City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
Productive and Fun workplace with happy customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
Working for the City of Toronto was one of my best jobs. I've learned a lot about customer service and took part of many staff development training courses. My co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable and I've learned what I know today from them. The hardest part of the job was meeting with unhappy customers but with experience, this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my customers happy.
Pros
happy customers
Cons
unhappy customers
Fun workplace with great staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
I've enjoyed working with the city and interacting with staff and clientele. A typical day at work may consist of filig, interacting with clients, producing cheques,drug cards eye glass vouchers, and attending/forwarding calls to workers. I've learned how to work at a quick pace, and how to stay organized.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
some clients may be agitated
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
Friendly and cooperative environment with amazing managment and staff
Recreation Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
I have enjoyed working for the city of Toronto for the past thirteen years as a Customer Service Representative. I have received a great amount of knowledge thats has helped me gain the confidence I have in myself as a front desk receptionist and i am very appreciative of the extensive support and training I have recieved.
Pros
Great relationships
Cons
difficult to get permanency
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling Acres22 June 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
Good start up job
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2016
Very easy and manageable job, it's a great social environment. The staff and the community is very friendly.

Easy to get along with parents and kids as long as you know the surrounding.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Some kids aren't easy to work with, but managable!
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ON30 October 2016
City of Toronto has great benefits for employees. However there is not much room for transitioning to other departments for non-union staff as union staff keep getting priorities over others and room for growth isn't very good.
Poor work experience
Project Manager/Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Poor work experience. No proper staff issue resolution.
Work here was rife with political undertones and poor communication skills by management. Work issues could have been better resolved.
amazing
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ON9 May 2016
working with the city was great and i am still doing it because i love working with them and it is a fun job to do. A typical day at work would be arriving then setting up all the policy and procedure signs that the City of Toronto has. Then I would have to make sure that the ice is in good condition for the patriants to skate on. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to skate the entire time and getting to interact with people while we work. My co-workers are all amazing people and i love working with them we all have loads of fun working together.
Pros
only working weekends
Cons
more money for such little hours
Not very stressful
Rink Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
The job is very easy and if you are good at talking with people and de-escalating some situations this job is for you. It is not very engaging and a lot of the time you are just sitting there or skating in circles.
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Swim Instructor
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor and Pool Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
People that work for the city of toronto are great people t work with, they are fun energetic and bring a lot of customer service to the table which is great when interacting with parents and kids
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
It is a nice place to work
SAP BI Reporting Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2016
I worked with City of Toronto more than a year. It is a nice place to work. It is like working in a family.
Working hours are also flexible and team is also very cooperative.
review
exec assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
I really loved my boss and the opportunities this job presented for me in my future career. thank you City Hall. Work was very busy as I managed 2 assistants and the councillor's daily schedule.
City of Toronto
Municipal Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Good environment, good benefits and always opportunities to learn something new. A lot of training involved on job site or courses. Courses available for employess
AfterSchool
Afterschool Recreation Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2016
Cons: Getting the kids to listen and the there was no structure of the program planning.

When I switched to the position of Adapted and Integration Staff. Less pay. I feel that the A&I staff should be paid as the camp staff because they're putting so much work and effort in managing children with disabilities and behaviour problems. To get less pay than the camp staff is not fair. We put smooch work in watching the participant, and when they or if they act up we are responsible and sometimes it can be draining to deal with the stress. Sometimes we get bitten by them when they act up. I think we deserve to be paid the same as any staff.

Pros: Getting connected with the participant and building a professional relationship with the participant. Trips and seeing the participant getting excited on the trip or activities they're involved in. To see that the participant is having a good time, shows that my work is done successfully.

Having the kids at the program enjoying the games and everything when the program had its rules and structure. It went smoothly at the end.
Pros
Trips
Cons
Less pay

4.3