City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Fun and Inclusive environment
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
I had a great time with the instructors and kids and learnt a lot form my experience. There were many aspects about the job that made me enjoy the idea of continuing down a path into leadership employment, especially with children, because it allows you to learn responsibility and care giving as well as being flexible and understanding considering we dealt with the very young kids.
Pros
volunteer hours
Fun, flexible summer job
Park Programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2017
The job starts off with a great training weekend where you get to meet many of the new staff you will be working with. You learn how to maintain the pool, how to perform first aid in a pool setting, and how your specific community pool runs. You also learn how to safely work with chemicals (ie. chlorine). The staff and management make working fun, and engaging. You won't feel like you are going to work but rather going to hang out and have fun with that community. One of the hardest parts of the job was standing in heat for long hours, but rotations help with that. Besides seeing how happy the pool and your activities make the children far outways the negative! Plus the hours are very flexible and can work around your schedule.
Pros
fun training weekend and staff events
Great environment outdoor work with facilities on hand
Full-time Parks programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
Working as a parks programmer is great. You work closely with a team of generally 6 or 7 people. management is fantastic and there is a lot of training and making sure you feel confident with the tasks at hand.
Pros
outdoors young atmosphere good hours
Cons
no work if it rains no formal break hours
The recreation cetre in the heart of Ottawa
Utilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 January 2017
Jack Purcell Community Centre was the place I did volunteering work before I got a part-time employment there as a summer job in the year 2008.
I could not complain anything because this place gave me lot of opportunities to get connected with people and lot of fun to work with.
lots of opportunity
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2017
If ever given the chance to work for the City of Ottawa, you should. Any position has great job security and a well-structured management. Most jobs requiring experience pay well. Internal hiring for jobs is the most important perk of working for the city,
Pros
Job security and advancement
Fun place to work with great people
Lifeguard/swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 December 2016
Working as a lifeguard for the City of Ottawa provided me with extensive team working skills as well as building my personal leadership skills. My employers and supervisors were always helpful and always supported me and it was a very fun place to work. The staff were amazing.
Overall good place to work
Roads Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 March 2017
Everyday I would go in at 7, then we would sit and wait for the Zone Supervisor to give us orders of what we were going to be doing tat day. Learned a lot about different machines, and the safety of being around them. Good place to work, everyone was nice.
Pros
The work was not hard.
A fun and enjoyable work environment
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2017
My typical work days involves interacting and playing games with children. I absolutely love this job because I get payed to play. The management of this job is fantastic because it provides me with the time to work while attending school.
Maintaining responsibility for customer safety.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON17 March 2017
Having to stay attentive and make responsible choices to prevent injury is the most important aspect to my job. Dealing with customer service issues and customer service payments and registrations.
fun place productive and great people
Laborour (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 December 2016
great place to build a career, with stability and stable income, you know what to expect every day and you know what you will make every pay , you will never be out of work and never worry about not having money for you family
Pros
great benefits
Cons
repetitive job cycle
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 October 2016
Start it with the city during the summer session. I love it and decide it to stay on for the fall. Depending the pool you work at, it is a little family and teach you how to be confidence on your job. They are very strick on your training has you must stay in shape to be able to do your job well. In services are every months, so if you miss one, you have to find another one to go. The hardest part of the job is to en force the rules. Had to explain even if their child is taking swimming classes, they still need to stay at arms reach has an example (orange bracelet). The program coordinator is there to help you but do what he/she said.

Other then that, free recert and encourage to get more advanced qualification like NLS instructor or so.
Pros
Great staff, supportive, etc...
Cons
Shift depends on senority, if hired in the summer months and want to work in the fall they have to reactivate you manual
Not where I work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
Presently I work at Long term care, at this type of facilities a strong team work is required in order to achieve the maximum results wich are the wellbeing of the residents.
Pros
I can be rewarding
Cons
It can be very tiresome
A great work and great people to work with
Administrative Assistant / Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2016
As a typical day at work, everybody is friendly. Work starts at 8. Everyone is willing to give help whenever its needed. Co-workers are friendly as well willing to help as well. The hardest part was when you have to deliver the work on time and you have to pay attention to details at the same time. I liked that we had the lunch hour where we meet different people from different departments and could chat a little bit about life.
Pros
They pay should be more
Cons
The half an hour lunch was unpaid
Fun, young and pays well
Lifeguard and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 January 2017
Staff are fun, the pay is great considering how young the lifeguarding staff generally are. Staff trainings can be annoying but with a fun group of staff and management, they can be pretty fun.
Great Atmosphere
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON8 March 2017
Management and employees were always in a great mood. Got to be a big influence to kids, which was very rewarding. It was a fun place to work because of the games and constant fun
Great Atmosphere
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
Always a positive atmosphere. Happy customers. Occasional work parties. The bosses where always looking out for the workers.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
long days
gov. environment
Senior Web Developer/Integrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2016
Strong and friendly team environment, up to date with latest technology, environment, Recognition for Hard Work, a fun open concept atmosphere, and filled with passionate people.
Wonderful working place
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2016
Public sector has always been a great place to work. I got wonderful co-workers, seniors and managers. No environment is perfect but it is pretty close to be a perfect. So far so good.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible working hours, Good management
Fun and friendly work environment
Park Supervisor and Park programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2016
I got my first summer job with the city of Ottawa, I've learned english, made life time friends and got many opportunities to grow and learn as a worker and supervisor.
Pros
Friendly, fun job and great time
Cons
late night, too many trainings and long shifts
Teach a variety of swim lessons
Lifeguard/Camp Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2016
As an employee you have to be very attentive and scanning your classes at all times. You're responsible for the lives of those in your classes.

4.4