CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Children
Instructing/Assisting (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2017
working with children is always fun with the city doing many activities and learning new things along with them, they are always excited for whats new!!
Pros
Kids
Rec Tech C (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2017
Very comfortable working environment.
Staff make you feel welcome no matter what circumstance.
Team players.
Organized business.
easy job tasks.
very minimal conflicts with job tasks.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
no cons
Recreation Worker
Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2017
I have trained employees for the City of Winnipeg, being that I was employed for several summers. Planned crafts, excursions, games and science activities for summer program with children ages 6-12.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Summer only
I really liked it here
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 July 2017
Wish I could go back.

I was on the research side of the entomology lab, collecting specimens and removing wasp nests, and I loved it. I felt so incredible out in nature, dealing with what I enjoy most--bugs.

Sadly though, life with the City was not to be. As a seasonal position, you had to reapply every year, and HOPE you got in. I was lucky enough to be there 2 years, but by the third I had another job offer elsewhere and couldn't work there. When I reapplied the year after, they never responded to my application.

I've heard that things have changed much in the way of management and how the employment structure is set up, meaning different departments and job descriptions. I would definitely go back to this job in a heartbeat-- if only the City would ever mail me back.
Pros
bugs, research
Cons
early morning or later in the evening, no 9-5 day here.
Challenges
Clerk C (Pay and Benefits Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2017
With every part time task I accept, I feel like I learn more each day. I enjoy the opportunity to work with people in fun atmospheres.
Hardest part is always learning but that is the challenge. After that it becomes the best part of taking on part time work while working full time.
I have managed having full time work as well as part time work for at least 50% of my career.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Making mistakes while learning
Great company to work for
Labour 2 Utility 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 June 2017
Great benefits, learned a lot, gave me trust and independence. My only issue was I was seasonal and I needed a full time job. Great job for students.
Benefits
Cons
seasonal
Safe and respectful work environment
Instructor/ Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2017
Working for the City of Winnipeg in the aquatics department has taught me a lot about how to be a supervisor with staff in the same general age range as myself. This has been a challenge at times because I want to have healthy working relationships with my coworkers where I am comfortable to see my coworkers outside of work, but also be able to know that when I am at work there is a level of respect and boundaries that cannot be crossed in the workplace.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people that come in the building. At times the patrons can be a challenge, for the most part the children just want to get in the water and have fun, parents want to see there children succeed in swimming lessons, and the seniors just enjoy talking to the staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
promotion opportunities
Wonderful management and coworkers
Clerk A (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2017
Enjoyed this term. Co-workers as well as management were personable, approachable, and very humane and fair. Would never hesitate to accept another position with these kind, hard-working committed employees.
Scrum Master/Agile Coach (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg3 May 2017
Nice place to work. Senior Management and co workers are very cooperative, supportive and colloboartive. I loved working here. I would like to work again here.
Lots of opportunities
Clerk B - Active Net Support Team (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 April 2017
Had to switch jobs due to health condition, they helped me find another job within my department. Excellent support network and great place to grow professionally.
Pros
stability and salary
Cons
can be boring
Enjoyable Employment
Learn to Skate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 April 2017
The City of Winnipeg runs programs that are not only beneficial to the community, but allow students a wonderful work opportunity. The hours are set and the work is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding Work
Cons
Minimal Hours
fun but uunorganzied
Skating Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 April 2017
Co workers are fantastic, management is nice, however some are a little unprofessional, pay periods are awful, but the work enviroment itself is nice and welcoming
good summer job
forest health protection inspector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2017
learned a lot working there, about trees, soil and homeowners' opinions about the city of Winnipeg and its management of the urban forest. Its not too hard of work and the pay is good
Great people that work there
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 March 2017
The people that work at transit are very good people but the safety issues are the reason for wanting to leave. Other wise it's a great place to be and work for
Interesting and enjoyable workplace
Wading Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2017
Working at the wading pool has given me an enjoyable balance of working outside and working with kids. Included in the job was a good amount of cleaning while also learning about how to handle different conflicts among patrons.
Pros
working outside, using conflict resolution tactics
Cons
working primarily alone
Crazy but honestly enjoyable (Summer Position)
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
Working with Canadian youth ages 5-12, in mass groups each day of the week, creating and implementing a summer schedule into this summer program really let us show our creativity. all above that, this job I really hate to let go.
Pros
High wage, fun workplace, mentoring children andmaking life long friends.
Life Balance
Certified Occupational Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2017
After working in Fort McMurray where your work week is nothing but work, it is nice to be employed somewhere that you can go out for lunch with friends and have a 10 minute commute so you can enjoy time with your family. The management encourages team building and friendships within the workplace. Love working here.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Difficult to get permanent position
fun workplace
Project Administrator - Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
very productive team members. good environment to work in and well paid. they take care of the employees so well. project are fun to work in and the contractors are really nice.
Always work
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 December 2016
you can guarantee work everyday without getting sent home early. A typical day starts off by meeting in the yard and prepping trucks before heading out to job site. I learned how to use the roller machine which levels the asphalt when going over top of it. The co workers were all right to work with some were more lazy then others, so we would have to pull there weight.
Pros
guaranteed 8 hours
Cons
no overtime/laziness
Best job yet
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 November 2016
I have been working with the City of Winnipeg for a couple years now. I really enjoy it, fun coworkers. Great management. Great for learning and its a wonderful place to learn basic skills towards other people.