Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Family freindly home every night
Lead Hand (Current Employee), Red DeerMay 17, 2015
Pros: time off as requested
Cons: advancement is based more on the buddy system then skills and knowledge
typically 40 to 50hrs a week
repair and troubleshoot centrifuges
time off when requested
work very few weekends
management is willing to work with you
excellent group of co workers
head office is in Boston and they are not a big part of your job
Hard gratifying work
Seismic Driller (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMay 12, 2015
Only seasonal work. Would love if it was year round. i love what I do and gives me a chance to learn new skills and equipment.
Takes a special kind of person to work in a camp setting
General helper/ Camp Attendant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: Free meals, and transportation back and forth
i really enjoyed working with Clean Harbors, There is always something to do.
It helps when you can multi task and can stand on your feet for long periods of time.
Variety of people from all over the world work in these camps,
Not enough time
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee), CorunnaApril 1, 2015
This was a temporary position. I didn't get enough time to form an opinion. I would have liked the job to go on longer. It is a very large company that seems to have the same problems most large companies have. Management doesn't understand production.
Always reminded someone else can fill your shoes.
Entry Technician (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed the travel portion of the job, places you wouldn't normally see, great group of co-workers.
Cons: Not knowing when you'll be home, reminded your disposable. An American company in Canada, trying to enforce American non union platforms in a predominantly Canadian union environment.
Money was decent, management style is another story...high turn over rate.
Some remote locations.
Boiler Maker Union refused to do anymore work because of health impacts towards member's, that's where companies like Clean Harbours come in.
Tough Times in Oil--Lots of Debt and an Aging Fleet
CORPORATE ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: lots of things to sell, decent work life balance, opportunity to climb
Cons: non competitive pricing, an aging fleet--poor leadership in upper management
Clean Harbors has grown by acquiring many small companies in Western Canada. This stratgey has brough on considerable debt, and the fleet is aging in most of it's lines of business.

Due to this, Clean Harbors pricing is higher than it's competitors--often while providing less value than someone with newer equipment at a lower cost (fewer break-downs, etc).

Still, a lot of smart and savy people work here. I enjoyed my colleagues, and selling the Clean Harbors portfolio can lead to some interesting conversations--mostly because Clean Harbors can offer so many lines of business to it's large customers.

The pay was below avergae for simlar jobs in this neck of the woods, but the worst part about the job is the bonus strucutre. Many people have had money problems either hitting bonuses, or getting paid out on them if they were super-successful. As a result, many of Clean Harbors best people have left in roles like Business Development.

Overall, it's a decent place to work, but they are not competitive versus other companies nearby. I'd say it's a great place to get your foot-in-the-door, gain some experience and contacts, and then leave for greener pastures. You can learn a lot working here, and I was always given enough latitude to drive my business the way I felt was right. For this, I must give management an A+ rating.
Enjoy my time with co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2015
Down to earth people that I work with. Enjoying what I do. Look forward to coming into work each day. Love doing the data entry and speaking with regular guys in the field. Great bunch to work with
not a career job
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: some experienced field personal
The only types of jobs that could be decent within this company would be office jobs maybe. I say maybe cause if you like sucking d/€k you might get head or give it your choice! When the head office tells supervisors and management there's a wage freeze on because they need to cut costs by 90 million dollars you might think ok because of our current recession. But then they turn around 3 months later and buy Safety Kleen another company bought on the backs of their field personnel. The company is full of backstabbers and bad management with the exception of one person and his hands are tied. I spent 2 1/2 years there as an operator. They rule with an iron fist and will screw you over any chance they get. They're under a directive from head office not to turn down any work so there's no time for family life. The lack of communication is horrible it's all last minute and they rarely get a pat cheque right!
Large corporate umbrella
Partsman (Current Employee), EdmontonFebruary 10, 2015
answers for important questions are hard to come by, you really are just a number. Offer lots of training and the ability to transfer is good.
Friendly environment to work in
Service Representative IS (Current Employee), Conklin, AlbertaJanuary 22, 2015
Since working for a large company there are many different jobs you can get into to suit your needs and wants. Working at a camp job your co-workers become your second family. Harderst part of the job would be the fact their isn't many female employees. I am one out of three working with approximately 75 guys.
IT IS HARD TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THIS COMPANY AS, THEY ARE TRULY ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF TECHNOLOGY, THIS COMPANY IS READY FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
1ST COOK (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 19, 2014
Pros: to many to list
Cons: there are none, there are none.
THIS COMPANY IS NEW TO THE CATERING INDUSTRY, AND TRULY AMAZING IN HOW FAST THEY ADAPT TO THIS NEW UNDERTAKING. THIS COMPANY ADAPTS ON THE RUN.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS KEEPING UP WITH THE FAST PACE OF THERE GROWTH. A DAY AT WORK IS SO DIFFERENT THAN DAYS OF OLD. THE JOY OF COOKING HAS BEEN LOST, HAVING BEEN REPLACED WITH PRE MADE PRODUCTS. A SIGN OF THE TIMES EVERY WHERE IN THE INDUSTRY. THIS CAMP AT PRESENT IS THERE FLAGSHIP. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO TELL ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID ABOUT ALL THAT WE HAVE TO OFFER. COME SEE FOR YOURSELF. YOU WILL BE AMAZED.
waste of time
driller assistant (Former Employee), grande prairieNovember 24, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: worst pay of all drilling company's, management with no people skills
the workers are good people but management is a joke. drilling division is a joke management will lie to your face and when ya confront them at the shop they will act like it never happened. terrible place to work if you want to waste years of your life go to this division that is going nowhere.
Great work when work is available
Relief Chef/Baker (Former Employee), Acheson, AlbertaNovember 18, 2014
Enjoyed working with this company, but they just didn't keep me busy enough.
In all my years worst company to work for
Slave (Former Employee), AchesonOctober 18, 2014
Pros: paid me that's all
Cons: everything about this place was awful
Managers are on buddy system and are not adequately educated. Training was online only and had no other training specific to my job. Most of the people I worked with were miserable and made it even more unpleasant to work there. Manager had very questionable ethics and was very unprofessional, dislike by staff. Seemed to get off on discipline, reading his linkedin he actually puts 'discipline' as if it was a qualification LOL, would not recommend them to anyone, it is an awful atmosphere!
good money, but soul sucking.
operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: good money, good people
Cons: management, never home
Interesting job that keeps you busy but almost too busy. Everyone you work with in the field is great but when you get back to the shop you are on the defense just waiting for someone with a meaningless or made up title to make you feel small. Unusually high hostility between divisions. Equipment it's not bad depending on division lol. Wage seems low but when you compare it to the amount of work you actually do it's pretty decent. Bottom line is you're never home, and if that is the kind of life you want to live then it's not s bad place to work.
On the logistics side.....
DISPATCHER (Current Employee), AlbertaSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: great management support
Cons: low pay, hopefully that will change sooner than later
day starts at 4:30am when the alarm goes, from there about a 45 min drive to site, then I try to organize the day from whatever has been left from the night before etc.

about 8:30 mgmt. comes in, then more work comes in, constantly re organizing the master plan

co workers do what they can to support the decisions I make and when in doubt they do steer me in their direction

dispatching is a 24 hour routine, not for those who choose to leave the office at the office... calls come from 5am to 9pm and sometimes later if there is an emergency somewhere....

I work with a pretty good group, we all have our pros and cons, we all try to bring our best to the table, sometimes the day is frustrating, other times rewarding... sometimes getting to go to bed is the best part
Cleanharbours are a great company
PVOSB Laborer (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCAugust 14, 2014
My experience in the PVOSB Mill was amazing. learned many skills and the knowhow of equipment that I couldn't imagine id learn anywhere else. was definitely a great experience
worst management
swamper (Former Employee), AB macklinAugust 6, 2014
Pros: time and a half after 40hrs
Cons: shop time at 13$\hr 80% of the time
Macklin ab. clean harbors flush bys

80% shop time @13$/hr

Great place to start off in the oil industry not a place you want to stay for long, management is horrible, you are definitely Either favored or your not and you will not enjoy your self.

I witnessed someone get fired and management ran to the door after fireing this guy and wouldn't let him leave and told him if he left he's gonna take it as if he quits. Management is out of control and I do not recommend Macklin clean harbors to anyone, just keep looking.
Hired for one position but ended up doing another
Senior Rental/ Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Acheson, ABJuly 23, 2014
Pros: the non-managment people
Cons: management
This job held a lot of promise for me and checked all the boxes that I had set for myself when I was looking to change companies and grow professionally. I was led to believe that their was no issue with the salary that they were offering me and that they were healthy financially. Within two months I could see that somethings were not adding up right nor did it seem that they even wanted me to do what I was hired for, they used me as an administrator. I have no issue with administrative duties but I wanted more than that and I was promised more than that. Management is all friends and if you don't fit in with what they are looking for or do not agree with their horrible business practices then you were seen as on the way out.
Not a good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2014
Pros: good starting wage. helpful coworkers. paid vacation and benefits.
Cons: very little support and training opportunities, high employee turnover, disorganized, poor management, lack of raises or bonuses, no incentive to stay long term.
Clean Harbors is a frustrating and difficult company to work for. There is so much disconnect and poor communication between the various divisions and within upper management. I worked as a customer service representative for a year. My co-workers were really great and the only reason I stayed at the company for as long as I did. There was a lot of difficulty with our managers, as they were completely absent most of the time and non communicative and not available when they were needed. The computer system is really slow and outdated. Invoices, quotes, profiles all had to be approved by the corporate office in Boston and it was really difficult to complete anything easily. The pay was pretty good but the benefits were just average and there were no paid sick days. Really high turnover, it seems like there were constantly new people being hired within the company but very few people actually stayed long term. Overall I would not recommend this company, it was not a good experience.

1 2 3

About Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors is North America’s leading and most trusted provider of energy/industrial, environmental and hazardous waste – Read more

Clean Harbors Photos