City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Poorly Mananged From the Top
Facility In Charge (Current Employee) –  Don Montgomery CRC13 September 2016
The City of Toronto has a lot of potential to be a great employer, but top level management is so poor that nothing gets done and changes take years to implement. Their web systems are behind the times and the IT department is hesitant to make changes because of the lengthy paperwork and approval process involved. Consequently, employees are left justifying old methodology and outdated systems to the public. Also, many positions are granted not to the best candidate but to a candidate with more seniority.
Pros
benefits, pension, sick time, holiday
Cons
management, paperwork, seniority
sable work and advancement
Stationary Engineer operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Worked there 36 years,lots of available overtime and benefits A very good pension after 35 years of service, weather on days or sift work.Lots of available training and advancement if wanted. Also had a strong union to back the employees. Transferring from department was also possible.
Pros
Benefits and pesion
Cons
Shift work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
- Good place to work with nice pay and benefit.
- Friendly co-workers and rewarding environment
- diverse corporate culture
- Good work/life balance
- formal training provided
Pros
good work/life balance, good pay
Cons
Hard to retain as a permanent full-time employee
comfortable workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2016
I enjoy working for the city of Toronto, I have good job security and I like working with my co workers in aquatics. Although, I don't have many benefits and the hours can be long.
Pros
good job security
Cons
long hours, no benefits
Very Welcoming
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2016
The City of Toronto provides a very welcoming environment with excellent benefits and job security. I would recommend working there to others.
A bit old fashioned, but stable
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Pros
Working at the city was my first real office job and entry into a corporate environment. Working in the IT department was very relaxed. There's a fairly progressive vibe, you'll see people walk around to consult with other team members. Most of the full-time staff here are middle-aged (and older) adults who've been working here for decades, so the atmosphere is more like a toned-down, conservative, classic office. That's not to say they couldn't or didn't adapt to modern web technology though, which they were constantly looking at to implement.

Cons
As a student, there wasn't much orientation and I didn't know what to expect in terms of company culture. My entry felt sort of impromptu. I also didn't learn much "on the job", but I guess that might've been expected with my novice qualifications and probably them not wanting to bring me onto a team that dealt with something important. I did pretty basic html (bootstrap) and javascript pages, as well as some minor QA, cleanup, and documentation. I appreciated the exposure though.
Great PLace
Support Assistant C (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
People, salary, environment are fantastic.
it is a good company if you look at it from the corporate site

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
Great environment to work in. Always a positive atmosphere. Room for growth. Great Management. Great job culture. Great job security.
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ON30 October 2016
City of Toronto has great benefits for employees. However there is not much room for transitioning to other departments for non-union staff as union staff keep getting priorities over others and room for growth isn't very good.
Great place to have a big impact on the lives of the people living in Toronto
Special Projects - Facility Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
ICity ofToronto is a place to work for people who want to have an impact on the lives of people living there. I worked on many projects: community centers, employment places, civic centers, daycares and senior homes, public health and historical buildings. I walked under the City in most of the pipes including intakes under the lake, I flew planes taking aerial photos and climbed in trenches inspecting water main construction.
Pros
working on many interesting projects and to see them used
Cons
very demanding and busy
Great Place to Start and Finish, not a great place for Job Security
Stu dentInte rn (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
The benefits of a union pay grade at the municipality is why the positions are so competitive and highly sough after. But work is baseline and boring.
Poor work experience
Project Manager/Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Poor work experience. No proper staff issue resolution.
Work here was rife with political undertones and poor communication skills by management. Work issues could have been better resolved.
Unlike other organizations , working at the City provides the opportunity to work with varied lines of business
Senior systems integrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2016
Working in the public service provides the opportunity to serve the public interest and to make a difference to the citizens of Toronto , to individuals and corporations looking for services, entertainment and business opportunities.
Pros
Benefits and working conditions are excellent
City of Toronto
Municipal Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Good environment, good benefits and always opportunities to learn something new. A lot of training involved on job site or courses. Courses available for employess
retired after 31 years of full time service
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
great place to have worked
great co-workers.
an over-all friendly environment
meet so many people
had various jobs in my time there and all were knowledgeable and at times demanding to complete work.
management people were a joy to work for
miss those days. life goes on. new adventures.
Pros
enjoyment of working in a no stress environment
Cons
retirement
review
exec assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
I really loved my boss and the opportunities this job presented for me in my future career. thank you City Hall. Work was very busy as I managed 2 assistants and the councillor's daily schedule.
AfterSchool
Afterschool Recreation Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2016
Cons: Getting the kids to listen and the there was no structure of the program planning.

When I switched to the position of Adapted and Integration Staff. Less pay. I feel that the A&I staff should be paid as the camp staff because they're putting so much work and effort in managing children with disabilities and behaviour problems. To get less pay than the camp staff is not fair. We put smooch work in watching the participant, and when they or if they act up we are responsible and sometimes it can be draining to deal with the stress. Sometimes we get bitten by them when they act up. I think we deserve to be paid the same as any staff.

Pros: Getting connected with the participant and building a professional relationship with the participant. Trips and seeing the participant getting excited on the trip or activities they're involved in. To see that the participant is having a good time, shows that my work is done successfully.

Having the kids at the program enjoying the games and everything when the program had its rules and structure. It went smoothly at the end.
Pros
Trips
Cons
Less pay
By the book
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kipling Acres22 June 2016
A great learning experience for students. Preceptors are knowledgable and will go out of their way to help you learn. Support staff can sometimes be challenging to work with. The facility at Kipling Acres is very well managed, residents are happy and everything is up to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards.
Pros
Good pay once employed, job security
Cons
Paper documentation, no hire after graduation, no internal recommendations
Assistant Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto15 April 2016
Amazing work environment with great opportunities for career advancement. The management is helpful and skilled to assist you in the career progression. Working with the biggest City in Canada allows you to learn skills in a fast paced work environment.
The money and benefits are a amazing !
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
I worked in Parks and Recreation department for 4 seasons then I quit - I could not stand the winey spoiled union (full-time) workers for another season. The pay and benefits are more then most of us will ever see but the workers complain all the time and most are very lazy. The work is great, management is pretty good - they are all lucky to be working there.
Pros
Wages & benefits
Cons
Spoiled unionized workers

4.3