City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

Ballot Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Handled intense chaos with the help of colleagues in assisting citizens for the City of Toronto Elections. Ended the day successfully in a productive manner.
Everyday is a different day
Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 4, 2015
If you like variety and working with the public and kids... this is the job for you. You set your own hours and participate in programs you want. Kids are kids and can be unpredictable. There aren't any medical or health benefits, but the joy you get from putting a smile on a child's face is irreplaceable.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Fun Place to work at and you're always busy.
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Working with the City of Toronto is great! You are able to do something you love and can use that as a form of exercise. Sometimes it gets very cold but that's okay, simple solution is to go inside, make a quick tea and warm up. Usually I would get there about 5-10 minutes earlier then I would put all my proper equipment on which includes; CSA approved helmet, skates, whistle, fanny pack full of first aid products and luminescent vest. At first I was nervous because I was young and not confident but then I gained confidence and learned that I was great with talking to people and great with helping them in anyway possible. Unfortunately, in the past year (almost 2) my managers have changed but they were both very nice people to work with. The co-workers are great because everyone is around the same age. Some new young workers come so I get to share my knowledge and experience with them and answer an questions they have and make sure they don't get as nervous as me when I first started.
Pros
Get to do what you love and skating is a form of exercise!
Cons
Sometimes gets too cold to stay outside for long hours
City of Toronto
After School Care Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
So far the work life is awesome! I really feel proud to hold a position within the City Of Toronto, Parks and Rec. I look forward to the future with the city!
Productive work place with lots to learn
Traffic Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Great opportunity to learn about various computer programs and traffic hardware. The management was supportive and always willing to take time to help junior staff.
Pros
Open door policy with management
Cons
Fairly low salary
Support Assistant B
Support Assistant B (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Great place to work. I get opportunities to learn about different areas of business. Enjoyed working with colleagues and learning from them.
Pretty positive
Swim Instructor & Adapted Integrated Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2015
loved the environment . loved who i worked with it.
we just need to really priority in the right places. when we think of young people with disabilities we really need to be empowering them, and creating a curriculum that allows them to succeed
We provide funding for seniors and people with disabilities so they can continue to live in their homes independently.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2015
Assisting seniors and persons with disabilities to continue living in their homes is priority. My office offers federal/provincial funding for lower-income seniors and persons with disabilities who wish to make health and safety repairs to their homes.

Answer phone calls/emails/front desk inquiries. Assess elgibility of requests from constituents for our program. Process paperwork for funding approval and issuing of funding..

Maintain data base on funding and provide reports to theCity of Toronto and Ministry.

I work with four Program Officers and assist them with the applications at different stages of the funding process.

Hardest part of my job is letting people know they are NOT eligible for our programs because of income, repair/modification item or their property value is too high.

Helping a senior/person with disability live in their own homes independently.

Benefits
Cons
too many hours
Good Summer Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2015
I'm just a student working the summer. The work / life balance is good because when I'm done for the day, I am done. The hours are great because you are garunteed to work everyday Monday to Friday for the same time period. Which was good because it left my weekends free and secered my income for the few months I was there. Dealing with people all day helped me gain alot of communication skills which is super important for any job.
Pros
1 hr lunch, 2 15 min breaks, free weekends
Cons
A little repetative
ongoing education for the staffs
psw (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
very stressful work load is too much and not enough staffing, making my resident happy each day is the best part of my day management at some location does not respect psw or nurses co-workers can at times be very selfish especially if you are a new staff
Productive place with very nice people!
UI/UX Designer Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2015
Everyone is so nice that I became familiar with my work in a real short time. We worked as a team and everyone did a great job in this collaborative unit.
team work is the key
Bilingual Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2015
A great place for students to finish their internship.
can learn a lot of useful knowledge as a office assistant, such as website design, arrange meeting and filing,etc.
Pros
flexible working hours
great workplace
Environmental Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
engaged in many different projects and provided day-to-day services to project owners by being the point of contact for many different contractors and third party companies.
Very casual work enviornmentn which was nice and helpfull
Accident and Insurance Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2015
Job duties were enjoyable. I liked the adjusters I dealt with on a daily basis. I enjoyed preparing various reports, and working with numbers to determine where and how most accidents and costs occurred.
Location was ideal for me as it was very close to the Beaches where I lived.
Pros
Good work hours and location
Cons
Management and several co workers were less than desirable
Rewarding work
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 6, 2015
The job was rewarding when there were cases that had good out comes. It could be stressful at times due to the high volume of emergencies.
The city provided good job security and great benefits.
busy office
Support Assistant B (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
many customers,
payments in large sums,
balancing at days end,
systems sometimes hard to maneuver
coworkers are helpful
bank dedposits
Pros
busy offices
Cons
commute, hard to get a hold of other depts
Municipal government located in the heart of downtown
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
Only one word to describe this place - AWESOME. Wish to join the city for a better opportunity. Typical day is between 9am to 3pm. All the employees are friendly. And since the office is located in downtown, the experience is even more amazing.
Pros
Short Hours, Management team is friendly, one of the best employers to work with.
Cons
Nothing much to learn. Only for networking and socializing.
fun work place
housekeeping and meals (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
I cleaned.
I prepared all types of meals.
I organized and maintained and carry out sanitary condition.
The hardest part of my job was standing on my feet for long hours sometimes.
Pros
nice enviorment
Cons
A positive and productive work environment that values diversity and life long learning
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
The City of Toronto is an organization that values the skills and knowledge of its workforce. The organizations offers a working environment that promotes diversity, personal development and organizational learning.
Awsome place to work with knowledgable colleagues
Civil Engineering Technician (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2015
I am assisting transportation engineers to test transit signal priority (TSP) operations and programs in the lab.
I go to field to implement of new transit signal operation at select intersections.
I also prepare project management documents such as schedules, flow charts, project tracks (budgeting) and etc..
I am assisting in draft and upgrading signal drawing of the transportation projects in microstarion.
I also organize the intersection inspection reports.

4.3