Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

not a place for you to work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ryley, AB30 September 2017
the work place bulling from foremen will happen if you dont have a skirt.you also get called out of your name if he feels like it.and nothing gets done even if you go to the higher ups
good company
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 September 2017
it was a good place to work they had good equipment. they were understanding good hours flexible . they had proper procedures in place and a good crew of people working for them
Its a fun place to work
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 September 2017
I really like working with clean harbors it's a really nice place the people are really friendly everyone works together and they like here all your thought.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lots of hours
Good place to work, steady hours all year round.
Facility technician (Current Employee) –  Ryley, AB30 August 2017
Let me start by saying that all facilities seem to run differently, all have a different culture within the Clean Harbors culture (like comparing New York and Texas, same country but very different places).

I worked doing the facility technician job for three years, at the time I applied it required post secondary education in chemistry, my facility was Ryley Alberta which is a landfill/transfer station in a segregated rural village.

This job is very steady, there is work for the next 20 years in this facility however sadly there seems like there will be little to no net growth in terms of personnel and for that reason with some education this is more than likely going to be a temporary job for whomever takes it. You have the choice to live in a quiet town home to 500 people or drive 70-80km to the nearest city. I chose the latter, which did cost me 120,000 km and many hours of driving over three years.

The pay is reasonable for the job, however if you’re an out of town worker which is more than likely then you’ll find out how underpaid it actually is (since the labour pool for this job in particular has been exhausted in the local area). For this reason, do not be shy to ask for the highest possible pay - because raises are unlikely at this facility - highly unlikely I will repeat.

This job is a hard hat, coveralls, steel toed boots kind of job, depending on your capacity it’ll be 10% office work, 15% lab work and the rest transfer station work (mostly labour), and any combination up to and including 100% transfer station work (unlikely but if you don’t know
  more... how to use a computer... that’s probably it).
The opportunity for you is to learn about the landfill waste management business, how to tell a hazardous waste from a non-hazardous waste. You’ll have the chance to learn to operate a forklift, skidsteer, dump truck (roll-off), fire truck, vac-truck, etc, also get an intro to the office environment and lab work. There may or may not be side projects for you to use your own skills while earning overtime pay (like fixing lab/office equipment, doing special report projects, etc).

The tittle here was facility technician but at the end of the day this position might be more of a labourer than the guy who’s title is labourer. Some of your duties can be sweeping the floor, shovelling snow, plucking weeds, cleaning spills, bulking pails, drums or totes of chemicals, pressure washing bins, fixing things around the facility... etc. You can also be a driver in this position, ideally you’ll have a class 3 license so you can drive the required equipment but there is always someone who can drive it otherwise. Driving truck loads of garbage drums up the landfill can be one of your main duties. Opening drums is mandatory work, checking their content and classifying them according to the best disposal option (which you will be trained to do). Be aware, this job is dirty – smells? Yes. Rotten egg, dust, onion, decomposed stuff, grain, mining metal waste, rocks, sewer material, chlorine, pesticide, herbicide, acids, bases and most of all – petrochemicals and hydrocarbons, you're provided all the PPE and you will be better off using it.

Overall there is hope within the company, however management will resist any attempt for your transfer to another facility unless its an actual move up. In a bull economy it could be quick after the one year (mandatory), otherwise you may get stuck there for many years (three for me).
You’ll learn something here, in terms of training at Riley you will only get what is essential for the job but any extras only the first aid and maybe confined space.
If you don’t have some major chemical knowledge, acquired through experience or schooling I don’t recommend that you apply for this job. Otherwise, I did the job and it kept me employed through the longest economic recession in Alberta’s history.

If I scared you away let me finish by saying that I don’t regret my choices but the taste is definitely bittersweet. I managed to get something better within the company, I hope it is as good as it sounds.
Pros
Steady hours, good supervisors and management.
Cons
No pay raises, long commute.
Overall great
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK30 August 2017
Great staff, great work life balance.
Excellent benefits. Great human resources and supports departments
Great location
Overall an excellent work environment
8 years wasted
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
Terrible company to work for. Worked for 2 different divisions and it was the same lies. You work hard after being promised promotions that never come. Raises every 2-3 years and the new guys get paid the same if not more than you do. Boom and bust cycle of work. HR is a nightmare to deal with. Sub standard equipment. If you like just being a number then this is the place for you! Guys on the crew were good though. Clean Harbors claims to care about their employees but they really don't. It's all about money, took away RRSP matching and benefits cost you more and more every year as they take away more benefits. Management has perfected the art of telling you what you want to hear at the moment. Its a dead end job, profits over people everyday of the week. The Clean Harbors way!
Pros
Good guys
Cons
Everything Else
labor/mixing job
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
if this is the same company that bought Eveready in Edmonton, AB, you do not want to work here or for companies like this. CEDA, etc will just use and abuse you. You are expendable to these types of companies and the culture and workplace reflect that. I do not recommend working for this company.
A good hard job hard to come by
laborer operator (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC17 June 2017
The people and company seemed very well arranged and was a pleasure to work there. Left because the bank said the mill was a better income to there eyes.
Pros
good stuff
Cons
on the road
lot of travle
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 June 2017
we travled all over sask alberta an Manitoba stayed in hotel rooms ate bad food the pay was good so where the guys I worked with an the work wasn't bad I got used to it
Pros
traveled all over
Cons
the long drives
I enjoyed Clean Harbors
Hydro vac/Vac/Combo-Vac Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2017
This palce was an amazing place to work. Until the new government came and really started to push Carbon Taxes. Effecting Industrial jobs heavily. And our higher ups wouldn't listen to the department managers!!
Pros
Steady hours for a good stint
Cons
the overhead people at the time where oblivious.
fast pace and stressfull
Heavy Duty Technician (Current Employee) –  Leduc County, AB24 May 2017
all jobs must be quoted and approved for repair at the last minute and you are expected to work late to finish, the shop has a poor parts department and a lot of most used parts are not kept in high quanity
Pros
freindly staff
Cons
poor managment surport a work to finish attitude
good workplace
operater driver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 May 2017
morning:saftey meeting then get truck ready walk around get water then off to the job site. bosses good helpful, management could look ahead more often ,good happy employees,working out in minus 52 is the hard part,most enjoyable is working with happy emploeess.
Pros
good bossess saftey personal
Cons
minus 52 below
Good place just not enough regular work
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
Great employer to work for when they have work. I just finished a run with them that was supposed to last 3 weeks only went one week and then there was no work the week thereafter and possibly no work coming up next week

Overall they're a good company to work for in mt experience they simply don't have consistent steady work all the time and this recent shut down really has put me in a bind
poor leadership
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB16 May 2017
Was very unstructured company to work with. Very mismanaged and a number of issues happened regularly. Poor grocery for clients. Equipment Breakdowns and lack of trained staff to work with. Unsafe
Pros
learned time manageent
Cons
long hours with no management relief
Awesome Company to work for.
Driver, Fluids Hauling (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB11 April 2017
The chemical hauling division in Leduc is one of the best places I have worked. Management always has an open door and ear. Problems are dealt with in a time sensitive and courteous manner.
The entire building, from upper management, right down the line are extremely easy to work with. I would suggest this business to anyone with at least 5 years of experience. Clean Harbors is proud of the Drivers that they have, but don't think you will drive here if you are right out of school.
Horrible place to work.
Laborer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethb1 April 2017
If you don't mind being disrespected, lied to, worked like a dog and then let go for no reason (literally - they will tell you "for no reason"), then this job is for you! BCT pays pretty good, but always watch your pay stubs because they very frequently miss hours and try to underpay you. Don't be misled into thinking this will be long-term employment - they seem to have no use for good, loyal, hard workers who want stable employment.
Pros
Decent pay, and benefits.
Cons
Literally everything else.
it was a very good place to work
Class three truck driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 March 2017
My summary of working with Clean Harbours was a great experience. The only reason I left for work elsewhere was because of lack of work there. I would definitely go back there to work if there was work available and if they were hiring.
Possibly the biggest joke of a job one can have
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 March 2017
Never in my life have experienced such disrespect to the individual and such moronic management. Bct is a joke. Worst job I ever had. I was forced to fire good employees for no reason. Put up with constant threats to myself and coworkers of termination. Blame game for every issue. You will be thrown under the bus.
Pros
I guess the pay is ok?
Cons
Everything... not even bothering to list
Awful place to work.
Wet Dry Vac Labourer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 March 2017
The hours are inconsistent, training is terrible. There is no work/ life balance here at all. You're always on call and management is highly unprofessional. Do yourself a favour do not apply here. The worst most unorganized branch of Clean Harbors I've ever seen.
Pros
Good pay cheque
Cons
Long hours, management
five years wasted at clean harbors
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 March 2017
the management is lost and clueless, no future , management rude to workers to many people walking around doing nothing journeymen getting paid for doing nothing , Forced overtime , lousy work environment
Pros
Cons
mistreatment of staff, unsafe conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9