City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
busy office
Support Assistant B (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
Pros: busy offices
Cons: commute, hard to get a hold of other depts
many customers,
payments in large sums,
balancing at days end,
systems sometimes hard to maneuver
coworkers are helpful
bank dedposits
fun work place
housekeeping and meals (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: nice enviorment
I cleaned.
I prepared all types of meals.
I organized and maintained and carry out sanitary condition.
The hardest part of my job was standing on my feet for long hours sometimes.
Great employer with great benefits!
Director, Pan/Parapan Am Games Capital Projects (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great compensation and benefits.
Cons: little or no perks at all.
City City of Toronto is a great employer. It was a collegial working atmosphere and I enjoyed my work immensely.

The hardest part of the job is learning and factoring-in the Municipal process of staff reports to Committees and City Council. However, once you master that, the salary, benefits and overall workplace atmosphere makes it all worthwhile. It's a great feeling to actively contribute to your own community.
Great Benefits and Worklife Balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, security
Cons: Can be stifling for ambitious individuals in certain Divisions
It is a great relaxed environment but very difficult to move around. You're stuck pretty much in your role. Not a young or vibrant place to work in some Divisions (Finance, Accounting). Other areas are fun (Planning, Transportation).
fun work place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 17, 2015
Pros: easy job
- fun place to work
- learned a lot about teaching and instruction
- trainings are valuable
- lots of professional development offered
- good job if you want to get into teaching
Good Oppurtunity
Client Service Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2015
There are many opportunities for growth. The clients make the job an important and surreal one. The most challenging part of the position is not being able to contribute to clients lives a little bit more than you might like.
Great pay and work, mediocre environment
Caseworker - Children's Services (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2015
The city pays very well and the work is manageable and enjoyable, but there is a lot of in office politics. These politics often revolve around seniority, and seniority will prevent qualified people from moving up accordingly.
One day of job
Ballot Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good experience
Fast paced environment, provided customer service and information to voters, checked identification and issue the appropriate ballots. This type of experience gives you an opportunity to excel your skills as productivity, customer service and effectiveness in determined period of time.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Aquatics Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 20, 2015
Pros: leadership
Cons: money
I enjoyed teaching children/youths how to swim and to become a proper leader. I was a person in which not only children but even parents who looked up to, it was a great experience.
Lots of variety, crafts and sports
Instructor and Day Care Co-ordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: excellent for students who want to work as shifts are very flexible
Cons: very difficult to work full-time unless you are willing to do several jobs
This was an enjoyable, supportive place to work. I particularly learned a lot from being around so many diverse children.
A Good Experience Overall
Tae Kwon Do Instructor (Part-time) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: reasonable hours and fun. hourly wage is available to the public
Cons: tiring
I work part-time and I appreciate the support from Management to ensure that TKD is encouraged.

I have always had full classes - keeping it challenging

Overall, I found unrealistic expectation of instructors and a club environment is much more conducive to learning.
Fun place to work and meet new people
Facility In-Charge (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 14, 2015
Deal with customers phone calls, visits, and concerns about programs and general inquiries. Great place to meet new people and make friends. Co-workers are great!
Process oriented and structured
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 8, 2015
Maximizing value of the City's own real estate holdings through stewardship and developing divisional collaboration towards the timely execution of strategic objectives.
good secure work environment. fresh air and meeting people
emergencey inspector water/wastewater (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flexible work conditions
Cons: midnight shift
the most enjoyable part of the job was driving around the city of Toronto, and working with a great group!. answering emergency and non emergency calls to resolve issues for citizens and seeing their happy satisfied smiles was very rewarding.
Great
Wading Pool Attendant, Aquatics (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2015
Always had great co-workers, mostly teens and young adults, which makes for a good atmosphere. Typical day lasts 10am-5pm, so the hours are good. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet, whether they be co workers or patrons.
comfortable office feeling, professional customer service
Children's Summer Camp Leader (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
-make 400-500 calls a day
-complete customer satisfaction surveys
-best and worst part was sitting down all day
-very strict breaks can't be even one minute late
Dealing with people and providing customer service
Toronto Police Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: working outdoors in summer
Cons: bad weather, no public in attendance
enjoyed working outdoors and being of assistance to people.
I enjoyed working with a team and ensuring the safety of the public.
Very political but exciting and challenging position with changing Council and Mayors
Manager, Employee and Labour Relations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: generous benefit package and pension plan
Cons: long hours
I love human resources and, in particular, labour relations. Therefore, the City was a great place to rise to never ending challenges. This was especially true during amalgamation.

The work atmosphere changes quite often as senior management often have conflicting human resources philosophies from their predecessors and that sometimes required a 180 degree change in thinking on the part of managers.

The hardest part of the job was the enormous amounts of time that I was away from my family. Sometimes living in downtown hotels for months at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were helping and making a difference for the residents of Toronto, management and operations as well as making the City as good a work place for line staff as possible.
Good
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
long, and usually with one or two other attendants. the bosses were strict but overall the environment was good and it was an easy job
Productive and Excellent Management
Summer Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefit
Cons: contract work
The job required me to use my own judgement in many cases as I was not always supervised. However, there was always someone available to assist me if needed. I was able to work on my own pace as long as I met deadlines. The job consisted of answering phone and email inquiries. Attention to details was very important to all aspect of the job.
The most difficult part of the job was making sure that all calls, regarding discrepencies with City of Toronto buildings, were accurately recorded and dealt with on the same day.
Industry