City of Toronto Employee Reviews in Canada

The money and benefits are a amazing !
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I worked in Parks and Recreation department for 4 seasons then I quit - I could not stand the winey spoiled union (full-time) workers for another season. The pay and benefits are more then most of us will ever see but the workers complain all the time and most are very lazy. The work is great, management is pretty good - they are all lucky to be working there.
Pros
Wages & benefits
Cons
Spoiled unionized workers
Enjoyable Job
Parks Acting Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Great job with great pay and benefits.You do not take your work home with you so its great for balancing a family. It has amazing job security but it is hard for quick growth within the City of Toronto. Management has its good and bad apples like any company.
productive and fun - gaming and tv room
Support Assistant B (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
typical day - taking calls and assisting customers with their travel plans

management and co-workers- friendly and helpful

hardest part of the job - extreme service levels

most enjoyable - the feeling of successfully planning someone's holiday
Pros
free tickets
Cons
The City of Toronto is a professional, friendly, safe and clean environment to work and I enjoy working with them
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
There is so much to say.

The management is fair and consistently trying to improve quality and quantity of work

Each day, you come to work and leave work at work.

The people who work there are very nice.

The hardest part of my day is pushing my limits and striving to achieve perfection as well as increasing my workload

The most enjoyable part of my day is when I achieve my goals I set out for myself on a daily basis based on workload
Pros
The work is consistant, the people are enjoyable to work with, the environment is clean and safe
Cons
Been working 5 years and am unable to get Full Time
The foundation for my communication and PR skills
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2015
Working as a lifeguard and swim instructor provided me insight into the operation of recreational programming in the city. While there is a lot of bureaucracy and politics at the management level, it is a great first job and helped develop my communication, problem-solving, time-management and organizational skills.
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers
amazing
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
working with the city was great and i am still doing it because i love working with them and it is a fun job to do. A typical day at work would be arriving then setting up all the policy and procedure signs that the City of Toronto has. Then I would have to make sure that the ice is in good condition for the patriants to skate on. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to skate the entire time and getting to interact with people while we work. My co-workers are all amazing people and i love working with them we all have loads of fun working together.
Pros
only working weekends
Cons
more money for such little hours
Friendly and cooperative environment with amazing managment and staff
Recreation Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the city of Toronto for the past thirteen years as a Customer Service Representative. I have received a great amount of knowledge thats has helped me gain the confidence I have in myself as a front desk receptionist and i am very appreciative of the extensive support and training I have recieved.
Pros
Great relationships
Cons
difficult to get permanency
City Of Toronto
Children Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
The most enjoyable day at work is attending work and seeing my participate face.Being able to processed with my program & interacting with children, co workers and care giver on a high warm welcome volume allows me to make room for improvments
Pros
Co workers and management
Cons
leaving at the end of my shift
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling AcresJune 22, 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Great place to work for
Co-op, Transportation (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
excellent opportunity to learn,
safe work enviroument
friendly co-worker and management.
Decent salary even for entry level position.
Lots of union activities and support
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
Love the aspect of meeting new clients and working in different locations. Choose and agree to schedule.... active job
Fitness Instructor/Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
I teach classes in different locations, I have learnt you can never make everyone happy in broad classes... I don't see co-workers, I see different staff all the time.

Hardest part of the job the long travel time and distance ... no regular hours.

I do what I love and love what I do especially dealing with the public which brings the customer service to an excellent level.
Pros
The flex hours
Cons
No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
Why I love being a Swim Instructor/Lifeguard
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoy my job incredibly! You have flexible hours and the work load is very light. Its easy and every other co-worker is your friend. The tough parts of work are keeping up with your qualifications, but luckily your CRP can help you remember when things expire. Sometimes shifts may start at 5am which are hard to wake up for. The most enjoyable part of working as an instructor is getting complimented by parents and how much you mean to their kids.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Early morning shifts
Excellent work atmosphere as everyone had a positive attitude.
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
In a typical day I learned how to manage time very well as I had a strict schedule that I had to stick to. Co-workers were very friendly, and management gave you room to work on your own.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Physically tough (sometimes)
Government service of high calibre
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Productive workplace serving Canada's largest city directly serving the residents and businesses.
Demanding and detailed work in which the results were seen a year or two later.
Supportive management and co-workers.
Typical large government bureaucracy and politics but that is expected and the staff cared about their work.
Challenging
Shelter Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
A challenging environment to work in. Evaluations with employees and management should be mandatory on a regular basis.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Not very much personal time
Swim Instructor
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor and Pool Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2016
People that work for the city of toronto are great people t work with, they are fun energetic and bring a lot of customer service to the table which is great when interacting with parents and kids
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits

4.3