City of Ottawa

City of Ottawa Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
comfortable place to work, very reliable employer
Fitness instructor and performing arts teacher (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible hours of work
Cons: not enough hours to fil my day
I enjoy my every day work at City of Ottawa. There is a good management and nice facility. There is a good opportunity to get valuable experience and build future career. Currently I am a part-time worker and I think I have enough experience to apply rof a ful-time position.
The job paid well and I had great co-workers!
Part- Time Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 9, 2015
I enjoyed working for The City of Ottawa, unfortunately my hours were cut and I am now seeking other employment.
I was a cleaner, worked all shifts, mostly nights at the pool.
Career Orientated
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Ability to upgrade skills and knowledge to coordinate the best position to ensure longevity in a position and provide quality support to the customer.
Great Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Worked in a team oriented environment. Normal clerical duties. Assisted with project management. Great customer service experience.
Very productive with quality management
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Since I begin the day early each day, starting to work at 6.00 a.m was perfect for me and my lifestyle.I thoroughly enjoyed working for the city of Ottawa
Challenging and dynamic workplace
City Councillor - Kitchissippi Ward (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 1, 2015
As a City Councillor each day held a new challenge, and filled with diverse requirements and projects. As a key decision maker in the City it was critical to understand all the projects affecting the ward I represented as well as City-wide projects like Light Rail, new developments, development of new parks, building new roads or sewers.There was not a day that was not interesting. Although I worked most evenings and weekends at events and meetings, it was an enjoyable and rewarding term of government and I achieved a number of significant accomplishments.
Student Summer Job working outside performing various landscaping duties
Maintenance and Horticulture (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2014
A typical day would include driving to various location sites to perform landscaping duties which for my division included cutting grass on pathways. Some of the most important things I learned while working was a greater understanding and comprehension of the French language, as most of my co-workers spoke french. Another important aspect were the required training programs made available such as occupational work safety, work harassment, and other training programs related. These courses explained work regulations and work hazards. The hardest part of the day was working in somewhat exhaustive heat throughout the summer. The most enjoyable parts of the day was ironically working outside, because being able to spend summer outside while working has its benefits but also its cons.
Large Responsibility for the safety of Others
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great pay, fun and active, work with others in team buliding excercises
Cons: constantly teaching in cold water, chlorine rashes, clean possible vomit, etc (pool follwings)
The job of being a Lifeguard requires

- on going learning and teaching opportunities.

- There is an expectation that each individual is to work as a team in high stress situations

- Weekly Monthly an yearly practice and certify qualifications.

- Learn a lot about life saving, pool maintenance, paper work, community involvement and much more.
Fun, challenging, exciting
Camp Counselor/Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 14, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: short hours (except summers)
Very enjoyable workplace, working with children is extremely fun and rewarding. All the staff are great people and it continues to be a great experience. No two days are the same, and while some children's disputes can be challenging to resolve at times, it gives a deep sense that you're making a difference in their lives.
Management restructure needed
Lifeguard, Instructor, and CSR (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2014
Pros: structure and planning is incredible
Cons: management team is uncooperative within itself
As a lifeguard with the City of Ottawa, I have it relatively easy.

I work at a quiet pool, with a simple task set, and a fair number of swimming lesson blocks.

I really enjoy how structured and precise everything is. There is always a plan for everything, and the answers to any question you may have is just simple to find.

The one thing that I don't necessarily enjoy is the management style. At my pool, the PC's office is located within the lifeguard room, separated by a few filing cabinets and nothing more. The level of micro-managing that occurs is difficult to handle at times.

The pros are numerous. I enjoy teaching higher-level swimming lessons, so I had a few really good blocks of lessons including Swim Kids 8/9/10, and PowerSwim. Teaching these classes is great because the Head Guards provide a strong support and are available as a ready reference whenever you need.

Overall, I've enjoyed my time at the City.
Great job for students; has flexible work hours
Head Lifeguard, Lifeguard, and Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 7, 2014
As a lifeguard with the City of Ottawa, I have learned many valuable skills that can be applied in the workforce. I have learned how to work as a team and how to work with little supervision. As a lifeguard, team work is essential, as the facility is large and many lifeguards are working together to ensure the facility is safe. I also learned advanced first aid skills, included how to operate an AED machine and oxygen tanks.

As a head lifeguard, a typical day includes setting up the facility, ensuring my staff are performing their responsibilities, responding to public relations, opening and closing the cash, closing the facility, and writing daily reports. As a head lifeguard, I would say the hardest part about my job is balancing work and personal life. As the head lifeguard, I am responsible for the entire facility and my staff. This can be very time consuming and I often find it difficult to allow myself personal time and activities while not at work. The most enjoyable part of my job is working in a great community and getting to know the patrons on a personal level.
love it
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 7, 2014
i love that job, learned a lot their.
very helpful, nice employee.
Good work place, stable, good benefit
Systems Developer / Integrator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2014
The work in the public sector is quite different compared to the private sector.
Heavy Duty Technician (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Good management, team-oriented environment. Good benefits package.
Enthusiastic and engaging workplace
After School Program & P.D. Day Camps Coordinator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 2, 2014
The City of Ottawa Recreation and Culture department is a workplace of opportunity. Over the course of 9 years working for the city, I've had the pleasure of working with a variety of co-workers and volunteers. The work environments in recreation are very dynamic, challenging, and rewarding. The most enjoyable part of my jobs has been making people feel happier, safer, and knowing that they are the getting value they want.
A great place overall to work as a summer student
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 28, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: some unpleasant tasks
I really enjoy the camaraderie between all the employees and that they really tried to involve the student even if we are only there for a short amount of time. My bosses have always been very easy-going and made sure that the road work we were doing was safe.
Fun workplace while working with children
Kendo Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 18, 2014
Although it was difficult to get to work as I lived far from the recreation, it was quite enjoyable to play and teach the children who were enthusiastic.
Fun, Exciting, Accomodating
Engineering Assistant III (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 16, 2014
Met a lot of great people and learned a lot while working with the City of Ottawa. Very laid back but professional environment.
FUN!
Rink Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 11, 2014
Pros: hockey
Cons: cold
Great time, better people! I loved getting everyone together playing, and if you enjoy playing hockey and getting paid. I highly reccemond it!
A great learning experience
Electrical Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: lots of time spent outside
Cons: inflexible work hours
A typical day consisted of going out with electricians to repair broken lights and electrical equipment at various parks and recreational facilities all across Ottawa.

1 2 3 4

About City of Ottawa

We offer you a rewarding career opportunity to enhance the quality of life of our whole community. Your work will benefit neighbours, – Read more