City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Dealing with people and providing customer service
Toronto Police Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: working outdoors in summer
Cons: bad weather, no public in attendance
enjoyed working outdoors and being of assistance to people.
I enjoyed working with a team and ensuring the safety of the public.
A Good Experience Overall
Tae Kwon Do Instructor (Part-time) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: reasonable hours and fun. hourly wage is available to the public
Cons: tiring
I work part-time and I appreciate the support from Management to ensure that TKD is encouraged.

I have always had full classes - keeping it challenging

Overall, I found unrealistic expectation of instructors and a club environment is much more conducive to learning.
good secure work environment. fresh air and meeting people
emergencey inspector water/wastewater (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flexible work conditions
Cons: midnight shift
the most enjoyable part of the job was driving around the city of Toronto, and working with a great group!. answering emergency and non emergency calls to resolve issues for citizens and seeing their happy satisfied smiles was very rewarding.
Very good place to work
Software and Infrastructure Tester (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2015
I really loved to work there
management is great
team is very nice
The Voting Day October 27
accessibility Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2014
Pros: greeting people and helping out
Cons: no free lunch or free time was always busy.
It was a day that every citizen in Toronto needed to voted on which mayor they chose. I, on the other hand had various duties. There was many multicultural people that did not understand what the MDRO was explaining to them. Therefore, I spoke French and Italian to them to explain what they have to do . The MDRO appreciated my well communication skills and it was helpful that I know three languages. I also helped the hard of hearing people, I learned how to do sign language because I took an after school club learning the alphabet in sign language and on that day it absolutely helped me through the say. When it got very bus around 6pm I held the door open for the people to come in and explained to them to be prepared when they need to vote. When it was closing time I helped clean up kept everything organized I helped count the votes brought down the signs, and locked the doors so nobody came in. There were some people that were complaining but I kept them calm and helped them out and they thanked me at the end when they finished voting.
Very political but exciting and challenging position with changing Council and Mayors
Manager, Employee and Labour Relations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: generous benefit package and pension plan
Cons: long hours
I love human resources and, in particular, labour relations. Therefore, the City was a great place to rise to never ending challenges. This was especially true during amalgamation.

The work atmosphere changes quite often as senior management often have conflicting human resources philosophies from their predecessors and that sometimes required a 180 degree change in thinking on the part of managers.

The hardest part of the job was the enormous amounts of time that I was away from my family. Sometimes living in downtown hotels for months at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were helping and making a difference for the residents of Toronto, management and operations as well as making the City as good a work place for line staff as possible.
McDonalds...
Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches if you're slick.
Absolutely most stressful job on the earth. Low pay and bad management result in a stressful work environment.

Good co-workers, they're all dieing with you at work so it's a team thing.
great work environment
Elections Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
great work environment election work. lifting, assembly work.
Fun workplace
Part Time Aquatic Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
Easy job, free movies. Very sad the company went under. You got to work both on your own and with other people. You can do your own thing as long as it's appropriate and your work gets done. I miss this job.
Fun and safe place to grow
Preschool teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2014
The City is a great place to begin and the people are really friendly for the most part. It is a great part time gig for students in school full time.
Government job, with benefits and medium paced work
Engineering Technologist/Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Changes and advancement take time to be seen. Large mega City with many departments.
Exciting place to be
Volunteer Services Helped (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
This place really stands out, all of the youth who go here are really happy to have somewhere to go. It was great playing all different types if games and sport activities every week with them.
Good Department to work and grow
Provincial Offences Officer/By-laws Inspector (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benifits
Cons: deal with angry public while serving tickets
If you love law enforcement without guns, this is the job for you.
Welcoming enjoyable workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good coworkers, good management, good benefits.
Cons: dealing with disgruntled employees.
A typical day at work was rather simple while working as a rink guard. I would come into work make sure the workplace was clean and respectable. Than, I would put on my safety equipment and get on the ice. Once I was on the ice I would do my rounds ensuring that everyone had the proper equipment on and that they were following city of Toronto mandated instructions. During this job I learned several things, I learned the importance of creative problem solving (while dealing with disgruntled customers ), as well as the importance of being energetic and warm in an effort to promote a safe environment for patrons. One of the best part of the jobs were my co-workers, I got along with every single one of my co-workers including any management I worked with. I was specifically pleased with the management as I had heard so many horror stories and was expecting the worse but in reality I got a very reasonable staff of managers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with patrons who were not happy, some times I felt as if customers had valid arguments but, according to the city of Toronto they were wrong. Thus, I had to side with the City as that was my job and that's what I signed up for. The most enjoyable part of my job was constantly being outside and interacting with the lovely people of my community.
LARGEST LONG TERM CARE IN THE CITY
FOOD SERVICES WORKER (Former Employee), TORONTO, ONTARIOSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: inefficient and lack lustre management
GOOD PLACE TO WORK, VERY ENTHUSIASTIC CO-WORKERS, LEARNED A LOT WORKING AT THIS PLACE.

A PLACE TO GIVE RESPECT, DIGNITY AND CARE TO RESIDENTS.

MANAGEMENT GIVES NO RESPECT TO ITS EMPLOYEES, TREATS THEM AS GARBAGE, NO OPEN DOOR POLICY, A SENSE OF RACISM STILL EXISTS.
Great hands-on experience in which various skills are attained on a daily basis
Child Care Aide (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: working and playing with children on a daily basis.
Cons: feeling as though needs of clients are not being met.
Time management is one key aspect of work that I have learned. On a daily basis, strict schedules are followed and it is important to follow these schedules especially when working with vulnerable populations. My coworkers are great team members and everyone has the same mind state when it comes to teamwork. Teamwork is not only working for the team but also with parents and children. The hardest part of this job I would say is feeling as though the needs are not being met for children and when this happens, all opportunities are taken to fulfill this need. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to interact with various personalities and people from different walks of life. This job allows for me to learn about diverse backgrounds in a non-judgmental and professional manner.
N/A
Senior Finance and Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Very good employer, slow moving due to many regulations.
budget planning and finance processes
Productive workplace
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto. ONSeptember 8, 2014
Great organization, great pay and benefits, but the work environment is not very flexible
Fun enjoyable job
Rink Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: not enough hours
Cleaning and maintaining the building. Learned a lot about electrical and refrigeration. Most enjoyable part of the job was the extra ice time to skate.
OFFICE WORK
DO MY BEST WOULD I GET A CALL (Former Employee), TORONTOAugust 30, 2014
Pros: office work
IT IS KNOT EASY TO GET A JOB IN THE GOVERNMENT THEY WONT LET YOU IN IT COULD BE SOME ONE DREAM BUT THE OTHER PARTY WONT UNDER STAND .

I AM A CLEANER BUT I WOULD LIKE THEM TO GIVE ME A TRY TO WORK IN A OFFICE .I DONT THINK THAT WOULD HAPPEN IF IT DOES I WOULD BE SUPRISED

About City of Toronto

Canada’s largest and most multicultural city, Toronto is often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Meeting – Read more