City of Ottawa

City of Ottawa Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun exciting workplace
Park Programmer/Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2015
Over see the workings of City of Ottawa Parks. Open the wading pool. Clean up the wading pool area, park and structure areas. Duties include; hosing pool, raking sand area, picking up garbage, swept pool and surrounding areas. Guarding pool, ensuring all the children in the wading pool were safely playing and having an enjoyable time. Working with staff, supervising staff, filling in schedules, ensuring pay sheet was filled out, as well as daily log. Meeting new children that come to park every day was exciting, creating a friendship and relationship with the patrons on the park. Sometimes challenging with some children on the park, but main thing was to keep patrons on the park happy and ensure that they are safe while at the park.
Fun, outdoor workplace with a pool!
Park Programmer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great Hours
Cons: Weather conditions effect if you work that day.
Park Programmer is a awesome job for some one who loves and enjoys kids, the outdoors, and being creative. Your day consists of cleaning up the park in the morning and filling up the pool.Then life guarding and creating fun activities for the kids to enjoy. Then ending the day with emptying the pool before locking up for the day. Overall great job to spend your summer working and you get to meet a lot of great people as well!
Welcoming workplace, caring group of employees
Summer Camp Counsellor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 14, 2015
Great work environment. Attended programs at this facility when I was younger. Many senior staff members. Close knit employees. Keep client's best interests in mind.
Professional Work Place helps me to learn. Friendly People around were i feel comfortable asking whoever whenever i need assistance
Civil Inspector (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2015
Pros: getting the employees involved in companies accomplishments
1) A typical day of work is consisting on inspecting the work implemented at site, helping contractors in accelerating their work as much as possible within specification and drawings.

2) I have learned many skills such as MS Project software, reading construction drawings in details.

3) Management people at my work are very friendly people, i can ask them any question anytime in order to clarify my information. They Keep asking if i have any problems basically they are very close to their employees.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 23, 2015
The City of Ottawa is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking for a job in a fun, and dynamic setting with great staff.
program leader
Sport Program Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 17, 2015
Cons: low pay
• Developing and implementing the program
• Planning, monitoring and evaluating the direct involvement of the program
• Site coordination, supervision, direction of participant, cash handling, customer services, risk management procedures and general administrative tasks.
• Work collaboratively with other staff to deliver efficient and effective services
After school program
Program Leader (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: short shifts
The day begins with the children coming to the facility. We then set up the activities for the day during their free play. It may be a craft, baking or a game. We organize the activity so that every thing runs smoothly. I've learnt that children are very demanding and require a lot of attention and management. My co-workers are great and it is easy to work with them. The hardest part of the job would be the amount of attention that each child requires. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see the children smiling and loving the program so much that they don't want to leave.
Safe and Stable Work Environment
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2015
Working for the City of Ottawa is rewarding and a great place to build a career.The city offers training to build on new skills to advance within the corporation.
Daily routine
Administrator in Records Department (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: stressed clients
Assisted the workers at social services for clients files or records.
Entered information into the database, filed away client files when workers was done with file. Answered client questions and concerns. Worked with a great team of people
Lifeguarded the pool and played with children
Park Programmer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at work including guarding the pool while the children were at play, and then when you rotated with your co-workers, you played with the children in the field.
comfortable place to work, very reliable employer
Fitness instructor and performing arts teacher (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible hours of work
Cons: not enough hours to fil my day
I enjoy my every day work at City of Ottawa. There is a good management and nice facility. There is a good opportunity to get valuable experience and build future career. Currently I am a part-time worker and I think I have enough experience to apply rof a ful-time position.
The job paid well and I had great co-workers!
Part- Time Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 9, 2015
I enjoyed working for The City of Ottawa, unfortunately my hours were cut and I am now seeking other employment.
I was a cleaner, worked all shifts, mostly nights at the pool.
Career Orientated
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Ability to upgrade skills and knowledge to coordinate the best position to ensure longevity in a position and provide quality support to the customer.
Great Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Worked in a team oriented environment. Normal clerical duties. Assisted with project management. Great customer service experience.
Very productive with quality management
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Since I begin the day early each day, starting to work at 6.00 a.m was perfect for me and my lifestyle.I thoroughly enjoyed working for the city of Ottawa
Challenging and dynamic workplace
City Councillor - Kitchissippi Ward (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 1, 2015
As a City Councillor each day held a new challenge, and filled with diverse requirements and projects. As a key decision maker in the City it was critical to understand all the projects affecting the ward I represented as well as City-wide projects like Light Rail, new developments, development of new parks, building new roads or sewers.There was not a day that was not interesting. Although I worked most evenings and weekends at events and meetings, it was an enjoyable and rewarding term of government and I achieved a number of significant accomplishments.
Student Summer Job working outside performing various landscaping duties
Maintenance and Horticulture (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2014
A typical day would include driving to various location sites to perform landscaping duties which for my division included cutting grass on pathways. Some of the most important things I learned while working was a greater understanding and comprehension of the French language, as most of my co-workers spoke french. Another important aspect were the required training programs made available such as occupational work safety, work harassment, and other training programs related. These courses explained work regulations and work hazards. The hardest part of the day was working in somewhat exhaustive heat throughout the summer. The most enjoyable parts of the day was ironically working outside, because being able to spend summer outside while working has its benefits but also its cons.
Large Responsibility for the safety of Others
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great pay, fun and active, work with others in team buliding excercises
Cons: constantly teaching in cold water, chlorine rashes, clean possible vomit, etc (pool follwings)
The job of being a Lifeguard requires

- on going learning and teaching opportunities.

- There is an expectation that each individual is to work as a team in high stress situations

- Weekly Monthly an yearly practice and certify qualifications.

- Learn a lot about life saving, pool maintenance, paper work, community involvement and much more.
Fun, challenging, exciting
Camp Counselor/Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 14, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: short hours (except summers)
Very enjoyable workplace, working with children is extremely fun and rewarding. All the staff are great people and it continues to be a great experience. No two days are the same, and while some children's disputes can be challenging to resolve at times, it gives a deep sense that you're making a difference in their lives.
Management restructure needed
Lifeguard, Instructor, and CSR (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2014
Pros: structure and planning is incredible
Cons: management team is uncooperative within itself
As a lifeguard with the City of Ottawa, I have it relatively easy.

I work at a quiet pool, with a simple task set, and a fair number of swimming lesson blocks.

I really enjoy how structured and precise everything is. There is always a plan for everything, and the answers to any question you may have is just simple to find.

The one thing that I don't necessarily enjoy is the management style. At my pool, the PC's office is located within the lifeguard room, separated by a few filing cabinets and nothing more. The level of micro-managing that occurs is difficult to handle at times.

The pros are numerous. I enjoy teaching higher-level swimming lessons, so I had a few really good blocks of lessons including Swim Kids 8/9/10, and PowerSwim. Teaching these classes is great because the Head Guards provide a strong support and are available as a ready reference whenever you need.

Overall, I've enjoyed my time at the City.

1 2 3 4

About City of Ottawa

We offer you a rewarding career opportunity to enhance the quality of life of our whole community. Your work will benefit neighbours, – Read more