City of Vancouver Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Day at work
Office Administrator, Driver Services (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2016
Pros: positive people and opportunity to learn and grow.
Cons: only two females work in my department
Well i work 7.52hours a day and have been working for the city of Vancouver since 2008.
Everyday at work is a learning curve. There is always a new accident, or union matter or a national safety code compliance issue.
My management is extremely knowledgeable and supportive.
My team is very easy going and a fun environment. We all support each other.

The hardest part of my job is i live 1 hour away.

The enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity for me to meet and get to know all the managers and directors of the city of Vancouver. Also to learn about risk management which is connect to my department.
Productive workplace offering services to the most vulnerable of the city
Chef/Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 27, 2016
My job offers time challenges, volunteer training with people with addictions and mental health issues, and feeding over 500 disadvantaged of the downtown South Community. This is the most enjoyable part of the job, to see the faces of these folks enjoying the sometimes one meal a day they receive, and being the one to cook that meal for them.
Everyday, I learn more about our patrons and volunteers, which offers more insight into the meals that these patrons require, so that I am able to accommodate many different health issues and preferences.
My job has been challenging and fulfilling.
Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Current Employee), Office is 814 Richards StMarch 4, 2016
Pros: Work independently
Cons: Working outside in inclement weather.
I will be retiring from my full time position with the City Of Vancouver on April 30th, 2016. I have enjoyed working in a position where I work independently and outside an office environment. I find dealing with the public in stressful situations a challenge that I manage very well. The job has been perfectly suited to my skills and personality.
HVAC and ammonia plant opertions
Power Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 23, 2016
HVAC and ammonia plant operations
Preventive maintenance
Ice rink maintaining
Public relations
Emergency respond
Log book keeping
Call subcontractors if the Chief Engineer is of the site
A decent place for work
Project management (Part-time during MBA) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 20, 2016
Pros: great people
Cons: Slow paced
My job was to identify opportunities for improvements in operating budget process and assist CITY in improving cycle time for completing operating budget process through value stream mapping. Work involved coordinating with FP&A and cross functional teams. The hardest part of the job was to convince the teams that this was a not a cost reduction exercise but it is was to drive efficiency within the process so that the team could do more analytical work.

This was an internship and part-time during MBA
good place to work
store keeper 1 (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Has always been steady work
Cons: none realy
I get to work in the morning at about 530 am start the computer turn on all systems enter all requisitions from the afternoon shift the night before,after that i run a cycle inventory. At 630 am mechanics and fabricators arrive then i create work orders for them to log onto and hand out the parts they are going to need. As the day goes on i order parts that they have identified need replacing, run auto order parts reports and order those parts required.By 300pm im done and call it a day.
Great work environment with room to personally develop
Office Support Clerk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC, CanadaSeptember 22, 2015
Pros: Plenty of in house benefits
Cons: Repetitive work
Easy and fun transition into the work place.
Management were understanding and always willing to help you grow.
Pay was great with many perks.
Gratifying
Working Foreman I (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 30, 2015
Great place to work, amazing benefits and salary, great staff, and with so much attrition, there are some great positions that will need to be filled in the next few years. Lots of opportunity, wish I could take the job with me but moving!
productive and fun workplace
Killarney Fitness Center (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: going to workshops
Cons: short hours
I am a fitness supervisor do programs for all kinds of people and first aid if needed. Carry a two way radio and communicate with front desk and life guards if needed. I keep people safe and give them suggestions on which exercises to do . I am a team player and love working in a team. The hardest part of the job is when nothing happens and your walking around for hours i need to be doing something. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with people and giving them a good training workout . I have great coworkers and we all help each other.
The best job I have ever had.
Labourer Downtown Parks (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 29, 2014
Working for the Vancouver Park Board helped me realize the kind of working environment I want to be in. It truly was a wonderful place to be.
City Job = Job Security
Labourer, Gardener's Helper, Gardener. (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Depending on the job, and the people one got to work with, it could be enjoyable, but often times one had to work with people who didn't care about the quality of their work, or how hard they worked, so it could also be a frustrating job because this. That, and having to work under the direction of a top-heavy management that was often ineffective on basic levels of operation.
good job security and great work environment
operations laborer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: job stability
Cons: job advancement
equipment guide giving hand signals while backhoe is digging. Assigning duties and different tasks to co-workers job site safety and truck driving when i am needed. most enjoyable part is the crew of guys all great people and we work as a tem
dealing with public researching information
Clerk II (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 25, 2012
Pros: love dealing with books
Cons: cannot think of a negative
Librarians and co-workers very knowledgeable and helpful.
Enjoyed working with books but the hardest part was seeing
the inapproprate handling of books by the public
municipal employer
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 8, 2012
Pros: job security
repair and maintanance of municipal fleet. work enviroment .