City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

productive and fun work enviroment with great and outstanding co workers.
Volunteer Community Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 8, 2016
A very welcoming and home feeling like work environment. with friendly and productive co workers. fun enjoying work environment.
Pros
stay fit by channeling energy into movement
Cons
no real good benifits to use
Fun Place to work at and you're always busy.
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Working with the City of Toronto is great! You are able to do something you love and can use that as a form of exercise. Sometimes it gets very cold but that's okay, simple solution is to go inside, make a quick tea and warm up. Usually I would get there about 5-10 minutes earlier then I would put all my proper equipment on which includes; CSA approved helmet, skates, whistle, fanny pack full of first aid products and luminescent vest. At first I was nervous because I was young and not confident but then I gained confidence and learned that I was great with talking to people and great with helping them in anyway possible. Unfortunately, in the past year (almost 2) my managers have changed but they were both very nice people to work with. The co-workers are great because everyone is around the same age. Some new young workers come so I get to share my knowledge and experience with them and answer an questions they have and make sure they don't get as nervous as me when I first started.
Pros
Get to do what you love and skating is a form of exercise!
Cons
Sometimes gets too cold to stay outside for long hours
Good workplace
After-school Recreation Care: Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- Positive work environment
- Opportunities for growth
- Flexible hours
- Variety of positions available
- Opportunities to receive various beneficial trainings and certifications
Good
Skate Marshall (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
For the Instructional Skating I had learned how to teach children how to skate. The hardest part was when doing report cards for the children because I always liked the children that I had in my group and it was hard for me to give my report to a parent that their child has not passed the level.
Great Benefits and Worklife Balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2015
It is a great relaxed environment but very difficult to move around. You're stuck pretty much in your role. Not a young or vibrant place to work in some Divisions (Finance, Accounting). Other areas are fun (Planning, Transportation).
Pros
Great benefits, security
Cons
Can be stifling for ambitious individuals in certain Divisions
Assistant Planner (Current Employee) –  TorontoApril 15, 2016
Amazing work environment with great opportunities for career advancement. The management is helpful and skilled to assist you in the career progression. Working with the biggest City in Canada allows you to learn skills in a fast paced work environment.
fast paced environment, workers who are passionate
Assistant to Community development project (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
working with the city of Toronto has been a very fast paced environment, with meetings every week with different groups and a lot of dynamic scheduling processes. when working with the city of Toronto you see the dynamics in which they work and how passionate they all are with their job. its a great environment
every work day is a fun day
Operator apol (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
the city of toronto is my second home a family a family of good workers management making each and every day great day every one is one
Pros
help when needed
Cons
40 hours 8 hours per day
Wonderful place to work and learn
Front-end Web Developer (Former Employee) –  55 John Street, TorontoApril 1, 2016
I have gained valuable lifetime experiences while obtaining the comprehensive understanding of the technical and communicational skills.

A friendly and enthusiasm environment with great managers and team members.
Love going into to work and seeing all the old and new faces at my class.
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
I love to work with people and being a fitness instructor gives me the opportunity to meet and interact with all different types of wonderful people everyday.

However, after taking a long break from the corporate environment due to taking care of my aging parents I am now ready to engage and put my time and efforts back into the role of Credit & Collections, Accounts Receivable, Cash Application etc.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with people everyday
Cons
Won't be able to have breakfast at 10 am in the morning in my pj
Grate employer
Work Term Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
In this work term, I paticipated in the daily work of Optimized Maintenance Unit in Toronto Water. I gained experience in facility management and project scheduling. I also benfited from the internal training system on various courses.
Flexible work hours, and the opportunity to engage with kids
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
The City of Toronto provides a flexible work environment that fits a wide variety of lifestyles. I was able to work for them throughout high school, and seasonally while i was away for university. The job is primarily about making sure the public is satisfied with its service, which at times produces conflict. This job is definitely customer service oriented, so be prepared. Ultimately, the positive experiences with the kids outshine most negative experiences
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Emotionally Demanding
Fun and inclusive workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
i worked as a rink guard serving the general public. It was a very fun job as i was able to interact with different people every day. my coworkers were incredibly nice and very helpful.
Pros
good pay
Cons
working in the cold
Government service of high calibre
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Productive workplace serving Canada's largest city directly serving the residents and businesses.
Demanding and detailed work in which the results were seen a year or two later.
Supportive management and co-workers.
Typical large government bureaucracy and politics but that is expected and the staff cared about their work.
great environement and teamwork
School Recreation Care Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2015
working with the city is a great learning experience. it opened lots of doors for me in various job fields. i recomand this to employees who are looking forward to expanding their knowledge and experience in the recreational field
Fun Place to Work
Support Assistant to Director (Current Employee) –  City HallSeptember 14, 2015
assisted with events and loved every minute, the staff and culture throughout was an amazing experience and couldn't ask for better managers, directors and coworkers
Pros
Supports Family Life and Work Life
Cons
Far commute from Brampton
Things are looking way up...
Financial and Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  City HallJune 13, 2014
After a review two years ago it is good to see that the City of Toronto Fleet Department has finally hired a high caliber Division Head who is the top in his field. As the largest City in Canada and with the new strong leadership in Fleet it is surely to become "the place to work" in the city of Toronto.

If you want a career in fleet management or if you want to gain excellent experience in a variety of areas you will work hard and you will see changes but it will not be a wasted opportunity.

The best part of the job is the benefits and the people
Pros
new leadership
Cons
past practices
Great experience
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 9, 2016
Excellent team members, and a lot of responsibilty offered for this position. Accuracy and efficiency were key to performing this job effectively.
Fun workplace
Camp Counsellor, Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2016
I have been working for the city for years now and it has been a great experience. I enjoy the multiple roles that I am apart of.
Pros
experience
Cons
senority
Good
SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2015
The culture was great and every one was amazing. Willing to help and excellent team work with a nice safety goal zero target in mind of all the employee beginning from the top management.

4.3