is said that wages are competitive, but it is way below comparable jobs
Workload & Security: You are expected to do a lot of work outside of your work day. Teachers are not given any time for administrative duties. There is no prep/administrative period... all of this must be done on your own time and if not done to the employer's satisfaction, there is fear of dismissal since you're a contract employee.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
Salary & workload
Diverse Workplace
Mentor and Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 March 2017
Although I didn't get paid for it, however, I do not regret it. I was able to multitask and it required working in a diverse environment. I enjoyed getting to interact with different people and learnt one or two things about various cultures.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
I had to be on my feet for most part, so it was tiring
Terrible place to work
Campus Security (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
If you have been offered a job here do not take it!

The turnover here is beyond ridiculous, this is why they are constantly hiring new employees. Once you start working here you will be looking for a way out asap!
People are not appreciated unless they know how to suck up to those in power. Those who do suck up do not deserve the breaks they get.
Very fake and incompetent upper management.
Salary and benefits here are a joke, you might as well work for minimum wage at a company that will appreciate you.
Pros
A few of the workers are genuinely nice and deserve to get out!
Cons
Salary/benefits, no training, no support
Great job
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton8 January 2017
I enjoyed the atypical work hours, which gave flexibility to my schedule. It was a fun way to interact with students and help them improve their language skills.
Pros
meal card plan
Cons
commuting around city to various residences
Prospects think twice
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 December 2016
In my time wirking for Columbia College I saw the company go from partially caring for more than the bottom line to only caring about the bottom line.
The turnover in staff is never ending as the support is next to non-existant from the higher managers. Useful suggestions from front line employees are casually tossed into the "don't really care" pile while those that just go along with every bad decision get praised.
Promotion, if you want to refer to it as such, is not based on your time in and ability so much as the whim of the new management structure and how much you can suck up to them. There is absolutely no loyalty base here anymore since the owner took a back seat to let his son and hired number crunchers take control.
Think twice very carefully before you accept any position from this company.
Pros
Cheap lunch if you can find something that isn't coated in MSG.
Cons
Everything else. Lack of support. Lack of loyalty. The list goes on.
Horrible Management
Residents Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 December 2016
Management is horrible. Staff are friendly but afraid of management because of job security. Students are great. Turn around on staff is very high. It's a do as they say or go home work place. Keep all opinions or ideas to yourself. No place for growth unless you are friends with upper management.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, no path for growth, poor management
low salary/benefit, bad company work culture
Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 September 2016
"Everybody is seeking a way out." One of the friends that still works in Columbia told me a few days back, and I quote:"Can you believe that there are eight full-time staff have left the company in my three months here?"

No on-the-job training. You will not be provided any job-specific training or professional development coaching by HR. Just to be fair, yes, you may receive some unsystematic briefings from your supervisor and co-workers but, hey, you are on your own.

Very low pay. Look at the salary reviews and you would find the pay here is significantly lower than industry average. If you have a family to take care, a few months to feed, you may find it difficult to pay off your bills. (they pay monthly, not bi-weekly, btw)

The worst thing is no support from higher management. If you are trying to achieve anything here, dreaming is probably the best route of all. Everybody is master of ping-pong, except, of course, you are the ball.
Pros
cheap lunch for staff
Cons
low pay, no training, no advancement, no staff care
workplace was horrible
on call staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 July 2016
well if i can summarize my short time experience working at columbia college it would be defined as
dysfunctional workplace---everybody all over the place
staff that seem nice at first but once you get to know them they really aren't the best co-workers.
no real training---nobody sees you an asset but more of a liability and they don't invest a lot of time in showing you the ropes.
Pay was also not the greatest.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours, Boredom, no training
Productive and fun work place
Member of a mentoring and tutoring program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 June 2016
As a provider of social services, a flexible time schedule is very important which is a standard I can meet no matter the circumstances as a casual group facilitator.
Pros
free lunches
Terrible Leadership and Upper Management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 February 2016
The school sells "Total Care" to students and parents, but provides no care for their own staff. No opportunity for personal or professional growth, pay is well below scale, benefits are minimal, little opportunity to advance unless you impress the boss for some reason, no vision (aside from making as much money as possible - none of which the employees see), no intentional community development among staff/departments, little training or guidance, everyone is overworked... the list could go on. Also, because of all of these realities, turnover is very high, putting extra pressure on everyone. This is not a school with a vision for great education - it is a business with a vision for maximizing profits and minimizing expenses.

On the flip side, the students are amazing, the multicultural environment is fantastic, and many staff are wonderful people. It's really too bad that the way this place is managed just slowly destroys your soul, because it really is a unique workplace. So much wasted potential.
Pros
Students, multicultural environment
Cons
Too many to list...