City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Good place to work part time while in school
Part-Time Aquatic Supervisor/Pool In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Albion Pool7 December 2016
Very good job for a student's lifestyle. Get to pick shifts once you get hired. There is a union involved with this job but you don't have to actively get involved but you pay dues and it is there to protect you if there is a dispute of some sort.
Pros
union
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
excellent work place.
RN in charge (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
exellent work . learned a lot about nursing skills. good co workers. responsibilities for many patients. Team working
very good workplace.
RN in charge, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Pleasant day at work. learned a lot about nursing job. management excellent. Team working with co workers.Hardest was as a supervisor responsible for 500 patients in the evening. enjoyable pary teamworking.
Poor work experience
Project Manager/Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Poor work experience. No proper staff issue resolution.
Work here was rife with political undertones and poor communication skills by management. Work issues could have been better resolved.
Not very stressful
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
The job is very easy and if you are good at talking with people and de-escalating some situations this job is for you. It is not very engaging and a lot of the time you are just sitting there or skating in circles.
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ON30 October 2016
City of Toronto has great benefits for employees. However there is not much room for transitioning to other departments for non-union staff as union staff keep getting priorities over others and room for growth isn't very good.
Good start up job
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2016
Very easy and manageable job, it's a great social environment. The staff and the community is very friendly.

Easy to get along with parents and kids as long as you know the surrounding.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Some kids aren't easy to work with, but managable!
Nice plavce to work
QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2016
I worked at web rev team, it was a good place to work, life work balance,
managers are knowledgeable and supportive. mostly open to new technologies.
A place to learn and grow
Afterschool Recreation Care Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
Movement within the city became a lot easier. Networking possibilities were broadened. City of Toronto commits to training their staff and making sure their employees are knowledgeable in policy and procedures.
AfterSchool
Afterschool Recreation Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2016
Cons: Getting the kids to listen and the there was no structure of the program planning.

When I switched to the position of Adapted and Integration Staff. Less pay. I feel that the A&I staff should be paid as the camp staff because they're putting so much work and effort in managing children with disabilities and behaviour problems. To get less pay than the camp staff is not fair. We put smooch work in watching the participant, and when they or if they act up we are responsible and sometimes it can be draining to deal with the stress. Sometimes we get bitten by them when they act up. I think we deserve to be paid the same as any staff.

Pros: Getting connected with the participant and building a professional relationship with the participant. Trips and seeing the participant getting excited on the trip or activities they're involved in. To see that the participant is having a good time, shows that my work is done successfully.

Having the kids at the program enjoying the games and everything when the program had its rules and structure. It went smoothly at the end.
Pros
Trips
Cons
Less pay
It is a nice place to work
SAP BI Reporting Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
I worked with City of Toronto more than a year. It is a nice place to work. It is like working in a family.
Working hours are also flexible and team is also very cooperative.
Millwright (Current Employee) –  A.B.T.P.3 October 2016
Great salary and benefits, good staff. Friendly atmosphere.
Must have a high tolerance for smells, confined space environments, working at heights and in noisy areas.
City of Toronto
Municipal Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Good environment, good benefits and always opportunities to learn something new. A lot of training involved on job site or courses. Courses available for employess
Very rewarding experiences
Youth Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
my co-weorkers are friendly, they tend to be on the younger side. Working with the public via a municipality can be challenging. They are often confused about which branch does what.
Cons
Part time - difficult to move up
Alec Review
Handy Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
Overall maintenance of parks throughout my designated area.
Report any service that may be subject to other divisions ie. Cutting trees
Interacting with City people
review
exec assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
I really loved my boss and the opportunities this job presented for me in my future career. thank you City Hall. Work was very busy as I managed 2 assistants and the councillor's daily schedule.
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
how it was
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2016
it was fun and filled with smiles surrounded by many happy kid and volunteer and sommitted staff. it was a safe place very energetic and fun . activities were fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3