City of Surrey Employee Reviews

Great place to gain volunteer hours
A Surrey Youth Stewardship Squad Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 May 2017
I really enjoy volunteering for the City of Surrey! I just started volunteering for the City of Surrey. I go in certain parks in Surrey and help keep the parks a better place. I help remove invasive plants and plant new plants for the summer.
Pros
Free snackes, gaining volunteer hours and meeting new people
Cons
Chance of getting injured
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 May 2017
very fun volunteering place, many events to volunteer at and very relaxed place to work at. not very busy and stuff. sometimes disorganized but still pretty chill
A great place to grow, and start a career
MyZone- Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 May 2017
Community and work go hand in hand. Plugging in a passion with work can be done with ease. There is never a dull moment at work, and never a need to be bored.
Great Pay
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 December 2016
Great pay, but no guarantee you will get hours to work. Advances within departments are often based on friendships.Prepare to teach 40hrs a week to start.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Promotions are not always appropriate.
Recommended
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 October 2016
The city of surrey is a great opportunity to get some volunteer experience. Every event you go to, you will learn something new and valuable that will help you later on find a job.
Pros
Great Managment, training
Surrey Sport and Leisure Pool
Lifeguard/ Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 October 2016
My typical work day is done by guarding the pool, working alongside co-workers to insure the safety of the general public. Serving the needs of the public and making sure to prevent injuries or any unsafe behaviour that may lead to an emergency. I've learned how to manage my emotions and how to handle every medical emergency that presents itself to me as a professional for the City of Surrey. Management could be better, they are not out on the pool deck nor do they understand the job of a lifeguard. Staff morale is not important to them. They are more concerned with scheduling (often over book and overlapping) and making a profit. Often they make mistakes with shift scheduling. They do not know how to treat staff with respect, we are given 1 day of a year, yet they do not inform us that we are given 9 family days. I know this from the grapevine, not from upper management. When I call in sick, I am expected to present a doctor's note, which is fine; however, the problem lies not within presenting, but how I am treated until I present a doctor's note. They basically think I am lying up until presentation. I find this rude and unfair, I do not disrespect the system, when I call in sick it is legitimate. I will get a doctor's note, but until that time I expect to be treated with decency, which I am not. Upper management doesn't consider us important, they have treated us like we are liars. This is the hardest part of the job, but I truly love serving the public and doing everything in my ability to keep the pool a safe and enjoyable place for all community members.
Pros
good pay, good co workers
Cons
management
micro managed
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 August 2016
As a long time employee, the last 2 years has seen many changes and not many for the good. Meetings after meetings, more and more courses and inside hiring to managers kids friends etc.. Jobs that used to get done in short order now take 5 times as long due to so many other people involved in many simple job decisions.
Pros
Staff I work with directly
Cons
change after change after change
Great community and nice people
IT & Project Management (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 August 2016
A typical day at work would be going to meetings and communicating with many different people. My manager and co workers were very welcoming and friendly.
Pros
longer breaks
Cons
going to a lot of meetings
productive and fun workplace
Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 July 2016
working for the city is a fun and great learning place, it teaches you about the community and how to work independently and as part of a team. the management and co workers are great and are always willing to help and answer questions. the best part is the atmosphere at the workplace it is fun and lively and everyone is like a family.
work with great people
Clerk 3. Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 June 2016
I love working with the people here. We have many wonderful people. A typical day is very busy, upbeat and always challenging.
Fun and helps connect with the community
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey-White Rock, BC8 January 2016
City of Surrey is a very fun place and you get to join in community services and meet new people. i enjoyed it because it allows you to have fun and join in activities and everyone sends awesome nice vibes
Pros
fun
Great volunteer opportunities
volunteering on day of Roots (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 December 2015
Really easy to become a volunteer and take part in festivals, events, fundraisers for the City of Surrey. Can also help out at the park, plants trees and flowers. Volunteers are provided with snacks while volunteering and breaks whenever you want. References are mailed to you which is a plus!
Pros
Snacks
Good working environment.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 October 2015
Clean and modern workplace. Up to date equipment. Competitive benefit packages including Extended Health Care and Dental, Public transit subsidy, Municipal Pension and others.
Performed the role of QA lead
Senior Quality Assurance Consultant/ FMS QA Lead (Former Employee) –  surrey, bc18 August 2015
Its a fun place to work. coworkers were very friendly and it was a wonderful experience working at the city. overall it was a great place to work, everyday there was a lot of learning.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No work from home option
fun working socailize with people
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 July 2015
fun working and social with community and help kids do the activity and interact with guests .have fun their and enjoy the festival
Pros
socailisze
Cons
stay out in the sun
Loved it!
Projects and Development Facilities Division (Former Employee) –  Surrey and Vancouver30 April 2015
Working with the city was never a boring moment. All the staff members made it fun to come to work and were all very supportive when I was the new one in the office.
productive workplace
Assembler/ Distributor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 December 2014
It was a good place to work but the hours were long and the work was very hard! More employees would have made it more efficient.
Great place to Volunteer
Volunteer Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 October 2014
I had some great training. the experience was valuable. the experience is great but does not give any preference for Career Firefighter.
In Fact if you volunteer you are expected to know more and are penalized by crew if you make mistakes.
Pros
training, experince
Cons
No prefernce for career.
Team building environment
Surrey Parks Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 September 2014
Worked alongside other volunteers in a positive uplifting environment
Developed skills in dealing with the public leaving them happy and satisfied
Government good paying
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 July 2014
May 2001- Nov 2001 General Laborer, City of Surrey, Surrey. (Temporary )
• Employed within the Sewer & Public Works Depts.
• Responsible for inspecting sewers, determining root cause and problem solving.
• Traveled to various locations to determine areas of issue.
• Utilized strong communication skills both with peers & interdepartmentally to ensure resolve was achieved.
• Ensured all designated responsibilities were consistently achieved.
Pros
free gas company cars
Cons
non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Surrey. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5