COBS Bread Employee Reviews

Fun place to work due to interaction with customers, inconsistent policies, poor management, no real training, huge turnover, low wage no advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC27 October 2016
Fast pace environment, everyone has to learn how to multitask otherwise duties left behind will pass on to the sales staff at end of day. Learned a lot about dealing with customers which was the fun part. Poorly managed, new rules everytime, policies of company not being met, no proper training (w/c is very important) being given to new staff, problems/ issues that arises at work not being dealt with professionally at the right time. It's like a big family working at Cobs. The hardest part of the job is to find enough time to deal with proper training since we've always been short staffed, not giving right schedule to have ample time to do it, result is new staff being thrown upfront without real training which affects the 'great' CS the company is aiming for, and daily, weekly and monthly cleaning - is really taxing for all staff. Most enjoyable part of the job is daily interaction with customers.
Pros
$10 worth free bread on every shift
Cons
No advancement, poor pay, inconsistent policies
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 September 2016
I sadly only worked there for 3 months
I worked with a girl every shift and she couldn't stand me to the point of me feeling bullied by her, everything I did she would criticize and get mad at me for.
Unfortunately due to family issues I had to quit and I felt really bad for the owner cause he was actually really sweet
Pros
Good hours, good boss
Cons
Early mornings
Like a big family
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 September 2016
We call each other the Cobs Family, because we are like a big family. Everyone who worked at Cobs truly enjoyed their time there and like their co-workers.
The Hours you work you can't really complain about since you are baking and most baking job hours are graveyard shift hours.
Job it self is physical but not overly demanding unless you are doing the oven. Oven isn't very difficult either, but because you are in front of a huge oven the whole time you tend to sweat more. You know what they say though, "If you can't take the heat; get out of the kitchen".
Worst retail job I've had in 30 yrs
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna31 August 2016
Horrible mngt, minimal training, different rules every day. Huge staff turnover, really cranky co workers, for lousy wages!! Only given 1 shirt & 1 apron for 30 hrs weekly:/ would never recommend this place to anyone!!
free bread
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  bc7 August 2016
management is awful no career advancement even if you exert more effort, management did not notice it, not getting enough hours. I love the customers here they are friendly
Pros
free bread
Cons
salary and management
Not working there again
Cashier, Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
Great working there till they don't need you. Management style is very unprofessional and don't plan on working there again. That said my co-workers were the nicest people I had met.
Pros
Free baked goods
Cons
Terrible Manager
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON27 May 2016
Worked only for a short while, but had great fun. Lots of employee opportunities to participate in company related activities and promotional events.
Very good place to work
Lead Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
Fast paced work environment. Needed to be on time and able to work fast and efficiently. Always had issued with keeping bakers due to undesirable hours. Enjoy seeing the hard work pay off with good quality bread products produced.
Productive yet hard to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC1 March 2016
This is a fast pace job where you are go, go, go. That is not an issue for me due to enjoying a constant pace where it is not boring, Unfortunately, co-workers tends to brag about higher pay and management does not like anything the employees do, even if right. The upside to working here was being able to get free food and see the charities at the end of each night. Also the interaction with customers is always amazing due to them being very friendly and enjoying the conversations that take place when can.
What I learned
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 October 2015
Working at COBS Bread has all together been a great learning experience for me. One of the many important qualities I learned at COBS Bread is to always be the customer's friend, being their friend can take the customer and sales representative relationship a long way. I have learned many other great qualities but i would definitely say customer relations is the most important of them all.
Good work place with friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC11 August 2015
On a regular day, I'd be switching back and forth between baking and helping costumers.
This has given me the opportunity to develop my multitasking skills.
Pros
free product at the end of the shift
Cons
constantly understaffed
Cobs bread was a very fun and energetic place to work at.
Production manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 July 2015
At Cobs bread I learned how to make different types of bread. I also learned how to multitask since I had to mix dough, inventory, ordering, and serve customers. I really enjoyed working with my coworkers they were all young adults and we still keep in touch with each other. Even though I had to work at 2 am I still enjoyed working there. My bakery won many awards at the baking competition.
Pros
the pros learning many things, the warm atmosphere
Cons
sales went down because of the store location, many of us were laid off.
Excellent place to work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC6 July 2015
Very friendly and fun place to work. I enjoy baking bread and danishes. I mostly operate the ovens and partially working on the bench preparing twists, Turkish, French and other type of bread.
Pros
Excellent place to start and gain experience
Cons
Early hours
good
Bread Baker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 June 2015
a typical day for me starts @1am , I do enjoy making bread all morning and having most of the day to enjoy like go to the beach . while others are still working . the hardest part is sleeping during the day while its hot . think I should be paid more for the length I have been working for this company .
Pros
$10 worth of product each day to be taken home
Cons
just barely over min wage
Horrible place to work
Baker (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON16 December 2014
I was hired as a baker, the new manager promoted outside of the company,
You get pushed to the limits, never a break, heavy lifting and unreasonable demands,
I quit Cobs Maple, and now work in Toronto for more pay, better morning hours, and a happier environment
Pros
A loaf of free bread at the end of the day
Cons
You sell your soul to a hierarchy of management
Horrible management made what could have been a fun job highly stressful.
Front End Sales (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC1 December 2014
I worked at the Cobs in Vernon, BC and from the get go it was one of the most stressful jobs that I have ever had because of the awful management. I'm sure there's some good Cobs out there, but mine was not. While the New Zealand based company that heads Cobs, Baker's Delight, has a strict 'no bullying' policy, the management at my location were verbally abusive and frequently lied. Several times they changed the schedule without informing me (or anyone else,) so that I came into work when I was not supposed to, or almost missed shifts when I was. I found this highly irritating and unfair, as it was setting me up for failure. The management also frequently left passive aggressive notes around the establishment rather than kindly and respectfully approach us on matters that needed improvement. I found the manager to be a very threatening person and towards the end of my stint working at Cobs I could hardly bear to be in her presence without nearly breaking out into tears. For the good parts of the job, I got free food (the perishables that we couldn't donate at day's end such as the foccacia rounds we could take home and we were also given a $10 allowance so that we could take home whatever we wanted within the $10 so I never ran out of bread while I worked there,) I had some nice coworkers and the customers were absolutely wonderful, many of them very loyal patrons of the store. I think this job would have been great, had the management been a lot better. As it is, I cannot recommend this location to anybody as a workplace. There was also a highly annoying online training program  more... which you had to undertake - that's right, homework that you were expected to undergo on your free time. Not cool.

I would happily recommend a Cobs with good management personnel though! :)
Pros
$10 daily product allowance, free food, often mindful scheduling, great customers, leftover bread donated to charity at end of night, fast paced environment made day go by quickly
Cons
HORRIBLE bosses, inconsiderate scheduling, endless cleaning, annoying mandatory unpaid online job training program, fast paced environment could get very stressful at times
early morning
Senior Baker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC18 November 2014
Early Mornings, sometimes as early as 3AM
lots to do, from beginning of the shift all the way to the end
being able to multi-task is required
Love the Job, Managment isn't great
Baker (Former Employee) –  Stadium30 October 2014
I worked at Stadium Cobs. The managment recently changed and the new store manager is a real piece of work. Her sceduling never works and everyday she emails about a change to the scedule. The bakery is considely a mess and no one cares to clean it up. I love my job but I got so tired of being walked over by the manager.
Pros
$10 in product per day
Cons
don't except 2 days off in a row; more like 16 days straight.
Terrible shift start times for bakers.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 July 2014
As a baker I would start my shift anywhere between the early hours of 1a.m to 3 a.m. Sometimes I would be falling asleep at the wheel while driving home because the shift hours take a told on your body.

I felt like I was being set-up to fail. The bakery had a huge order one day and I didn't receive any help from the Senior baker. The Manager was not helpful either.
Lots of heavy lifting involved if you work the ovens. You can get burns even if you are careful. My supervisor was OK. The sales staff made it bearable. They were a fun bunch to work with. No room for advancement.
Pros
Free $10 of bakery products to take home every shift.
Cons
heavy lifting and very early a.m. shift start times
Privately owned COBS store by an Amazing couple with both smarts And personality!
Bakery Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario7 April 2014
Privately owned COBS store by an Amazing couple with smarts And personality!!

2.8