City of Toronto

City of Toronto Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great work environment
Elections Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
great work environment election work. lifting, assembly work.
Fun workplace
Part Time Aquatic Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
Easy job, free movies. Very sad the company went under. You got to work both on your own and with other people. You can do your own thing as long as it's appropriate and your work gets done. I miss this job.
Fun and safe place to grow
Preschool teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2014
The City is a great place to begin and the people are really friendly for the most part. It is a great part time gig for students in school full time.
Government job, with benefits and medium paced work
Engineering Technologist/Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Changes and advancement take time to be seen. Large mega City with many departments.
Exciting place to be
Volunteer Services Helped (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
This place really stands out, all of the youth who go here are really happy to have somewhere to go. It was great playing all different types if games and sport activities every week with them.
Good Department to work and grow
Provincial Offences Officer/By-laws Inspector (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benifits
Cons: deal with angry public while serving tickets
If you love law enforcement without guns, this is the job for you.
Welcoming enjoyable workplace
Rink Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good coworkers, good management, good benefits.
Cons: dealing with disgruntled employees.
A typical day at work was rather simple while working as a rink guard. I would come into work make sure the workplace was clean and respectable. Than, I would put on my safety equipment and get on the ice. Once I was on the ice I would do my rounds ensuring that everyone had the proper equipment on and that they were following city of Toronto mandated – more... instructions. During this job I learned several things, I learned the importance of creative problem solving (while dealing with disgruntled customers ), as well as the importance of being energetic and warm in an effort to promote a safe environment for patrons. One of the best part of the jobs were my co-workers, I got along with every single one of my co-workers including any management I worked with. I was specifically pleased with the management as I had heard so many horror stories and was expecting the worse but in reality I got a very reasonable staff of managers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with patrons who were not happy, some times I felt as if customers had valid arguments but, according to the city of Toronto they were wrong. Thus, I had to side with the City as that was my job and that's what I signed up for. The most enjoyable part of my job was constantly being outside and interacting with the lovely people of my community. – less
LARGEST LONG TERM CARE IN THE CITY
FOOD SERVICES WORKER (Former Employee), TORONTO, ONTARIOSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: inefficient and lack lustre management
GOOD PLACE TO WORK, VERY ENTHUSIASTIC CO-WORKERS, LEARNED A LOT WORKING AT THIS PLACE.

A PLACE TO GIVE RESPECT, DIGNITY AND CARE TO RESIDENTS.

MANAGEMENT GIVES NO RESPECT TO ITS EMPLOYEES, TREATS THEM AS GARBAGE, NO OPEN DOOR POLICY, A SENSE OF RACISM STILL EXISTS.
Great hands-on experience in which various skills are attained on a daily basis
Child Care Aide (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: working and playing with children on a daily basis.
Cons: feeling as though needs of clients are not being met.
Time management is one key aspect of work that I have learned. On a daily basis, strict schedules are followed and it is important to follow these schedules especially when working with vulnerable populations. My coworkers are great team members and everyone has the same mind state when it comes to teamwork. Teamwork is not only working for the team – more... but also with parents and children. The hardest part of this job I would say is feeling as though the needs are not being met for children and when this happens, all opportunities are taken to fulfill this need. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to interact with various personalities and people from different walks of life. This job allows for me to learn about diverse backgrounds in a non-judgmental and professional manner. – less
N/A
Senior Finance and Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Very good employer, slow moving due to many regulations.
budget planning and finance processes
Productive workplace
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto. ONSeptember 8, 2014
Great organization, great pay and benefits, but the work environment is not very flexible
Fun enjoyable job
Rink Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: not enough hours
Cleaning and maintaining the building. Learned a lot about electrical and refrigeration. Most enjoyable part of the job was the extra ice time to skate.
OFFICE WORK
DO MY BEST WOULD I GET A CALL (Former Employee), TORONTOAugust 30, 2014
Pros: office work
IT IS KNOT EASY TO GET A JOB IN THE GOVERNMENT THEY WONT LET YOU IN IT COULD BE SOME ONE DREAM BUT THE OTHER PARTY WONT UNDER STAND .

I AM A CLEANER BUT I WOULD LIKE THEM TO GIVE ME A TRY TO WORK IN A OFFICE .I DONT THINK THAT WOULD HAPPEN IF IT DOES I WOULD BE SUPRISED
Productive and Excellent Management
Summer Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefit
Cons: contract work
The job required me to use my own judgement in many cases as I was not always supervised. However, there was always someone available to assist me if needed. I was able to work on my own pace as long as I met deadlines. The job consisted of answering phone and email inquiries. Attention to details was very important to all aspect of the job.
The most – more... difficult part of the job was making sure that all calls, regarding discrepencies with City of Toronto buildings, were accurately recorded and dealt with on the same day. – less
challenge work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2014
working at this company I find very rewarding work hard with long hours management could be better needs improvement I do think we should be paid more each day I learn new things and there is the reward when the residents are happy sometimes co workers can be a challenge when the day is over I look around I would say thanks for job well done
Diverse workplace with many opportunities
Senior Systems Integrator - Test and BI Lead (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2014
Pros: large organization with a lot of opportunities
Cons: a lot of red tape that hinders the agile nature of projects
There are two tiers of workers in the City of Toronto. Unionized and non-Unionized, it is to strike a balance while working in this organization that posesses the largest challenge. The management staff are very knowledgeable in the process but also play by the rules set out.
Great staff, very positive environment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2014
Though the office at our pool is small, the staff I worked with is amazing. We all get along very well and see each other outside of work. The best part of the job is when children and youth will ask us about how to become lifeguard. It is rewarding to know that the children swimming in the pool look up to the lifeguards as inspiration.
Awesome learning experience
Jr. Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2014
- SAP experience
- MS Excel practice
- Wonderful employees
- at times can be very busy
Its definitely different than the private sector
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: difficult for promotion
Great place to work however unionized environment makes it difficult to be promoted and move up.
Fun
CSR (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2014
It is an amazing place to work with great people and management

1 2 3 4 5

About City of Toronto

Canada’s largest and most multicultural city, Toronto is often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Meeting – Read more