City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Productive workplace hub
Support Assistant- Birchmount Yard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2017
I would get into the office, check any email requests for Parks equipment. Check Salt loads, File complete request forms and sit in on Safety meetings.

I learned how the city operates and how to work with the community.

Management was always helpful, friendly and understanding limitations.

Workplace culture was very business like a bit casual but professional

Hardest part was deadlines as I was not allowed to have overtime so completion through the work day could get concerning.

Getting to visit different parks and community centres in the City was a highlight. Working for Pan Am games promotion as well.
Pros
Meeting great people and contacts.
Cons
Short hours, no benefits or job security
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
sable work and advancement
Stationary Engineer operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Worked there 36 years,lots of available overtime and benefits A very good pension after 35 years of service, weather on days or sift work.Lots of available training and advancement if wanted. Also had a strong union to back the employees. Transferring from department was also possible.
Pros
Benefits and pesion
Cons
Shift work
Great PLace
Support Assistant C (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
People, salary, environment are fantastic.
it is a good company if you look at it from the corporate site

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Very Welcoming
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2016
The City of Toronto provides a very welcoming environment with excellent benefits and job security. I would recommend working there to others.
What you make it
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Paid well and on time, typical benefits/drawbacks of working for the city/in a union. Frequently rotated while guarding, given a short prep period before an instructing shift.
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ON30 October 2016
City of Toronto has great benefits for employees. However there is not much room for transitioning to other departments for non-union staff as union staff keep getting priorities over others and room for growth isn't very good.
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
City of Toronto
Municipal Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Good environment, good benefits and always opportunities to learn something new. A lot of training involved on job site or courses. Courses available for employess
I worked for over ten years, over qualified with no room to advance.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Various sites8 February 2017
Great part time employment, no possibility for full time employment. Enjoy working with the clients, and most staff, however, management ,politics are a real bone of contention, That for me, has made it very unenjoyable, and miserable place to work.
Pros
Better pay
Cons
No room for promotion.
Great Place to Start and Finish, not a great place for Job Security
Stu dentInte rn (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
The benefits of a union pay grade at the municipality is why the positions are so competitive and highly sough after. But work is baseline and boring.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
productive and fun work enviroment with great and outstanding co workers.
Volunteer Community Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 May 2016
A very welcoming and home feeling like work environment. with friendly and productive co workers. fun enjoying work environment.
Pros
stay fit by channeling energy into movement
Cons
no real good benifits to use
Great place to have a big impact on the lives of the people living in Toronto
Special Projects - Facility Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
ICity ofToronto is a place to work for people who want to have an impact on the lives of people living there. I worked on many projects: community centers, employment places, civic centers, daycares and senior homes, public health and historical buildings. I walked under the City in most of the pipes including intakes under the lake, I flew planes taking aerial photos and climbed in trenches inspecting water main construction.
Pros
working on many interesting projects and to see them used
Cons
very demanding and busy
The money and benefits are a amazing !
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
I worked in Parks and Recreation department for 4 seasons then I quit - I could not stand the winey spoiled union (full-time) workers for another season. The pay and benefits are more then most of us will ever see but the workers complain all the time and most are very lazy. The work is great, management is pretty good - they are all lucky to be working there.
Pros
Wages & benefits
Cons
Spoiled unionized workers
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Great job that teaches leadership skills, accountability, and resonsibility.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Park Lawn Outdoor Pool8 February 2017
Working part time in high school, the City was very accommodating in terms of me building my own schedule and being able to pick my own hours. As a full time summer job, we were guaranteed a full work week, which is beneficial as many of the employees are students saving for school, so the City really looks out for students. In this job I learned how to communicate within a team and leadership skills.
AfterSchool
Afterschool Recreation Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2016
Cons: Getting the kids to listen and the there was no structure of the program planning.

When I switched to the position of Adapted and Integration Staff. Less pay. I feel that the A&I staff should be paid as the camp staff because they're putting so much work and effort in managing children with disabilities and behaviour problems. To get less pay than the camp staff is not fair. We put smooch work in watching the participant, and when they or if they act up we are responsible and sometimes it can be draining to deal with the stress. Sometimes we get bitten by them when they act up. I think we deserve to be paid the same as any staff.

Pros: Getting connected with the participant and building a professional relationship with the participant. Trips and seeing the participant getting excited on the trip or activities they're involved in. To see that the participant is having a good time, shows that my work is done successfully.

Having the kids at the program enjoying the games and everything when the program had its rules and structure. It went smoothly at the end.
Pros
Trips
Cons
Less pay
Love the aspect of meeting new clients and working in different locations. Choose and agree to schedule.... active job
Fitness Instructor/Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2015
I teach classes in different locations, I have learnt you can never make everyone happy in broad classes... I don't see co-workers, I see different staff all the time.

Hardest part of the job the long travel time and distance ... no regular hours.

I do what I love and love what I do especially dealing with the public which brings the customer service to an excellent level.
Pros
The flex hours
Cons
No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor

4.3