City of Ottawa

City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Park Programmer√ Life Guard
programmer /LIFE GUARD (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Great Staff
Cons: Hot weather
Awesome, like i really enjoyed my job i'm hoping to return for more

summers to come. Its an all around fun experience to play with kids

and prepare activities for the community. I couldn't ask for a better

job.
Fun Workplace with family environment
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Free dinners
Cons: No benefits
Great! I loved working at the Sandy Hill Community Centre and I learned many professional skills during my nearly 6 years there. I was part of a large family and we helped each other out.
HARD WORK
Landscaper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Pay was great
Cons: Very hard work
Working with the city of ottawa was a great experience. Hard work from 7 am till 5 pm. Pay was worth the long hours and hard work. Crew was great and so was he enviroment.
Productive and Enjoyable
Finance Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 20, 2015
Pros: On site gym
Cons: Out of Province travelling
A typical day for me at work is logging on to my computer and going through my emails! I list the ones that require immediate attention and are considered a priority. I then listen to my voice messages, respond if possible or gather the information and call back. I also review my Outlook calendar for notifications and meetings booked.

Then it's the "to do folder" I created. Ths is to list any outstanding tasks to complete . It's a pleasure to put a red line through tasks that are completed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting work done in a timely manner. I plan in advance and organize my day well. Of course, there are always surprises and the expectation to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours.

The hardest part of the job, is getting external or internal responses to enquires. I have no control in getting replies. However I ensure I do follow-ups or always have an alternative person to contact.

My co-workers are great. We work as a team. Assisting each other in all aspects of the job. For days off or vacation time, we act as the cover off for that person. It's important to work well with colleagues, to share work load and be a source of knowledge that I am willing to share.

If it's a quiet day, I do my filing!
Fun workplace with good responsibilites.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Nepean, ONMay 29, 2015
Pros: good hours
- Usually busy and fast paced work environment.
- I enjoyed working with people and getting their mail and parcels to the correct location in a reasonable time frame.
- I learned how to handle mail and use a machine to stamp outgoing mail.
- I learned how to operate a loading dock.

Typical day at work:
-2 mail runs
-Helping customers with internal and outgoing mail and parcels
-Help receive a truck and let them unload and direct them to right floor and section.
Great place to work with lots of advancement and training if you want it.
Job Planner Tech. (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: There's a full gym on site and we get a free bus pass
Cons: Shift work
A typical day here is very stressful for we provide public transit for the city of Ottawa, And making service can be tough we have mechanical issues and driver issues and weather issues to contend with, Just to mention a few.
Co-workers are great and the hardest part of the job is that you can't please everybody and that you can't fix everything as much as you try and as much as you want to, It gets frustrating.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you were part of a team that did a job well done and made service and no one was injured and everyone had a great shift.
Fun, Exciting, High Pace environment!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: This workplace feels so rewarding
Cons: Hard to advance/get a higher title job within the City.
I've been with the City part time for 8 years, at the same complex!
The daily interactions with clients, is the best part of the job.
The senior clientèle are the best part of my day.
Great place for a summer job
PARK PROGRAMMER (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2015
I loved every minute of working for Parks and the City. I'm sad to go. This job taught me patience and that working towards the happiness of others makes me happy.
It was nice
Camp Counsellor and Program Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 7, 2015
A nice as a startup job. I liked it but I am looking forward to more fashion or fitness related job. I learned a lot there and my Training helped me a lot to deal with kids and people.
Fun exciting workplace
Park Programmer/Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2015
Over see the workings of City of Ottawa Parks. Open the wading pool. Clean up the wading pool area, park and structure areas. Duties include; hosing pool, raking sand area, picking up garbage, swept pool and surrounding areas. Guarding pool, ensuring all the children in the wading pool were safely playing and having an enjoyable time. Working with staff, supervising staff, filling in schedules, ensuring pay sheet was filled out, as well as daily log. Meeting new children that come to park every day was exciting, creating a friendship and relationship with the patrons on the park. Sometimes challenging with some children on the park, but main thing was to keep patrons on the park happy and ensure that they are safe while at the park.
Fun, outdoor workplace with a pool!
Park Programmer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great Hours
Cons: Weather conditions effect if you work that day.
Park Programmer is a awesome job for some one who loves and enjoys kids, the outdoors, and being creative. Your day consists of cleaning up the park in the morning and filling up the pool.Then life guarding and creating fun activities for the kids to enjoy. Then ending the day with emptying the pool before locking up for the day. Overall great job to spend your summer working and you get to meet a lot of great people as well!
Welcoming workplace, caring group of employees
Summer Camp Counsellor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 14, 2015
Great work environment. Attended programs at this facility when I was younger. Many senior staff members. Close knit employees. Keep client's best interests in mind.
Professional Work Place helps me to learn. Friendly People around were i feel comfortable asking whoever whenever i need assistance
Civil Inspector (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2015
Pros: getting the employees involved in companies accomplishments
1) A typical day of work is consisting on inspecting the work implemented at site, helping contractors in accelerating their work as much as possible within specification and drawings.

2) I have learned many skills such as MS Project software, reading construction drawings in details.

3) Management people at my work are very friendly people, i can ask them any question anytime in order to clarify my information. They Keep asking if i have any problems basically they are very close to their employees.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 23, 2015
The City of Ottawa is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking for a job in a fun, and dynamic setting with great staff.
program leader
Sport Program Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 17, 2015
Cons: low pay
• Developing and implementing the program
• Planning, monitoring and evaluating the direct involvement of the program
• Site coordination, supervision, direction of participant, cash handling, customer services, risk management procedures and general administrative tasks.
• Work collaboratively with other staff to deliver efficient and effective services
After school program
Program Leader (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: short shifts
The day begins with the children coming to the facility. We then set up the activities for the day during their free play. It may be a craft, baking or a game. We organize the activity so that every thing runs smoothly. I've learnt that children are very demanding and require a lot of attention and management. My co-workers are great and it is easy to work with them. The hardest part of the job would be the amount of attention that each child requires. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see the children smiling and loving the program so much that they don't want to leave.
Safe and Stable Work Environment
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2015
Working for the City of Ottawa is rewarding and a great place to build a career.The city offers training to build on new skills to advance within the corporation.
Daily routine
Administrator in Records Department (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: stressed clients
Assisted the workers at social services for clients files or records.
Entered information into the database, filed away client files when workers was done with file. Answered client questions and concerns. Worked with a great team of people
Lifeguarded the pool and played with children
Park Programmer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at work including guarding the pool while the children were at play, and then when you rotated with your co-workers, you played with the children in the field.
comfortable place to work, very reliable employer
Fitness instructor and performing arts teacher (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible hours of work
Cons: not enough hours to fil my day
I enjoy my every day work at City of Ottawa. There is a good management and nice facility. There is a good opportunity to get valuable experience and build future career. Currently I am a part-time worker and I think I have enough experience to apply rof a ful-time position.