Clean Harbors Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to work if you bring something to the table!
Reactor Entry Technician RET (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan AlbertaOctober 20, 2015
I currently work with Clean Harbors and I love it ! All of my skills are utilized and appreciated and I am able to shine every day. Im excited to see what my future has in store here and definitely looking forward to making my imprint on the company. I work as a RET Reactor Entry Technician and its one of the dirtiest jobs ive ever had but I love the rush I get from putting on that helmet.
I was hired from the East Coast and they treat us great! Some sites provide us with a over time meal as per contract. I've been to a few.different sites and different turn arounds in Alberta.
Pros
Hours, Out of town benefits, Pay, Training, Flights
Cons
Last minute decision making, Seasonal work
it was ok to a certain extent
Camp cook\2nd cook (Former Employee) –  Acheson, ABFebruary 8, 2016
well the money was good but no benefits and seeing your family such as your daughters sons grow up away from you and seeing them on a phone was hard also it wasn't a guarantee they had cut the position before i quit
Overall I really enjoyed the work I did & the people I worked with.
Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  Provost, ABApril 26, 2016
Unfortunately since this is an American company, there were a lot of times that they didn't understand that we are a rural community and that the office in Provost (which dealt with 4 other locations other than Provost) does not have easy access to some information from other locations. They also didn't get the fact that the employees in Provost areas multitask in their positions. In other words each office employee does a number of different duties. (e.g.: data entry doesn't do just that, they may also do accounts payable, accounts receivable, investigations, etc). I found that and sometime the lack of access to information very frustrating. I also found there wasn't a lot of support from local management.

My co-workers were fantastic and very knowledgeable.
Lots of hrs but good pay
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Deville, ABMarch 23, 2016
This is a big company with opportunities to advance in a career, however very long hours and the balance life is almost inexistent, is good if need to save up
Lodging Services-no idea what they are doing.
Lodging Services (Former Employee) –  Acheson, ABMay 10, 2016
Co-workers and immediate supervisors were great people. Unfortunately the presidency, vice presidency, HR all went to school together so if you are not part of the "team" you pretty much are on your own. Safety and any business sense are are not on the agenda only what makes the "team" look good to the mother ship in Boston.

Run...just run.
Pros
good salary..if you can get it in writing, an understand there will be no raises unless you are willing to fight hard for it.
Cons
See above
Overall the Company is good, Management requires some guidance.
Health & Safety Representative, NCSO (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
The job was enjoyable and the co-workers were great. A great group of hard working people. Direct Management thinks a bit high of themselves. But overall not too bad.
Pros
Great people on the bottom scale of the work, great team environment.
Cons
Direct Management is not understanding and not willing to listen.
Productive and fun workplace with a table tennis.
Full-time Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
Days at work were very long, Sometimes you get a good manager and sometimes you don't. Can get homesick very easily. I would do this again for 3,000 a month though.
Pros
Free lunches
just a number
Pipefitter - Remote Dredge Operator/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Anzac, ABMay 24, 2016
you may always be working but you are still just a number camps where nice but you where not allowed to have a single drink on a 24 day rotation. now im not a boozer but when you are in a wet camp everyone is enjoying a nice cold one day on day out and you just watch i felt like ei was under a microscope and in public school again.
Pros
always working
Cons
no sense of family
Productive job with many knowlagable people
Wastewater technitian (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BCJuly 13, 2016
Slower during the summer months where we would get caught up on servicing gear and fixing units with the occasional field services. During winter months we would be busy installing waste water treatment plants for rig and camp workers in isolated areas.
friendly wordplace
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Coklin AlbertaMay 9, 2016
great place to work/ friendly staff/co-workers, most enjoyable part of the job is I work on what I enjoy on a daily basis which is heavy duty mechanics. The hardest part of the job is none. Management at Clean Harbrs are very friendly and a great bunch to work with overall.
Hired for one position but ended up doing another
Senior Rental/ Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, ABJuly 23, 2014
This job held a lot of promise for me and checked all the boxes that I had set for myself when I was looking to change companies and grow professionally. I was led to believe that their was no issue with the salary that they were offering me and that they were healthy financially. Within two months I could see that somethings were not adding up right nor did it seem that they even wanted me to do what I was hired for, they used me as an administrator. I have no issue with administrative duties but I wanted more than that and I was promised more than that. Management is all friends and if you don't fit in with what they are looking for or do not agree with their horrible business practices then you were seen as on the way out.
Pros
the non-managment people
Cons
management
Great Team
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
I like to work with that small team, team members love to share their valuable ideas and skills, also good coffee.this company is pretty good.
Pros
lovely team
Cons
short contract
Productive, Efficient, Puts Safety First, Fun Place to Work
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABJuly 2, 2014
Typical day is like any other supervisor role. You drive to site and make sure that everyone arrived safely. Build and host morning toolbox and address any concerns the crew would have. You work very close to dispatch in making sure that all jobs are planned and that the customers demands are met. You go out on site and make sure that all crews are doing the jobs to the company and clients expectations. Perform site inspections and audits by yourself and also with the client. Converse with the client in meetings and over the phone and plan upcoming jobs.
Awesome crew and can get the job done. Laughing and caring and trustworthy made it enjoyable to be part of the management team.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lots of driving
not good
EO 1 (Current Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, ABJuly 13, 2016
If you enjoy being bullied, micro managed and constantly being told how easily you can be replaced then this is the place for you!
professional attiude
Camp Cook Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 11, 2016
Great company to work for , very strict on safety and working within the health and safety guide lines. Lots of training and challenges .
Pros
great wage
Cons
away from home
large company with ample room to advance
Hydrovac Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 11, 2016
-Shift work
-work in the oil sands
-camp living
-co workers were humble and easy to get along with
-hardest part of the job was night shift
-best part of the job is experience and new knowledge
Accounts Receivable and Payroll
Accounts Receivable Administration (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 4, 2015
I started with doing payroll and moved into Accounts Receivable. I enjoy doing both and when the other girl is on holidays I handle the entire workload of A/R, A/P, Payroll, and I also do training for the guys, as well as make sure that the company credit cards are reconciled on a weekly basis. I also make sure that the guys oil field tickets are up to date and if they aren't I make sure that they are booked in to retake the course.
Honestly not a great place to work
Hydrovac operator (Former Employee) –  High River, ABJanuary 18, 2016
In my experience the company was very unorganized or at least the division i was at in High River A.B. I found that the dispatcher lacked knowledge of being a dispatcher. We were never given appropriate job details and show up on a job without the appropriate tools etc
good place to work
Drillers Helper (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 21, 2016
all is good no work. really fun job when there is work not really sure what else to say on here lots of long days in the cold running behind the drill handling explosives
Not a good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2014
Clean Harbors is a frustrating and difficult company to work for. There is so much disconnect and poor communication between the various divisions and within upper management. I worked as a customer service representative for a year. My co-workers were really great and the only reason I stayed at the company for as long as I did. There was a lot of difficulty with our managers, as they were completely absent most of the time and non communicative and not available when they were needed. The computer system is really slow and outdated. Invoices, quotes, profiles all had to be approved by the corporate office in Boston and it was really difficult to complete anything easily. The pay was pretty good but the benefits were just average and there were no paid sick days. Really high turnover, it seems like there were constantly new people being hired within the company but very few people actually stayed long term. Overall I would not recommend this company, it was not a good experience.
Pros
good starting wage. helpful coworkers. paid vacation and benefits.
Cons
very little support and training opportunities, high employee turnover, disorganized, poor management, lack of raises or bonuses, no incentive to stay long term.

2.8