Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Field Services Supervisor
Field Services Supervisor (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJuly 29, 2015
Ensure all aspects to the project are in compliance with regulatory guidelines. Review Health and safety procedures with the project crew.
liked the job and people
Well Site Technician (Former Employee), Fort Nelson, BCJuly 21, 2015
the management at the time I was there was very nice person to get along with.Always there to talk to and give advice as needed.The work days were long at times but always manageable,if worked a long day and if next day wasn't as busy could take sometime off to get some rest.
Truck driver and heavy equipment operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurrayJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Coworkers
Cons: Winter Driving on highways
Ran Semi Vac, Water Tanker. Lots learned. Management was decent. Co Workers were good guys to work with. Winter highway driving was the hardest part, the most enjoyable part the people I worked with.
Great people, Great pay
Chemical Cleaning Labourer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
Pros: The pay, flexible hours in slow seasons, the people
Cons: very long hours, travelling for work
My experience at Clean Harbors was very polarizing. As a contractor, some days are very relaxed, but some days are very long and arduous. As a chemical cleaner, the emphasis was always on giving the customer the best service possible while maintaining a safe work environment for all.
Company changes that reflected on my life.
Swamper (Former Employee), Kindersley, SKJune 12, 2015
Pros: time off
Cons: extermely toxic work enviornment
Tired of low pay for being covered in toxic chemicals. Alot of empty promises. Promised options for advancement and turn out to be lies. Poorly, managed and a small click feel about it. Living conditions were horrendous.
travel alot
Vessel Entry Technician (Current Employee), edmontonJune 10, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no work/life balance
its ok over all, hard work but good pay. no work life balance, good for a single guy, not a family man. good to travel, see the world
Fun place to work, good people
HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 22, 2015
I'm on call 24/7, I enjoy the people that I work with, but would like the pay to be a little higher. There is a significant amount of travel as I cover a fairly large area. The hardest part is sharing – more... my time equally among my groups, it can be difficult with scheduling deadlines, or demands from specific groups. I've learned that time management and prioritization are the keys to stress reduction to the job. It's a good place to work, however the opportunities for advancement are very limited, thus career growth is stagnant. – less
Family freindly home every night
Lead Hand (Current Employee), Red DeerMay 17, 2015
Pros: time off as requested
Cons: advancement is based more on the buddy system then skills and knowledge
typically 40 to 50hrs a week
repair and troubleshoot centrifuges
time off when requested
work very few weekends
management is willing to work with you
excellent group of co workers
head office is in Boston and they are not a big part of your job
Hard gratifying work
Seismic Driller (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMay 12, 2015
Only seasonal work. Would love if it was year round. i love what I do and gives me a chance to learn new skills and equipment.
Takes a special kind of person to work in a camp setting
General helper/ Camp Attendant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: Free meals, and transportation back and forth
i really enjoyed working with Clean Harbors, There is always something to do.
It helps when you can multi task and can stand on your feet for long periods of time.
Variety of people from all over the world work in these camps,
Not enough time
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee), CorunnaApril 1, 2015
This was a temporary position. I didn't get enough time to form an opinion. I would have liked the job to go on longer. It is a very large company that seems to have the same problems most large companies have. Management doesn't understand production.
Always reminded someone else can fill your shoes.
Entry Technician (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed the travel portion of the job, places you wouldn't normally see, great group of co-workers.
Cons: Not knowing when you'll be home, reminded your disposable. An American company in Canada, trying to enforce American non union platforms in a predominantly Canadian union environment.
Money was decent, management style is another story...high turn over rate.
Some remote locations.
Boiler Maker Union refused to do anymore work because of health impacts towards member's, that's where companies like Clean Harbours come in.
Tough Times in Oil--Lots of Debt and an Aging Fleet
CORPORATE ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: lots of things to sell, decent work life balance, opportunity to climb
Cons: non competitive pricing, an aging fleet--poor leadership in upper management
Clean Harbors has grown by acquiring many small companies in Western Canada. This stratgey has brough on considerable debt, and the fleet is aging in most of it's lines of business.

Due to this, Clean – more... Harbors pricing is higher than it's competitors--often while providing less value than someone with newer equipment at a lower cost (fewer break-downs, etc).

Still, a lot of smart and savy people work here. I enjoyed my colleagues, and selling the Clean Harbors portfolio can lead to some interesting conversations--mostly because Clean Harbors can offer so many lines of business to it's large customers.

The pay was below avergae for simlar jobs in this neck of the woods, but the worst part about the job is the bonus strucutre. Many people have had money problems either hitting bonuses, or getting paid out on them if they were super-successful. As a result, many of Clean Harbors best people have left in roles like Business Development.

Overall, it's a decent place to work, but they are not competitive versus other companies nearby. I'd say it's a great place to get your foot-in-the-door, gain some experience and contacts, and then leave for greener pastures. You can learn a lot working here, and I was always given enough latitude to drive my business the way I felt was right. For this, I must give management an A+ rating. – less
Enjoy my time with co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2015
Down to earth people that I work with. Enjoying what I do. Look forward to coming into work each day. Love doing the data entry and speaking with regular guys in the field. Great bunch to work with
not a career job
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: some experienced field personal
The only types of jobs that could be decent within this company would be office jobs maybe. I say maybe cause if you like sucking d/€k you might get head or give it your choice! When the head office tells – more... supervisors and management there's a wage freeze on because they need to cut costs by 90 million dollars you might think ok because of our current recession. But then they turn around 3 months later and buy Safety Kleen another company bought on the backs of their field personnel. The company is full of backstabbers and bad management with the exception of one person and his hands are tied. I spent 2 1/2 years there as an operator. They rule with an iron fist and will screw you over any chance they get. They're under a directive from head office not to turn down any work so there's no time for family life. The lack of communication is horrible it's all last minute and they rarely get a pat cheque right! – less
Large corporate umbrella
Partsman (Current Employee), EdmontonFebruary 10, 2015
answers for important questions are hard to come by, you really are just a number. Offer lots of training and the ability to transfer is good.
Friendly environment to work in
Service Representative IS (Current Employee), Conklin, AlbertaJanuary 22, 2015
Since working for a large company there are many different jobs you can get into to suit your needs and wants. Working at a camp job your co-workers become your second family. Harderst part of the job would be the fact their isn't many female employees. I am one out of three working with approximately 75 guys.
IT IS HARD TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THIS COMPANY AS, THEY ARE TRULY ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF TECHNOLOGY, THIS COMPANY IS READY FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
1ST COOK (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 19, 2014
Pros: to many to list
Cons: there are none, there are none.
THIS COMPANY IS NEW TO THE CATERING INDUSTRY, AND TRULY AMAZING IN HOW FAST THEY ADAPT TO THIS NEW UNDERTAKING. THIS COMPANY ADAPTS ON THE RUN.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS KEEPING UP WITH THE FAST PACE – more... OF THERE GROWTH. A DAY AT WORK IS SO DIFFERENT THAN DAYS OF OLD. THE JOY OF COOKING HAS BEEN LOST, HAVING BEEN REPLACED WITH PRE MADE PRODUCTS. A SIGN OF THE TIMES EVERY WHERE IN THE INDUSTRY. THIS CAMP AT PRESENT IS THERE FLAGSHIP. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO TELL ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID ABOUT ALL THAT WE HAVE TO OFFER. COME SEE FOR YOURSELF. YOU WILL BE AMAZED. – less
waste of time
driller assistant (Former Employee), grande prairieNovember 24, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: worst pay of all drilling company's, management with no people skills
the workers are good people but management is a joke. drilling division is a joke management will lie to your face and when ya confront them at the shop they will act like it never happened. terrible place to work if you want to waste years of your life go to this division that is going nowhere.
Great work when work is available
Relief Chef/Baker (Former Employee), Acheson, AlbertaNovember 18, 2014
Enjoyed working with this company, but they just didn't keep me busy enough.
Headquarters