City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

fun workplace
Pre-school coordinator, Heron park (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Hardest part of the job would have to be remembering everyone's names. The best thing would have to be seeing the kids get the physical benefits they need.
Pros
prep time
Cons
a lot to clean up
The foundation for my communication and PR skills
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2015
Working as a lifeguard and swim instructor provided me insight into the operation of recreational programming in the city. While there is a lot of bureaucracy and politics at the management level, it is a great first job and helped develop my communication, problem-solving, time-management and organizational skills.
Love going into to work and seeing all the old and new faces at my class.
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
I love to work with people and being a fitness instructor gives me the opportunity to meet and interact with all different types of wonderful people everyday.

However, after taking a long break from the corporate environment due to taking care of my aging parents I am now ready to engage and put my time and efforts back into the role of Credit & Collections, Accounts Receivable, Cash Application etc.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with people everyday
Cons
Won't be able to have breakfast at 10 am in the morning in my pj
Challenging
Shelter Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
A challenging environment to work in. Evaluations with employees and management should be mandatory on a regular basis.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Not very much personal time
Flexible work hours, and the opportunity to engage with kids
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
The City of Toronto provides a flexible work environment that fits a wide variety of lifestyles. I was able to work for them throughout high school, and seasonally while i was away for university. The job is primarily about making sure the public is satisfied with its service, which at times produces conflict. This job is definitely customer service oriented, so be prepared. Ultimately, the positive experiences with the kids outshine most negative experiences
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Emotionally Demanding
Fun Place
Handy Worker 3 (Current Employee) –  Sheppard and LesileOctober 21, 2015
Great atmosphere and very fun place to work. A great place to learn and grow. Management and employees are all in it together
Great First Job
Wading pool attendant and Gate Keeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
-worked with great staff
-got along with everyone
-great training
-supervisors were helpful
-great stepping stone job
-many people become life guards after
-great way to make money over the summer
Great place to be...
Camp & Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
Working for the city of Toronto is an amazing opportunity and a great place to be. Every day is different and you get to work in a supportive environment with great Corporate culture.
Good
SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2015
The culture was great and every one was amazing. Willing to help and excellent team work with a nice safety goal zero target in mind of all the employee beginning from the top management.
happy work
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2015
Work hours is from 6:30am to 2:30pm. The salary is very good. The work environment is very comfortable. I like work with my co-worker.
Excellent employer
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2015
Recently started job with city of toronto. excellent employer, equal opportunity employer with excellent benefits and ongoing training
Pros
comradery
Cons
long shifts
City Office
File Clerk-on contract (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
This is a lovely work environment. The staff is friendly, attentive and approachable.

Filing was a main priority with my position here and it was nice that everyone was on board to make the filing easier.
union
Parks Handy Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
you can be bumped out of your position if a senior employee wants it after their contract is up, cutting your contract short. They give little heads up.
Pros
get paid to do nothing
Cons
you do nothing all day
Fun Place to Work
Support Assistant to Director (Current Employee) –  City HallSeptember 14, 2015
assisted with events and loved every minute, the staff and culture throughout was an amazing experience and couldn't ask for better managers, directors and coworkers
Pros
Supports Family Life and Work Life
Cons
Far commute from Brampton
Government service of high calibre
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Productive workplace serving Canada's largest city directly serving the residents and businesses.
Demanding and detailed work in which the results were seen a year or two later.
Supportive management and co-workers.
Typical large government bureaucracy and politics but that is expected and the staff cared about their work.
Fun Workplace
Camp Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management
Team oriented
Challenging at times
Swimming is best part
Multicultural
Very supportive
very easy going
Ballot Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Handled intense chaos with the help of colleagues in assisting citizens for the City of Toronto Elections. Ended the day successfully in a productive manner.
Everyday is a different day
Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 4, 2015
If you like variety and working with the public and kids... this is the job for you. You set your own hours and participate in programs you want. Kids are kids and can be unpredictable. There aren't any medical or health benefits, but the joy you get from putting a smile on a child's face is irreplaceable.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Fun Place to work at and you're always busy.
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Working with the City of Toronto is great! You are able to do something you love and can use that as a form of exercise. Sometimes it gets very cold but that's okay, simple solution is to go inside, make a quick tea and warm up. Usually I would get there about 5-10 minutes earlier then I would put all my proper equipment on which includes; CSA approved helmet, skates, whistle, fanny pack full of first aid products and luminescent vest. At first I was nervous because I was young and not confident but then I gained confidence and learned that I was great with talking to people and great with helping them in anyway possible. Unfortunately, in the past year (almost 2) my managers have changed but they were both very nice people to work with. The co-workers are great because everyone is around the same age. Some new young workers come so I get to share my knowledge and experience with them and answer an questions they have and make sure they don't get as nervous as me when I first started.
Pros
Get to do what you love and skating is a form of exercise!
Cons
Sometimes gets too cold to stay outside for long hours
City of Toronto
After School Care Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
So far the work life is awesome! I really feel proud to hold a position within the City Of Toronto, Parks and Rec. I look forward to the future with the city!

4.3