City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It's a very warm, inviting and productive place to work.
Part-time Administrator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2012
I enjoy the City of Toronto because the day allows for a variety. I have learned that putting customers first (in this case families first) is absolutely essential to ensuring they have what they need.

The management team is always there to help and answer any questions and provide other opportunities for growth.

My co-workers are friendly and are – more... team players so that makes it easy to get along.

The hardest part is dealing with residents who have such severe dementia for instance they're unable to effectively stay what they desire and I'm unfortunately unable to help like I wish.

The most enjoyable is making the residents who wish to share their life story, smile and feel loved. – less
Integration Facilitator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, meeting new people, variation
Cons: not enough hours
Working at the City of Toronto with Adapted and Integration has been great. I love working with the community and making a difference. Everyday going in to work is something different and challenging working with special needs youth. My co-workers are a blast to work with a very supportive. Although it can be quite challenging to go into work expecting – more... the unexpected it is quite enjoyable and I like program planning and execution. – less
Productive and friendly envirnment
Summer Trainee Technical (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 11, 2012
Pros: there is nothing free, but every one is friendly.
Cons: 35 hours per week plus 10 hours overtime work
In my opinion the City of Toronto is the best place to work. The workplace are a friendly environment that you never feel tired.
Organized and well managed workplace
Marketing and Special Events Intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2012
Pros: they made sure i was treated well as an intern
I was an intern so I would do what they asked me to do. I would do stuff like:
-write media releases
-monitor the media for hours
-I got to be apart of Nuit Blanche
Improving your customer satisfaction skill
Deckhand (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: meeting a lot of passengers from all over the world visiting toronto islands
Cons: dealing with intoxicated passengers
You learn how to deal with different people in all situations. Improving more in customer satisfaction aspects.
very fulfilling job
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: working with animals
Cons: long hours
Long hours working with both people and animals. Unionized environment.
productive and fun workplace
rink guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 30, 2012
A typical day, included guarding the ice rink, ensuring that no one was putting anyone else at risk of injury, and socializing with those willing to speak with us. My co-workers were all very well prepared for the job they were given, and they all delivered the expectations of our employers. The hardest part of the job was remaining calm when people – more... chose not to listen to what you were saying.. The most enjoyable part of the job was being on the ice all the time, as hockey is one of my favourite hobbies. – less
productive, confident, respectful envirment
taek won-do instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 28, 2012
Pros: ability to work with the community and be a positive part of their lives
Cons: not every child gets the same support from their guardian
As a taekwon-do instructor i do get the opportunity to work with kids and adults ,and it is a great feeling to be a positive part of the kids lives, i have seen my students growing for years to the point where they start talking about college and university knowing that they are street smart and can defend them selves is very rewarding.
excellent work
Summer Camp/ Fitness Centre/ Afterschool Tutor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 17, 2012
Pros: easy practical
Cons: tiring
fun , diverse, practical, energetic, long, co workers are friendly, the youth are very manageable
Great work culture
WEB SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2012
Pros: flexibility with hrs, laid back culture
Cons: the work is not technically progressive, as most government jobs however, i have kept myself learning more technologies including developing my own content management system.
This has been a great working experience, dealing directly with enterprise clients and helping them market and manage their online portfolios via City of Toronto. I've learned how to juggle a number of clients at once as well as trouble shoot, build and edit content required on a case by case basis.
Government Organization
Finance Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: union and management environment
The City of Toronto is expanding with residents arriving from all over the World. The City needs to gear to these changes. At this time, the City is a hard place to work as economic times are bad.

Pleasant place if career goal to work as a municipal employee.
What I learned.
Building Attendant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 30, 2012
How to communicate and assist the public with anything they need.
It is a unionized/non-unionized environment and this is sometimes confusing.
Administrative Support 'C' (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2012
Pros: best benefits in the city.
Cons: because of the union/non-union staff sometimes your not sure who to listen to.
A typical day is very busy with alot of phone calls and reception relief work.
You learn alot of course by communication with the clients and staff.
Co-workers try to be helpful. The hardest part I find is dealing with the amount of work.
The enjoyable part is getting things organized so that the next day may not be as hard.
Many diverse responsibilities for growth potential.
Communications/Media Relations Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2012
Pros: located in the city's core, amid lots of action and events.
Cons: open format work place without walls was very loud and distracting.
I wrote press releases, community listings, PSAs, speeches and other communication tools; I dealt with journalists, created posters, brochures, photo organizational charts, newsletter entries; I planned events for the City of Toronto such as art and plaque unveilings, community centre openings, Remembrance Day ceremonies, park openings, charity drives, – more... etc. – less
Relaxed Enviornment
Systems Integrator / Project Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Relaxed Enviornment - Slow Pace work. City is great place for some one looking for work life balance and great job security.
Unmanaged hectic workdays
Swimming Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2012
Pros: great pay
Cons: horrible management
Although co-workers are fun and enjoyable, management is a total mess. Scheduling information, trainings and updates are rarely scheduled in advanced and usually rushed. Supplies are not always there and you will always have to make do with what is available. Supervisors are very biased and favour some employees over others for redundant reasons.
it was nice to work with the Company
Legal surveyor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: 7 hours a day
Was overall very good and productive
and the hardest time was to work in winter outside
Excellent place to work - loved the job
Tenant Outreach Worker (Contract) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 15, 2012
Pros: opportunity to work for this employer
Cons: short term contract completed, would have like to work there longer or full time
Excellent place to work - loved the job. Short term contract position.
Loved the work, people I met. Excellent supervisor. Loved the employer.
great place to work
Director of Stakeholder & Council Relations (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 6, 2012
great work environment. Interesting, diverse work day. Wonderful people to work with, dedicated professionals.
Ideal Workplace- City Hall, Toronto
Project Scheduling (Former Employee), Transportation Services- Public Realm Section.May 17, 2012
I was working on an assignment for 3 months on a new program, held by the City, which is " Graffiti Murals in Toronto Streets". My role was creating an inventory recording all Murals that were installed in the past years funded by the City. This inventory includes all the data & information about every mural separately. The overall quantity was about – more... 350 Mural Places. – less

About City of Toronto

Canada’s largest and most multicultural city, Toronto is often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Meeting – Read more