Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Unprofessional
Clerk/Housekeeping Manager/Camp Helper (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB21 December 2016
For starters a company that takes away all your benefits for no reason and in that same month gives raises to upper management is appalling to me. Things were picking for the camps and they suddenly started getting rid of individuals or different ethnicity, because this came from a very close source to the heads they want to make it less ethnic and more comfortable for the managers. It irked me considering how all the way up to management barely have a high school diploma and they judge individuals. honestly I'm glad I no longer working for them its a very toxic environment. Anybody you ask will agree. My opinion is get rid of every upper management including Kirk since he has no idea what is happening in his own company even during the fort mac fires he came and left just as quickly, only to claim he knew what was going on.
Pros
some great people who suffer with you
Cons
the company and management
Productive, fun environment with learning opportunities.
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
Clean Harbors' culture is one where you are empowered to go as far as you are willing to go for personal development. You are encouraged to take the initiative with given tasks, and you are recognized and appreciated for the skills and knowledge you take to the table. You are not micromanaged at all, and is treated fairly and respectfully at all times. The work environment is fun, safe and tolerant.
Pros
Free parking, modern up to date equipment and software, safety, active workplace health and safety program.
Cons
Salary need to be more competitive.
great company to work for
Centrifuge Hand/Filtration Manager (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB6 January 2017
very good salary, lots of divisions to choose from, great benefits and good management. ppe and equipment are always up to date and available, lots of company perks and a large company so you have tons of room to move and grow.
Good old boys club
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 February 2017
Same work every day. To much bureaucratic. Management tries to make it a good place to work for but stalls often. Lots of promises that never come true.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, rrsp, good shifts
Cons
You get drained in rules and watch everybody break them
i love the staff there thay also have a recroom
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
it is amazing place to work you are treated good the salary is good i have learned about safety all my co-worker are good the hardest part of the job is shoveling snow the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new clients
Pros
free board and food while your in camp
Not a career
Wastewater Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 August 2016
Clean Harbors does appear to appreciate it's employees. Nor does it seek to improve their employee's skills or compensation through employee development. Not a good company to build a career,

With the recent down turn in oil prices, Clean Harbors has had to reduce it's compensation to it's employees this does not make it a stable place to build a family or future.
Very good
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 August 2016
I enjoyed working here, the workers were all knowledgeable and help me when I needed a hand. They all enjoyed working with each other and hung out after work to better get to know the people we, at times, put our lives in the hands of. Management was great and worked hard to make sure the workers were happy.
Pros
Good hours, Great Environment
Cons
Salary could have been better
Lodging Services-no idea what they are doing.
Lodging Services (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB10 May 2016
Co-workers and immediate supervisors were great people. Unfortunately the presidency, vice presidency, HR all went to school together so if you are not part of the "team" you pretty much are on your own. Safety and any business sense are are not on the agenda only what makes the "team" look good to the mother ship in Boston.

Run...just run.
Pros
good salary..if you can get it in writing, an understand there will be no raises unless you are willing to fight hard for it.
Cons
See above
Job insecurity
E/O driver ll (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB31 December 2016
I started at clean harbors as super b truck driver. In 2 months they let me drive super b only twice or three times. The rest of times they sent me on a vac truck for almost 2 weeks as a swamper and also covered wash bay. They also made me do jobs other than driving such as cleaning tank tops in another company.

After two months, they called me in saying that they are terminating my employment. They said they didn't see any improvement.

This company is really a joke. They don't train you in a right way and they expect you to know all. I moved to Leduc and changed all my address on my docs and stuff trusting this company and thinking that this company could be the company I can work at. Unfortunately, they just play. I never recommend trusting this company.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Lies by management, job insecurity, not proper training.
Awesome company to work for
Helping Privy Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 September 2016
My typical day at work was great. Management is awesome. Organization was great. Loved my co-workers. Great people. Enjoyed everything about the job. I super enjoyed working for this company. since they lost their contract at syncrude I super miss everyone I worked with and most of them still keep in touch. Got along well with everyone I worked with. Awesome company to work for.
Pros
Awesome Supervisors
Cons
Long Hours but great
Lots of opportunity
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Alberta18 January 2017
Far to many aspects and divisions within the company to make a fair assessment on whole company. Have learned through experience many aspects of the hazardous waste industry, many of my co-workers are great people with a passion for customer service and running a good division.The hardest part of my job balancing work and personal life. I have enjoyed learning and becoming very knowledgeable about the industry.
Pros
Room for advancement for hard working individulas
Cons
large cooperation
Some good guys but mostly rookies that don't know how to drive a truck
Operator (Former Employee) –  Rainbow Lake, AB18 January 2017
The supervisor had his pecking order and the same guys went out in the same order every day no respect for full time employees part time winter warriors often made a higher wage
Lots of days with no work
Pros
Lots of other divisions if they have any work
Cons
Don't pay for travel poor upper management top heavy too many chiefs lots of old tired equipment
Decent place to work overall
operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK16 November 2016
I really enjoyed my time at clean harbors but was turned off eventually by the constant payroll errors,corruption in management(embezzlement and wage theft) and the rampant drug use thats overlooked by management,also rampant drug and alcohol abuse by management.
Pros
Adjustable schedule, cenovus contract
Cons
drug use, wage theft, corruption
no steady work
ο Combo and sandwich maker / 1st Breakfast cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2017
no job security, new workers get more work than workers who have been with them for years. no travel pay to get there. no permanent camps. location changes constantly.
Pros
Cons
work longer than you are paid
Great safe environment positive attitude and family based company to work for treats contracted employees own.
Albian sands shell shutdown (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 October 2016
98 percent of my jobs have been for clean harbors and I must say that the vast knowledge I have learned over this short experience has been much appreciated. My experience has grown and will continue to grow with future opportunities as they present themselves. I definitely recommend clean harbors you any personelle that is looking to get work accomplished safely and efficiently
Great place to work if you bring something to the table!
Reactor Entry Technician RET (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan Alberta20 October 2015
I currently work with Clean Harbors and I love it ! All of my skills are utilized and appreciated and I am able to shine every day. Im excited to see what my future has in store here and definitely looking forward to making my imprint on the company. I work as a RET Reactor Entry Technician and its one of the dirtiest jobs ive ever had but I love the rush I get from putting on that helmet.
I was hired from the East Coast and they treat us great! Some sites provide us with a over time meal as per contract. I've been to a few.different sites and different turn arounds in Alberta.
Pros
Hours, Out of town benefits, Pay, Training, Flights
Cons
Last minute decision making, Seasonal work
it was ok to a certain extent
Camp cook\2nd cook (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB8 February 2016
well the money was good but no benefits and seeing your family such as your daughters sons grow up away from you and seeing them on a phone was hard also it wasn't a guarantee they had cut the position before i quit
Overall I really enjoyed the work I did & the people I worked with.
Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  Provost, AB26 April 2016
Unfortunately since this is an American company, there were a lot of times that they didn't understand that we are a rural community and that the office in Provost (which dealt with 4 other locations other than Provost) does not have easy access to some information from other locations. They also didn't get the fact that the employees in Provost areas multitask in their positions. In other words each office employee does a number of different duties. (e.g.: data entry doesn't do just that, they may also do accounts payable, accounts receivable, investigations, etc). I found that and sometime the lack of access to information very frustrating. I also found there wasn't a lot of support from local management.

My co-workers were fantastic and very knowledgeable.
nice camp
Combo operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 February 2017
great accommodations is about the only positive comment I can make. very poorly mananged skills and work ettics mean nothing to them its who you know. very sad....
Pros
great foood
Cons
good old boys club
Frustrating business culture
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2016
Company focused on tribal growth and often missed the mark for individual business units that resulted in retarding the growth required to be successful.
Pros
Good people involved in management at all levels
Cons
Not enough focus on individual business unit growth

2.9