City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
challenge work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2014
working at this company I find very rewarding work hard with long hours management could be better needs improvement I do think we should be paid more each day I learn new things and there is the reward when the residents are happy sometimes co workers can be a challenge when the day is over I look around I would say thanks for job well done
Diverse workplace with many opportunities
Senior Systems Integrator - Test and BI Lead (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2014
Pros: large organization with a lot of opportunities
Cons: a lot of red tape that hinders the agile nature of projects
There are two tiers of workers in the City of Toronto. Unionized and non-Unionized, it is to strike a balance while working in this organization that posesses the largest challenge. The management staff are very knowledgeable in the process but also play by the rules set out.
Great staff, very positive environment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2014
Though the office at our pool is small, the staff I worked with is amazing. We all get along very well and see each other outside of work. The best part of the job is when children and youth will ask us about how to become lifeguard. It is rewarding to know that the children swimming in the pool look up to the lifeguards as inspiration.
Awesome learning experience
Jr. Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2014
- SAP experience
- MS Excel practice
- Wonderful employees
- at times can be very busy
Its definitely different than the private sector
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: difficult for promotion
Great place to work however unionized environment makes it difficult to be promoted and move up.
Fun
CSR (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2014
It is an amazing place to work with great people and management
Well organized, with many opportunities.
PHW (Current Employee), Woodbridge, ONJuly 24, 2014
I am proud to be a public worker and appreciate my position. I perform my job to the best of my abilites, while maintaining a safety first approach.
Stable yet flexible and varied workplace
Support Assistant B (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2014
Pros: ability to use different skills in my work. salary and benefits are great, too.
Cons: sometimes advancement requirements are too strict
I'm thankful for the opportunity to use my organizational, research, creative and communication skills in this position to serve both internal and external clients over the years. Plus, the salary and benfits are both fantastic and generous.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2014
In the morning I would start off by having classes teaching kids/adults how to swim. In the afternoon I would lifeguard and watch the pool so that the patrons don't have any accidents or injuries. The hardest part of the job was teaching it took allot of effort into teaching kids because you always have to keep their attention and their focus. The most – more... enjoyable part of the job was to teach the adults because they were fun to work with and teach how to swim. – less
Things are looking way up...
Financial and Management Consultant (Former Employee), City HallJune 13, 2014
Pros: new leadership
Cons: past practices
After a review two years ago it is good to see that the City of Toronto Fleet Department has finally hired a high caliber Division Head who is the top in his field. As the largest City in Canada and with the new strong leadership in Fleet it is surely to become "the place to work" in the city of Toronto.

If you want a career in fleet management or – more... if you want to gain excellent experience in a variety of areas you will work hard and you will see changes but it will not be a wasted opportunity.

The best part of the job is the benefits and the people – less
Quite office environment and very less work load
Office Assistant to Councillor Gord Perks (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: less work
Cons: very quite environment
Enter constituents contact information in databases. Organize files and folders in office storage. Deliver pamphlets to local service organizations.
A worthwhile job for it's productivity for the benefits of the city.
Parkland Naturalization Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: knowing i was helping out to preserve a healthy environment for the city.
Cons: the distance from home.
It was a very beautiful work setting at the park near the lake was rewarding for me because I enjoyed it. I learned about preserving plant and tree life and about several species found in the park. Management is very well organized and it's a great co-operative team to work with. To notice worms but, uexpectedly. Pulling the weeds because I knew I was – more... helping to preserve wanted natural habitat. Planting plants was awesome and alot of fun! – less
Enjoyable work environment
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2014
*Dealing with the public
*Helping people in need
*Giving a fun and safe environment
challenging but rewarding work environment
Day care and Recreational Program Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2014
Under the direction of qualified staff, assists in the supervision of infants, children, and youth
Supervise and participate in play with children of all ages during outdoor activities such as swimming, baseball, hockey, etc
Assists in the set up of creative materials for indoor activity. Supervises children participating in games, arts and crafts and – more... music
Under the direction of qualified staff engages children in age appropriate activities to build literacy, resiliency, social skills and communication
Assists children in routine procedures such as eating lunch and snacks, putting on winter clothing, etc
Assists on field trip excursions, which may include the use of public transportation
Performs emergency or unplanned supervised duties which must be considered within the job function
Assists in checking of toys and equipment used in activities to ensure safe functioning
Assists in documenting attendance of children, completing forms, reports, and communication logs as necessary
Provides input in activities planned and assists with promoting participation
Assists with safety and well being of children by adhering to Occupational Health and Safety Act, Day Nurseries Act, Child and Family Services Act
Assist children in integrating into the hostel environment
Attend staff meetings as required – less
Positive
Wading Pool Attendant (Summer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 24, 2014
Working for the City of Toronto was always a positive working experience.
Good place of employment
In-Charge (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2014
- Management is rather lax
- Occasionally, extra work is given as Supervisors do not complete all their assigned work
- Unless you are F/T, employment is scattered based on program peak seasons
- P/T staff mainly work evenings
- Relaxed environment
Professional and productive workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Everyone was very professional and very courteous. The management and staff their were all very helpful and friendly, which made for a great work environment. This job showed me the inner working of the court system within Toronto.
Great Job
driver/loader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2014
Pros: management, team, work
Cons: union
Unfortunately Rob Ford made cutbacks within the city. I was one of them.
PRovide good Training opportunities and benefits
Client Services Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2014
Benefits and training are great but you are working for government so there are often changes in policies as governments change their policies,
Exciting work, lots of opportunities to make a difference.
SENIOR PUBLIC CONSULTATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: excellent people
Cons: long, long hours
Exciting work, lots of opportunities to make a difference.

1 2 3 4 5

About City of Toronto

Canada’s largest and most multicultural city, Toronto is often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Meeting – Read more