City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Overall great place to work
Health and Wellness Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2013
Pros: working with great people, working with children, implementing health and wellness activities the way i would like to
Cons: a lot of trainings and meetings.
I really enjoyed my time working for the City of Toronto. I worked with some really good people who always motivated me.
Lots of culture
Water Department, Administrative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2013
Pros: great hours; culture
Cons: seniority based
Through my years of working at the City of Toronto I would say it was a great experience. You learn a lot quickly and it is very cultured. I didn't stick to one 'title' but was moved around a lot and macro-managed a lot of different projects, which I loved. The environment was great and so were the hours.
Stable
Business Information Officer (co-op) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2013
Help small business owners distinguish different business structures and research information for them as requested
Help set up booth and be there to provide answers in trade shows
This job helps one to develop communication and client service skills, it also requires leadership skills because one has to make the call when helping clients
The co-workers – more... are friendly and willing to help
The most enjoyable part of the job is to help client develop their career – less
Government
Customer Service Representative - Citizen Services (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Providing access to information and Citizenship for residents of the City of Toronto. Very interesting work doing research, advocacy for the public. Enjoyed both written and individual communication with both the public and elected officials.
Good work experience
Head Life Guard, Swimming Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: lack of promotional opportunity
After working there for 9 years I have encountered good staff and excellent managers. Working for the City of Toronto is something I would recommend to anyone.
Productive and fun workplace
Facility Attendant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Cons: long hours
Loved working with the City of Toronto, extremely inclusive and helpful to all of its staff.
Enjoy Day at Work
Driver Loader and Logistics Cordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: free state of art gym
Cons: long hours
Love to be extremely Busy , and I enjoy the people I work with and my team is very passionate and hard working and makes my day go faster and easy , even though its high stress job with lot of risk factors and dealing with lot of people with minds and thoughts , but just staying calm and focussed makes it stress free day .
Fun workplace with a swimming pool
Lifeguard and Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: great pay for a student (above minimum wage)
A typical day at work consisted of interacting with many patrons and assuring their safety at the pool. I have learned to communicate effectively with different types of people as we get a lot of people coming into the pool each and everyday. I also learned to work well with little kids as I had to teach them. The management was great as I was never – more... confused as to who I reported to. I enjoy spending time with my co-workers as we were all similar in age (students) and we would have a lot to talk about during break times. The hardest part of the job is when a patron gives you a hard time because you have to always keep your calm even when you know they are wrong. – less
Follow workers are warm and accommodating.
Piano Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2013
Its a nice place to work on. I want to move on and get an 8 hour full time Job with Benefits
Fun loving jobs
Lifeguard/Instructor/Skateboard Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
Pros: work in the city
Cons: job security
Working for the municipality of the mega city presents a large opportunity to discover different avenues in which one can prosper. Toronto offers the most variety of programs to suit anyone's needs. Being a part of such a large group of dedicated workers felt great.
would teach children 6 - 13
Dance Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2013
Pros: working with kids, co-workers
Would provide children with a 2 week program to educate them further in dance, We would provide trips, and shows at the end of the year. This required managing a schedule, and budget planning.
productive and fun work place at soccer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2013
Pros: team work
Cons: long hours
I worked in focus on youth which is a summer job . i learnt how to be a team player and how to take care of kids . I knew my co-works so i had fun with them . The hardest part of the job the is some of the kids dont really listen to us .
Typical day at work
Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 14, 2013
A typical day consists of maintaining a safe environment for patrons and ensuring the safety of children.
Internship
Planning Researcher (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 29, 2013
I developed skills in policy paper research, briefing notes and working in a fast paced municipal government workspace.
Good company
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: some poor management
i learned to work hard and you will be rewarded. Some of the management didn't allow you to instill your vision and lack understanding of what direction to go in. the clients were great and it was an honor to serve them.
Place thats loyal to you
Lifeguard/ Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 20, 2013
Pros: being in a near water
Cons: chlorine
Being a lifeguard means being in the water all the time teaching children to swim.

You -must- keep all yours quals up to date (pay for them yourselves), your co workers are generally aged 16-22 with supervisors being 22-28, so its a young environment.
Efficiency
Alzheimer Society Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2013
Accuracy and efficiency both are equally important at work.
Productive environment, enhances learning, not for the lazy worker
Support Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 5, 2013
Pros: learning
Cons: client unreasonable demands for review to be completed
A typical day at work consists of gathing information for applications that have been submitted for construction, renovation etc. The job requires that a fair bit of research is do prior to issuing job to an examiner for review. Management is very cooperative and is knowledgabe of construction in the district. Co-workers are professional and quite lovely – more... to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job is keep busy as well as continued learning. – less
Balance of work and family managable
Urban Development (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: work isn't as fulfilling as i would like.
Face to face customer service each day dealing with public and clients alike.
Meeting weekly deadlines and continuously under pressure with two week cycle. I've learned business on both sides of the counter and have great skills to deal with tempers, concerns either real or not.

Co-workers can make the day enjoyable, I get along with my co-workers – more... as they can help in my success.

The most enjoyable part of my week is when someone offers me a sincere thank you, that I made a difference and that my professional advice and mannerism made their decision clearer. – less
BILINGUAL COURT SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR
Bilingual Support Assistant B (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: lots of training offered
Cons: very formalized breaks and lunch....not always timely with providing best customer service, etc.
I love to keep learning and work with high performance teams in order to provide the best bilingual customer service. I really appreciate being responsible to undertake various duties and responsibilities: prioritization, sharing of work, communication of status and how and timeline to complete, and sharing experience with fellow workers.

About City of Toronto

Canada’s largest and most multicultural city, Toronto is often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Meeting – Read more