City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Productive workplace hub
Support Assistant- Birchmount Yard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2017
I would get into the office, check any email requests for Parks equipment. Check Salt loads, File complete request forms and sit in on Safety meetings.

I learned how the city operates and how to work with the community.

Management was always helpful, friendly and understanding limitations.

Workplace culture was very business like a bit casual but professional

Hardest part was deadlines as I was not allowed to have overtime so completion through the work day could get concerning.

Getting to visit different parks and community centres in the City was a highlight. Working for Pan Am games promotion as well.
Pros
Meeting great people and contacts.
Cons
Short hours, no benefits or job security
I worked for over ten years, over qualified with no room to advance.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Various sites8 February 2017
Great part time employment, no possibility for full time employment. Enjoy working with the clients, and most staff, however, management ,politics are a real bone of contention, That for me, has made it very unenjoyable, and miserable place to work.
Pros
Better pay
Cons
No room for promotion.
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
sable work and advancement
Stationary Engineer operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Worked there 36 years,lots of available overtime and benefits A very good pension after 35 years of service, weather on days or sift work.Lots of available training and advancement if wanted. Also had a strong union to back the employees. Transferring from department was also possible.
Pros
Benefits and pesion
Cons
Shift work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
Very Welcoming
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2016
The City of Toronto provides a very welcoming environment with excellent benefits and job security. I would recommend working there to others.
An exciting and fun filled work environment.
Specialty Sports Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Working for the City of Toronto has always been exciting. Daily you can find yourself dealing with parents, issues participants have, or participating in a plethora of activities. Management has always been approachable and seem to genuinely care about their employees. Fellow associates have always been very sociable, with many team building "outings" organized. The most enjoyable part of working with the City of Toronto would definitely be seeing each participant learn and excel in whatever program they register in.
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Great PLace
Support Assistant C (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
People, salary, environment are fantastic.
it is a good company if you look at it from the corporate site

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Nice people, great salary
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2017
Staff are very friendly and everyone wants to work as a team. salary is higher than most other pools I have worked at. Taught half hour instructional programs for 3 hours and lifeguarded for 2 hours.
Pros
Good salary, great staff
Cons
difficult location
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
Great environment to work in. Always a positive atmosphere. Room for growth. Great Management. Great job culture. Great job security.
What you make it
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Paid well and on time, typical benefits/drawbacks of working for the city/in a union. Frequently rotated while guarding, given a short prep period before an instructing shift.
Highly recommend
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
City of Toronto aquatics is an amazing job to have. Easy to switch shifts if you can not make a shift. Friendly work environment with amazing management.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Some days are stressful
Great place to have a big impact on the lives of the people living in Toronto
Special Projects - Facility Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
ICity ofToronto is a place to work for people who want to have an impact on the lives of people living there. I worked on many projects: community centers, employment places, civic centers, daycares and senior homes, public health and historical buildings. I walked under the City in most of the pipes including intakes under the lake, I flew planes taking aerial photos and climbed in trenches inspecting water main construction.
Pros
working on many interesting projects and to see them used
Cons
very demanding and busy
Organized with a Great Program Schedule
RINK GUARD & RINK FACILITIES ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
This is a bright cherry place. The facility is relatively new and used by many residents in the city. It's kept clean and Management and Staff are always a pleasure.
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ON30 October 2016
City of Toronto has great benefits for employees. However there is not much room for transitioning to other departments for non-union staff as union staff keep getting priorities over others and room for growth isn't very good.
great company
Records Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
I like my job and variety of tasks from client services through the updating databases, research and creating reports toward physical part of the job - packing boxes, labelling and transferring them to the off site storage. I like a lot being fully responsible for my tasks and being able to make some decisions about how my day and month will look like, as i could prioritize my tasks and choose projects.
Pros
Separate private office, stable hours, cross trained for holiday breaks
Cons
Not much of the daylight on premisses
Poor work experience
Project Manager/Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Poor work experience. No proper staff issue resolution.
Work here was rife with political undertones and poor communication skills by management. Work issues could have been better resolved.
Fast paced
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2016
Fantastic stability and job security. Challenging job, management turns over frequently. Good pay and benefits. Unionized environment.

4.3