COBS Bread Employee Reviews

Was a fun but unorganized place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB19 April 2017
Cobs Bread had a good teamwork environment with many nice people. It was fun but hard work. I often was the only one doing the work though and when told I was getting a raise 3 times, I never did get one.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Hard work
First job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2017
I had a great first job experience here. Made lots of friends and met lots of people in the community as their customers are usually regulars. Fun atmosphere.
Pros
Free bread and goodies
Cons
lots of standing
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
Duties:
Baking, customer service, entering orders, inventory, scheduling, hiring, and training staff, payroll, weekly data entry, preparing bank deposits.
Overseas company very good pay with health benefits.
fun, productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 March 2017
Was a great first job and good experience! Good, productive environment with a strong comprehensive management HR program that left you prepared for work.
Very fun place
Baker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 February 2017
I was a baker at cobs bread. It was very enjoyable aside from waking up at 3am but seeing the sun rise each morning I worked made up for that. I was sometimes put on till shifts and in my opinion those were the most fun. I loved seeing all the friendly faces and friendly people that came through the door. It was the funnest job I've ever had.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and customers
Cons
3am shifts for bakers
Dead End
Baker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 January 2017
There is little room for growth. They demand alot for low wages and sparse raises. Little opportunity to learn. The bakery is deskilled and the product range is limited.
Clean and productive workplace with a welcoming staff and open communication
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC22 January 2017
Cobs Bread was my first job, and I have worked there for over 3 years. During this time, I have learned effective communication and service skills, as well as conflict resolution and time management skills.
Our focus is always making the customer feel welcomed and acknowledged, while making the product layout look organized and appealing to the eye.
The manager always enforces policies and managed conflict effectively, and is always understanding of all staff members' needs and feelings.
I have never felt harassed, unsafe, or felt in violation of my personal ethics while at work.
Pros
Amazing staff, safe and clean workplace, $10 worth of free product for each shift one works
Cons
Very small space means sometimes bumping into one another
Team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC20 January 2017
The team members got along very well, it was a enjoyable place to work. There were some issues with scheduling, some issues with management and miscommunication affected the job.
Pros
Enjoyable team
Cons
Not a lot of work hours
Fun place to work but poor management
Sales Team (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC17 January 2017
It's a go-go-go environment(at least for me) - teamwork is very crucial coz if one team member slacks, another one should pick up and the chain reaction goes till the last person on shift. Lots of stuff to learn and must always on your toes - different problems occur daily and encounter different customers so we must be very diligent and be tactful on resolving issues as they arise. Management was very poor-never see the good qualities of honest, trustworthy, loyal, reliable, dependable & responsible staff and notices more from staff who bluffs, gossips, takes credit for other peoples' work, lazy but shows off when owner/manager was around. Asks staff to do way too much work hence staff are very exhausted especially those who tries to get things done everytime due to other staff slacking. Gossiping became like a contagious disease at one point to the extent of damaging another staff deliberately and management didn't do anything to resolve it. Very disappointing. Hardest part of the job is trying to maintain the pace at work to get all stuff done which always require covering up for someone elses' slack otherwise, there's really nothing hard about the job. I enjoyed working here even there's a lot of stuff to deal with like uncooperative manager who is not at all concerned on giving 100 % customer satisfaction, rude staff members, chronic absentees, complainers, etc.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and talking with daily customers and being able to deal with difficult customers and knowing you were able to resolve the issue and gave them satisfaction.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Constant changes on duties/responsibilities, adding work not on description and not compensated for it, unpredictable changes on scheduling being imposed on selected staff, company policies not being followed at times
They only care about profits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 January 2017
They bring you in with the promise of a great place to work with great opportunities. And it all starts out great. But eventually your efforts go largely unnoticed. And unless your store is making money they pretty much ignore you. If your in a franchised store you are dealing with whatever policies that owner has decided works best for them. If you are in a corporate location you are pushed to the very brink of exhaustion as that store needs to be seen as profitable so it may be sold to the highest bidder. There is little to no support from upper management.
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
High stress for low compensation
would not wish this upon anyone
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2016
job security is a fathom and there is no possibility of advancement or raise. They like to hire multiple people then fire as many as possible before the 3 month mark so that they don't have to pay benefits or worry about any commitments to the workers. The staff are great but struggle to get by. This is not a fate I would wish upon anyone.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, hours, pay, job security, etc.
Fun place to work due to interaction with customers, inconsistent policies, poor management, no real training, huge turnover, low wage no advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC27 October 2016
Fast pace environment, everyone has to learn how to multitask otherwise duties left behind will pass on to the sales staff at end of day. Learned a lot about dealing with customers which was the fun part. Poorly managed, new rules everytime, policies of company not being met, no proper training (w/c is very important) being given to new staff, problems/ issues that arises at work not being dealt with professionally at the right time. It's like a big family working at Cobs. The hardest part of the job is to find enough time to deal with proper training since we've always been short staffed, not giving right schedule to have ample time to do it, result is new staff being thrown upfront without real training which affects the 'great' CS the company is aiming for, and daily, weekly and monthly cleaning - is really taxing for all staff. Most enjoyable part of the job is daily interaction with customers.
Pros
$10 worth free bread on every shift
Cons
No advancement, poor pay, inconsistent policies
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 September 2016
I sadly only worked there for 3 months
I worked with a girl every shift and she couldn't stand me to the point of me feeling bullied by her, everything I did she would criticize and get mad at me for.
Unfortunately due to family issues I had to quit and I felt really bad for the owner cause he was actually really sweet
Pros
Good hours, good boss
Cons
Early mornings
Like a big family
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 September 2016
We call each other the Cobs Family, because we are like a big family. Everyone who worked at Cobs truly enjoyed their time there and like their co-workers.
The Hours you work you can't really complain about since you are baking and most baking job hours are graveyard shift hours.
Job it self is physical but not overly demanding unless you are doing the oven. Oven isn't very difficult either, but because you are in front of a huge oven the whole time you tend to sweat more. You know what they say though, "If you can't take the heat; get out of the kitchen".
Worst retail job I've had in 30 yrs
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna31 August 2016
Horrible mngt, minimal training, different rules every day. Huge staff turnover, really cranky co workers, for lousy wages!! Only given 1 shirt & 1 apron for 30 hrs weekly:/ would never recommend this place to anyone!!
free bread
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  bc7 August 2016
management is awful no career advancement even if you exert more effort, management did not notice it, not getting enough hours. I love the customers here they are friendly
Pros
free bread
Cons
salary and management
Not working there again
Cashier, Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
Great working there till they don't need you. Management style is very unprofessional and don't plan on working there again. That said my co-workers were the nicest people I had met.
Pros
Free baked goods
Cons
Terrible Manager
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON27 May 2016
Worked only for a short while, but had great fun. Lots of employee opportunities to participate in company related activities and promotional events.
Very good place to work
Lead Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
Fast paced work environment. Needed to be on time and able to work fast and efficiently. Always had issued with keeping bakers due to undesirable hours. Enjoy seeing the hard work pay off with good quality bread products produced.
Productive yet hard to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC1 March 2016
This is a fast pace job where you are go, go, go. That is not an issue for me due to enjoying a constant pace where it is not boring, Unfortunately, co-workers tends to brag about higher pay and management does not like anything the employees do, even if right. The upside to working here was being able to get free food and see the charities at the end of each night. Also the interaction with customers is always amazing due to them being very friendly and enjoying the conversations that take place when can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COBS Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9