City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Great job that teaches leadership skills, accountability, and resonsibility.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Park Lawn Outdoor Pool8 February 2017
Working part time in high school, the City was very accommodating in terms of me building my own schedule and being able to pick my own hours. As a full time summer job, we were guaranteed a full work week, which is beneficial as many of the employees are students saving for school, so the City really looks out for students. In this job I learned how to communicate within a team and leadership skills.
great company
Records Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
I like my job and variety of tasks from client services through the updating databases, research and creating reports toward physical part of the job - packing boxes, labelling and transferring them to the off site storage. I like a lot being fully responsible for my tasks and being able to make some decisions about how my day and month will look like, as i could prioritize my tasks and choose projects.
Pros
Separate private office, stable hours, cross trained for holiday breaks
Cons
Not much of the daylight on premisses
Productive workplace hub
Support Assistant- Birchmount Yard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2017
I would get into the office, check any email requests for Parks equipment. Check Salt loads, File complete request forms and sit in on Safety meetings.

I learned how the city operates and how to work with the community.

Management was always helpful, friendly and understanding limitations.

Workplace culture was very business like a bit casual but professional

Hardest part was deadlines as I was not allowed to have overtime so completion through the work day could get concerning.

Getting to visit different parks and community centres in the City was a highlight. Working for Pan Am games promotion as well.
Pros
Meeting great people and contacts.
Cons
Short hours, no benefits or job security
An exciting and fun filled work environment.
Specialty Sports Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Working for the City of Toronto has always been exciting. Daily you can find yourself dealing with parents, issues participants have, or participating in a plethora of activities. Management has always been approachable and seem to genuinely care about their employees. Fellow associates have always been very sociable, with many team building "outings" organized. The most enjoyable part of working with the City of Toronto would definitely be seeing each participant learn and excel in whatever program they register in.
Great place to have a big impact on the lives of the people living in Toronto
Special Projects - Facility Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
ICity ofToronto is a place to work for people who want to have an impact on the lives of people living there. I worked on many projects: community centers, employment places, civic centers, daycares and senior homes, public health and historical buildings. I walked under the City in most of the pipes including intakes under the lake, I flew planes taking aerial photos and climbed in trenches inspecting water main construction.
Pros
working on many interesting projects and to see them used
Cons
very demanding and busy
sable work and advancement
Stationary Engineer operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Worked there 36 years,lots of available overtime and benefits A very good pension after 35 years of service, weather on days or sift work.Lots of available training and advancement if wanted. Also had a strong union to back the employees. Transferring from department was also possible.
Pros
Benefits and pesion
Cons
Shift work
I worked for over ten years, over qualified with no room to advance.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Various sites8 February 2017
Great part time employment, no possibility for full time employment. Enjoy working with the clients, and most staff, however, management ,politics are a real bone of contention, That for me, has made it very unenjoyable, and miserable place to work.
Pros
Better pay
Cons
No room for promotion.
Productive and Fun Place
Adrministration/ Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2017
City Of Toronto is a great place to work. It's usually very hard to get a job here but when you do you don't regret it! It's a very relaxed environment but can get busy at times. Very accommodating to everyone, but can sometimes be hard to get hours.
Pros
having fun while working, very relaxed
Cons
no benefits
A truly rewarding and fulfilling work experience
Junior Adventure Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK26 December 2016
Working with the City of Toronto Parks, Forestry, and Recreation was an exceptional experience. I learned much from this position and am eager to apply the skills acquired from this position into other fields.
Pros
Accommodating Hours
Cons
No Cons
Good place to work part time while in school
Part-Time Aquatic Supervisor/Pool In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Albion Pool7 December 2016
Very good job for a student's lifestyle. Get to pick shifts once you get hired. There is a union involved with this job but you don't have to actively get involved but you pay dues and it is there to protect you if there is a dispute of some sort.
Pros
union
Cons
Fun place to work and the people are generally friendly
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
A typical day at work is pretty interesting and it is a great way to meet different people. It is a good way to increase customer service skills, but it can get repetitive.
Pros
Meet so many people
Cons
Doing the same thing every day
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
Nice people, great salary
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2017
Staff are very friendly and everyone wants to work as a team. salary is higher than most other pools I have worked at. Taught half hour instructional programs for 3 hours and lifeguarded for 2 hours.
Pros
Good salary, great staff
Cons
difficult location
Great PLace
Support Assistant C (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
People, salary, environment are fantastic.
it is a good company if you look at it from the corporate site

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Good place for students
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
- you learn customer service skills
- you get to be in a team environment
- you get to work with amazing staff
- The hardest part of the job is when you have patrons yelling at you
-the most fun part is teaching people how to swim
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
nothing
Great job with oppertunity to advance.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
Working with the city was a great overall experience. They truly care about their employee's and make it easy to work for them. This job required a lot of program planning, event coordination, patience, and networking skills to succeed in.
Challenging but it enhance knowledge and skills
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2017
Challenging but it will enhance knowledge and skills.
l have Iearned how to manage time, organizational skills, and prioritize. Co-workers are very cooperative and they are always collaborate each other.
Great job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Amazing job environment
Fun place to make friendships
Not alot of room to grow due to the seniority process and job screening process
Enjoyable part is working with the youth and the rewards of seeing kids and their talents
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers

4.3