City of Toronto Employee Reviews

It is a unionized/non-unionized environment and this is sometimes confusing.
Administrative Support 'C' (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2012
A typical day is very busy with alot of phone calls and reception relief work.
You learn alot of course by communication with the clients and staff.
Co-workers try to be helpful. The hardest part I find is dealing with the amount of work.
The enjoyable part is getting things organized so that the next day may not be as hard.
Pros
best benefits in the city.
Cons
because of the union/non-union staff sometimes your not sure who to listen to.
Great atmosphere with astonishing amount of positive energy.
Physiotherapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Main and Gerrard13 July 2016
Complete youth's needs assessment and collaborate with staff to determine most important needs. Positive interaction with clients.
productive and fun - gaming and tv room
Support Assistant B (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2016
typical day - taking calls and assisting customers with their travel plans

management and co-workers- friendly and helpful

hardest part of the job - extreme service levels

most enjoyable - the feeling of successfully planning someone's holiday
Pros
free tickets
happy work
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2015
Work hours is from 6:30am to 2:30pm. The salary is very good. The work environment is very comfortable. I like work with my co-worker.
Government Organization
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2012
The City of Toronto is expanding with residents arriving from all over the World. The City needs to gear to these changes. At this time, the City is a hard place to work as economic times are bad.

Pleasant place if career goal to work as a municipal employee.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
union and management environment
Rewarding work
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2015
The job was rewarding when there were cases that had good out comes. It could be stressful at times due to the high volume of emergencies.
The city provided good job security and great benefits.
Great Benefits and Worklife Balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2015
It is a great relaxed environment but very difficult to move around. You're stuck pretty much in your role. Not a young or vibrant place to work in some Divisions (Finance, Accounting). Other areas are fun (Planning, Transportation).
Pros
Great benefits, security
Cons
Can be stifling for ambitious individuals in certain Divisions
Fun
Event coordinator/ camp leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2016
I work summer camp for 2 weeks in july and 1 week in August.
- I am a pre school camp leader
- Learned how to be patient with kids
- Get along with all of my co workers
- I have fun everyday and everydays different.
Pros
Trips
Cons
not enough lunch time
The City of Toronto is a professional, friendly, safe and clean environment to work and I enjoy working with them
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2015
There is so much to say.

The management is fair and consistently trying to improve quality and quantity of work

Each day, you come to work and leave work at work.

The people who work there are very nice.

The hardest part of my day is pushing my limits and striving to achieve perfection as well as increasing my workload

The most enjoyable part of my day is when I achieve my goals I set out for myself on a daily basis based on workload
Pros
The work is consistant, the people are enjoyable to work with, the environment is clean and safe
Cons
Been working 5 years and am unable to get Full Time
Why I love being a Swim Instructor/Lifeguard
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 February 2016
I enjoy my job incredibly! You have flexible hours and the work load is very light. Its easy and every other co-worker is your friend. The tough parts of work are keeping up with your qualifications, but luckily your CRP can help you remember when things expire. Sometimes shifts may start at 5am which are hard to wake up for. The most enjoyable part of working as an instructor is getting complimented by parents and how much you mean to their kids.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Early morning shifts
A well rounded workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 June 2016
Made everyone feel comfortable that worked there, fair and reasonable with staff members. Everybody working there had a strong work ethic.
Welcoming enjoyable workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2014
A typical day at work was rather simple while working as a rink guard. I would come into work make sure the workplace was clean and respectable. Than, I would put on my safety equipment and get on the ice. Once I was on the ice I would do my rounds ensuring that everyone had the proper equipment on and that they were following city of Toronto mandated instructions. During this job I learned several things, I learned the importance of creative problem solving (while dealing with disgruntled customers ), as well as the importance of being energetic and warm in an effort to promote a safe environment for patrons. One of the best part of the jobs were my co-workers, I got along with every single one of my co-workers including any management I worked with. I was specifically pleased with the management as I had heard so many horror stories and was expecting the worse but in reality I got a very reasonable staff of managers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with patrons who were not happy, some times I felt as if customers had valid arguments but, according to the city of Toronto they were wrong. Thus, I had to side with the City as that was my job and that's what I signed up for. The most enjoyable part of my job was constantly being outside and interacting with the lovely people of my community.
Pros
Good Coworkers, Good Management, Good benefits.
Cons
Dealing with disgruntled employees.
Very good
ARC Leadership Program for the city of Toronto (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2016
I love my job with the city, it has been a very good experience and I am looking forward to starting my job again after the summer break
City Of Toronto
Children Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2016
The most enjoyable day at work is attending work and seeing my participate face.Being able to processed with my program & interacting with children, co workers and care giver on a high warm welcome volume allows me to make room for improvments
Pros
Co workers and management
Cons
leaving at the end of my shift
Its definitely different than the private sector
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2014
Great place to work however unionized environment makes it difficult to be promoted and move up.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Difficult for Promotion
Great company. Nice team members. Great Benefits
Citrix Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 December 2013
Nice working environment. Learn new things every other day. Typical local government style management. Unions
Pros
Stabilitym Benefits
Cons
Slow Growth
Good
Skate Marshall (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
For the Instructional Skating I had learned how to teach children how to skate. The hardest part was when doing report cards for the children because I always liked the children that I had in my group and it was hard for me to give my report to a parent that their child has not passed the level.
Very political but exciting and challenging position with changing Council and Mayors
Manager, Employee and Labour Relations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2014
I love human resources and, in particular, labour relations. Therefore, the City was a great place to rise to never ending challenges. This was especially true during amalgamation.

The work atmosphere changes quite often as senior management often have conflicting human resources philosophies from their predecessors and that sometimes required a 180 degree change in thinking on the part of managers.

The hardest part of the job was the enormous amounts of time that I was away from my family. Sometimes living in downtown hotels for months at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were helping and making a difference for the residents of Toronto, management and operations as well as making the City as good a work place for line staff as possible.
Pros
Generous benefit package and pension plan
Cons
PRovide good Training opportunities and benefits
Client Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2014
Benefits and training are great but you are working for government so there are often changes in policies as governments change their policies,
Good Department to work and grow
Provincial Offences Officer/By-laws Inspector (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2014
If you love law enforcement without guns, this is the job for you.
Pros
Excellent pay and benifits
Cons
deal with angry public while serving tickets

4.3