COBS Bread Employee Reviews

free bread
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  bc7 August 2016
management is awful no career advancement even if you exert more effort, management did not notice it, not getting enough hours. I love the customers here they are friendly
Pros
free bread
Cons
salary and management
Fun place to work due to interaction with customers, inconsistent policies, poor management, no real training, huge turnover, low wage no advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC27 October 2016
Fast pace environment, everyone has to learn how to multitask otherwise duties left behind will pass on to the sales staff at end of day. Learned a lot about dealing with customers which was the fun part. Poorly managed, new rules everytime, policies of company not being met, no proper training (w/c is very important) being given to new staff, problems/ issues that arises at work not being dealt with professionally at the right time. It's like a big family working at Cobs. The hardest part of the job is to find enough time to deal with proper training since we've always been short staffed, not giving right schedule to have ample time to do it, result is new staff being thrown upfront without real training which affects the 'great' CS the company is aiming for, and daily, weekly and monthly cleaning - is really taxing for all staff. Most enjoyable part of the job is daily interaction with customers.
Pros
$10 worth free bread on every shift
Cons
No advancement, poor pay, inconsistent policies
Like a big family
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 September 2016
We call each other the Cobs Family, because we are like a big family. Everyone who worked at Cobs truly enjoyed their time there and like their co-workers.
The Hours you work you can't really complain about since you are baking and most baking job hours are graveyard shift hours.
Job it self is physical but not overly demanding unless you are doing the oven. Oven isn't very difficult either, but because you are in front of a huge oven the whole time you tend to sweat more. You know what they say though, "If you can't take the heat; get out of the kitchen".
Not working there again
Cashier, Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
Great working there till they don't need you. Management style is very unprofessional and don't plan on working there again. That said my co-workers were the nicest people I had met.
Pros
Free baked goods
Cons
Terrible Manager
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 September 2016
I sadly only worked there for 3 months
I worked with a girl every shift and she couldn't stand me to the point of me feeling bullied by her, everything I did she would criticize and get mad at me for.
Unfortunately due to family issues I had to quit and I felt really bad for the owner cause he was actually really sweet
Pros
Good hours, good boss
Cons
Early mornings
Productive yet hard to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC1 March 2016
This is a fast pace job where you are go, go, go. That is not an issue for me due to enjoying a constant pace where it is not boring, Unfortunately, co-workers tends to brag about higher pay and management does not like anything the employees do, even if right. The upside to working here was being able to get free food and see the charities at the end of each night. Also the interaction with customers is always amazing due to them being very friendly and enjoying the conversations that take place when can.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON27 May 2016
Worked only for a short while, but had great fun. Lots of employee opportunities to participate in company related activities and promotional events.
Worst retail job I've had in 30 yrs
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna31 August 2016
Horrible mngt, minimal training, different rules every day. Huge staff turnover, really cranky co workers, for lousy wages!! Only given 1 shirt & 1 apron for 30 hrs weekly:/ would never recommend this place to anyone!!
Inconsistent Management - but decent products
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2014
My biggest issue with the company was the management. I had one manager (who hired me) for almost 3 months, but she left because she found a better paying job with less hours. The manager that replaced her refused to give me a raise after being there for 3 months because (s)he "didn't know if I was competent enough". I thought it was unfair to punish me for someone else leaving. I ended up staying for over six months and never got a raise.
I also did not enjoy how there are weekly "competitions" to see which employee can sell the most and who had the highest "average sale". We were supposed to get prizes for winning each week, but this rarely, if ever, happened. Additionally, we were reprimanded if we did not sell "enough".
Things I liked about the business were - the products - the company does make pretty good bread. I also really liked the fact that they would give the leftover bread each night to charities.
Very good place to work
Lead Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
Fast paced work environment. Needed to be on time and able to work fast and efficiently. Always had issued with keeping bakers due to undesirable hours. Enjoy seeing the hard work pay off with good quality bread products produced.
Great Company, but inconsistencies in policies
Team Lead (Former Employee) –   AB11 June 2013
Really good company to work for as far as product and culture, unfortunately, with a franchise situation, each bakery is different as to how it is run and opportunities for advancement. As a corporately trained individual, I found it frustrating and entirely unacceptable with no rules or proper training happening. I would work for the corporation again, but never for a franchisee.
Pros
excellent product, really good corporate structure, good first job I guess
Cons
no future, no consistent policies or procedures, no accountabililty to staff
Terrible shift start times for bakers.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 July 2014
As a baker I would start my shift anywhere between the early hours of 1a.m to 3 a.m. Sometimes I would be falling asleep at the wheel while driving home because the shift hours take a told on your body.

I felt like I was being set-up to fail. The bakery had a huge order one day and I didn't receive any help from the Senior baker. The Manager was not helpful either.
Lots of heavy lifting involved if you work the ovens. You can get burns even if you are careful. My supervisor was OK. The sales staff made it bearable. They were a fun bunch to work with. No room for advancement.
Pros
Free $10 of bakery products to take home every shift.
Cons
heavy lifting and very early a.m. shift start times
What I learned
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 October 2015
Working at COBS Bread has all together been a great learning experience for me. One of the many important qualities I learned at COBS Bread is to always be the customer's friend, being their friend can take the customer and sales representative relationship a long way. I have learned many other great qualities but i would definitely say customer relations is the most important of them all.
Cobs bread was a very fun and energetic place to work at.
Production manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 July 2015
At Cobs bread I learned how to make different types of bread. I also learned how to multitask since I had to mix dough, inventory, ordering, and serve customers. I really enjoyed working with my coworkers they were all young adults and we still keep in touch with each other. Even though I had to work at 2 am I still enjoyed working there. My bakery won many awards at the baking competition.
Pros
the pros learning many things, the warm atmosphere
Cons
sales went down because of the store location, many of us were laid off.
Horrible place to work
Baker (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON16 December 2014
I was hired as a baker, the new manager promoted outside of the company,
You get pushed to the limits, never a break, heavy lifting and unreasonable demands,
I quit Cobs Maple, and now work in Toronto for more pay, better morning hours, and a happier environment
Pros
A loaf of free bread at the end of the day
Cons
You sell your soul to a hierarchy of management
Friendly and fast-pass enviroment
Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 January 2014
Never a dull moment, always exciting to come into work. The management was excellent and was easy to communicate with. Taught me a lot about sales than any other company I worked for. Always had something to do, and the best part was there was major charity contributions from the company. An overall great experience.
Pros
friendly enviroment
good
Bread Baker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 June 2015
a typical day for me starts @1am , I do enjoy making bread all morning and having most of the day to enjoy like go to the beach . while others are still working . the hardest part is sleeping during the day while its hot . think I should be paid more for the length I have been working for this company .
Pros
$10 worth of product each day to be taken home
Cons
just barely over min wage
Good work place with friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC11 August 2015
On a regular day, I'd be switching back and forth between baking and helping costumers.
This has given me the opportunity to develop my multitasking skills.
Pros
free product at the end of the shift
Cons
constantly understaffed
Greatest Place to work:)
Cashier/ sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2013
I work for cobs bread in Toronto it was one off my best Jobs I have ever had the staff where the nicest people I have ever had a pleasure in meeting and knowing them my boss which was the owner was The best very nice women my shift was great for me but unfortunately I couldn't get enough hours to pay my living expenses
But great job for Students being a mother myself would be very happy if my child worked at cobs the pay is very good the customers where very friendly:) The best healthly bread I ever had:)
Pros
great pay, great hours, nice stuff, great boss, they give breaks which lets be honest hard to find that now a days
Cons
not enough continue hours needed for myself which sucks for me:(
Productive work place with tight deadlines and some delays
MARKETING & DESIGN COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 December 2013
Wexxar was a steady pace place to work for, but lack of direction to advance career.
Pros
Flex Days

2.8