City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRCSeptember 13, 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers
Friendly and cooperative environment with amazing managment and staff
Recreation Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the city of Toronto for the past thirteen years as a Customer Service Representative. I have received a great amount of knowledge thats has helped me gain the confidence I have in myself as a front desk receptionist and i am very appreciative of the extensive support and training I have recieved.
Pros
Great relationships
Cons
difficult to get permanency
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling AcresJune 22, 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Fun workplace with great staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
I've enjoyed working with the city and interacting with staff and clientele. A typical day at work may consist of filig, interacting with clients, producing cheques,drug cards eye glass vouchers, and attending/forwarding calls to workers. I've learned how to work at a quick pace, and how to stay organized.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
some clients may be agitated
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
amazing
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
working with the city was great and i am still doing it because i love working with them and it is a fun job to do. A typical day at work would be arriving then setting up all the policy and procedure signs that the City of Toronto has. Then I would have to make sure that the ice is in good condition for the patriants to skate on. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to skate the entire time and getting to interact with people while we work. My co-workers are all amazing people and i love working with them we all have loads of fun working together.
Pros
only working weekends
Cons
more money for such little hours
Swim Instructor
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor and Pool Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2016
People that work for the city of toronto are great people t work with, they are fun energetic and bring a lot of customer service to the table which is great when interacting with parents and kids
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
productive and fun work enviroment with great and outstanding co workers.
Volunteer Community Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 8, 2016
A very welcoming and home feeling like work environment. with friendly and productive co workers. fun enjoying work environment.
Pros
stay fit by channeling energy into movement
Cons
no real good benifits to use
Why I love being a Swim Instructor/Lifeguard
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoy my job incredibly! You have flexible hours and the work load is very light. Its easy and every other co-worker is your friend. The tough parts of work are keeping up with your qualifications, but luckily your CRP can help you remember when things expire. Sometimes shifts may start at 5am which are hard to wake up for. The most enjoyable part of working as an instructor is getting complimented by parents and how much you mean to their kids.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Early morning shifts
Fun
Event coordinator/ camp leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
I work summer camp for 2 weeks in july and 1 week in August.
- I am a pre school camp leader
- Learned how to be patient with kids
- Get along with all of my co workers
- I have fun everyday and everydays different.
Pros
Trips
Cons
not enough lunch time
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Great
Rink Guard (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2016
It was very fun to do. All we had to do was make sure the people who came were safe and make sure the ice was safe as well. working for then was fun and amazing only problem is that the pay was not the greatest.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Short pay
Grate employer
Work Term Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
In this work term, I paticipated in the daily work of Optimized Maintenance Unit in Toronto Water. I gained experience in facility management and project scheduling. I also benfited from the internal training system on various courses.
The money and benefits are a amazing !
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I worked in Parks and Recreation department for 4 seasons then I quit - I could not stand the winey spoiled union (full-time) workers for another season. The pay and benefits are more then most of us will ever see but the workers complain all the time and most are very lazy. The work is great, management is pretty good - they are all lucky to be working there.
Pros
Wages & benefits
Cons
Spoiled unionized workers
Great atmosphere with astonishing amount of positive energy.
Physiotherapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Main and GerrardJuly 13, 2016
Complete youth's needs assessment and collaborate with staff to determine most important needs. Positive interaction with clients.
Good
Skate Marshall (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
For the Instructional Skating I had learned how to teach children how to skate. The hardest part was when doing report cards for the children because I always liked the children that I had in my group and it was hard for me to give my report to a parent that their child has not passed the level.
review
exec assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2016
I really loved my boss and the opportunities this job presented for me in my future career. thank you City Hall. Work was very busy as I managed 2 assistants and the councillor's daily schedule.

4.3