City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Alec Review
Handy Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Overall maintenance of parks throughout my designated area.
Report any service that may be subject to other divisions ie. Cutting trees
Interacting with City people
review
exec assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2016
I really loved my boss and the opportunities this job presented for me in my future career. thank you City Hall. Work was very busy as I managed 2 assistants and the councillor's daily schedule.
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRCSeptember 13, 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
how it was
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2016
it was fun and filled with smiles surrounded by many happy kid and volunteer and sommitted staff. it was a safe place very energetic and fun . activities were fun
Fun workplace with great staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
I've enjoyed working with the city and interacting with staff and clientele. A typical day at work may consist of filig, interacting with clients, producing cheques,drug cards eye glass vouchers, and attending/forwarding calls to workers. I've learned how to work at a quick pace, and how to stay organized.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
some clients may be agitated
fun place
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
great and fun place to work at. one of the best cities that offers great programs and services for the general public. great environment and great coworkers.
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
Swim Instructor
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor and Pool Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2016
People that work for the city of toronto are great people t work with, they are fun energetic and bring a lot of customer service to the table which is great when interacting with parents and kids
Great
Rink Guard (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2016
It was very fun to do. All we had to do was make sure the people who came were safe and make sure the ice was safe as well. working for then was fun and amazing only problem is that the pay was not the greatest.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Short pay
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
Great atmosphere with astonishing amount of positive energy.
Physiotherapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Main and GerrardJuly 13, 2016
Complete youth's needs assessment and collaborate with staff to determine most important needs. Positive interaction with clients.
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
Friendly and cooperative environment with amazing managment and staff
Recreation Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the city of Toronto for the past thirteen years as a Customer Service Representative. I have received a great amount of knowledge thats has helped me gain the confidence I have in myself as a front desk receptionist and i am very appreciative of the extensive support and training I have recieved.
Pros
Great relationships
Cons
difficult to get permanency
Fun
Event coordinator/ camp leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
I work summer camp for 2 weeks in july and 1 week in August.
- I am a pre school camp leader
- Learned how to be patient with kids
- Get along with all of my co workers
- I have fun everyday and everydays different.
Pros
Trips
Cons
not enough lunch time
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling AcresJune 22, 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
A well rounded workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 20, 2016
Made everyone feel comfortable that worked there, fair and reasonable with staff members. Everybody working there had a strong work ethic.
Very good
ARC Leadership Program for the city of Toronto (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
I love my job with the city, it has been a very good experience and I am looking forward to starting my job again after the summer break
Great Place to Start and Finish, not a great place for Job Security
Stu dentInte rn (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
The benefits of a union pay grade at the municipality is why the positions are so competitive and highly sough after. But work is baseline and boring.

4.3