City of Ottawa Employee Reviews in Canada

great place
Environment/Sustainability (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was an amazing job financially for an entry level position! I made great money and the benefits were nice.Management is good they always help out and coworkers are friendly and helpful the hardest part is when we are shorthanded and busy.
Changing environment - multi tasking - fun - good people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 13, 2015
Very much a team player environment. Energetic, positive employees and management. Supportive, encouraging coordinators. Opportunity to move within the City of Ottawa organization.
Pros
Fitness memberships
Cons
Part time - no benefits
A great work and great people to work with
Administrative Assistant / Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
As a typical day at work, everybody is friendly. Work starts at 8. Everyone is willing to give help whenever its needed. Co-workers are friendly as well willing to help as well. The hardest part was when you have to deliver the work on time and you have to pay attention to details at the same time. I liked that we had the lunch hour where we meet different people from different departments and could chat a little bit about life.
Pros
They pay should be more
Cons
The half an hour lunch was unpaid
Energetic and fun place to work with a lot of really motivated and friendly staff
Aquatic Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 13, 2015
Really great opportunity as a starter job. I enjoyed my time there a lot, it was great to work with a staff compliment who were really committed to their workplace and enjoy what they do. I really appreciated the opportunity for advancement, and I was able to progress into a supervisory role. I've learned a lot about team management in this position.
Pros
great hours, very friendly coworkers, supportive management team, opportunity for advancement
Cons
very few breaks, bureaucratic
Busy Work Enviroment
Maintenance Helper inside a recreation center (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2016
- Busy morning and weekend shifts.
- Learned how to do ice maintenance, pool maintenance, work on a tight schedule and manage a large facility.
- Under good management and worked with a great team.
- Hardest part was keeping up on a constantly changing schedule and maintaining/repairing the numerous vacinities within the facility.
- Most enjoyable part was working with your fellow employees.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Communication
Great staff , very friendly and welcoming , great social place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Always a fun time working, great staff and cliental around. Always learning new things in the fitness world and of the job its self. Management for the department is amazing , great boss. Co-workers are great and always happy. Hardest part is dealing with upper management . Most enjoyable part if actually working with the team.
Pros
get to workout
Cons
upper management isnt great and pay
Fun Workplace with family environment
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 16, 2015
Great! I loved working at the Sandy Hill Community Centre and I learned many professional skills during my nearly 6 years there. I was part of a large family and we helped each other out.
Pros
Free dinners
Cons
No benefits
Fun and friendly work environment
Park Supervisor and Park programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 7, 2016
I got my first summer job with the city of Ottawa, I've learned english, made life time friends and got many opportunities to grow and learn as a worker and supervisor.
Pros
Friendly, fun job and great time
Cons
late night, too many trainings and long shifts
Good place for stable work
Engineering Student III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Once you're in the City of Ottawa, it is difficult to be gotten rid of. Opportunity for advancement is sometimes there but it is difficult to get in since the starting positions (students) are often given to family members or recommendations by employees.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Union culture (difficult to get rid of bad workers, poor opinion of doing work, etc)
Recognized for my experience I appreciated the opportunity given to work in place of a city employee on parental leave.
DESIGNER / SIGN MAKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros
good work environment
Cons
my placement did not last because it was not a permanent job
Very good job that only suffers due to personal and City politics
Student Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Management and Job Culture are usually oriented based on the political motives of the group (i.e. cyclist friendly vs. vehicle friendly for example). A lot is not accomplished because of this except when there is a clear mandate from Council to go one way or the other.
A Friendly Workplace
Maintenance Helper, Horticulture (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
The shift would start with our crew leader planning our route for the day. We'd fuel up the machines and the truck before leaving the yard. We'd cut our parks and sports fields until the end of the shift.

My supervisor very knowledgeable. He took hands-on approach when training us on the lawn tractors and mowers.

The work environment was friendly and upbeat, it made everyday enjoyable. The full-time workers were great, they kept all the summer students informed and smiling all day.
Pros
The work atmosphere was very upbeat and friendly.
Cons
The shift started at 7:00 am.
Great environment
Camp Coucellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 7, 2016
I worked with special needs individuals and gained lots of real life experience with the City of Ottawa. This experience is needed for my future long term career with special needs individuals as a Personal Support Worker.
Pros
Got paid to have fun
Fun but busy workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 3, 2016
helping my worker to organize tasks, prepare meetings, organize the office procedures and make calls to book appointments or to remind clients of their appointements
Given a lot of opportunity, only positive work experiences at the City of Ottawa
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 16, 2015
A typical day at this occupation entailed many different aspects. I worked in teams and individually to trouble shoot and complete tasks. I had to learn the building systems (operating, troubleshooting etc) to be granted the opportunity of supervisory roles when needed. I was given all the training necessary on issues such as health and safety, working with dangerous materials, working with equipment, and providing customer service. My supervisor is great to work under because he provides hands on training and leads the team from the front. The most enjoyable part of working here are the people I work with, who not only make the job fun, but makes being there enjoyable.
Amazing Place to work
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
- Great people
- Great Culture
- Lots of Employee Growth
- Many Opportunities
- Service Excellence
- Drive to improve the everyday services
- Great to train the Staff
Hard for part-time employees to find full time work
Fitness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Part time employees are not included in any training that is offered that would help them move into a full-time position.

Also, any full-time opportunities that arise are difficult to apply for if you are a part-time employee.

I feel that part-time employees could be treated more fairly and with more respect.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Exclusion from trainings and staff events.
Fun workplace
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2016
Nothing bad to say here. Easy to get along with co-workers/supervisors. Kids and youth are fun to supervise for the most part.
Pros
Co-workers, trips
Fun busy
Customer Service Representative - Ottawa South (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 1, 2016
Busy and much to learn, computer system, policies, added courses, client services, programs and registrations for various courses and memberships and classes in the city.
Pros
Great people, great clients
Cons
Not enough hrs
Student Summer Job working outside performing various landscaping duties
Maintenance and Horticulture (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2014
A typical day would include driving to various location sites to perform landscaping duties which for my division included cutting grass on pathways. Some of the most important things I learned while working was a greater understanding and comprehension of the French language, as most of my co-workers spoke french. Another important aspect were the required training programs made available such as occupational work safety, work harassment, and other training programs related. These courses explained work regulations and work hazards. The hardest part of the day was working in somewhat exhaustive heat throughout the summer. The most enjoyable parts of the day was ironically working outside, because being able to spend summer outside while working has its benefits but also its cons.

4.3