We are seeking experienced Health, Safety and Environmental Coordinators for our project in Kitimat and Prince Rupert.
Under the direction of the HSE Manager the site HS&E Coordinator will be reporting to the site superintendent. Is responsible for ensuring the Company is adhering to all safety policies, procedures and practices pertaining to the Company’s construction site(s) for which the CSO has jurisdiction, and for ensuring the on-site safety of the Company’s employees, representatives, business partners and vendors.
The HSE Coordinator is responsible for applying the professional practices required of Health, Safety and Environment professionals at a CIC work/project site to achieve the corporate goal of zero incidents. This person must consistently convey mature professional judgment, be competent in safety management, systems, technical and managerial knowledge required of a HS&E professional. They should be able to apply them in a work setting with minimal to no supervision.
1. Communicate and coordinate OH&S (Occupational Health & Safety) procedures, policies and systems on daily basis to all site-based personnel
2. Performs general administrative and record keeping functions and procedures including: tracking pre-qualification data, reviewing sub-contractors’ safety programs, maintaining inventory for all hazardous products, first aid and personal protective equipment used on site, and the maintenance and filing of confidential information and spreadsheets
3. Implement OH&S programs: provide internal training or arrange external safety training to site employees.
4. Work with the Project Manager and Site Superintendent (or other) to ensure employees and sub-trades receive training on any applicable OH&S systems/procedures and adhere to provincial regulations
5. Conduct daily safety inspections on site and safety compliance audits
6. Participates in project site operations staff safety meetings
7. Ensure all workers and on-site personnel receive orientation training
8. Educate staff and sub-trades and promote safety to ensure compliance with the company and job-site health and safety program and rules and regulations of Work Safe BC
9. Liaise with regulatory authorities at the site level to assist and resolve any issues of non-compliance
10. Acquires basic knowledge of site safety program, emergency response, fire control systems and personal protective equipment
11. Attend training sessions to increase awareness of safety issues pertaining to construction activities
12. Investigate all injuries, accidents and ‘near misses’. Identify the causes and advise on any improvement in safety standards that need to be made to prevent future incidents.
13. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of OH&S legislation and codes of practice
14. Encourage and educate employees to take precautions and adhere to safety rules to protect themselves and the equipment they use from damage
15. Identify and review various health and safety concerns specific to the work site
16. Produce and maintain complete, organized and proper documents, standing operating procedures and manuals required by Work Safe BC, including the timely reporting of incidents (as required) and/or filing of appropriate documents
1. Possess current and valid Health and Safety designation issued from an accredited organization within Canada, such as CSO/NCSO, CCA Gold Seal,
2. Minimum 5 years of experience as an on-site CSO/NCSO in the construction industry
3. Have demonstrated technical knowledge of common construction practices, techniques and equipment related to construction blasting and road building.
4. Level 3 First Aid ticket (an asset)
5. CSTS, WHIMIS, and Fall Protection tickets
6. Comprehensive knowledge of BC OH&S regulations
7. Builds productive relationships with HS&E and operations. Is seen as a cooperative and supportive team player to achieve team goals and objectives
8. Understands and uses OH&S requirements on the job and has the ability to solve problems based on clearly defined procedures
9. Strong computer background including experience with MS Word, Power Point, Outlook and Excel.
10. A self-starter and have the ability to work with minimal supervision
11. Highly proficient communicator (both verbal/written)
12. Possess demonstrable problem solving and organizational skills
13. Completion of drug and alcohol screening is required.
Pay based on experience
This is a site based rotational role, accommodation and flights are provided
*NO PHONE CALLS*
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.