City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Enjoyable Workplace and beneficial work experience
Summer Wading Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  City Wide15 December 2017
A typical workday involves interacting with various members of the public with who you may develop long-lasting relationships with. Skills learned are customer service, problem-solving and compliance with policies and guidelines.
Recreation Worker
Program Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2017
I enjoyed the work. I left the city once long time ago. DO NOT EVERY LEAVE you will loose all your seniority hours you have earned. It can be great place work but also not. Just depends on were what unit you apart of.
Pros
Lots shifts
Cons
Takes long time to get certain training's, hard to move upwards within the organization
Carpenter
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2017
great outdoor work . Refinishing the boardwalk along the Lake shore. good ppl tp work with. Most enjoyable aspect of the job was being able to help the public with their needs .
Productive and flexible.
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
I have worked for the city for three years now and I love it as a part-time worker because you can choose shifts based on your schedule. Helps make money on the side, however for full time employees it is more difficult.
Productive and fun workplace
Facility In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2017
Days are always different. Different tasks to handle. Everyone is friendly and approachable. I have learned to adapt to every situation and person in order to communicate with others and tackle certain tasks.
Benefits
Cons
Shift work
Not fully happy
Weight room staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2017
It is good to work for City of Toronto if have full time positions. If have part time positions then your pay can easily get cut and/or lose your position.
I personally enjoyed working for City of Toronto in Community center for 20 years. I enjoyed helping people who needed City's help and found many good friends in doing it.
I will support my City's Community centers but will not work for them since after 20 years of experience they decided to bring down my pay rate to only 30 cents over minimum wage. Yes, that is true!
Pros
Get chance to help less fortunate people
Cons
Not treated fare
productive and fun place to work with kids
Children Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2017
I really enjoy working with the city of Toronto, it is flexible, pays well and is very attentive to the needs of the employer. I learned different ways to deal with people and children, and strengthened my leadership skills, I have more confidence with talking to people of the public and expressing myself. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are bringing the community together by being involved in the kids lives outside of the home.
It was a good experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2017
Volunteering for the city of Toronto was a great experience. I got to learn a lot of new things and met many different people. Overall I'd say working their is really fun and worth it.
Pros
Lunch breaks, ends early in the afternon
Cons
early start time
Full time vs. Part time
Support C (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 November 2017
Working for the City of Toronto can be a grand career advancement, IF you are FULL TIME.

Being Full Time gives you all the perks

-Benefits
-Vacation
-Pension
- Great salary!

But, obtaining full time is the hard part. Screening, testing, interviewing is over whelming and confusing... for most full time positions they just transfer and move around the full timers. so your stuck being a part timer which means

- Working evening and weekends
- minimum wage
- no benefits
- no vacation time
Employees are not valued
FOOD SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2017
Very unhappy working here.Preferential treatment shown
to some. Management never listens to employee concerns. will never apply my skills here again.
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
Very tense environment

Want to know more about City of Toronto?

Ask a question
A fun workplace.
Park and rec (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2017
A real nice working environment. Management knows how to treat worker with respect. Wasn't a well paying job at the time I was employed. Easy to make new friends and always meeting new people.
Pros
A great place to work
Cons
Wage
Caring and fun people to work with
Heavy Duty Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Meet a lot of good people with common interest, providing care to elderly and the vulnerable. However, it is not easy to get a full time position in this industry.
Supportive and Progressive work environment
Student Public Health Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
I learnt a lot on how to work with the public with regards to public health inspection. The work environment was quiet friendly and supportive. The place values strong work ethics and professionalism.
Depends completely on role.
Administrative & Customer Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2017
With the City of Toronto having many various departments and divisions, there are many positions in roles within the company. Based on my experience, the City of Toronto can be a great employer. However, career advancement is very limited.
Fun and relax environment
Administrative Assistant & Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2017
There is no harsh dress code and can usually just wear comfortable clothing. Dealing with a lot of the public so have to have a smile on your face, but patrons are using happy
Average Place to work
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Metro hall23 October 2017
Depending on the division you were in and the culture it can be good place to work. It all depends on the culture and stress levels in the area you are working in.
amazing
Water Maintenance Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2017
My job was amazing i learned a lot i took it upon myself on taking more and more courses too advance in the company management came up the ranks so they actually knew the job and also if we didn't know a certain job they would actually help us solve the problem
Pros
mangement worked together with the employee's hands on
Cons
too many shif't's disrupted our personnel life
Seasonal employee
Administrative Assistant/Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2017
- The job is more to gain experience about working with the City than having a career. If you are a student in high school or university, it is a great place to work to gain experience in municipal workplace. But pay is very low, very little to no immediate advancement, and there are far and few jobs between peak seasons.
Teaching kids basic of Arts
Specialty Arts Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2017
Great work environment teaching campers the basics of arts and crafts. You get assigned to a certain age group each session and there is flexibility in what you can teach and demonstrate.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Loong Hours and demanding emotionally
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2017
well organized and looks after staff very well. As staff, you are valued by management and protected by them well. Was a pleasure to work for the city & would do it again in a heart beat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3