COBS Bread Employee Reviews

Some of the worst years of my life
Sales, Bake, Team Lead, (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2018
In sales you are undervalued. In bake you are overworked. You're always underpaid, especially for working overnights starting as early as midnight. I had to work while sick and fevered. Compassion is low, and manipulation is high.
Turnover is high because training is insufficient and bad, and the pressure is too much for new bakers. Turnover of sales staff is high because they hire young, and undervalue them.
The culture of the management and higher-ups in the region seems a lot like high school.

I don't know enough about the actual executives to say much, but they seem nice enough, they always treated me well.
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
Everything Else
They like high employee turnover.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2018
Was promised benefits after 3months of employment and fulltime as well as a pay increase. When that 3 month period came, neither came. Found out from another employee she worked there since the opening of the store she's still making minimum wage. No chance of wage increase here. I would avoid at all costs.
Pros
Free product 10$, 6-2 shift is nice.
Cons
Slaving for minimum wage, no chance for higher wages even when they said. (get everything in writing.)
Not many hours
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB2 February 2018
Its one of the better places i have worked. Its not too stressful but not too slow. The only problem i have with it is i asked for full time and was told i would get 20-30 hours a week but the most I've gotten is 20.5 hours. It's just a little frustrating. But i love my coworkers. All of them are lovely.
Pros
free product at the end of your shift
Cons
short shifts
Fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC7 January 2018
I enjoyed working with a lot of my coworkers and we all had a lot of fun. However, a lot of the customers were very rude and treated us very poorly. I even once got called a bad employee because I couldn't slice their hot bread. The manager was always very stressed and told us to do multiple things at once and would get upset if we aren't doing all of them at the same time even though we are only capable of doing one thing at a time.
Pros
Free bread at the end of shift
Cons
Bad management and difficult customers
Tons of fun, but hard work.
Senior Baker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2017
Your social life will suffer, your weekends will disappear, you'll only see sunlight when you're trying to sleep.

But if you love baking, it's a blast.
Fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 November 2017
Cobs makes delicious products. the environment is fun and outgoing atmosphere. The delicious home baked bread aromas is enough of a reason to work here.
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2017
very accommodating working area, the franchisee is so kind. the people whom i working with is very friendly. the atmosphere is pleasant and you can meet a lot of new friends
Great Bread
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 October 2017
Working at COBS had some perks like the free daily bread allowance, but senior management and training process really needs work. Hard to fully train people when not enough staff can be on shift especially when people are sick.
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
Training, lack of sufficient staff
amazing work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2017
good working environment good experience training offered friendly work learn a lot on customer service friendly owners sense of belonging included good place
Pros
free stuffs to take
Cons
closing shifts long
Friendly environment, disorganized owners
Sales (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 October 2017
The atmosphere was wonderful, they really have a knack for hiring good, hard working young people. However, the owners themselves did not pay over time hours, such as Christmas pay for working on the holidays. They tried to undercut their own employees by not paying them for well over a month when they would begin their jobs initially. And they would not give a raise at promotions unless they were constantly "reminded". They donated bread to charity, which was nice, and lots of it didn't end up getting wasted.
Pros
Free bread
Cons
TERRIBLE owners
Fun place to work, not much opportunity to move forward.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 September 2017
Cobs is a fun place to work, and the smaller company aspect gives it a good feel. Ran and employed with great people, I enjoyed going to work and the relationships built, as well as with the customer base. Cons to Cobs Bread was lower pay with not a lot of opportunity to move forward. Hours were not terrible on the Sales side. People can easily be overworked as it is a smaller franchise and costs can quickly be cut, etc.
Pros
Free delicious product everyday.
Cons
Staff overworked with low pay.
Wonderful environment
Summer Event- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON24 August 2017
The people were friendly clear and helpful. I learned how to merchandise and understand what draws clientele I did not find any part of this position challenging only enjoyable
Pros
all
Fresh everyday at cobs
Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2017
Getting up at 1, 2, 3, 4 in the morning sometimes was hard and you had to push through the day. Learing the ovens at a bakery like that was a learning curve for me. I 've had practice before at other jobs so it wasn't that hard to grasp things. I learned how to make breads and other goodies to cobs standards.

It is a good environment to work at, getting along with all staff is fun. A very good place to work and have a blast at work.
Good place to work.
PRODUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
Cobs was a good place to work and afforded me a lot of opportunity for growth. Decent pay and benefits plan. Lots of locations within the city. Good product, good people.
Slow boring days but great people
Bakery Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 July 2017
For me, a typical day of work consisted of yawns and counting the hours slowly tick by. At my specific location, we didn't have a lot of business. HOWEVER the people were great, and the job way fairly easy, consisting of a simple cash system and easy scullery duties.
Good Management
Baker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2017
Excellent manager and staff in knowledge and experience. Fun and busy, job is easy to learn and information books are very easy to follow. Very positive kind of work area,
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
Extremely early shifts
Not the worst place I've worked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC5 July 2017
It wasn't a terrible job however there was barely any communication from the managers. I didn't like that they didn't schedule me for a period of time because they didn't think I was available, and did not bother to even contact me to ask even though I was in every week to check the schedule for about a month.
If you are desperate
Sales Associate/ Night Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 June 2017
While this place has the ability to be a good workplace and teach you a lot, they fall flat because of management and ownership, worked there a year and had nothing but inconsistencies
Great people, great bread
Baker (Current Employee) –  Annex Toronto5 June 2017
Great place to work for. All the staff are fun and energetic with a (business) family feel. the hours I worked are a little hard being overnights but easy enough to adjust to.
Pros
$10 of free bread a day
Cons
Over night work
Extremely hard manager to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC22 May 2017
At the Westshore Center in Langford the manager is extremely hard to work with. Extreme control freak and micromanages everything. High turn over of employees because people can't take it. Also advertised the job as $15/hr but then only offered 12.50$. However this is just this one location. Also will often schedule people for 12-14 hour long shifts and if you start at 6:30am will only let you take your break at 2pm.
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
Terrible manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COBS Bread. Our community is ready to answer.