City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Teach a variety of swim lessons
Lifeguard/Camp Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2016
As an employee you have to be very attentive and scanning your classes at all times. You're responsible for the lives of those in your classes.
gov. environment
Senior Web Developer/Integrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2016
Strong and friendly team environment, up to date with latest technology, environment, Recognition for Hard Work, a fun open concept atmosphere, and filled with passionate people.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 October 2016
Start it with the city during the summer session. I love it and decide it to stay on for the fall. Depending the pool you work at, it is a little family and teach you how to be confidence on your job. They are very strick on your training has you must stay in shape to be able to do your job well. In services are every months, so if you miss one, you have to find another one to go. The hardest part of the job is to en force the rules. Had to explain even if their child is taking swimming classes, they still need to stay at arms reach has an example (orange bracelet). The program coordinator is there to help you but do what he/she said.

Other then that, free recert and encourage to get more advanced qualification like NLS instructor or so.
Pros
Great staff, supportive, etc...
Cons
Shift depends on senority, if hired in the summer months and want to work in the fall they have to reactivate you manual
Wonderful working place
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2016
Public sector has always been a great place to work. I got wonderful co-workers, seniors and managers. No environment is perfect but it is pretty close to be a perfect. So far so good.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible working hours, Good management
Productive work inviroment
Sakting addentent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa2 September 2016
I to work in an environment where I can get my work done but have in an environment where it is relaxed I like to finish my work by doing one thing at a time. I lie to feel productive in the work and support my fellow co-workers.
Amazing Place to work
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2016
- Great people
- Great Culture
- Lots of Employee Growth
- Many Opportunities
- Service Excellence
- Drive to improve the everyday services
- Great to train the Staff
A great work and great people to work with
Administrative Assistant / Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2016
As a typical day at work, everybody is friendly. Work starts at 8. Everyone is willing to give help whenever its needed. Co-workers are friendly as well willing to help as well. The hardest part was when you have to deliver the work on time and you have to pay attention to details at the same time. I liked that we had the lunch hour where we meet different people from different departments and could chat a little bit about life.
Pros
They pay should be more
Cons
The half an hour lunch was unpaid
Fun and friendly work environment
Park Supervisor and Park programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2016
I got my first summer job with the city of Ottawa, I've learned english, made life time friends and got many opportunities to grow and learn as a worker and supervisor.
Pros
Friendly, fun job and great time
Cons
late night, too many trainings and long shifts
Fun Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2016
I would rather you enjoy the experience on your own then me tell you. Great salary and benefits for a life long experience.
Fun but busy workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
helping my worker to organize tasks, prepare meetings, organize the office procedures and make calls to book appointments or to remind clients of their appointements
Making a difference at home
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 August 2016
It was lovely to work for our municipal government and learn how the corporate business services branch help the people of Ottawa
Fun workplace
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2016
Nothing bad to say here. Easy to get along with co-workers/supervisors. Kids and youth are fun to supervise for the most part.
Pros
Co-workers, trips
interesting
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2016
Best Job I have worked, work was different everyday so it leaves you with excitement for the next day.
Great environment
Camp Coucellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2016
I worked with special needs individuals and gained lots of real life experience with the City of Ottawa. This experience is needed for my future long term career with special needs individuals as a Personal Support Worker.
Pros
Got paid to have fun
Gentle staff
Lifeguard/ Life-instructor (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ON2 May 2016
Fantastic treatment of staff, and very gentle and clear on the roles you need to be doing. On top of the training's you need to complete, and supportive for more qualifications.
Fun busy
Customer Service Representative - Ottawa South (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2016
Busy and much to learn, computer system, policies, added courses, client services, programs and registrations for various courses and memberships and classes in the city.
Pros
Great people, great clients
Cons
Not enough hrs
Very good job that only suffers due to personal and City politics
Student Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
Management and Job Culture are usually oriented based on the political motives of the group (i.e. cyclist friendly vs. vehicle friendly for example). A lot is not accomplished because of this except when there is a clear mandate from Council to go one way or the other.
Fun and respectful work environment
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
Working as a camp coordinator for the City of Ottawa was a great experience. I was able to leave work with a new perspective on social relations and work responsibilities.
Good place for stable work
Engineering Student III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2016
Once you're in the City of Ottawa, it is difficult to be gotten rid of. Opportunity for advancement is sometimes there but it is difficult to get in since the starting positions (students) are often given to family members or recommendations by employees.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Union culture (difficult to get rid of bad workers, poor opinion of doing work, etc)
Busy Work Enviroment
Maintenance Helper inside a recreation center (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 April 2016
- Busy morning and weekend shifts.
- Learned how to do ice maintenance, pool maintenance, work on a tight schedule and manage a large facility.
- Under good management and worked with a great team.
- Hardest part was keeping up on a constantly changing schedule and maintaining/repairing the numerous vacinities within the facility.
- Most enjoyable part was working with your fellow employees.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Communication

4.3