City of Ottawa

City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Large Responsibility for the safety of Others
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great pay, fun and active, work with others in team buliding excercises
Cons: constantly teaching in cold water, chlorine rashes, clean possible vomit, etc (pool follwings)
The job of being a Lifeguard requires

- on going learning and teaching opportunities.

- There is an expectation that each individual is to work as a team in high stress situations

- Weekly Monthly an yearly practice and certify qualifications.

- Learn a lot about life saving, pool maintenance, paper work, community involvement and much more.
Fun, challenging, exciting
Camp Counselor/Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 14, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: short hours (except summers)
Very enjoyable workplace, working with children is extremely fun and rewarding. All the staff are great people and it continues to be a great experience. No two days are the same, and while some children's disputes can be challenging to resolve at times, it gives a deep sense that you're making a difference in their lives.
Management restructure needed
Lifeguard, Instructor, and CSR (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2014
Pros: structure and planning is incredible
Cons: management team is uncooperative within itself
As a lifeguard with the City of Ottawa, I have it relatively easy.

I work at a quiet pool, with a simple task set, and a fair number of swimming lesson blocks.

I really enjoy how structured and precise everything is. There is always a plan for everything, and the answers to any question you may have is just simple to find.

The one thing that I don't – more... necessarily enjoy is the management style. At my pool, the PC's office is located within the lifeguard room, separated by a few filing cabinets and nothing more. The level of micro-managing that occurs is difficult to handle at times.

The pros are numerous. I enjoy teaching higher-level swimming lessons, so I had a few really good blocks of lessons including Swim Kids 8/9/10, and PowerSwim. Teaching these classes is great because the Head Guards provide a strong support and are available as a ready reference whenever you need.

Overall, I've enjoyed my time at the City. – less
Great job for students; has flexible work hours
Head Lifeguard, Lifeguard, and Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 7, 2014
As a lifeguard with the City of Ottawa, I have learned many valuable skills that can be applied in the workforce. I have learned how to work as a team and how to work with little supervision. As a lifeguard, team work is essential, as the facility is large and many lifeguards are working together to ensure the facility is safe. I also learned advanced – more... first aid skills, included how to operate an AED machine and oxygen tanks.

As a head lifeguard, a typical day includes setting up the facility, ensuring my staff are performing their responsibilities, responding to public relations, opening and closing the cash, closing the facility, and writing daily reports. As a head lifeguard, I would say the hardest part about my job is balancing work and personal life. As the head lifeguard, I am responsible for the entire facility and my staff. This can be very time consuming and I often find it difficult to allow myself personal time and activities while not at work. The most enjoyable part of my job is working in a great community and getting to know the patrons on a personal level. – less
love it
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 7, 2014
i love that job, learned a lot their.
very helpful, nice employee.
Good work place, stable, good benefit
Systems Developer / Integrator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2014
The work in the public sector is quite different compared to the private sector.
Heavy Duty Technician (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Good management, team-oriented environment. Good benefits package.
Enthusiastic and engaging workplace
After School Program & P.D. Day Camps Coordinator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 2, 2014
The City of Ottawa Recreation and Culture department is a workplace of opportunity. Over the course of 9 years working for the city, I've had the pleasure of working with a variety of co-workers and volunteers. The work environments in recreation are very dynamic, challenging, and rewarding. The most enjoyable part of my jobs has been making people – more... feel happier, safer, and knowing that they are the getting value they want. – less
A great place overall to work as a summer student
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 28, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: some unpleasant tasks
I really enjoy the camaraderie between all the employees and that they really tried to involve the student even if we are only there for a short amount of time. My bosses have always been very easy-going and made sure that the road work we were doing was safe.
Fun, Exciting, Accomodating
Engineering Assistant III (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 16, 2014
Met a lot of great people and learned a lot while working with the City of Ottawa. Very laid back but professional environment.
FUN!
Rink Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 11, 2014
Pros: hockey
Cons: cold
Great time, better people! I loved getting everyone together playing, and if you enjoy playing hockey and getting paid. I highly reccemond it!
The city provides for a fun environment with room for internal advancement.
Camp Counsellor and Program Leader (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: union structure
Cons: cap on the hours available to work
This is a great job for a student, you are provided with a fun environment and management offers many ways for advancement if you're a dedicated employee.
A great learning experience
Electrical Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: lots of time spent outside
Cons: inflexible work hours
A typical day consisted of going out with electricians to repair broken lights and electrical equipment at various parks and recreational facilities all across Ottawa.
Productive and enjoyable enviroment
Maintained the Rink (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: boring at times
I got to the rink and first I shoveled all of the snow that was on it off with either a shovel or snow blower. I then brought all the equipment on too the ice such as hockey nets and I made sure at all times that everyone was in a safe environment. I was always the only one working during my shift. The ahrdest part of the job was the cold days as it – more... was hard to complete all my tasks because i was so cold. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to watch other people enjoy the ice that i helped maintain – less
City of Ottawa Infrastructure Division
Student (Co-op) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 9, 2014
Good place to learn about the construction industry. This was a great opportunity to understand the importance of communication and project management.
First jobs
Maintenance Helper III (Summer Student) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
this employment was many of first jobs that was profitable such as being unionized, receiving good long hours, and more.
City of Ottawa After School Program
Coordinator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Would start off by setting up before the bell ran for school to be over. I would take attendance while kids start to pile in. I would then go over the schedule for the day with the counsellors and get activities set up. It would then become circle time. Circle time is for telling all the kids of any new rules and what the plans were for the day. We – more... would then do one activity and after would be snack. After snack we would then go into the gym for a running game. After the gym it is free time for the kids that haven't been picked up yet. I would then write in the log book about the day, who was working, and what activities we played. After the kids are gone, we would clean up, and sign our hours.

The hardest part of my job is making all the kids happy. There are different ages so there are many suggestions for different games. I try my best compromise for everyone.

I love going into work because the kids just brighten my day. They are so entertaining and love being around them. – less
Good learning experience, bad boss, slightly rough work conditions
Engineering Student II (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: relaxing, easy job, good intro to construction, decent pay for a student
Cons: stand outside all day, bad management
I worked with another student under the supervision of an inspector on water main sites. I won't name him but he was very bitter and difficult to work for and due for retirement. The city seems to have a lot of redundant positions and this seemed like one of them. I stood outside all day watching contractors work and writing notes, and standing around – more... basically just making sure contractor would do work as specified by the city. Boss would bug me about not doing anything when there was literally nothing for me to do. I did learn a lot just from watching the watermain construction since I knew nothing about construction going in. We had no field office for most of the summer so the rainy and cold days were sometimes rough. Overall though, it wasn't to terrible. Time went by slow most of the time but at least it wasn't too stressful. – less
Great working environment
Professional Figure Skating Coach (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Coaching children to adults in the day time programs with The City of Ottawa
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 3, 2014
I really enjoy working for the city. But unable to continue in my career due to medical reasons.

1 2 3 4

About City of Ottawa

We offer you a rewarding career opportunity to enhance the quality of life of our whole community. Your work will benefit neighbours, – Read more