CITY OF VERNON Employee Reviews

Productive, fun and professional
AutoCAD / GIS Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC27 August 2017
Typical day at work employees were very accountable of there work and the employees were very professional and friendly. It as an enjoyable place to work enjoyed the environment and atmosphere.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Some locations are a ways from amenities.
Good workers, but disconnect between mgt and crews
On-Call Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC20 April 2017
Advancement very difficult unless you are a true 'yes' person. People tend to work for their pensions more than anything else. Previous CAO held grudges and prevented advancements even when others' qualifications surpassed the incumbent's.
Pros
Good hours of work
Cons
Job postings made specifically for individuals chosen by mgt ahead of time.
Used to be wonderful.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC15 April 2017
At one time it was a wonderful place to work with great morale. The job itself was challenging but never would I miss a day for any reason.
Times change with new self involved managers reinventing the wheel.
Not all managers are created equal beware of those who dictate instead of collaborate.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Self involved Management ruined morale.
Concession at Kal tire place
Concession Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC20 August 2016
A typical day at work consists of; opening the concession by stocking the fridges, turning on the grill and other machines for food and stocking the burger station with freshly chopped vegetables. I would turn on the P.O.S system, count the money in my tills bag and put it into the till. Me or a coworker would put the hot dogs on to cook and pop popcorn.
During the Hockey season I would work with 4-5 other coworkers because that is our busy season but most of the year i work alone or with one other coworker. The concession is small so there isn't a need for a lot of staff on the floor unless it is very busy.
When closing the concession clean up is pretty practical and quick (when working with the right people). Clean up all stations, refrigerate necessary items, do dishes, close till and cash out and sweep/mop the floors.
With this job along with others I learned to work well with a team and communicate during a rush. This job surprisingly has taught me a lot about customer service and dealing with aggravated customers. For example, I had a lady become quite annoyed that we only had white milk one time.
Management at Kal tire place is awesome. My boss is very reasonable and easy to get along with. I am glad to work at a place with such nice people.
The job itself isn't hard at all. My co workers are awesome and close in age with me, management is great and i enjoy the rush and being busy in the winter. But If i had to pick to most difficult part I would say sitting alone during the off season during slow local games can be a little difficult. I am the type of person
  more... who likes to be occupied at work although i get why there is only one person needed at times when it's slow.
The most enjoyable parts of my job are being able to work with friends, having a job that can be occupying during some parts of the year, and experiencing a very laid back yet efficient management.