City of Toronto Employee Reviews

retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
Not very stressful
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
The job is very easy and if you are good at talking with people and de-escalating some situations this job is for you. It is not very engaging and a lot of the time you are just sitting there or skating in circles.
Loved teaching the youth basketball skills
Drop-In Basketball (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2016
Connected to the youth who were apart of the program & taught them basketball skills that would help them get prepared for big tournaments & games
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling Acres22 June 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Summer Work Term Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Good place to work. Good employees and employer. Good building. Everything is good. Good good good. Almost near the minimum character limit...and it's done.
Very Welcoming
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2016
The City of Toronto provides a very welcoming environment with excellent benefits and job security. I would recommend working there to others.
Lifeguard - City of Toronto
Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2017
Great place to work. Very easy going and supportive. Also very flexible with work schedules. People who work there are nice.
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
It is a nice place to work
SAP BI Reporting Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
I worked with City of Toronto more than a year. It is a nice place to work. It is like working in a family.
Working hours are also flexible and team is also very cooperative.
AfterSchool
Afterschool Recreation Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2016
Cons: Getting the kids to listen and the there was no structure of the program planning.

When I switched to the position of Adapted and Integration Staff. Less pay. I feel that the A&I staff should be paid as the camp staff because they're putting so much work and effort in managing children with disabilities and behaviour problems. To get less pay than the camp staff is not fair. We put smooch work in watching the participant, and when they or if they act up we are responsible and sometimes it can be draining to deal with the stress. Sometimes we get bitten by them when they act up. I think we deserve to be paid the same as any staff.

Pros: Getting connected with the participant and building a professional relationship with the participant. Trips and seeing the participant getting excited on the trip or activities they're involved in. To see that the participant is having a good time, shows that my work is done successfully.

Having the kids at the program enjoying the games and everything when the program had its rules and structure. It went smoothly at the end.
Pros
Trips
Cons
Less pay
fun workplace
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 January 2017
Making sure the children are well looked after and all programs are being ran smoothly. Planing future programs for the youth.
Swim Instructor
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor and Pool Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
People that work for the city of toronto are great people t work with, they are fun energetic and bring a lot of customer service to the table which is great when interacting with parents and kids
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
review
exec assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
I really loved my boss and the opportunities this job presented for me in my future career. thank you City Hall. Work was very busy as I managed 2 assistants and the councillor's daily schedule.
City of Toronto
Municipal Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Good environment, good benefits and always opportunities to learn something new. A lot of training involved on job site or courses. Courses available for employess
amazing
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ON9 May 2016
working with the city was great and i am still doing it because i love working with them and it is a fun job to do. A typical day at work would be arriving then setting up all the policy and procedure signs that the City of Toronto has. Then I would have to make sure that the ice is in good condition for the patriants to skate on. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to skate the entire time and getting to interact with people while we work. My co-workers are all amazing people and i love working with them we all have loads of fun working together.
Pros
only working weekends
Cons
more money for such little hours
Nice plavce to work
QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2016
I worked at web rev team, it was a good place to work, life work balance,
managers are knowledgeable and supportive. mostly open to new technologies.
Alec Review
Handy Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
Overall maintenance of parks throughout my designated area.
Report any service that may be subject to other divisions ie. Cutting trees
Interacting with City people
how it was
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2016
it was fun and filled with smiles surrounded by many happy kid and volunteer and sommitted staff. it was a safe place very energetic and fun . activities were fun
Great
Rink Guard (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2016
It was very fun to do. All we had to do was make sure the people who came were safe and make sure the ice was safe as well. working for then was fun and amazing only problem is that the pay was not the greatest.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Short pay

4.3