Coast Mountain Bus Company Employee Reviews

not easy for newcomers and pay less.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 June 2017
Newcomers get stuck what's left in the schedule, split shifts, no designated lunch breaks, running time pressure if you get late because of traffic it consumes your break time.
Pros
union job
Options and a need for patience
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2017
Good job! Can be very difficult dealing with all sorts of situations that can cause passengers grief: problems with schedules, mechanical break downs, late or missing buses. Overall as a driver I have always tried to create a pleasant experience for my passengers. I try to give them a positive part to their day. As your seniority builds your choices and experience as a driver should improve.
Pros
Schedule and location choices
Cons
Slow to improve bus service/schedules for passengers
excellent work place
Temp Clerk - Materials Control Department (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 June 2017
allows you to grow and be part of the team... you just need to be a member of the union so that you can join and apply within..
excellent work environment
positive
1st Year Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 June 2017
no better place to do an commercial transport apprenticeship, pay is good, benefits are ok, people are great, and a 4 day work week is hard to beat. really happy to be working ther
good secure career
Transit operator / city bus operator (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC27 February 2017
good job, good benefits, flexible work schedule.
good union. lots of holiday weeks.
room for advancement and training
just drive
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC31 March 2016
Don't expect a good balance between work and life. Management doesn't care about you or any problems you might have. Very long days with 5+ hours split shift. they tell you everything you want to hear in training then reality kicks in And your doing big split shifts for the next 10 years with no home life.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
Management, split shifts, don't ask for a day off because the answer will be NO even if you give them lots of notuce
It is a skillful challenge to maintain unachievably tight bus schedules, observe all traffics laws safety in 40 - 60ft bus
TRANSIT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 March 2016
Fun, but stressful job

As a Professional Class 2, Transit Operator I have over 13,000 hours operating 40 - 60 ft. diesel, and electric passenger coaches while carrying up to 120 passengers through out the lower mainland.

I maintained order among the passengers during trips, thus ensuring safety and comfort for all. I diffused volatile situations and often interacted with psychiatric, geriatric, pediatric, violent and the emotionally and physically challenged. I gladly assisted passengers with their wheelchair, baggage and groceries when they were faced with mobility issues. I kept my bus interior clean and gave passengers directions and field enquiries, complaints and questions from the public.

An essential part of my job is to conduct pre-trip inspections to ensure that all life safety components and systems are in optimal working condition. I kept records and prepared detailed written reports on safety and security infractions, maintenance issues and incidents such as delays, accidents and other pertinent traffic and transportation situations, using mobile two-way radios and GPS computer.

I inspected and collected tickets and cash fares and transported passengers to their desired places over specified routes from urban and sub-urban points according to a very tight time schedule, in all types of weather, road and traffic conditions. I always ensured a strict adherence to road safety rules and complied with all traffic regulations in order to operate vehicles in a safe and comfortable manner.
Pros
Top rate of over $30 dollars per hour and great beneifits
Cons
Five hour split shifts, Gravyards and Fireworks night, Tight schedules, Limited or no washroom breaks
Productive and fun workplace!
Mechanical Engineer Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, B.C12 June 2015
A typical day involves many interesting projects. Learned about diesel engine cooling system, analyzed hydraulic systems for longevity, company standards for maintenance and drawings standards.
One of the top employers in British Canada.
Confidential Secretary - Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 June 2015
Coast Mountain Bus Company has great pay, benefits & work/life balance. Variety of co-workers from all backgrounds. Working with union leaders and labour relations was exciting and challenging.
Pros
free bus pass, great co-workers, job security, stable
slow and steady
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver27 January 2015
- expectations are very low
- management heavy
- can be fast paced at times
Pros
time off
Cons
convincing manager to take time off
Excellent
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 December 2014
It was a great way to meet fellow drivers and share a common goal to provide the much needed transportation for the city of Vancouver .
Pros
Great Job
Cons
Stress
Full time employment, training provided, good salary and benefits.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 September 2014
Was not able to have a good balance between work and life. Great co-workers and road supervisors.
Pros
lifetime bus pass, good benefits and salary. Full time employment
Cons
early start, did not have a good balance between job and life.
great secure job.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 October 2013
I really cannot complain about my time at CMBC, 17 plus years

of pensionable time. I am thankful for that, but due to

strong union involvement, you were limited to your job.

Co-Workers were enjoyable, training was limited.
the people are great
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC Burnaby BC22 August 2013
Left company cause I was treated like a number that's it. I would not suggest to people to work here unless you like being just a number to management.
Pros
wages benifits
Cons
management
Excellent
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 January 2013
Excellent employer. Very employee friendly. Very proactive in health and welfare of their employees
Experience with public, good experience
Public Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 October 2012
Made me a great driver and dealing with the public. Working outside.
Pros
new experiences everyday
Cons
split shifts, which is good time to go shopping
interesting and sometimes fun to work for
shuttle bus driver. (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2012
up early early in morning do pretrip fule and away you go into wonderland i name it that beacause you do not know what you are in for when you start out you learn alot about people real quick on how the like hate relationship between you and them,management
is much the same way they like you or not just like the people on the bus if they like you your ok if no well your in for a hard time the only real thing that keeps you going through all the nasty stuff on a daily basis is your co-workers thank god for them. the hardest part of the job is putting on a fake smile and being polite to them .the best part of the job is when someone comes up to you puts their hand on your shoulder and says your doing a great job better than that other guy.
Pros
some free food
Cons
not shown respect
Maintenance Manager
Maintenance Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 October 2012
I worked up the ladder from a serviceperson to a manager in the maintenance dept.
productive
Breakfast Cook and Lunch (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 September 2012
Great place to work. Great people to work with and good pay. I've learned a lot from my co worker. They show the easiest way in cooking techniques.
Pros
free meal
Fun place to work
transit operator (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver B.C.7 April 2012
Nice company to work for and you can schadule your work to your life style.
Pros
extended health benefits, which cover all health requirements.