City of Toronto Employee Reviews

The money and benefits are a amazing !
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I worked in Parks and Recreation department for 4 seasons then I quit - I could not stand the winey spoiled union (full-time) workers for another season. The pay and benefits are more then most of us will ever see but the workers complain all the time and most are very lazy. The work is great, management is pretty good - they are all lucky to be working there.
Pros
Wages & benefits
Cons
Spoiled unionized workers
Love the aspect of meeting new clients and working in different locations. Choose and agree to schedule.... active job
Fitness Instructor/Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
I teach classes in different locations, I have learnt you can never make everyone happy in broad classes... I don't see co-workers, I see different staff all the time.

Hardest part of the job the long travel time and distance ... no regular hours.

I do what I love and love what I do especially dealing with the public which brings the customer service to an excellent level.
Pros
The flex hours
Cons
No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor
Enjoyable Job
Parks Acting Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Great job with great pay and benefits.You do not take your work home with you so its great for balancing a family. It has amazing job security but it is hard for quick growth within the City of Toronto. Management has its good and bad apples like any company.
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRCSeptember 13, 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
Great place to work for
Co-op, Transportation (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
excellent opportunity to learn,
safe work enviroument
friendly co-worker and management.
Decent salary even for entry level position.
Lots of union activities and support
We provide funding for seniors and people with disabilities so they can continue to live in their homes independently.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2015
Assisting seniors and persons with disabilities to continue living in their homes is priority. My office offers federal/provincial funding for lower-income seniors and persons with disabilities who wish to make health and safety repairs to their homes.

Answer phone calls/emails/front desk inquiries. Assess elgibility of requests from constituents for our program. Process paperwork for funding approval and issuing of funding..

Maintain data base on funding and provide reports to theCity of Toronto and Ministry.

I work with four Program Officers and assist them with the applications at different stages of the funding process.

Hardest part of my job is letting people know they are NOT eligible for our programs because of income, repair/modification item or their property value is too high.

Helping a senior/person with disability live in their own homes independently.

Benefits
Cons
too many hours
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers
fun workplace
Pre-school coordinator, Heron park (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Hardest part of the job would have to be remembering everyone's names. The best thing would have to be seeing the kids get the physical benefits they need.
Pros
prep time
Cons
a lot to clean up
amazing
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
working with the city was great and i am still doing it because i love working with them and it is a fun job to do. A typical day at work would be arriving then setting up all the policy and procedure signs that the City of Toronto has. Then I would have to make sure that the ice is in good condition for the patriants to skate on. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to skate the entire time and getting to interact with people while we work. My co-workers are all amazing people and i love working with them we all have loads of fun working together.
Pros
only working weekends
Cons
more money for such little hours
Challenging
Shelter Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
A challenging environment to work in. Evaluations with employees and management should be mandatory on a regular basis.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Not very much personal time
Friendly and cooperative environment with amazing managment and staff
Recreation Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the city of Toronto for the past thirteen years as a Customer Service Representative. I have received a great amount of knowledge thats has helped me gain the confidence I have in myself as a front desk receptionist and i am very appreciative of the extensive support and training I have recieved.
Pros
Great relationships
Cons
difficult to get permanency
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling AcresJune 22, 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
Fun workplace with great staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
I've enjoyed working with the city and interacting with staff and clientele. A typical day at work may consist of filig, interacting with clients, producing cheques,drug cards eye glass vouchers, and attending/forwarding calls to workers. I've learned how to work at a quick pace, and how to stay organized.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
some clients may be agitated
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
productive and fun - gaming and tv room
Support Assistant B (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
typical day - taking calls and assisting customers with their travel plans

management and co-workers- friendly and helpful

hardest part of the job - extreme service levels

most enjoyable - the feeling of successfully planning someone's holiday
Pros
free tickets
Cons
Everyday is a different day
Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 4, 2015
If you like variety and working with the public and kids... this is the job for you. You set your own hours and participate in programs you want. Kids are kids and can be unpredictable. There aren't any medical or health benefits, but the joy you get from putting a smile on a child's face is irreplaceable.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Excellent employer
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2015
Recently started job with city of toronto. excellent employer, equal opportunity employer with excellent benefits and ongoing training
Pros
comradery
Cons
long shifts
Productive work place with lots to learn
Traffic Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Great opportunity to learn about various computer programs and traffic hardware. The management was supportive and always willing to take time to help junior staff.
Pros
Open door policy with management
Cons
Fairly low salary

4.3