Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Lack of job security
Rental Administrator (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 5, 2014
Have been with Clean Harbors for just about 4 years. Not the most rewarding environment. Lack of job security as well as lack of career advancement
productive and fun
Saw Operator (Former Employee), Grimshaw, ABApril 8, 2014
learned how to use chainsaw properly and work with co-workers and enjoy working outside and experiences lots of different places and conditions
UNCONTROLLED CHAOS AND NON-COMPLIANCE
Specialist (Former Employee), Ft. McMurray, ABFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: if you are a bandit, liar and thief you will love it here
Cons: everything
I was hired as a specialist but treated like a low-life. Why bother? - to put a monkey in a position to fool everyone about being legal. This company nurtures a culture of non-compliance. When you want to do your job and abide by the law, you are ordered by senior executives to shut up and keep quiet. This is a large American company doing business on Canadian soil with total disregard to laws, health and safety in reality. In theory, they talk a mean fight, say whatever they want but put in writing something that makes you think it came from a REAL company that wants to do the right thing. I agree with the vast majority of reviews - run screaming in the opposite direction and don't believe a word they say - cover your butt and get everything in writing. I will have my day in court. For proof, see what the Teamsters have to say and do to keep this company in line once and for all.
worst job I ever had
Foreman (Former Employee), lethbridge ABJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: decent pay... that's it
Cons: negative work environment, low tech small building, management is clueless, no one takes responsibility
Very negative atmosphere employees are bullied and hate their life. Management does not take criticism and is verbally abusive. Work is a joke and there's no thought to reduce strain on employees or generate quality product. Its like working in 1911 very low tech get used to paying hot potato and throwing people under the bus
Management is Horrible
Chef (Current Employee), Acheson ABNovember 23, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: low pay, abuse, lack of support and many more
they do not train anyone, throw them in camps and expect they will learn. They hire horrible managers who have no clue how to train or coach employees just sit in the office all day and yak on the cell phone.. The managment have no care for any of the employees or thier concerns at all you tell them your concerns till your blue in the face they just dont care... the most ignorant people in the world. If you want to work in camps stay away from Clean Harbors in Acheson..
Run away screaming
Driver (Former Employee), Fort Saint John bcNovember 12, 2013
Pros: good place to start if you have no experience
Cons: your seat filler, you can bend over backward here, but the first time it doesn't suit them the threats and bs start
I worked in fort Saint John division for a couple years, very unprofessional atmosphere, management speaks about hourly employees negatively in front if other workers. They profess to have standards, yet the equipment which is old n beat up is full of garbage and missing fittings and hoses etc on a daily basis. Again with training they claim to have a 160 hour process per type of equipment till your signed off on it, this doesn't happen due to them wanting to use all available operators for jobs at hand, best case will see a swamper able to run the equipment sent to train. Favouritism abounds there, if an employee who is an otherwise good hands peaks to a problem they have with something, often that employee is sat for a long period of time till they either quit or smarten up. This place for the above mentioned reasons has the good hands leaving when they have had enough and attracts the kind if nightmare employee you wouldn't want to work with, they lose customers on a steady basis for this reason, but are large enough with equipment and resources that they seem to survive in fort Saint John
Okay place to work
Labourer (Former Employee), Clairmont, ABSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: poor management, low pay, no recognition for work
I started out in the wash bay and then slowly started working on the equipment. Somewhat understaffed shop wise, one employee was practically useless, yet still continued to be employed when should have been let go long ago. Shop foreman was useless, management was pretty much non existent. Shop is unorganized, ideas were thrown out to help out the shop cleanliness and organization issues but seemed to have been ignored.

One employee was useless. Did nothing the majority of the time, when i had to work with him I pretty much did the work while he would find reasons to leave the work area. Or he would go take hour long bathroom breaks. There is no supervision so he got away with doing it, at the same time there is no recognition for myself and how hard I would work at times because of the same reason.

Good place to work if you want to make 20 bucks an hour and go nowhere. Met two good people, one of which taught me a lot. In the end I don't regret my time spent there, I learned a bunch and met a couple good people, if management would wake up, they could learn a thing or two and actually get the shop running smoothly. I ended up quitting because I moved.
Correcting other people's mistakes, but you get blamed for everything else
Maintenance Planner MX (Former Employee), Corunna, ONSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: above average salary
Cons: below average execution of processes, off-balanced worklife, job description and what is actually done on the job vastly different
Was there for 2 months - job posting initially promised a rewarding career with lots of learning potential. None of that was true - not even the job description matches what I did on a daily basis. Instead was hired on as a paper pusher that had been left by previous person for me to follow up, which I had no idea of.

Initial training had promise, but left me with only the basics on how to clear off the current backlog and left me with more questions than answers with nothing going forward.

No time to do 5 different jobs at once. Workload never ends - expected to work for them during weekends and holidays as well.

Support of processes really bad - no backup from anyone else and even if there was backup, it took precious time out of your busy day to go through these processes which then compounds your workload even further and allows for bigger errors to happen because now you are forced to make shortcuts to the process. Tools to support processes looks good on paper, but is below average and when it does not work, it really affects your day's output and trying to resolve the problem, again they say it's not their fault, it's yours.

Basically, you were the go-to person doing 5 different jobs at the same time, but not getting 5 different paychecks and if you could not handle the workload, you were blamed and it was the start of the termination process which does not go through the proper stages of the process established by current labor laws.
steady work
Journeyman (Foreman)/Residential, Commercial (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABAugust 28, 2013
Pros: lunch/boot allowance
lots of work
good people
opportunity to learn a varieties of new things
consistent place
equal opportunity
long hours if you make them...
This company needs to realize that their facilities in Canada do not need to adhere to American reguatory agencies.
Senior Chemical Technologist (Former Employee), Thorold, ONAugust 10, 2013
Cons: all
Look at the requirements in thier job posting for Thorold, Ontario. DOT, EPA.......These are American regulatory bodies. They have no standing in Canada. Clean Harbor's has always been oblivious to this. They are grossly incompetant and this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Dangerous line of work.
Sr. Chemical Technologist (Former Employee), Thorold, OntarioAugust 3, 2013
Pros: they closed the thorold, ontario facility.
Cons: they closed the thorold, ontario facility.
This company blew up one of their facilities near Buffalo, New York.
The local authorities denied them approval to rebuild. They used the insurance money to rebuild the facility in Thorold, Ontario. Through gross incompetance they blew this facility up as well.
i enjoy the work i do
Labourer (Current Employee), ABJuly 30, 2013
Pros: learing the industery
Cons: not getting all my shift in
I have enjoy working with clean harbors and the k3 team and the challenge and task I perform
productive day s
Hydro vac swamper, High pressure technician (Former Employee), edmontonJuly 9, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: not enough work
I learned how to run a hydro vac truck and work in all different kinds of weather and environment , I also worked with all different kinds of nationalitys and in all different kinds of work places
Billing Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2013
Love it, great people, lots of room to advance, relaxed atmosphere.
An Incredible Company to work for.....
Field Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Sulphur, LAJune 24, 2013
Pros: customers, and family of co workers are a priority
Cons: n/a
Clean Harbors Environmental Services is a phenomenal company to work for. Their values of keeping customers priority, with safe environmental practices, and their high standard achievements succesfully demonstrate an ongoing effort to keep the world a cleaner place.
a good place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Brigden, ONMay 23, 2013
Pros: good rate of pay
Cons: working with hazardous waste
I was employed there for 21 years and really enjoyed working there
Poor Place to Work
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee), Riley, AlbertaMay 13, 2013
I was hired by Clean Harbors 2 years ago. Class 1 Driver. Training was terrible. It was so rushed to put me in a truck and haul to landfill with waste from plant. Verbal abuse was commonplace at Riley Landfill.
Head Payroll (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2013
Pros: great learning curve
Cons: wad only seasonal
A typical day at work was dealing with many people on a personnel scale and a business level.The management at this company amongest the best I have been associated with. Most everyone were great to work with. I worked there for 26 years so I can't say there were any hard parts to my job. I love the job but had to move due to other issues.I learn new things about our system on a weekly bases. How to get things done in an easier fashion and a more timely manner.
Fast paced and learning tools made easy
Administrative Assistant\Relief Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2013
Pros: remote camp setting
Cons: high staff turn over required more extensive training
Clerical duties, Learned Orissa and Camp manager software, experienced Management had a hands on attitude. Staff was willing to go the extra mile for clients. Having to work long days in a office setting with out frequent breaks. Helping clients and staff.
they are a great company to work for
Driller's Helper (Former Employee), Grimshaw, ABMarch 21, 2013
They are a great company, never worked that long for em . Cause I we got shut down and were all sent home. B ut I would go work for them again.

About Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors is North America’s leading and most trusted provider of energy/industrial, environmental and hazardous waste – Read more

Clean Harbors Photos