City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent employer
Firefighter (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2015
Pros: comradery
Cons: long shifts
Recently started job with city of toronto. excellent employer, equal opportunity employer with excellent benefits and ongoing training
City Office
File Clerk-on contract (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
This is a lovely work environment. The staff is friendly, attentive and approachable.

Filing was a main priority with my position here and it was nice that everyone was on board to make the filing easier.
union
Parks Handy Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: get paid to do nothing
Cons: you do nothing all day
you can be bumped out of your position if a senior employee wants it after their contract is up, cutting your contract short. They give little heads up.
Fun Place to Work
Support Assistant to Director (Current Employee), City HallSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Supports Family Life and Work Life
Cons: Far commute from Brampton
assisted with events and loved every minute, the staff and culture throughout was an amazing experience and couldn't ask for better managers, directors and coworkers
Government service of high calibre
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Productive workplace serving Canada's largest city directly serving the residents and businesses.
Demanding and detailed work in which the results were seen a year or two later.
Supportive management and co-workers.
Typical large government bureaucracy and politics but that is expected and the staff cared about their work.
Fun Workplace
Camp Counsellor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management
Team oriented
Challenging at times
Swimming is best part
Multicultural
Very supportive
very easy going
Ballot Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Handled intense chaos with the help of colleagues in assisting citizens for the City of Toronto Elections. Ended the day successfully in a productive manner.
Everyday is a different day
Recreation Worker (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Set your own hours
Cons: Low pay, no benefits
If you like variety and working with the public and kids... this is the job for you. You set your own hours and participate in programs you want. Kids are kids and can be unpredictable. There aren't any medical or health benefits, but the joy you get from putting a smile on a child's face is irreplaceable.
Fun Place to work at and you're always busy.
Rink Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Get to do what you love and skating is a form of exercise!
Cons: Sometimes gets too cold to stay outside for long hours
Working with the City of Toronto is great! You are able to do something you love and can use that as a form of exercise. Sometimes it gets very cold but that's okay, simple solution is to go inside, make a quick tea and warm up. Usually I would get there about 5-10 minutes earlier then I would put all my proper equipment on which includes; CSA approved helmet, skates, whistle, fanny pack full of first aid products and luminescent vest. At first I was nervous because I was young and not confident but then I gained confidence and learned that I was great with talking to people and great with helping them in anyway possible. Unfortunately, in the past year (almost 2) my managers have changed but they were both very nice people to work with. The co-workers are great because everyone is around the same age. Some new young workers come so I get to share my knowledge and experience with them and answer an questions they have and make sure they don't get as nervous as me when I first started.
City of Toronto
After School Care Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
So far the work life is awesome! I really feel proud to hold a position within the City Of Toronto, Parks and Rec. I look forward to the future with the city!
Productive work place with lots to learn
Traffic Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Open door policy with management
Cons: Fairly low salary
Great opportunity to learn about various computer programs and traffic hardware. The management was supportive and always willing to take time to help junior staff.
Support Assistant B
Support Assistant B (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Great place to work. I get opportunities to learn about different areas of business. Enjoyed working with colleagues and learning from them.
Pretty positive
Swim Instructor & Adapted Integrated Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2015
loved the environment . loved who i worked with it.
we just need to really priority in the right places. when we think of young people with disabilities we really need to be empowering them, and creating a curriculum that allows them to succeed
We provide funding for seniors and people with disabilities so they can continue to live in their homes independently.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: too many hours
Assisting seniors and persons with disabilities to continue living in their homes is priority. My office offers federal/provincial funding for lower-income seniors and persons with disabilities who wish to make health and safety repairs to their homes.

Answer phone calls/emails/front desk inquiries. Assess elgibility of requests from constituents for our program. Process paperwork for funding approval and issuing of funding..

Maintain data base on funding and provide reports to theCity of Toronto and Ministry.

I work with four Program Officers and assist them with the applications at different stages of the funding process.

Hardest part of my job is letting people know they are NOT eligible for our programs because of income, repair/modification item or their property value is too high.

Helping a senior/person with disability live in their own homes independently.

Good Summer Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2015
Pros: 1 hr lunch, 2 15 min breaks, free weekends
Cons: A little repetative
I'm just a student working the summer. The work / life balance is good because when I'm done for the day, I am done. The hours are great because you are garunteed to work everyday Monday to Friday for the same time period. Which was good because it left my weekends free and secered my income for the few months I was there. Dealing with people all day helped me gain alot of communication skills which is super important for any job.
ongoing education for the staffs
psw (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
very stressful work load is too much and not enough staffing, making my resident happy each day is the best part of my day management at some location does not respect psw or nurses co-workers can at times be very selfish especially if you are a new staff
Productive place with very nice people!
UI/UX Designer Internship (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2015
Everyone is so nice that I became familiar with my work in a real short time. We worked as a team and everyone did a great job in this collaborative unit.
team work is the key
Bilingual Administrator Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: flexible working hours
A great place for students to finish their internship.
can learn a lot of useful knowledge as a office assistant, such as website design, arrange meeting and filing,etc.
great workplace
Environmental Project Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
engaged in many different projects and provided day-to-day services to project owners by being the point of contact for many different contractors and third party companies.
Very casual work enviornmentn which was nice and helpfull
Accident and Insurance Expeditor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Good work hours and location
Cons: Management and several co workers were less than desirable
Job duties were enjoyable. I liked the adjusters I dealt with on a daily basis. I enjoyed preparing various reports, and working with numbers to determine where and how most accidents and costs occurred.
Location was ideal for me as it was very close to the Beaches where I lived.
Industry