City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling AcresJune 22, 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
amazing
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
working with the city was great and i am still doing it because i love working with them and it is a fun job to do. A typical day at work would be arriving then setting up all the policy and procedure signs that the City of Toronto has. Then I would have to make sure that the ice is in good condition for the patriants to skate on. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to skate the entire time and getting to interact with people while we work. My co-workers are all amazing people and i love working with them we all have loads of fun working together.
Pros
only working weekends
Cons
more money for such little hours
Why I love being a Swim Instructor/Lifeguard
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoy my job incredibly! You have flexible hours and the work load is very light. Its easy and every other co-worker is your friend. The tough parts of work are keeping up with your qualifications, but luckily your CRP can help you remember when things expire. Sometimes shifts may start at 5am which are hard to wake up for. The most enjoyable part of working as an instructor is getting complimented by parents and how much you mean to their kids.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Early morning shifts
The money and benefits are a amazing !
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I worked in Parks and Recreation department for 4 seasons then I quit - I could not stand the winey spoiled union (full-time) workers for another season. The pay and benefits are more then most of us will ever see but the workers complain all the time and most are very lazy. The work is great, management is pretty good - they are all lucky to be working there.
Pros
Wages & benefits
Cons
Spoiled unionized workers
productive and fun work enviroment with great and outstanding co workers.
Volunteer Community Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 8, 2016
A very welcoming and home feeling like work environment. with friendly and productive co workers. fun enjoying work environment.
Pros
stay fit by channeling energy into movement
Cons
no real good benifits to use
Good
Skate Marshall (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
For the Instructional Skating I had learned how to teach children how to skate. The hardest part was when doing report cards for the children because I always liked the children that I had in my group and it was hard for me to give my report to a parent that their child has not passed the level.
City Of Toronto
Children Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
The most enjoyable day at work is attending work and seeing my participate face.Being able to processed with my program & interacting with children, co workers and care giver on a high warm welcome volume allows me to make room for improvments
Pros
Co workers and management
Cons
leaving at the end of my shift
fast paced environment, workers who are passionate
Assistant to Community development project (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
working with the city of Toronto has been a very fast paced environment, with meetings every week with different groups and a lot of dynamic scheduling processes. when working with the city of Toronto you see the dynamics in which they work and how passionate they all are with their job. its a great environment
The City of Toronto is a professional, friendly, safe and clean environment to work and I enjoy working with them
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
There is so much to say.

The management is fair and consistently trying to improve quality and quantity of work

Each day, you come to work and leave work at work.

The people who work there are very nice.

The hardest part of my day is pushing my limits and striving to achieve perfection as well as increasing my workload

The most enjoyable part of my day is when I achieve my goals I set out for myself on a daily basis based on workload
Pros
The work is consistant, the people are enjoyable to work with, the environment is clean and safe
Cons
Been working 5 years and am unable to get Full Time
Assistant Planner (Current Employee) –  TorontoApril 15, 2016
Amazing work environment with great opportunities for career advancement. The management is helpful and skilled to assist you in the career progression. Working with the biggest City in Canada allows you to learn skills in a fast paced work environment.
Grate employer
Work Term Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
In this work term, I paticipated in the daily work of Optimized Maintenance Unit in Toronto Water. I gained experience in facility management and project scheduling. I also benfited from the internal training system on various courses.
Wonderful place to work and learn
Front-end Web Developer (Former Employee) –  55 John Street, TorontoApril 1, 2016
I have gained valuable lifetime experiences while obtaining the comprehensive understanding of the technical and communicational skills.

A friendly and enthusiasm environment with great managers and team members.
Fun
Event coordinator/ camp leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
I work summer camp for 2 weeks in july and 1 week in August.
- I am a pre school camp leader
- Learned how to be patient with kids
- Get along with all of my co workers
- I have fun everyday and everydays different.
Pros
Trips
Cons
not enough lunch time
productive and fun - gaming and tv room
Support Assistant B (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
typical day - taking calls and assisting customers with their travel plans

management and co-workers- friendly and helpful

hardest part of the job - extreme service levels

most enjoyable - the feeling of successfully planning someone's holiday
Pros
free tickets
Cons
Love the aspect of meeting new clients and working in different locations. Choose and agree to schedule.... active job
Fitness Instructor/Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
I teach classes in different locations, I have learnt you can never make everyone happy in broad classes... I don't see co-workers, I see different staff all the time.

Hardest part of the job the long travel time and distance ... no regular hours.

I do what I love and love what I do especially dealing with the public which brings the customer service to an excellent level.
Pros
The flex hours
Cons
No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor
Excellent work atmosphere as everyone had a positive attitude.
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
In a typical day I learned how to manage time very well as I had a strict schedule that I had to stick to. Co-workers were very friendly, and management gave you room to work on your own.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Physically tough (sometimes)
Great Place to Start and Finish, not a great place for Job Security
Stu dentInte rn (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
The benefits of a union pay grade at the municipality is why the positions are so competitive and highly sough after. But work is baseline and boring.
Fun and inclusive workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
i worked as a rink guard serving the general public. It was a very fun job as i was able to interact with different people every day. my coworkers were incredibly nice and very helpful.
Pros
good pay
Cons
working in the cold
Good workplace
After-school Recreation Care: Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- Positive work environment
- Opportunities for growth
- Flexible hours
- Variety of positions available
- Opportunities to receive various beneficial trainings and certifications
The foundation for my communication and PR skills
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2015
Working as a lifeguard and swim instructor provided me insight into the operation of recreational programming in the city. While there is a lot of bureaucracy and politics at the management level, it is a great first job and helped develop my communication, problem-solving, time-management and organizational skills.

4.3