Clean Harbors Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to work with great benefits.
Transportation Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Exceptional place of employment. Busy environment that will test your skills and talents. Open line of communication between managers and staff.
Pros
Occasional free lunch
Cons
Politics
Good hours and Good management
Good pay
Supportive Management
Good place to work for

Clean harbors ,Kindersley
Don't work there unless you really need the money
Labourer / Equipment Operator II (Former Employee) –  Albian Mine, Fort McMurrayAugust 16, 2015
Rushed out of safety meetings and they try to make you skip safety steps just to start the job sooner. Supervision and management bully anyone they can look down at, will tell you to your face that you are simply an expendable bill to them.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
minimum 16 hour days with travel, bullying management, lax safety
Field Services Supervisor
Field Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 29, 2015
Ensure all aspects to the project are in compliance with regulatory guidelines. Review Health and safety procedures with the project crew.
liked the job and people
Well Site Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BCJuly 21, 2015
the management at the time I was there was very nice person to get along with.Always there to talk to and give advice as needed.The work days were long at times but always manageable,if worked a long day and if next day wasn't as busy could take sometime off to get some rest.
Truck driver and heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurrayJuly 16, 2015
Ran Semi Vac, Water Tanker. Lots learned. Management was decent. Co Workers were good guys to work with. Winter highway driving was the hardest part, the most enjoyable part the people I worked with.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Winter Driving on highways
Great people, Great pay
Chemical Cleaning Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
My experience at Clean Harbors was very polarizing. As a contractor, some days are very relaxed, but some days are very long and arduous. As a chemical cleaner, the emphasis was always on giving the customer the best service possible while maintaining a safe work environment for all.
Pros
The pay, flexible hours in slow seasons, the people
Cons
very long hours, travelling for work
Company changes that reflected on my life.
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Kindersley, SKJune 12, 2015
Tired of low pay for being covered in toxic chemicals. Alot of empty promises. Promised options for advancement and turn out to be lies. Poorly, managed and a small click feel about it. Living conditions were horrendous.
Pros
time off
Cons
extermely toxic work enviornment
travel alot
Vessel Entry Technician (Current Employee) –  edmontonJune 10, 2015
its ok over all, hard work but good pay. no work life balance, good for a single guy, not a family man. good to travel, see the world
Pros
good pay
Cons
no work/life balance
Fun place to work, good people
HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 22, 2015
I'm on call 24/7, I enjoy the people that I work with, but would like the pay to be a little higher. There is a significant amount of travel as I cover a fairly large area. The hardest part is sharing my time equally among my groups, it can be difficult with scheduling deadlines, or demands from specific groups. I've learned that time management and prioritization are the keys to stress reduction to the job. It's a good place to work, however the opportunities for advancement are very limited, thus career growth is stagnant.
Family freindly home every night
Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Red DeerMay 17, 2015
typically 40 to 50hrs a week
repair and troubleshoot centrifuges
time off when requested
work very few weekends
management is willing to work with you
excellent group of co workers
head office is in Boston and they are not a big part of your job
Pros
time off as requested
Cons
advancement is based more on the buddy system then skills and knowledge
Hard gratifying work
Seismic Driller (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 12, 2015
Only seasonal work. Would love if it was year round. i love what I do and gives me a chance to learn new skills and equipment.
Takes a special kind of person to work in a camp setting
General helper/ Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2015
i really enjoyed working with Clean Harbors, There is always something to do.
It helps when you can multi task and can stand on your feet for long periods of time.
Variety of people from all over the world work in these camps,
Pros
Free meals, and transportation back and forth
Not enough time
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  CorunnaApril 1, 2015
This was a temporary position. I didn't get enough time to form an opinion. I would have liked the job to go on longer. It is a very large company that seems to have the same problems most large companies have. Management doesn't understand production.
Always reminded someone else can fill your shoes.
Entry Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMarch 30, 2015
Money was decent, management style is another story...high turn over rate.
Some remote locations.
Boiler Maker Union refused to do anymore work because of health impacts towards member's, that's where companies like Clean Harbours come in.
Pros
Enjoyed the travel portion of the job, places you wouldn't normally see, great group of co-workers.
Cons
Not knowing when you'll be home, reminded your disposable. An American company in Canada, trying to enforce American non union platforms in a predominantly Canadian union environment.
Tough Times in Oil--Lots of Debt and an Aging Fleet
CORPORATE ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Clean Harbors has grown by acquiring many small companies in Western Canada. This stratgey has brough on considerable debt, and the fleet is aging in most of it's lines of business.

Due to this, Clean Harbors pricing is higher than it's competitors--often while providing less value than someone with newer equipment at a lower cost (fewer break-downs, etc).

Still, a lot of smart and savy people work here. I enjoyed my colleagues, and selling the Clean Harbors portfolio can lead to some interesting conversations--mostly because Clean Harbors can offer so many lines of business to it's large customers.

The pay was below avergae for simlar jobs in this neck of the woods, but the worst part about the job is the bonus strucutre. Many people have had money problems either hitting bonuses, or getting paid out on them if they were super-successful. As a result, many of Clean Harbors best people have left in roles like Business Development.

Overall, it's a decent place to work, but they are not competitive versus other companies nearby. I'd say it's a great place to get your foot-in-the-door, gain some experience and contacts, and then leave for greener pastures. You can learn a lot working here, and I was always given enough latitude to drive my business the way I felt was right. For this, I must give management an A+ rating.
Pros
lots of things to sell, decent work life balance, opportunity to climb
Cons
non competitive pricing, an aging fleet--poor leadership in upper management
Enjoy my time with co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2015
Down to earth people that I work with. Enjoying what I do. Look forward to coming into work each day. Love doing the data entry and speaking with regular guys in the field. Great bunch to work with
not a career job
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 28, 2015
The only types of jobs that could be decent within this company would be office jobs maybe. I say maybe cause if you like sucking d/€k you might get head or give it your choice! When the head office tells supervisors and management there's a wage freeze on because they need to cut costs by 90 million dollars you might think ok because of our current recession. But then they turn around 3 months later and buy Safety Kleen another company bought on the backs of their field personnel. The company is full of backstabbers and bad management with the exception of one person and his hands are tied. I spent 2 1/2 years there as an operator. They rule with an iron fist and will screw you over any chance they get. They're under a directive from head office not to turn down any work so there's no time for family life. The lack of communication is horrible it's all last minute and they rarely get a pat cheque right!
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
some experienced field personal
Large corporate umbrella
Partsman (Current Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 10, 2015
answers for important questions are hard to come by, you really are just a number. Offer lots of training and the ability to transfer is good.
Friendly environment to work in
Service Representative IS (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AlbertaJanuary 22, 2015
Since working for a large company there are many different jobs you can get into to suit your needs and wants. Working at a camp job your co-workers become your second family. Harderst part of the job would be the fact their isn't many female employees. I am one out of three working with approximately 75 guys.

2.8