Coast Mountain Bus Company Employee Reviews in Canada

It is a skillful challenge to maintain unachievably tight bus schedules, observe all traffics laws safety in 40 - 60ft bus
TRANSIT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 4, 2016
Fun, but stressful job

As a Professional Class 2, Transit Operator I have over 13,000 hours operating 40 - 60 ft. diesel, and electric passenger coaches while carrying up to 120 passengers through out the lower mainland.

I maintained order among the passengers during trips, thus ensuring safety and comfort for all. I diffused volatile situations and often interacted with psychiatric, geriatric, pediatric, violent and the emotionally and physically challenged. I gladly assisted passengers with their wheelchair, baggage and groceries when they were faced with mobility issues. I kept my bus interior clean and gave passengers directions and field enquiries, complaints and questions from the public.

An essential part of my job is to conduct pre-trip inspections to ensure that all life safety components and systems are in optimal working condition. I kept records and prepared detailed written reports on safety and security infractions, maintenance issues and incidents such as delays, accidents and other pertinent traffic and transportation situations, using mobile two-way radios and GPS computer.

I inspected and collected tickets and cash fares and transported passengers to their desired places over specified routes from urban and sub-urban points according to a very tight time schedule, in all types of weather, road and traffic conditions. I always ensured a strict adherence to road safety rules and complied with all traffic regulations in order to operate vehicles in a safe and comfortable manner.
Pros
Top rate of over $30 dollars per hour and great beneifits
Cons
Five hour split shifts, Gravyards and Fireworks night, Tight schedules, Limited or no washroom breaks
Productive and fun workplace!
Mechanical Engineer Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, B.CJune 12, 2015
A typical day involves many interesting projects. Learned about diesel engine cooling system, analyzed hydraulic systems for longevity, company standards for maintenance and drawings standards.
One of the top employers in British Canada.
Confidential Secretary - Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 9, 2015
Coast Mountain Bus Company has great pay, benefits & work/life balance. Variety of co-workers from all backgrounds. Working with union leaders and labour relations was exciting and challenging.
Pros
free bus pass, great co-workers, job security, stable
slow and steady
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  VancouverJanuary 27, 2015
- expectations are very low
- management heavy
- can be fast paced at times
Pros
time off
Cons
convincing manager to take time off
Excellent
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 8, 2014
It was a great way to meet fellow drivers and share a common goal to provide the much needed transportation for the city of Vancouver .
Pros
great job
Cons
stress
Full time employment, training provided, good salary and benefits.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 28, 2014
Was not able to have a good balance between work and life. Great co-workers and road supervisors.
Pros
lifetime bus pass, good benefits and salary. full time employment
Cons
early start, did not have a good balance between job and life.
Not bad if you create a life outside of work
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 29, 2013
I can't say being a transit operator was a dream job for me. Evidently, as I quit, it wasn't. If you're the type who is okay with shutting most of their brain down for 7.5 hours (after the first two years - since it takes about that long to be REALLY comfortable driving a bus), then go for it! The pay is not bad at all, though overtime isn't what it used to be apparently.

The customers range from awesome to awful, just like in any field. Same with the co-workers, unfortunately. They're mostly a good bunch though. All a little crazy!
Pros
free bus pass
Cons
bacteria
great secure job.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 4, 2013
I really cannot complain about my time at CMBC, 17 plus years

of pensionable time. I am thankful for that, but due to

strong union involvement, you were limited to your job.

Co-Workers were enjoyable, training was limited.
the people are great
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC Burnaby BCAugust 22, 2013
Left company cause I was treated like a number that's it. I would not suggest to people to work here unless you like being just a number to management.
Pros
wages benifits
Cons
management
Excellent
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 6, 2013
Excellent employer. Very employee friendly. Very proactive in health and welfare of their employees
Experience with public, good experience
Public Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 11, 2012
Made me a great driver and dealing with the public. Working outside.
Pros
new experiences everyday
Cons
split shifts, which is good time to go shopping
interesting and sometimes fun to work for
shuttle bus driver. (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 5, 2012
up early early in morning do pretrip fule and away you go into wonderland i name it that beacause you do not know what you are in for when you start out you learn alot about people real quick on how the like hate relationship between you and them,management
is much the same way they like you or not just like the people on the bus if they like you your ok if no well your in for a hard time the only real thing that keeps you going through all the nasty stuff on a daily basis is your co-workers thank god for them. the hardest part of the job is putting on a fake smile and being polite to them .the best part of the job is when someone comes up to you puts their hand on your shoulder and says your doing a great job better than that other guy.
Pros
some free food
Cons
not shown respect
Maintenance Manager
Maintenance Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 2, 2012
I worked up the ladder from a serviceperson to a manager in the maintenance dept.
productive
Breakfast Cook and Lunch (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 12, 2012
Great place to work. Great people to work with and good pay. I've learned a lot from my co worker. They show the easiest way in cooking techniques.
Pros
free meal
Fun place to work
transit operator (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver B.C.April 7, 2012
Nice company to work for and you can schadule your work to your life style.
Pros
extended health benefits, which cover all health requirements.