City of Toronto

City of Toronto Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good
organizer for elections (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
it's pretty good to be there and enjoy the workers and the atmosphere. everybody makes you feel welcome and they're fairr and very helpful. very enjoyable.
Great pay and work, mediocre environment
Caseworker - Children's Services (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2015
The city pays very well and the work is manageable and enjoyable, but there is a lot of in office politics. These politics often revolve around seniority, and seniority will prevent qualified people from moving up accordingly.
Great Benefits and Worklife Balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, security
Cons: Can be stifling for ambitious individuals in certain Divisions
It is a great relaxed environment but very difficult to move around. You're stuck pretty much in your role. Not a young or vibrant place to work in some Divisions (Finance, Accounting). Other areas are fun (Planning, Transportation).
comfortable office feeling, professional customer service
Children's Summer Camp Leader (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
-make 400-500 calls a day
-complete customer satisfaction surveys
-best and worst part was sitting down all day
-very strict breaks can't be even one minute late
Producitve and reqarding work expereicne
Camp Counselor (Current Employee), Joseph J Piccinnini Community CentreMarch 10, 2015
Pros: rewarding experiences with children
Cons: working in the heat during summer months
I would work from 9-5 everyday in the summer from late June to early September. I would be required to plan the 2 week camp sessions where I worked with kids aged 4-16 in miscellaneous summer camps as well as specialized sports camps. I am very easy to get along with and the children make my job very worth while.
Great
Wading Pool Attendant, Aquatics (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2015
Always had great co-workers, mostly teens and young adults, which makes for a good atmosphere. Typical day lasts 10am-5pm, so the hours are good. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet, whether they be co workers or patrons.
Lots of variety, crafts and sports
Instructor and Day Care Co-ordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: excellent for students who want to work as shifts are very flexible
Cons: very difficult to work full-time unless you are willing to do several jobs
This was an enjoyable, supportive place to work. I particularly learned a lot from being around so many diverse children.
Great employer with great benefits!
Director, Pan/Parapan Am Games Capital Projects (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great compensation and benefits.
Cons: little or no perks at all.
City City of Toronto is a great employer. It was a collegial working atmosphere and I enjoyed my work immensely.

The hardest part of the job is learning and factoring-in the Municipal process of staff reports to Committees and City Council. However, once you master that, the salary, benefits and overall workplace atmosphere makes it all worthwhile. It's a great feeling to actively contribute to your own community.
One day of job
Ballot Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good experience
Fast paced environment, provided customer service and information to voters, checked identification and issue the appropriate ballots. This type of experience gives you an opportunity to excel your skills as productivity, customer service and effectiveness in determined period of time.
Dealing with people and providing customer service
Toronto Police Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: working outdoors in summer
Cons: bad weather, no public in attendance
enjoyed working outdoors and being of assistance to people.
I enjoyed working with a team and ensuring the safety of the public.
A Good Experience Overall
Tae Kwon Do Instructor (Part-time) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: reasonable hours and fun. hourly wage is available to the public
Cons: tiring
I work part-time and I appreciate the support from Management to ensure that TKD is encouraged.

I have always had full classes - keeping it challenging

Overall, I found unrealistic expectation of instructors and a club environment is much more conducive to learning.
good secure work environment. fresh air and meeting people
emergencey inspector water/wastewater (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flexible work conditions
Cons: midnight shift
the most enjoyable part of the job was driving around the city of Toronto, and working with a great group!. answering emergency and non emergency calls to resolve issues for citizens and seeing their happy satisfied smiles was very rewarding.
Very good place to work
Software and Infrastructure Tester (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2015
I really loved to work there
management is great
team is very nice
The Voting Day October 27
accessibility Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2014
Pros: greeting people and helping out
Cons: no free lunch or free time was always busy.
It was a day that every citizen in Toronto needed to voted on which mayor they chose. I, on the other hand had various duties. There was many multicultural people that did not understand what the MDRO was explaining to them. Therefore, I spoke French and Italian to them to explain what they have to do . The MDRO appreciated my well communication skills and it was helpful that I know three languages. I also helped the hard of hearing people, I learned how to do sign language because I took an after school club learning the alphabet in sign language and on that day it absolutely helped me through the say. When it got very bus around 6pm I held the door open for the people to come in and explained to them to be prepared when they need to vote. When it was closing time I helped clean up kept everything organized I helped count the votes brought down the signs, and locked the doors so nobody came in. There were some people that were complaining but I kept them calm and helped them out and they thanked me at the end when they finished voting.
Very political but exciting and challenging position with changing Council and Mayors
Manager, Employee and Labour Relations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: generous benefit package and pension plan
Cons: long hours
I love human resources and, in particular, labour relations. Therefore, the City was a great place to rise to never ending challenges. This was especially true during amalgamation.

The work atmosphere changes quite often as senior management often have conflicting human resources philosophies from their predecessors and that sometimes required a 180 degree change in thinking on the part of managers.

The hardest part of the job was the enormous amounts of time that I was away from my family. Sometimes living in downtown hotels for months at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were helping and making a difference for the residents of Toronto, management and operations as well as making the City as good a work place for line staff as possible.
McDonalds...
Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches if you're slick.
Absolutely most stressful job on the earth. Low pay and bad management result in a stressful work environment.

Good co-workers, they're all dieing with you at work so it's a team thing.
great work environment
Elections Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
great work environment election work. lifting, assembly work.
Fun workplace
Part Time Aquatic Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
Easy job, free movies. Very sad the company went under. You got to work both on your own and with other people. You can do your own thing as long as it's appropriate and your work gets done. I miss this job.
Fun and safe place to grow
Preschool teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2014
The City is a great place to begin and the people are really friendly for the most part. It is a great part time gig for students in school full time.
Government job, with benefits and medium paced work
Engineering Technologist/Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Changes and advancement take time to be seen. Large mega City with many departments.

1 2 3 4 5

About City of Toronto

Canada’s largest and most multicultural city, Toronto is often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Meeting – Read more