City of Surrey Employee Reviews

Great volunteer opportunities
volunteering on day of Roots (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 December 2015
Really easy to become a volunteer and take part in festivals, events, fundraisers for the City of Surrey. Can also help out at the park, plants trees and flowers. Volunteers are provided with snacks while volunteering and breaks whenever you want. References are mailed to you which is a plus!
Pros
Snacks
productive and fun workplace
Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 July 2016
working for the city is a fun and great learning place, it teaches you about the community and how to work independently and as part of a team. the management and co workers are great and are always willing to help and answer questions. the best part is the atmosphere at the workplace it is fun and lively and everyone is like a family.
micro managed
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 August 2016
As a long time employee, the last 2 years has seen many changes and not many for the good. Meetings after meetings, more and more courses and inside hiring to managers kids friends etc.. Jobs that used to get done in short order now take 5 times as long due to so many other people involved in many simple job decisions.
Pros
Staff I work with directly
Cons
change after change after change
Recommended
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 October 2016
The city of surrey is a great opportunity to get some volunteer experience. Every event you go to, you will learn something new and valuable that will help you later on find a job.
Pros
Great Managment, training
Surrey Sport and Leisure Pool
Lifeguard/ Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 October 2016
My typical work day is done by guarding the pool, working alongside co-workers to insure the safety of the general public. Serving the needs of the public and making sure to prevent injuries or any unsafe behaviour that may lead to an emergency. I've learned how to manage my emotions and how to handle every medical emergency that presents itself to me as a professional for the City of Surrey. Management could be better, they are not out on the pool deck nor do they understand the job of a lifeguard. Staff morale is not important to them. They are more concerned with scheduling (often over book and overlapping) and making a profit. Often they make mistakes with shift scheduling. They do not know how to treat staff with respect, we are given 1 day of a year, yet they do not inform us that we are given 9 family days. I know this from the grapevine, not from upper management. When I call in sick, I am expected to present a doctor's note, which is fine; however, the problem lies not within presenting, but how I am treated until I present a doctor's note. They basically think I am lying up until presentation. I find this rude and unfair, I do not disrespect the system, when I call in sick it is legitimate. I will get a doctor's note, but until that time I expect to be treated with decency, which I am not. Upper management doesn't consider us important, they have treated us like we are liars. This is the hardest part of the job, but I truly love serving the public and doing everything in my ability to keep the pool a safe and enjoyable place for all community members.
Pros
good pay, good co workers
Cons
management
Great community and nice people
IT & Project Management (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 August 2016
A typical day at work would be going to meetings and communicating with many different people. My manager and co workers were very welcoming and friendly.
Pros
longer breaks
Cons
going to a lot of meetings
Performed the role of QA lead
Senior Quality Assurance Consultant/ FMS QA Lead (Former Employee) –  surrey, bc18 August 2015
Its a fun place to work. coworkers were very friendly and it was a wonderful experience working at the city. overall it was a great place to work, everyday there was a lot of learning.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No work from home option
work with great people
Clerk 3. Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 June 2016
I love working with the people here. We have many wonderful people. A typical day is very busy, upbeat and always challenging.
Records Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 April 2013
Due to a few different job titles, I would say that the most typical days I would have had would be resolving issues around payment, billing, staff training and overall business and report writing. All of my managers have been very good. Good training and excellent courses enabled me to learn many skills which made my learning easier. The most enjoyable part of the jobs at BC Tel/Telus were working with the public.
Pros
job security, benefits, schooling.
Cons
n/a
Many jobs are auxiliary or part time
CSA 3 (Former Employee) –  Surrey20 April 2013
The job was fine, but they hire many auxiliary people for the same position. You won't get many hours because there will be four of you sharing the same shifts. You can't work in different areas of the city because the minimum hours per shift is four and you can only work 7 hours in total - you can't do four hours in one rec centre and then 4 hours in another centre in the same day. 35 hours is considered part time and that way they don't have to give you full benefits.
Fun and helps connect with the community
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey-White Rock, BC8 January 2016
City of Surrey is a very fun place and you get to join in community services and meet new people. i enjoyed it because it allows you to have fun and join in activities and everyone sends awesome nice vibes
Pros
fun
Loved this job
Arena staff (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 February 2014
I loved this job because I got to work with kids. But the hours were very bad because there was so many employers and not enough jobs.
Pros
working with kids, great salary
Cons
bad hours and poor organization
Good working environment.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 October 2015
Clean and modern workplace. Up to date equipment. Competitive benefit packages including Extended Health Care and Dental, Public transit subsidy, Municipal Pension and others.
Staff shortages were stressful.
Crime Prevention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 March 2014
The Surrey RCMP provided me with many opportunities to broaden my career. The work was by its nature demanding and occasionally dangerous.

I worked well with the civilians who were our co-workers.

Relationships within the force were often tested as different methods and procedures were occasionally stressful.

The hardest part of the job was keeping positive and helping others to do so as well.

The excitement of the job and the bonds between members was always the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
well paid exciting and interesting work, never the same
Cons
shift work, long commute
Great place to Volunteer
Volunteer Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 October 2014
I had some great training. the experience was valuable. the experience is great but does not give any preference for Career Firefighter.
In Fact if you volunteer you are expected to know more and are penalized by crew if you make mistakes.
Pros
training, experince
Cons
No prefernce for career.
fun working socailize with people
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 July 2015
fun working and social with community and help kids do the activity and interact with guests .have fun their and enjoy the festival
Pros
socailisze
Cons
stay out in the sun
Government good paying
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 July 2014
May 2001- Nov 2001 General Laborer, City of Surrey, Surrey. (Temporary )
• Employed within the Sewer & Public Works Depts.
• Responsible for inspecting sewers, determining root cause and problem solving.
• Traveled to various locations to determine areas of issue.
• Utilized strong communication skills both with peers & interdepartmentally to ensure resolve was achieved.
• Ensured all designated responsibilities were consistently achieved.
Pros
free gas company cars
Cons
non
Place to provide all sorts of customers with excitement
Lifeguard/Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 June 2013
Excellent Management and Staff. Supervised pool deck, provided tremendous amount of customer service, created creative lessons plans and dealt with patrons on an ongoing basis.
I like volunteering for City of Surrey. I like the way they post jobs and I could just sign up when I have time to help.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 July 2013
I like the way they post jobs and I could just sign up when I am able to help. They always thank us as volunteers and I definitely appreciate that. I learned a lot from volunteering like public speaking skills and leadership skills.
LOVED IT!
Projects and Development Facilities Division (Former Employee) –  Surrey and Vancouver30 April 2015
Working with the city was never a boring moment. All the staff members made it fun to come to work and were all very supportive when I was the new one in the office.

4.5