CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Overall good job
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 11, 2016
Long hours for what you get paid. Good pay & benefits overall. I would recommend working here. Great training good training staff very knowledgeable best part of the job is the variation of schedules At first it's exhausting mentally(constant attention to hazards on the road) and physically (long days) Great way to know the city of winnipeg
Pros
Salary Benefits independance
Cons
Good place to work with dependable workmates and flexible management
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2016
Work here could be difficult and, at times, dangerous. A lot of time is spent underground in stations or in sewers. You are in the heat in the Summer and cold in Winter around machinery and gases.
However, the training and concerns about safety override any real danger. You are working with well trained individuals from crews under you to crews assisting you on jobs. Management is well educated and trained. They tend to work as much as part of the crew as they do management. Should there be problems they were helpful.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Dangerous conditions at times
Overall, I believe they have an amazing work environment.
INDIGENOUS PUBLIC INFORMATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 30, 2016
I'm speaking particularly to their Indigenous Relations Division. It is one of the healthiest work environments I have ever worked at. The team is so supporting for all its members and Indigenous youth who come onboard as work placements and interns.
Pros
There are many opportunities for advancement
Cons
You don't gain seniority as an intern
Super fun place to work
Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 2, 2016
Working for the city has its perks. There is reimbursable education opportunities, free hearing tests for parks and recreation employees, and paid holidays.
Pros
Free hearing tests
Cons
Working on an extremely hot day
Was a good job at years ago
Ready to retire clerk (Current Employee) –  WINNIPEGSeptember 23, 2016
Mgmt too top heavy lots of bullying and nothing done hiring old province workers for Mgmt that don't care and don't know anything and don't want to know anything
Benefits
Cons
Lack of people caring
Friendly working environment, fully accessible training documents
Junior Mechanical Plan Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 23, 2016
Friendly working environment, fully accessible training documents.
Good guidance from the supervisor and nice orientation from HR department on the first day of work.
Pros
7 hours a day with one- hour lunch break
Cons
limited parking spots
Productive and fun place to work
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 5, 2016
A productive environment with efficient staff willing to put in their best. Working with the best brains in the industry. The managers are cordial and willing to help you learn and be productive on the job.
decent
publick works (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 10, 2015
taught me quite alot got alot of experience with equipment and learned alot about my city.Also met alot of people.
a typical day at work consists of trimming grass and cleaning up the northend. my co workers were alright and respectfull.
Pros
build seniority
good workplace
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 25, 2016
This was a secure job which paid well.I enjoyed the every day
things like dealing with the public, etc. The co-workers were a
good bunch .
Good salary and benefits
Full-time work as a Gardner 1 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 14, 2015
The City of Winnipeg is full of wonderful people willing to help you get far.

I was a gardener for two years, the people I worked with were wonderful and very helpful.

Training was difficult to receive and often goes by seniority regardless if you need particular training to do your specific tasks.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Training
Lifeguard
lifeguard and swimming instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 14, 2015
A typical day at my job involves opening the building, checking the AED trauma bags, and testing the pool deck alarms. The management is friendly and are willing to help their employees. The co-workers are always very friendly and make the work place a good place to work. The hard part of the job is when dealing with angry patrons that take their frustration on one person/the facility. For situations like that you have to always remember to keep a friendly face and smile. Also, you must remember to take your time and do your best to help with any problems or situations at hand.
Workplace of both fun and pain
Executive & Special Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 10, 2015
Working in a political office can be both fun and painful at the same time.

Fun tended to be when left alone to develop unique advertising for the Councillor as well as developing policy positions to be used both in Council as well as in Committees.

The less enjoyable was the 100+ emails and phone calls from residents of the ward, members of the public service, and other individuals received on a daily basis. All of these contacts have to be responded to in a timely and intelligent manner, regardless of how intelligent or personality challenged they may be.

Other work involved maintaining the Councillor's website, keeping the office clean, and keeping the Councillor out of trouble.
Pros
independent
Cons
no job security
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 4, 2015
Good people, good management, good benefits.

I would suggest this job to all of my friends and to date, it is my best job i've had yet.
Productive workplace with great benefits and opportunities for advancement.
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 29, 2013
Typical Day
A typical day of work started at 7am with a meeting and discussion of the work to be done, a drive to the site, safety audit, and working until around 1pm at which point we took lunch. After lunch we cleaned up the site and drove back to the yard for around 3pm, or just after, unless there was approved overtime available.

What I learned
I learned how to repair roads, sidewalks and curbs. Framing, dismantling, and finishing concrete. I also did asphalt work when required.

Excellent management that will always work with you to explain expectations and work through interpersonal conflict between employees respectfully and professionally.

Co-Workers
For the most my co-workers were great, there were a few egos here and there but generally once a positive work ethic was displayed an individual didn't seem to have too many problems at work.

Hardest part of the job
Id say teaching new employees or employees from other departments how to work in street maintenance while meeting the expectations and time frames was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
amazing salary and benefits, straight forward expectations, good people.
Cons
seasonal indefinitely, short construction season.
Civic Job
Instructor/Guard III (Former Employee) –  winnipeg mbMay 22, 2015
Spent a long time at this employer!! Great co-workers, didnt seem to get paid a great deal for what was asked of us (public relations, safety, etc), Worst part of job was dealing with management and getting time off when needed..
GOOD JOB
retired (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 26, 2012
HARD WORKERS GOOD WAGE GOOD BENEFITS NEW EQUIPMENT THAT DIDNT BREAK DOWN
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Good salary and benefits and advancement
Clerk B (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 10, 2013
Very busy, the way I like it. My co-workers were wonderful. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do things faster for the vendors. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and also dealing with the vendors.
Pros
salary, benefits
funny but long summer
Waiting Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 2, 2014
‘Siting in the sun for 8 hours, getting good money watching kids. i learned how to be a mature adult and in force rules when broken. had no co workers, hardest thing is sitting there watching kids.
Pros
good money
Great balanced workplace
Technologist 1 (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 9, 2014
Lots of areas for promotion, variety of opportunities and good work environment
Good summer job
Wading Pool Attendent (Current Employee) –  OutdoorsNovember 2, 2014
The work hours are great but, it is only seasonal. Great benefits as long as you have good weather outside.
Pros
independent decision making
Cons
weather

4.3