City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun Place to work at and you're always busy.
Rink Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Get to do what you love and skating is a form of exercise!
Cons: Sometimes gets too cold to stay outside for long hours
Working with the City of Toronto is great! You are able to do something you love and can use that as a form of exercise. Sometimes it gets very cold but that's okay, simple solution is to go inside, make a quick tea and warm up. Usually I would get there about 5-10 minutes earlier then I would put all my proper equipment on which includes; CSA approved helmet, skates, whistle, fanny pack full of first aid products and luminescent vest. At first I was nervous because I was young and not confident but then I gained confidence and learned that I was great with talking to people and great with helping them in anyway possible. Unfortunately, in the past year (almost 2) my managers have changed but they were both very nice people to work with. The co-workers are great because everyone is around the same age. Some new young workers come so I get to share my knowledge and experience with them and answer an questions they have and make sure they don't get as nervous as me when I first started.
Welcoming enjoyable workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good coworkers, good management, good benefits.
Cons: dealing with disgruntled employees.
A typical day at work was rather simple while working as a rink guard. I would come into work make sure the workplace was clean and respectable. Than, I would put on my safety equipment and get on the ice. Once I was on the ice I would do my rounds ensuring that everyone had the proper equipment on and that they were following city of Toronto mandated instructions. During this job I learned several things, I learned the importance of creative problem solving (while dealing with disgruntled customers ), as well as the importance of being energetic and warm in an effort to promote a safe environment for patrons. One of the best part of the jobs were my co-workers, I got along with every single one of my co-workers including any management I worked with. I was specifically pleased with the management as I had heard so many horror stories and was expecting the worse but in reality I got a very reasonable staff of managers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with patrons who were not happy, some times I felt as if customers had valid arguments but, according to the city of Toronto they were wrong. Thus, I had to side with the City as that was my job and that's what I signed up for. The most enjoyable part of my job was constantly being outside and interacting with the lovely people of my community.
The Voting Day October 27
accessibility Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2014
Pros: greeting people and helping out
Cons: no free lunch or free time was always busy.
It was a day that every citizen in Toronto needed to voted on which mayor they chose. I, on the other hand had various duties. There was many multicultural people that did not understand what the MDRO was explaining to them. Therefore, I spoke French and Italian to them to explain what they have to do . The MDRO appreciated my well communication skills and it was helpful that I know three languages. I also helped the hard of hearing people, I learned how to do sign language because I took an after school club learning the alphabet in sign language and on that day it absolutely helped me through the say. When it got very bus around 6pm I held the door open for the people to come in and explained to them to be prepared when they need to vote. When it was closing time I helped clean up kept everything organized I helped count the votes brought down the signs, and locked the doors so nobody came in. There were some people that were complaining but I kept them calm and helped them out and they thanked me at the end when they finished voting.
challenging but rewarding work environment
Day care and Recreational Program Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2014
Under the direction of qualified staff, assists in the supervision of infants, children, and youth
Supervise and participate in play with children of all ages during outdoor activities such as swimming, baseball, hockey, etc
Assists in the set up of creative materials for indoor activity. Supervises children participating in games, arts and crafts and music
Under the direction of qualified staff engages children in age appropriate activities to build literacy, resiliency, social skills and communication
Assists children in routine procedures such as eating lunch and snacks, putting on winter clothing, etc
Assists on field trip excursions, which may include the use of public transportation
Performs emergency or unplanned supervised duties which must be considered within the job function
Assists in checking of toys and equipment used in activities to ensure safe functioning
Assists in documenting attendance of children, completing forms, reports, and communication logs as necessary
Provides input in activities planned and assists with promoting participation
Assists with safety and well being of children by adhering to Occupational Health and Safety Act, Day Nurseries Act, Child and Family Services Act
Assist children in integrating into the hostel environment
Attend staff meetings as required
Just another Summer Day
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day at work as a wading pool attendant was fun but extremely tiring. I had to be up before everyone to make sure that the pool was open for the kids for them to swim. The summer I did work for the city of Toronto, it was extremely hot. But the children made it all worth it, we played games in the water such as basketball, tag, marco polo. The parents really appreciated the fact that I showed interest in playing with their children and making sure that they had themselves a good time. Working for the city of Toronto, i learned how to open pools, I also learned a lot of rules about the pool that I never knew before. My Co-workers and supervisor were really nice, we used to plan games together and then ask the kids which games they wanted to play. The hardest part about the job was being out in the sun everyday with no shade for more than 5 hours. The most enjoyable part about the job was just being able to put a smile on some of these kids' faces, especially the kids that were the only children in their families that only came with their parents. We definitely made sure they had fun.
Frequent employment training and life skills developments
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: room to learn and grow in the filed.
Cons: can be very frustrating enviroment. expectations are very high.
Typical day you welcome parents and children in the early morning begining at 7:00am. Care for children teaching life skills throughout the day as required. Management is very strict with ground rules. However, they can be fun and outgoing. Your co-workers are fun to work with. They have the ability to work under stress with a smile on their faces despite having a difficult day. The hardest part is saying goodbye to children who are graduating to another level or leaving the centre permanently. Also seeing a child taken away by child protective services. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children grow up right before your eyes from infants to teenagers, and sometimes young adults returning with their own bundle of joy for you to care for them.
We provide funding for seniors and people with disabilities so they can continue to live in their homes independently.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: too many hours
Assisting seniors and persons with disabilities to continue living in their homes is priority. My office offers federal/provincial funding for lower-income seniors and persons with disabilities who wish to make health and safety repairs to their homes.

Answer phone calls/emails/front desk inquiries. Assess elgibility of requests from constituents for our program. Process paperwork for funding approval and issuing of funding..

Maintain data base on funding and provide reports to theCity of Toronto and Ministry.

I work with four Program Officers and assist them with the applications at different stages of the funding process.

Hardest part of my job is letting people know they are NOT eligible for our programs because of income, repair/modification item or their property value is too high.

Helping a senior/person with disability live in their own homes independently.

Great hands-on experience in which various skills are attained on a daily basis
Child Care Aide (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: working and playing with children on a daily basis.
Cons: feeling as though needs of clients are not being met.
Time management is one key aspect of work that I have learned. On a daily basis, strict schedules are followed and it is important to follow these schedules especially when working with vulnerable populations. My coworkers are great team members and everyone has the same mind state when it comes to teamwork. Teamwork is not only working for the team but also with parents and children. The hardest part of this job I would say is feeling as though the needs are not being met for children and when this happens, all opportunities are taken to fulfill this need. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to interact with various personalities and people from different walks of life. This job allows for me to learn about diverse backgrounds in a non-judgmental and professional manner.
Very political but exciting and challenging position with changing Council and Mayors
Manager, Employee and Labour Relations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: generous benefit package and pension plan
Cons: long hours
I love human resources and, in particular, labour relations. Therefore, the City was a great place to rise to never ending challenges. This was especially true during amalgamation.

The work atmosphere changes quite often as senior management often have conflicting human resources philosophies from their predecessors and that sometimes required a 180 degree change in thinking on the part of managers.

The hardest part of the job was the enormous amounts of time that I was away from my family. Sometimes living in downtown hotels for months at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were helping and making a difference for the residents of Toronto, management and operations as well as making the City as good a work place for line staff as possible.
Fun workplace with a swimming pool
Lifeguard and Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: great pay for a student (above minimum wage)
A typical day at work consisted of interacting with many patrons and assuring their safety at the pool. I have learned to communicate effectively with different types of people as we get a lot of people coming into the pool each and everyday. I also learned to work well with little kids as I had to teach them. The management was great as I was never confused as to who I reported to. I enjoy spending time with my co-workers as we were all similar in age (students) and we would have a lot to talk about during break times. The hardest part of the job is when a patron gives you a hard time because you have to always keep your calm even when you know they are wrong.
It's a very warm, inviting and productive place to work.
Part-time Administrator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2012
I enjoy the City of Toronto because the day allows for a variety. I have learned that putting customers first (in this case families first) is absolutely essential to ensuring they have what they need.

The management team is always there to help and answer any questions and provide other opportunities for growth.

My co-workers are friendly and are team players so that makes it easy to get along.

The hardest part is dealing with residents who have such severe dementia for instance they're unable to effectively stay what they desire and I'm unfortunately unable to help like I wish.

The most enjoyable is making the residents who wish to share their life story, smile and feel loved.
Committed to deliver professional service to the general public and stakeholders.
Community Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: the various number of people you meet and have the opportunity to work with.
Cons: not enough hours in a day to help those who need it.
A typical day involves working with the general public, staff, contract workers and politicians on various projects and activities. The hardest part of the job is dealing with union grievances and scheduling due to continued budget cut backs and reduced budgets.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with capital project staff, community organizations and members of the public to keep them healthy and active with what ever activities they are involved with.

In addition, assisting the various community cultural organizations and associations in acquiring space and/or information on accessing city services and facilities.
Balance of work and family managable
Urban Development (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: work isn't as fulfilling as i would like.
Face to face customer service each day dealing with public and clients alike.
Meeting weekly deadlines and continuously under pressure with two week cycle. I've learned business on both sides of the counter and have great skills to deal with tempers, concerns either real or not.

Co-workers can make the day enjoyable, I get along with my co-workers as they can help in my success.

The most enjoyable part of my week is when someone offers me a sincere thank you, that I made a difference and that my professional advice and mannerism made their decision clearer.
Great place to gain some experience independently and as part of a team
Commander Arena (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, independent, experience working as a team player
Cons: weather conditions, outdoor work, heavy loads
Working for the city can be pretty simple. People are just meant to follow their assigned tasks and complete them to the best of their abilities. Through working for the city, ive learnt quite a few skills such as organization, time management, team skills, communication skills and efficiency. The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to complete a greater amount of work on my own, when there was no team present. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it teaches individuals essential skills to function on their own and as a member of a team. It was truly some great experience learned.
Productive Job Good people to work with
Solid Waste Driver Loader (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: 4 days a week i work
Cons: longs hours sometimes
I check my truck and do my circle check, after that I start on my map, we switch with my partner at least half an hour each time, our supervisor is good he trust we can finish the map so he doesnt bother us. The hard part is when sometimes furniture is wet and is really heavy so both of us have to lift at the same time and sometimes that takes alot of time from work. The most enjoyable part of my job is not only do I only work 4 days but if you push yourself in the day, you finish quicker and that means get home sooner.
Diversed workforce
Labour Relations/Human Rights Assistant (Student) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: great labour relations department with supportive mentors
Reports to the Labour Relations Manager and contributes to the goals and objectives of the City of Toronto
• Assists the Labour Relations Consultants with ongoing administrative including supporting with the gathering of information to prepare grievance files, arbitration cases for appropriate proceedings and the interpretation of CUPE Local 416 and 79 Collective Agreements
• Prepares statistical reports using the Grievance Tracking System (GTS) of types and frequency of actions taken concerning grievances, arbitration, mediation, and related labour relations activities to identify problem areas
• Researches and conducts relevant data to support City of Toronto’s Progress Report on Equity, Diversity and Human Rights (EDHR) Achievements
The City of Toronto is a professional, friendly, safe and clean environment to work and I enjoy working with them
Mail Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
Pros: The work is consistant, the people are enjoyable to work with, the environment is clean and safe
Cons: Been working 5 years and am unable to get Full Time
There is so much to say.

The management is fair and consistently trying to improve quality and quantity of work

Each day, you come to work and leave work at work.

The people who work there are very nice.

The hardest part of my day is pushing my limits and striving to achieve perfection as well as increasing my workload

The most enjoyable part of my day is when I achieve my goals I set out for myself on a daily basis based on workload
A Day on the floor of the pool.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
Pros: Easy to work with co-workers
Cons: Long Boring Hours of doing nothing.
I would talk to some of my co-workers and see how they were. Learn that we need to work together as a team to get the job done neatly and efficiently. The boss or in-charge was always polite, yet affirmative to get any job done affectively. The hardest part of the job was watching the pool and observing people swim, which is usually just really boring, and difficult to stay focused on after a while. That's why the best part was the break that we were able to get sometimes in-between watching the pool.
Productive and Excellent Management
Summer Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefit
Cons: contract work
The job required me to use my own judgement in many cases as I was not always supervised. However, there was always someone available to assist me if needed. I was able to work on my own pace as long as I met deadlines. The job consisted of answering phone and email inquiries. Attention to details was very important to all aspect of the job.
The most difficult part of the job was making sure that all calls, regarding discrepencies with City of Toronto buildings, were accurately recorded and dealt with on the same day.
Things are looking way up...
Financial and Management Consultant (Former Employee), City HallJune 13, 2014
Pros: new leadership
Cons: past practices
After a review two years ago it is good to see that the City of Toronto Fleet Department has finally hired a high caliber Division Head who is the top in his field. As the largest City in Canada and with the new strong leadership in Fleet it is surely to become "the place to work" in the city of Toronto.

If you want a career in fleet management or if you want to gain excellent experience in a variety of areas you will work hard and you will see changes but it will not be a wasted opportunity.

The best part of the job is the benefits and the people
Industry