City of Vancouver Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work environment - issues with management
Theatre Attendant II (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 August 2017
My colleagues and our patrons make our work environment amazing!
Every day is different and always includes customer service whether at the bars or in-house.
Unfortunately, we had a change in management a few years ago which could have been a great thing but has been a serious struggle, especially for those working on the management team.

As I am not on the management team, I thoroughly enjoy working there.
Pros
Union wages, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
inconsistent hours, extreme availability requirement with no guarantees
Fantastic people
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 August 2017
During my entire tenure with the City I've collaborated and have had the opportunity to work along skillful professionals who were always eager to guide and assist at moments when support felt dire.
Perfect first experience for the City
Administrative Coordinator - Clerk - Payroll (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2017
A laid back office atmosphere, busy schedule and great professionals at work, very helpful and understanding. flexible with my needs and gaps, called me back to work again with them.
Pros
early start early out
Cons
tedious and repetitive
Awesome workplace.
On-call Food Service Worker (Dishwasher) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 June 2017
The workplace is lovely with caring co-workers who are always there to help. It is a very casual environment which as a new staff member, I feel at home on my first day at work.
UMW (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
Good job security and salary. Take care of their employees. Union job. Flexible working hours. Provide good safety working environment. Fun working atmosphere.
workout area
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2017
great place to to work, beautiful city to work in,great wages, paid time off vacations, surrounded by great people, full benefits and great work environment
Pros
workout area
Cons
no cons at all
Fun interactive place to work
Green Team Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 April 2017
Everyone works together as a team. The training is amazing. I have never experienced such a supportive work environment. The atmosphere is very positive.
Pros
working downtown van
Cons
answering calls fro angry citizens
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2017
Work life balance and good benefits. Lots of different activities to become involved with. Pleasant co-workers that work hard and get a lot accomplished.
Pros
People taking pride in their work.
Cons
None.
Interesting environment with much to offer
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interesting projects and sets of technologies to work. Many different business units to work with, with different requirements and challenges. Good environment and people.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 January 2017
A typical day working at the City of Vancouver involves interacting with the public who use the rink facilities as well as working together with coworkers to maintain the skate shops at the city rinks. We are also there to ensure everyone is safe in participating in skating and lessons.
Fun Workplace and Great Staff
Program Assistant II, Cashier, Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 December 2016
Great place to work learned a lot from my colleagues. Understood the true meaning of Community and what it brings to people of all ages and the impact it has on everyone.
Lame
Sewers Operation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 November 2016
Lame management. Advancement is minimal at best. Nepotism is very high. No regard for skill or previous experience. It's who you know and who 'likes' you.
Great benefits and time off.
Acting Foreman / Acting Shop Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 October 2016
Typical day is a shift from 3:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

Great people to work with. Sometimes can get a little political being

a union shop. Try to keep out of that as much as possible.
Pros
Overtime, Vacation, good people
Cons
Working afternoons, long commute
Good people however incompetent GM and up.
Security (Former Employee) –  City Hall11 October 2016
Senior managers are the problem in the City. They have the 1970 mgmt. style and have spent hundreds of thousands in severances because of incompetence
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor 1970 style mgmt GMs up to City Manager
Hard work but good people
Recycling Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 October 2016
It was a good experience and i'm glad i got to be a part of it. Everyone was very friendly and made me very welcome and would defiantly do it all over again if i had to.
Easy going place to work, good work life balance but can make one complacent too
Budgeting Analyst (Intern) - FP&A (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 May 2016
Good experience of working for govt. during the internship. Lot of new staff and exciting projects undertaken, have ambitious goals in some areas of work - so can be fun working. At the same time, the pace of work and career advancement, learning new things etc. can be limited. Provides great work life balance though, can at times feel like complacency.
Pros
Work life balance, benefits, exciting projects
Cons
Pace of work, lack of new young staff, complacent and formal work environment
Day at work
Office Administrator, Driver Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 March 2016
Well i work 7.52hours a day and have been working for the city of Vancouver since 2008.
Everyday at work is a learning curve. There is always a new accident, or union matter or a national safety code compliance issue.
My management is extremely knowledgeable and supportive.
My team is very easy going and a fun environment. We all support each other.

The hardest part of my job is i live 1 hour away.

The enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity for me to meet and get to know all the managers and directors of the city of Vancouver. Also to learn about risk management which is connect to my department.
Pros
positive people and opportunity to learn and grow.
Cons
only two females work in my department
Productive workplace offering services to the most vulnerable of the city
Chef/Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2016
My job offers time challenges, volunteer training with people with addictions and mental health issues, and feeding over 500 disadvantaged of the downtown South Community. This is the most enjoyable part of the job, to see the faces of these folks enjoying the sometimes one meal a day they receive, and being the one to cook that meal for them.
Everyday, I learn more about our patrons and volunteers, which offers more insight into the meals that these patrons require, so that I am able to accommodate many different health issues and preferences.
My job has been challenging and fulfilling.
Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Office is 814 Richards St4 March 2016
I will be retiring from my full time position with the City Of Vancouver on April 30th, 2016. I have enjoyed working in a position where I work independently and outside an office environment. I find dealing with the public in stressful situations a challenge that I manage very well. The job has been perfectly suited to my skills and personality.
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Working outside in inclement weather.
HVAC and ammonia plant opertions
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2016
HVAC and ammonia plant operations
Preventive maintenance