City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Great place to have a big impact on the lives of the people living in Toronto
Special Projects - Facility Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
ICity ofToronto is a place to work for people who want to have an impact on the lives of people living there. I worked on many projects: community centers, employment places, civic centers, daycares and senior homes, public health and historical buildings. I walked under the City in most of the pipes including intakes under the lake, I flew planes taking aerial photos and climbed in trenches inspecting water main construction.
Pros
working on many interesting projects and to see them used
Cons
very demanding and busy
sable work and advancement
Stationary Engineer operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Worked there 36 years,lots of available overtime and benefits A very good pension after 35 years of service, weather on days or sift work.Lots of available training and advancement if wanted. Also had a strong union to back the employees. Transferring from department was also possible.
Pros
Benefits and pesion
Cons
Shift work
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers
Fun workplace with great staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
I've enjoyed working with the city and interacting with staff and clientele. A typical day at work may consist of filig, interacting with clients, producing cheques,drug cards eye glass vouchers, and attending/forwarding calls to workers. I've learned how to work at a quick pace, and how to stay organized.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
some clients may be agitated
Fun place to work and the people are generally friendly
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
A typical day at work is pretty interesting and it is a great way to meet different people. It is a good way to increase customer service skills, but it can get repetitive.
Pros
Meet so many people
Cons
Doing the same thing every day
Great PLace
Support Assistant C (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
People, salary, environment are fantastic.
it is a good company if you look at it from the corporate site

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Great job with oppertunity to advance.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
Working with the city was a great overall experience. They truly care about their employee's and make it easy to work for them. This job required a lot of program planning, event coordination, patience, and networking skills to succeed in.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
Good start up job
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2016
Very easy and manageable job, it's a great social environment. The staff and the community is very friendly.

Easy to get along with parents and kids as long as you know the surrounding.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Some kids aren't easy to work with, but managable!
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ON30 October 2016
City of Toronto has great benefits for employees. However there is not much room for transitioning to other departments for non-union staff as union staff keep getting priorities over others and room for growth isn't very good.
Friendly and cooperative environment with amazing managment and staff
Recreation Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
I have enjoyed working for the city of Toronto for the past thirteen years as a Customer Service Representative. I have received a great amount of knowledge thats has helped me gain the confidence I have in myself as a front desk receptionist and i am very appreciative of the extensive support and training I have recieved.
Pros
Great relationships
Cons
difficult to get permanency
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
Poor work experience
Project Manager/Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Poor work experience. No proper staff issue resolution.
Work here was rife with political undertones and poor communication skills by management. Work issues could have been better resolved.
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling Acres22 June 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Not very stressful
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
The job is very easy and if you are good at talking with people and de-escalating some situations this job is for you. It is not very engaging and a lot of the time you are just sitting there or skating in circles.
What you make it
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Paid well and on time, typical benefits/drawbacks of working for the city/in a union. Frequently rotated while guarding, given a short prep period before an instructing shift.
Loved teaching the youth basketball skills
Drop-In Basketball (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2016
Connected to the youth who were apart of the program & taught them basketball skills that would help them get prepared for big tournaments & games
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.

4.3