CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Was a good job at years ago
Ready to retire clerk (Current Employee) –  WINNIPEG23 September 2016
Mgmt too top heavy lots of bullying and nothing done hiring old province workers for Mgmt that don't care and don't know anything and don't want to know anything
Benefits
Cons
Lack of people caring
Overall good job
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 March 2016
Long hours for what you get paid. Good pay & benefits overall. I would recommend working here. Great training good training staff very knowledgeable best part of the job is the variation of schedules At first it's exhausting mentally(constant attention to hazards on the road) and physically (long days) Great way to know the city of winnipeg
Pros
Salary Benefits independance
Life Balance
Certified Occupational Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2017
After working in Fort McMurray where your work week is nothing but work, it is nice to be employed somewhere that you can go out for lunch with friends and have a 10 minute commute so you can enjoy time with your family. The management encourages team building and friendships within the workplace. Love working here.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Difficult to get permanent position
Good place to work with dependable workmates and flexible management
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2016
Work here could be difficult and, at times, dangerous. A lot of time is spent underground in stations or in sewers. You are in the heat in the Summer and cold in Winter around machinery and gases.
However, the training and concerns about safety override any real danger. You are working with well trained individuals from crews under you to crews assisting you on jobs. Management is well educated and trained. They tend to work as much as part of the crew as they do management. Should there be problems they were helpful.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Dangerous conditions at times
Always work
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 December 2016
you can guarantee work everyday without getting sent home early. A typical day starts off by meeting in the yard and prepping trucks before heading out to job site. I learned how to use the roller machine which levels the asphalt when going over top of it. The co workers were all right to work with some were more lazy then others, so we would have to pull there weight.
Pros
guaranteed 8 hours
Cons
no overtime/laziness
Best job yet
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 November 2016
I have been working with the City of Winnipeg for a couple years now. I really enjoy it, fun coworkers. Great management. Great for learning and its a wonderful place to learn basic skills towards other people.
Interesting and enjoyable workplace
Wading Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2017
Working at the wading pool has given me an enjoyable balance of working outside and working with kids. Included in the job was a good amount of cleaning while also learning about how to handle different conflicts among patrons.
Pros
working outside, using conflict resolution tactics
Cons
working primarily alone
Crazy but honestly enjoyable (Summer Position)
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
Working with Canadian youth ages 5-12, in mass groups each day of the week, creating and implementing a summer schedule into this summer program really let us show our creativity. all above that, this job I really hate to let go.
Pros
High wage, fun workplace, mentoring children andmaking life long friends.
Cons
Ups and downs, but great all around.
Utility 3 (Pesticide Applicator) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2016
There can be complications between coworkers who can not manage to work effectively together, but with consequences of aggressive behaviour only being taken into action once someone is hurt. Miscommunication between employers and employees can cause hassles during the job and develop frustrations, which includes gossip. But with a healthy mindset, being patient and respectful to coworkers and employees, and avoiding conflict, you will be guaranteed a great work experience.
Pros
Great breaks and understanding of individual's needs
Cons
Gossip, lack of detail and organization
Great work place. Good team enviroment. Great salary and benifits.
winnipeg mb (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2016
Ive learned alot of valuable skills working for the city of winnipeg from concrete finishing to joint and seal. Also working with treeas and plant. Ive had alot of safety training and equipment training, and i am much more knowledgeable about the day to day procedures that occure in a construction orriented work place.
Pros
Lots of overtime
fun workplace
Project Administrator - Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
very productive team members. good environment to work in and well paid. they take care of the employees so well. project are fun to work in and the contractors are really nice.
Overall, I believe they have an amazing work environment.
INDIGENOUS PUBLIC INFORMATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2016
I'm speaking particularly to their Indigenous Relations Division. It is one of the healthiest work environments I have ever worked at. The team is so supporting for all its members and Indigenous youth who come onboard as work placements and interns.
Pros
There are many opportunities for advancement
Cons
You don't gain seniority as an intern
Super fun place to work
Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 August 2016
Working for the city has its perks. There is reimbursable education opportunities, free hearing tests for parks and recreation employees, and paid holidays.
Pros
Free hearing tests
Cons
Working on an extremely hot day
Productive workplace with great benefits and opportunities for advancement.
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2013
Typical Day
A typical day of work started at 7am with a meeting and discussion of the work to be done, a drive to the site, safety audit, and working until around 1pm at which point we took lunch. After lunch we cleaned up the site and drove back to the yard for around 3pm, or just after, unless there was approved overtime available.

What I learned
I learned how to repair roads, sidewalks and curbs. Framing, dismantling, and finishing concrete. I also did asphalt work when required.

Excellent management that will always work with you to explain expectations and work through interpersonal conflict between employees respectfully and professionally.

Co-Workers
For the most my co-workers were great, there were a few egos here and there but generally once a positive work ethic was displayed an individual didn't seem to have too many problems at work.

Hardest part of the job
Id say teaching new employees or employees from other departments how to work in street maintenance while meeting the expectations and time frames was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Amazing salary and benefits, straight forward expectations, good people.
Cons
seasonal indefinitely, short construction season.
Friendly working environment, fully accessible training documents
Junior Mechanical Plan Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 April 2016
Friendly working environment, fully accessible training documents.
Good guidance from the supervisor and nice orientation from HR department on the first day of work.
Pros
7 hours a day with one- hour lunch break
Cons
limited parking spots
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 May 2015
Good people, good management, good benefits.

I would suggest this job to all of my friends and to date, it is my best job i've had yet.
Good salary and benefits and advancement
Clerk B (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 April 2013
Very busy, the way I like it. My co-workers were wonderful. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do things faster for the vendors. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and also dealing with the vendors.
Pros
salary, benefits
GOOD JOB
retired (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 October 2012
HARD WORKERS GOOD WAGE GOOD BENEFITS NEW EQUIPMENT THAT DIDNT BREAK DOWN
Pros
good benefits
Good summer job
Wading Pool Attendent (Current Employee) –  Outdoors2 November 2014
The work hours are great but, it is only seasonal. Great benefits as long as you have good weather outside.
Pros
independent decision making
Cons
weather
Productive and fun place to work
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2016
A productive environment with efficient staff willing to put in their best. Working with the best brains in the industry. The managers are cordial and willing to help you learn and be productive on the job.

4.4