City of Richmond, VA

City of Richmond, VA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace with energetic top level management
User and Operations Support Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 26, 2012
Pros: lunch and learns, positive work environment and friendly co-workers
Cons: rigid organization because of bureaucracy
The City of Richmond is a very desirable place to work as everyone from the CAO down to the front line staff have a positive attitude and enjoy a healthy work/life balance. There are many social and corporate events throughout the year and it is a certainly well sort after work place.
Enjoyed working with patrons
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 21, 2014
Learned other aspects of Library Services, was able to interact with all types of people. Supervisor was great and patient.
A Typical day at Cave Run Marina
Co-op Firefighter/First Responder (Current Employee), Richmond, KYOctober 21, 2014
A typical days work at Cave Run Marina is showing and describing the boats that we rent out, pumping gas, pumping sewage from boat owners, working and maintaining the dock, and the boats.
excellent place for new things and technical opportunities
IT Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2014
excellent place for new things and technical opportunities. There was entirely too much happening, needed to moderate the work efforts. Some good people working hard. Good promotion opportunities
no comment
Gas and Water Service Technician (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: benifits, vacation/sick time, co-workers
Cons: management
overall not a bad place to work. Coworkers are fun and encourage and help you with your growth and development. The work is hard and challenging. The job can sometimes be physically demanding and you will not go home on time. The overtime is in abundance. sadly, the management is atrocious.
productive fun place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: riding in company car, and job was on the bus line, excellent hours
Cons: the supervisors
I started off the day cleaning designated areas throughout the park and continued to other areas to maintain cleanliness . Kept great rapport with the other employees also . The hardest part of the job is working in the extreme weather conditions being that it was an outdoors job.
I worked in the Virginia Initiative to Employment not Welfare. (VIEW)
Chief Election Officer (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: benefits, salary, work schedule was consistant, employers location
Cons: management, parking.
.My typical work day was data entry for Richmond Department of Social Services (RDSS) VIEW participants to go thru an assessment so their family could continue to receive subsidy. I would tag a pre-typed letter with their name, address and date of assessment. I learned to use various Virginia Department of Social Services computer data base programs. – more... Management was the not good at all. I was employed with RDSS for 18 years by then. I had never received negative evaluations. Under this new supervisor that I had at that time, I was given very negative evaluations and they were laden with lies. I was not able to prove that the evaluations were not conducive with my personality. Recently RDSS was in the news on how employees were fired, demoted and some even quit because of managements treatment to employees. My immediate supervisor was demoted to a position lower than this position. I got along wonderfully with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the daily mistreatment. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the VIEW participants talking to them on the telephone also. I was the clerical support also for the Intensive Case Managers of the participants cases. I enjoyed my job duties – less
No room for growth
Water Quality Technician (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 28, 2014
Pros: always accepts training opportunities
Cons: there is no career growth
A typical work day for me includes sampling, customer service, performing analytical tests, supply reordering, and quality control.
IT Operates Under Political Mandate
UNIX/Linux Systems Support Senior Engineer (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: reasonably good job security
Cons: below market compensation, unclear objectives
Competent Technical Professionals struggle to meet or exceed conflicting or unclear objectives
good place to work
Election Officer (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: long hours
Very interesting and you get to interact with various cultures.
Working at City Hall
Council Budget Analyst (Former Employee), 900 E. Broad Street, Richmond, VAJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: working for the city
Cons: unqualified and insecure management
Exposure to City Governent was a mixed bag. It was exciting to be at the center of activity. However, the limitations and subsequent insecurity of the middle/departmental management make working there an iffy proposition.
A great place to work with great employees
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: the job was close to home.
Cons: had to pay for parking.
A typical day at work would be answering customer request, inquiries, or problems in person or on the telephone. I learned a lot about City government. Management was always there to assist you in any way. The co-workers were always willing to help you. The job was not hard at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Energitic and fun workplace during down time with co-workers.
Fire Lieutenant / Shift Safety Officer (Former Employee), 8800 W. Huguenot Rd. Richmond, VAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: being respected in the community.
Cons: having to rush from the dinner table after a well prepared meal by one of your co-workers.
Responding to emergency situations of all types was a typical day at work.You can learn something new everyday on this job. Management and co-workers had a great working relationship, co-workers were very productive and completed assingments on time. The hardest part of the job is the lose of a co-worker in the line of duty, and seeing some of the citizens – more... we serve lose their life or property during a tragic situation.The most enjoyable part of the job was establishing and maintaining effective relationships with my co-workers and ohthers. – less
Stable company with opportunities to move to different branches within the company.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 9, 2014
The company was very good with developing their employees.
They also allowed free training outside of work hours to learn additional skills such as power point, excel, and management training. The job stability at this company was very good compared to others.
Very calm and quite place
Student Summer Placement Program (Former Employee), Richmond, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: short breaks, summer time job
My co-workers were more to their selves half the time. The work place was always neat but a bit to boring. The machines worked perfectly fine.
Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 31, 2013
Culture is a nightmare. Management isn't helpful, limited opportunity to grow. Does not train
N/A
Department of Public Health-Fiscal Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 19, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
The pay was decent for an entry-level position. The responsibilities ranged from washing cars, to handling corporate accounts, to repossessing rental cars from non-paying customers, to brokering contracts. All over the place - sometimes rewarding, sometimes physically dangerous. The benefit is that they will release you after about a year and a half – more... and potential employers will realize how hard you've worked and how excited you are about doing just about anything els – less
Fun workplace
Financial Pre-Auditor (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 11, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: unprofessional
Laid back management that doesn't hold their employees to the highest standards
Able to go home some times,an still get paid for the day.
Boom /Trash Truck Operation (Former Employee), 900 West Broad StreetDecember 5, 2013
Pros: lot of over time
Cons: some times mangers played a lot of games with the workers.
Worked four ten hour days.Able to work in drifferent departments.Also learned ho to drive an operate equipment.Most of co-worker were good pepole.
It was a loving and caring enviroment.
RRHA (Former Employee), 910 Chamberlayne PrkwyDecember 2, 2013
Pros: everyone worked together in harmony.
Cons: short breaks
A typical day I interact with clients while finding out what there beauty need were. I instructed employees on how to service clients as well as service my regular clients.

1 2 3