City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Positive work attitude
Solid Waste Mgmt. (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 15, 2015
daily safety circle check required.
teamed with partner most days
good work environment
safety procedures are very important and are enforced
Very casual work enviornmentn which was nice and helpfull
Accident and Insurance Expeditor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Good work hours and location
Cons: Management and several co workers were less than desirable
Job duties were enjoyable. I liked the adjusters I dealt with on a daily basis. I enjoyed preparing various reports, and working with numbers to determine where and how most accidents and costs occurred.
Location was ideal for me as it was very close to the Beaches where I lived.
City of Toronto
After School Care Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
So far the work life is awesome! I really feel proud to hold a position within the City Of Toronto, Parks and Rec. I look forward to the future with the city!
Great place to gain some experience independently and as part of a team
Commander Arena (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, independent, experience working as a team player
Cons: weather conditions, outdoor work, heavy loads
Working for the city can be pretty simple. People are just meant to follow their assigned tasks and complete them to the best of their abilities. Through working for the city, ive learnt quite a few skills such as organization, time management, team skills, communication skills and efficiency. The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to complete a greater amount of work on my own, when there was no team present. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it teaches individuals essential skills to function on their own and as a member of a team. It was truly some great experience learned.
Stable yet flexible and varied workplace
Support Assistant B (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2014
Pros: ability to use different skills in my work. salary and benefits are great, too.
Cons: sometimes advancement requirements are too strict
I'm thankful for the opportunity to use my organizational, research, creative and communication skills in this position to serve both internal and external clients over the years. Plus, the salary and benfits are both fantastic and generous.
Balance of work and family managable
Urban Development (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: work isn't as fulfilling as i would like.
Face to face customer service each day dealing with public and clients alike.
Meeting weekly deadlines and continuously under pressure with two week cycle. I've learned business on both sides of the counter and have great skills to deal with tempers, concerns either real or not.

Co-workers can make the day enjoyable, I get along with my co-workers as they can help in my success.

The most enjoyable part of my week is when someone offers me a sincere thank you, that I made a difference and that my professional advice and mannerism made their decision clearer.
Fun Workplace
Camp Counsellor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management
Team oriented
Challenging at times
Swimming is best part
Multicultural
Very supportive
very easy going
Great First Job
Wading pool attendant and Gate Keeper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
-worked with great staff
-got along with everyone
-great training
-supervisors were helpful
-great stepping stone job
-many people become life guards after
-great way to make money over the summer
ongoing education for the staffs
psw (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
very stressful work load is too much and not enough staffing, making my resident happy each day is the best part of my day management at some location does not respect psw or nurses co-workers can at times be very selfish especially if you are a new staff
Awsome place to work with knowledgable colleagues
Civil Engineering Technician (Co-op) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2015
I am assisting transportation engineers to test transit signal priority (TSP) operations and programs in the lab.
I go to field to implement of new transit signal operation at select intersections.
I also prepare project management documents such as schedules, flow charts, project tracks (budgeting) and etc..
I am assisting in draft and upgrading signal drawing of the transportation projects in microstarion.
I also organize the intersection inspection reports.
Municipal government located in the heart of downtown
Student Intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: Short Hours, Management team is friendly, one of the best employers to work with.
Cons: Nothing much to learn. Only for networking and socializing.
Only one word to describe this place - AWESOME. Wish to join the city for a better opportunity. Typical day is between 9am to 3pm. All the employees are friendly. And since the office is located in downtown, the experience is even more amazing.
City Office
File Clerk-on contract (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
This is a lovely work environment. The staff is friendly, attentive and approachable.

Filing was a main priority with my position here and it was nice that everyone was on board to make the filing easier.
union
Parks Handy Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: get paid to do nothing
Cons: you do nothing all day
you can be bumped out of your position if a senior employee wants it after their contract is up, cutting your contract short. They give little heads up.
Welcoming enjoyable workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good coworkers, good management, good benefits.
Cons: dealing with disgruntled employees.
A typical day at work was rather simple while working as a rink guard. I would come into work make sure the workplace was clean and respectable. Than, I would put on my safety equipment and get on the ice. Once I was on the ice I would do my rounds ensuring that everyone had the proper equipment on and that they were following city of Toronto mandated instructions. During this job I learned several things, I learned the importance of creative problem solving (while dealing with disgruntled customers ), as well as the importance of being energetic and warm in an effort to promote a safe environment for patrons. One of the best part of the jobs were my co-workers, I got along with every single one of my co-workers including any management I worked with. I was specifically pleased with the management as I had heard so many horror stories and was expecting the worse but in reality I got a very reasonable staff of managers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with patrons who were not happy, some times I felt as if customers had valid arguments but, according to the city of Toronto they were wrong. Thus, I had to side with the City as that was my job and that's what I signed up for. The most enjoyable part of my job was constantly being outside and interacting with the lovely people of my community.
Very political but exciting and challenging position with changing Council and Mayors
Manager, Employee and Labour Relations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: generous benefit package and pension plan
Cons: long hours
I love human resources and, in particular, labour relations. Therefore, the City was a great place to rise to never ending challenges. This was especially true during amalgamation.

The work atmosphere changes quite often as senior management often have conflicting human resources philosophies from their predecessors and that sometimes required a 180 degree change in thinking on the part of managers.

The hardest part of the job was the enormous amounts of time that I was away from my family. Sometimes living in downtown hotels for months at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were helping and making a difference for the residents of Toronto, management and operations as well as making the City as good a work place for line staff as possible.
fun work place
housekeeping and meals (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: nice enviorment
Cons: long hours
I cleaned.
I prepared all types of meals.
I organized and maintained and carry out sanitary condition.
The hardest part of my job was standing on my feet for long hours sometimes.
It is a unionized/non-unionized environment and this is sometimes confusing.
Administrative Support 'C' (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2012
Pros: best benefits in the city.
Cons: because of the union/non-union staff sometimes your not sure who to listen to.
A typical day is very busy with alot of phone calls and reception relief work.
You learn alot of course by communication with the clients and staff.
Co-workers try to be helpful. The hardest part I find is dealing with the amount of work.
The enjoyable part is getting things organized so that the next day may not be as hard.
Productive and fun place with free food
ARC Staff and mentor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 17, 2015
Pros: Free snacks and being active.
Cons: Short hours
A typical day would include: preparing snacks, play games, equipment management and supervising children.

I learned how to be patient, and cook.

My co-works were fun, enthusiastic and creative.

The hardest part of the job is when you have to write and incidence
report. This meant that one of the children had gotten hurt.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when i get to engage with the children, and just being active.
Government Organization
Finance Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: union and management environment
The City of Toronto is expanding with residents arriving from all over the World. The City needs to gear to these changes. At this time, the City is a hard place to work as economic times are bad.

Pleasant place if career goal to work as a municipal employee.
Pretty positive
Swim Instructor & Adapted Integrated Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2015
loved the environment . loved who i worked with it.
we just need to really priority in the right places. when we think of young people with disabilities we really need to be empowering them, and creating a curriculum that allows them to succeed
Industry