City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Stressful when I was employed due to downsizing
Traffic Signal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
Early years was very enjoyable and fun working for the City. With cutbacks in early 1990's and downsizing the stress was affecting productivity and staffs' workload.
N/a
Youth Political Advisory Committee Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
I enjoy volunteering for The City of Toronto Youth Political Advisory Committee because it is a workplace that encourages diversity, inclusion and listens to all the members of the committee, always welcoming a variety of experiences.
fun work
Rink Attendant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 June 2017
communication is key you learn a lot, get to watch hockey all day and talk to people, you learn a lot about skating and how a zamboni works, very fun job
Fun, Challenging, Engaging, Enjoyable
Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
My typical day of work included prepping for the day and prepping for when the children come. I learned to be more patient working with children, their parents, and my peers and coworkers. It was a challenging job at times, but I learned to work well with others and as a team. The hardest part of the job was to deal with different situations that you might not have prepared for or would have foreseen coming, but nevertheless, there is a great team atmosphere. The greatest part of the job was being able to work with kids and see them enjoy and grow.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Can get long
Very organized workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2017
Good people strong administration decent part time hours. can be very strict at times but relatively good overall with a union to protect and advise you on work related issues.
Pros
set hours
Cons
very specific
Fun workplace with great workers
Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
The hardest part of the job was keeping warm in the cold arenas, dealing with the management and trying to get someone to cover your shift. Many of the staff are young, most in their 20's.
Decent starting job
Aquatics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 May 2017
Simple work, simple pay. working directly with clients and seeing them progress through a course is very rewarding. The business side of the job is less than friendly.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Poor work hours
fun, friendly and welcoming co-workers
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
-everyone listening and following given rules

-learning new ways to encourage children to wear helmets, a diverse community

-making sure everyone is safe and that the other workers are doing their jobs properly

-the most enjoyable part of the job for me is when everyone is just having fun, no arguments, no fighting, just everyone getting along and minding their own business
Pros
breaks
Cons
self-centred co-workers
Student Co-op position
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2017
advanced my skills with cisco router configuration. received valuable experience with working in a corporate environment. downtown work life is very fulfilling.
Laid-back work
Customer Service/Facility Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2017
Cool place to work. You have freedom to work your schedule around your life which was good for me while I was still in school. Manager was pretty chill, didnt bother me at all.
Lifeguard for City of Toronto (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
Typical days as a lifeguard include observing pool patrons, ensuring their safety and promoting 3 ps of lifesaving, staff and management are all reasonable, compassionate, and for the most part will always have your back. The workplace culture is quite professional while performing duties, off time can be slightly more casual. The hardest part of the Job is the various situations that must be dealt with as a guard, whether they are physical or have to do with Public relations.
Pros
Work in sun outside, good pay
Working as a lifeguard with city of toronto
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2017
Extensive training leads to a professional and respectful work environment. Management is fair and professional. Co-workers have similar skills and help each other out. Creates a small community.
fun
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2017
had a great time with great peoplle. very much enjoyed my time there as the people were very friendly, i had known them for a long time and were very understanding of personal things that cam
Pros
fun
Cons
hard work
Part-Timer's POV
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
As a part-time worker I have no access to benefits and no guarantee in hours of work. This leads for a precarious, unstable and unsustainable work life.

The part-time job's in my Division are very low wage and the opportunity to move up is reserved for Managements favourites.
Cons
precariousness
Good place to balance your work and personal lives.
Facility In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2017
I enjoy working with the City of Toronto as it allows me to gain experience in a variety of different fields such as management level positions or working with young children.
Co-op College Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
Like any company, things aren't perfect, but everyone there work well together, help each other, and are good to work with. My experience has been great while I was on my Co-op training there and getting the right feedback to help me through my career
Great pension, benefits and work/life balance
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
The job currently is a majority of office and administrative work

I've learned a lot about Microsoft Office applications in particular with using Visio to create organization charts
Simple Job
Tabulator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2017
i worked as a tabulator, for one day, during the municipal elections of toronto. it was simply to operate the machine that calculated a person's vote, ensuring everything ran smoothly. it was a relaxed day that allowed you to focus on the task at hand
Great organization and amazing atmosphere
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2017
City of Toronto is a large organization that has a variety of career possibilities to move throughout the organization, be it just within your division or upward to a level of higher responsibility. It is very fast paced environment and there is lots to learn everyday.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Great job
PFandR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2017
Great culture, great pay, great benefits, great job security. Great place to work. Great work - home life balance which is really nice. Overall an enjoyable place to work!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3