We’re building and growing. Want to grow with us?
- Become part of the team that builds a new mine - Vista
- Use your expertise in a way you may not have previously experienced
- Be a key contributor to the team and make a valuable difference to the project
- Live in an area that offers friendly communities with close proximity to city amenities and outstanding year-round recreational opportunities for the whole family
Career Opportunity: Manager, Health and Safety – Hinton, Alberta
We are currently seeking a talented and experienced Manager, Health and Safety to support the team in our Hinton office.
This position reports to the Vice President, Operations.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
- Promote and facilitate risk mitigation and hazard assessment techniques.
- Promote the concepts associated with the “Hierarchy of Controls” to deal with identified hazards.
- Maintain and update as required the Critical Task Inventory and facilitate work to ensure sufficient controls are in place to control all identified hazards.
- Maintain and update PICS Permission matrix and flagging criteria as required.
- Develop a safety compliance monitoring program for all employees and contractors performing work onsite.
- Analyze for trends in the compliance monitoring data collected.
- Responsible for the emergency response plan.
- Responsible for the incident investigation process and ensuring overall site compliance to the procedure.
- Compile and analyze incident investigations and compliance audits to identify trends. From identified trends develop safety awareness programs to raise awareness on site and prevent continuation of the trend.
- Develop and implement new programs towards the advancement of overall employee and contractor health and safety.
- Responsible for the Coalspur Contractor Safety Management Plan.
- Responsible to identify Wellness initiatives that can be implemented across the site.
- Develop a process where all safe work plans created on site are reviewed for completeness and feedback provided.
- Develop potential fatal risk protocol for high potential incidents.
- Responsible for ensuring a training plan is in place for mine rescue teams and emergency response personnel that meets code requirements.
- Responsible generating monthly safety meeting topics.
- Responsible for workplace monitoring program that meets code requirements.
- Will act as liaison with Regulators and submit reports as required by the code.
- Responsible to ensure site safety statistics are compiled and report on time internally and externally as required.
- Responsible for Site Access Control and First Aid services.
- Responsible for overseeing and confirming functionality of all fire suppression systems on site.
- Will act as contact point for AON our insurance broker.
- Promote sound safety and environmental management practices.
- Create a high performing environment where being safe is who we are and how we do business.
- Promote innovative thinking and setting of stretch targets.
- Manage, motivate, and mentor all employees to work safe.
- Assist department heads as required to create a proactive safety culture.
- Promote Coalspur within the local communities and industry.
- 10 plus years of progressively senior level management experience in Health and Safety roles. Previous experience in Mining environments would be a definite asset
- B.A. / B.Sc. in OH&S or related education and experience
- Achievement of, or working toward, a CHSC designation
- Thorough knowledge of H&S practices, applicable statutes and regulations
- Thorough understanding of H&S program development and implementation, including legal issues
- Advanced analytical, problem solving and decision making abilities
- Superior interpersonal, communication and relationship management skills.
- High integrity individual
- Driven to succeed
- Challenges the status quo
- Passionate safety leadership style
- Promotes innovation
- Job will be in both the office and field as required.
- Job based out of Hinton, AB; however, travel required on occasion to the corporate office in Vancouver.
We want to hear from you if you are interested in working at Coalspur and possess the necessary qualifications for this position. Please refere to www.coalspur.com/careers.
Thank you to all applicants for your interest in Coalspur. We will be contacting only those candidates selected for interviews.
Want to hear more from us? To receive notifications when new positions are posted, please visit our website and subscribe to our Careers RSS feed: www.coalspur.com/careers.