Coca-Cola Refreshments

• Free coca cola products
  • Coca-Cola is a Fortune 500 company with great benefits
  • Very physical work
  • See more...
Great team, excellent management team. Work life balance very 'imbalanced'
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2014
A typical day (should have been 8:00-5:00, but was more 7:00-7:00)
Which saw you;
7am opening your emails (usually at least 15 - 20 first thing in the am)
8am quick conference call
8:15 - 9:30am route planning and other daily organization
9:30 or 10:00 on the road completing sales calls. This included all details listed in resume i.e.: selling in priorities, monthly deals, merchandising, completing orders, cleaning coolers and displays if necessary to enhance sale of product, re merchandising, and pricing. Public liaison with your customer and putting out fires.
Always on call during the day, as well ensuring Customer Support Calls are being handled through out the regular duties.
4:00 sometimes later back to computer for follow ups and signing out of calls on BOSS System. Usually until 7:00 pm. Sometimes earlier sometimes even later

What I learned?
Multi Tasking skills, organizational skills and learning how to pace ones self through the day ensuring to eat and not become overwhelmed, especially during trade tour times.

I had 2 amazing District Sales Managers during my time with Coca-Cola. Both skilled in different ways, but extremely good at their roles and ensuring their teams were taken care of accurately and supported as best that they could given disorganized circumstances.
We went through 2 Area Sales Managers in my time. One was great the latter was lacking in personal skills and communication skills. It made the DSM position difficult, but they did a great job despite.

Co-workers
Could not have asked for a better bunch of people to share my time with.
  more... We all worked very well together, being a very diverse crowd we all had different things to offer, and worked very hard for each other. Extremely supportive and fun group. Outside Sales you don't see each other that often so it was a testament to see how close we all were.

Hardest part of the job?
How disorganized it was. The team and our DSM's worked very hard to make our customers happy, however there was not enough time in a day with the amount of staff we had to provide customers with the proper care and follow up they each deserved. As a result, days did not run smoothly and despite efforts I never left a day feeling at peace with my accomplishments, even though at best I was the top achiever and my territory ranked best bonus structure more often than not.
There was quite a revolving door in my three years in the company and the sales teams. As a result I took on many territories at once as well as coached and trained the new staff and the special projects. Add constant Trade Tours, this job all of a sudden robbed me of any work life balance and ultimately led to my desire to leave.
The team became fragmented due to exhaustion.
Throughout, I will maintain that my DSM's were great as they did the best they could under disorganized circumstances. All have since left as well.

The most enjoyable part of the job?
Selling, the customers, the people. The diverse group of customers from territory to territory. The accomplishments and pride in selling in and merchandising a good looking sale. Making customers feel good, laugh and communicating with different personalities everyday.

Our team was great and there were a lot of perks. We were worked very hard, but they were always flexible when you needed something. There was never any guilt when you wanted time off and they urged you to take your holidays. The DSM team was great at acknowledging your accomplishments and rewarding your successes. As they burned out it became less, but they always had an open door and were very supportive.
Pros
excellent team, great district sales manager, good benefits, good holiday structure, excellent flexibility
Cons
work life balance, territories too large to support customers accurately, perks taken away with new structuring
Flat, no fizzle
Temporary Order Picker (Former Employee) –  2750 Boul. L'Assomption, Montreal, QCJuly 24, 2013
I interviewed twice with this company in the space of one year - once for a production position in Richmond, BC, and another (for which I was hired) as a seasonal order picker at the distribution center in Montreal, QC. The hiring was done via a phone interview with the head office in Toronto, ON, and an in-person meeting with one of the warehouse supervisors. I had done the same process for the job in Richmond, only without being retained. What stood out at that particular engagement was the way the hiring manager referred to his habit of "booting out" temporary workers that, for one reason or another, didn't meet his requirements (namely obtaining a "boiler ticket" - the reason for which was never clearly elaborated upon); and that they met with many candidates for my positions, and so I shouldn't get my hopes up. He also made me wait for 20 minutes past the appointment time in the lobby. Generally very unprofessional and corporate in diction/demeanor.

Basically, there's no realistic way to be hired permanently by this company if you're taken on as a temp (or seasonal) worker. I inquired and was told the waiting list for a permanent position goes back to 2006. Apparently it now takes one of the "old-timers" (read: guys who've been driving forklifts for 37+ years because they're not competent to do anything else) retiring before a position's available. At that point, it's given for night shift (the one no one generally wants), then evening, then day (both of the latter having their own respective waiting lists).

I found the two on-duty supervisors aloof and disinterested
  more... in warehouse operations other than to chide the material handlers for not moving fast enough. The order pickers themselves were given to slacking off and smoking cigarettes behind the pallet racks, and constantly complained of what they were being asked to do. I also found the jokes between the supervisors and workers (usually directed one-way with sarcastic overtones regarding performance) to be entirely inappropriate for such a large company. The sanitary conditions of the lunch room and toilets was also wholly sub-par.

Suffice it to say that my training (which took place during the day) lasted a few days, after which I notified the supervisors that I was leaving. It's worth mentioning that temporary workers are paid half of what the permanent workers make (therefore not a lot) and that you'll get put on night shift (occasionally evening rotations) if you choose to stay. They also informed me that the bulk of the work would be during the summer, after which the work would essentially dry up for us and only long-term temporary & permanent workers would be able to make 40 hours a week.

PS. For all the references to the benefits of having a limitless supply of soda in the cafeteria, I found the Coke flat and the other beverages less-than-flavorful compared to what's sold in stores.
Pros
honesty: they tell you that your hours get cut off in the fall
Cons
well, everything.
DONT WORK HERE
Sales (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 7, 2015
Did not really enjoy my time with this company. Worked really hard for them and never really got recognized. Turned my sales area around and made my target volume every quarter but nothing was ever good enough.

Management is VERY unprofessional as they slander customers. Management considered in market "execution" as giving away hockey tickets or gift cards in exchange for extra product or floor space. In other words they would ask the lower workers to bribe customers. Management would often make promise and either forget about them or not follow through. This made a huge problem as my customers took it out on me.

For the amount of driving done for this job the compensation is not worth it. The wear and tear you put on your vehicle is ridiculous and only compensated with an extra couple hundred bucks every month. Also damage to inside of car from management making us take out 4-8 "case stackers" in cardboard boxes which in turn would smell up your car and make the inside dusty. It came to the point where stores would already have one and when I was asked to take 5 case stackers I would just toss them.

Bonuses are usually attainable and benefits were really good. Other then that there wasn't much upside to working. It sounds a lot more glamourous then it actually is.

I'd recommend higher management do a month as an account rep and see if they can meet some of the ridiculous goals they expected from us.
Pros
Benefits and Bonus
Cons
Management, Driving
Working at Coke!
Production Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
When I started working for Coke I worked day and afternoon shift. I learned how Coke is made, bottled, and packaged. I learned about the machines on the four production lines and a little about how to program them for the various products that are made at the plant. Later I switched to graveyard shift and I learned the importance of cleanliness within the production plant. The plant recently went through some upgrades and we all did some training on new computers for inventory control and tracking.
Management is great. They have an open door policy and will listen to questions and concerns that employees have about any topics.
My co-workers are the best. They are always happy to answer all my questions about safety, equipment, production.
The hardest part of my job is working all night and being in school during the day. Some weeks I was working up to five nights going home getting a couple of hours of sleep then going to school for five or six hours then going home getting a couple of hours of sleep and go back to work and doing that for the week.
Most enjoyable part of my job was working with great people, earning a living, and being independent. I get some much gratification from working hard for something. Not just my night job but also being in school and working towards something.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
The hours are not Guaranteed.
lazy union warehouse and few of the truck drivers
merchandiser (Former Employee) –  bramptonAugust 3, 2015
I can easily say the distribution/warehouse at ccrc is a joke In brampton slows down the whole process in all works of the sales,merch and sales has to take the heat from the customers concently...things are confusing with no real answer and no clear solutions to the issues.....I respect everyone on my team and any other large volume merchandising teams...because boys and girls we all get paid like poo and bust our butt like Noone knows but us ( new pepsi hire makes 6 dollers more for the same job ) no Benifits ( rare they take you full time almost impossible ) turn over rate is riduilous liturally if 50 people get hired guarantee at years end you only have max 20 left. direct supervisors and lead hands are hardworking....but everyone else is clueless....maybe the marketing team at ccrc ( who produce quality ) can take over and run trucks or forclifts in the plant. or better bring your merchandiser teams from all over the gta and let them work your production, I guarantee you they know the definition of hard work,time management, teamwork etc...

most of all pay your merchs more!!!....pretend like you care. I dare anyone of you office people to try to work a 5-7 store day with every store having anywhere from 3 to 7 skids ...all by your self ....day in and out
Pros
mileage/flexible/direct supervisors
Cons
bad PAY no Benifits
working here is just a waste of time
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  WinnipegMarch 25, 2015
I've been working since August 2012 as Part-time merchandiser. I was recently offered a driver position in distribution department. It's amazing, because I didn't even apply for it but was contacted because my former boss recommended me. I did accept the offer and start my training and settle all paper works, but merchandising team needs a work force that time. I have no choice but to stay for the team and wait for a new member for my replacement. The business slow down and the driver position was closed. I am very worried about my situation as the new people joined our team and getting more hours than me. I got two day shift a week and makes a huge impact on my financial obligation. I can’t help myself to feel that I’m not getting equal treatment as they cut my hours for just reason, and I am so disappointed as I constantly working hard and efficiently doing all task and project given to me. I am faced with a dilemma, I am supporting my wife’s family back home as I do not want to have more debt but if I leave this company now would never find one right away. I am so stressed thinking and searching for source of income. I was hoping for help from our union but they do nothing.
Pros
Cheap incentives, takes 5 years to be full time employee
Cons
Using your own car no maintenance discount
Ole Boys Club & Nepotism Is alive and well (Brampton)
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  BramptonMay 8, 2015
The job is easy. You put pop on wood, then on a truck, then deliver it to a customer. Not saving any lives here. The employees are a challenge at times but that's because the upper management and HR are so out of touch with how a proper support structure works. Strong and malicious unions are a direct result of poor management. If you don't crack the ole boys club they will sell you down the river over and over. They,(the managers) are all recycled through the ranks over and over. The top brass executives say the right things but as it filters down the ranks it's not even close to being aligned with the companies policies. Work anywhere but Brampton unless you like being blamed for everything because the useless managers that are recycled, and because, it will cost to much to get rid of them. plus the absolute blatant nepotism is your thing go for it. Hey at least they will pay you good. I was, and many more will be tricked by big red, I had such high hopes for working there for the rest of my life. But remember this review when you think about how the majority of your days go. Good Luck. I could go on for days but most are going to think I'm just a disgruntled former employee so I will let you figure it out yourself.
Pros
Free Pop and Good Wage
Cons
Manager level and up, HR
Snakes In The Grass
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  WestonApril 8, 2015
This place is a joke to work for! During the summer you get tons of hours, they ask you to work overtime at the end of your shift at the end of the week. All good if you like to work right?! And so you work your tail off and never complain. Then October comes around and you get called in twice in the whole month. Meanwhile older guys are getting overtime. Then you don't hear from them again until 2 days before Christmas. So they screwed you over at holiday time...but hey it"s Coke, not many people drink cold beverages in the winter. So then your manager calls you at 6:20am on January 2nd because it's -40 outside. Or they call you the next week because there's 40cm of snow that dropped. How does that make sense? Schools are closed guys, we have lives too. Pepsi was right...Coke is a 1 trick pony. A 1 trick pony that should be put out to pasture. The whole time I worked there they had Frito Lays products in their vending machine in the lunch room. In 6 months of steady work there, I saw them not renew the HR's contract, fire one manager because he wasn't mean enough, and get rid of a handful of other employees who were either on their phones or were stealing (so yes they all deserved termination).
Pros
Most fellow employees are helpful
Cons
Too many snakes in the grass
Old merchandiser are given superior treatment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, CAMarch 28, 2015
Cons: Not Paid OT, treated badly, sales/account managers make you do extra work
Ive been working as a merchandiser for so long yet i still feel like other merchandiser are treated better than me even though ive been working so hard.

Old merchandiser gets most of the hours but they make you do most of the work. If anyone calls in sick, the merchandisers call me to cover their calls. I mean this is no fair on my side. I cant stick to my schedule because i dont know when someone will call in sick and i will have to work OT that day. Beside i dont get paid for it. I usually work for 8-9 hours in a day but only get paid for 4 or 5 hours.

Its not worth the effort, i feel there is alot of discrimintation going on there. If you have been working there for 8-9 years they will treat you superior than others.

I just heard from someone today, who left the job a while ago. Now they want him to come back and he accepted the offer. They offered him a new phone as soon as he arrived but ive been working for almost an year but i still havent got a company phone.

I feel my hard efforts are going waste.
Pros
Free coke once in a Million years
Cons
OT not paid, not treated fairly, old merchandiser treated better, kms cut
Your making someones day when you show up with their favorite beverages
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 5, 2013
-Paperwork, inspect truck and secure load. Drive from delivery to delivery taking product from the truck into the customer to be counted and varified. Put product away and collect monies. drive back to home base, check load, inspect truck, count monies and do paperwork.
-how to be a team player, a lot of critical thinking required, how to deal with a diverse range of customers from different cultures and backgrounds
-I think management has the most stressful job and when heads roll it's usually them that feel it most
-I believe I had the pleasure of working among some of the best drivers Edmonton has to offer
-Customers who are mad at sales/bad orders/wrong orders, although none of these things have to do with the drivers we are the face for the company they see and tend to take it out on the first coca-cola uniform they see
-Making people smile
Pros
being able to look back when your walking out the door ans be able to see a job well done
Cons
couldn't get the time i wanted off when i wanted it off to see family, even with 12 years with the company

Want to know more about Coca-Cola Refreshments?

Ask a question
Productive and worked in different locations everyday.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 26, 2012
I would drive to different cities, depending on the schedule, ranging from Belleville to Brockville. I would go to different stores that sold Coca-Cola products such as Wal-Mart and Metro and restock all of Coca-Cola's product while keeping the back tidy. I would travel alone and work alone while keeping track of the time I spent at each store and the mileage I drove. I would deal with the store managers to get a signature or approval that my duties were complete. The hardest part of the job is to start my day near the same time as a truck arrival. This is because if I came in too early I would not have much to do until the truck came and if I came too late I would have to work extra fast due to the fact that other trucks for different companies were also arriving. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I got to meet and work with different managers from different stores. Also I enjoyed driving to different cities which always kept me busy.
Pros
always kept busy, worked at my own pace, had my own hours
Cons
schedules were poorly made
Amazing and friendly workplace
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Every day starts with greeting to everyone as we walk to our desk. Everyone knows everyone. Small chat to kick start the another day. Each day there is a new exposure to new and old customers we met on the phone yesterday. We can see and feel the smile of the customers during the conversation over the phone. Our supervisors and managers are always smiling and chatting with us, asking how we are doing today. The hardest part of the job cannot be determined as there're not really. Our colleagues, supervisors, managers, everyone in the office makes it so nice to be with everyone. Enjoying each and every moment of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is being here to take care of every customers and help them in their orders and queries. Each and every day is different from the previous one.
Pros
casual off-friday on specific days. fun spirit day.
Cons
only the salary..
Fun people, great brands, but reactive environment
Manager - Category Revenue Growth Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2015
The Coca Cola Canada organization is great to learn the ins & outs of a top tier consumer packaged goods. The marketing department is likely the most value added group as they get to deal with the long term direction of great brands.

The toughest part about working there is the reactive nature of responding to the marketplace. It was never an environment where any risks were taken and for that reason, they have fallen to smaller competitors in this marketplace.
Pros
Excellent work life balance in most areas(mgr discretion)
Cons
management driven decisions are very reactive to the marketplace, Advancement based on performance is not emphasized.
Great starter job
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 21, 2015
A typical day at Coca-cola was following break schedules and specking with customers to place product orders.
At Coca-cola I leaned, that every opportunity is a good one. How to be more of a team player. As for Management, I was disappointed in the roles/ respect some members had for their fellow co-workers. Hardest part of the job was being able to relax and enjoy what you do on a daily basis, scorecard inconsistencies were discouraging. The most enjoyable part of the job was the company pride all employees had. No matter the cons of the job, working for a world wide known company like Cola cola was a great feeling.
Pros
Discounts on product, Company Pride
Cons
No shift flexibility, point system
Don't leave your current job!
Manager (Current Employee) –  BramptonApril 5, 2013
By far the most un-organized place I have seen! The senior leadership is out of touch with what is going on and the poor hourly people take the brunt of it, I now understand why they need a Union. In my opinion if you currently have a job the grass is not greener here, expect long hours, verbal abuse and very little recognition for your efforts. I have seen very high turnover in the salary work force and the Corporation does nothing about it, even the HR team does not react to all the mis-treated people and their issues. Honestly I would not recommend this as a place to work unless you are desperate for work. The big red machine is turning many people Blue.
Pros
nice hourly staff
Cons
terrible leadership!

Comment – July 5, 2013

Poor morale amongst both management and union staff alike. And if you're looking to get a job here now, and if you are lucky enough to get on full time, count on getting poorer benefits and pensions. They are looking to take back everything that they have given.

pathetic company to work for!
driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 3, 2015
management doesn't treat employees well.. if something goes wrong they don't communicate--they just ignore you. A typical day is driving a delivery truck and delivering pop to stores. I learned that coke has a big image but poor relations with people. People are just a number. The only good part of the job was meeting customers but the customers didn't like the way coke treated them either..Stay away from this totally poorly run company.. Most of their equipment is from 1998.. One might have thought that coke might be more current than that.
Pros
drivers will help you learn the job
Cons
long hours and poor management
a learning experience
Inventory Control Analyst/Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 13, 2013
Everynight is always different when it comes to allocating products. I learned that communication is the best key for my role because everything is constantly moving. My job has always been busy because I have to keep the warehouse organize as I can so that no time is wasted upon locating products. I think the hardest part of the job is when I run out of resources e.i. Space, Manpower, and Equipments. Its always been a self achievement if I see my work is done well and organized and that is probably the most rewarding time of my day.
Pros
experience
Cons
micromanaging
Time Flies
Dispatcher/Distribution Route Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton OntarioApril 8, 2013
A typical day is a typical night for me. I dispatch nights . My day is very full and I pretty much work straight thru, no time for lunch or breaks. I absolutely love what I do . The most enjoyable part of my day is working with the other distribution centers. The guys I work with always put a smile on my face.
The hardest part I guess is working long hours.
I have great co workers and we are a good team and that is very important in my job.

I have learned so much in this position, It has increased my computer skills and has taught me to work under extreme pressure.
Pros
free pop

Comment – July 5, 2013

Really?

Great Team and Loved it!
Quality Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Working closely with Logistics for Canada and the U.S - communication with National clients on service calls. Loved working with my team and my managers. I miss them dearly as the positions were moved to the States. Everyone was there to help each other if any teams needed help and we all got along great! Best company I've worked for in a long time! Positive work flow environment - worked closely with different areas of Canada on scheduling service calls for National clients.
Pros
Great team!!
Cons
Positions went elsewhere outside of Canada
Sneaky, Low-Quality , Unprofessional, Unreliable Management
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Weston, ONNovember 16, 2015
It's too late when you find yourself have been surrounded by a bunch of sneaky and low-quality persons. This place has been manipulated and distorted long time by those unprofessional and unreliable managers. Union workers are complaining , fighting ,bumping each other and whining and quarreling every day. Good people , good managers can't stay but flee away. You can't see any good culture rooted in this ground but only rotten , fallen thoughts and things.
Pros
name of coca-cola
Cons
management and union