City of Ottawa Employee Reviews in Canada

- Great Culture
- Lots of Employee Growth
- Many Opportunities
- Service Excellence
- Drive to improve the everyday services
- Great to train the Staff
A great work and great people to work with
Administrative Assistant / Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
As a typical day at work, everybody is friendly. Work starts at 8. Everyone is willing to give help whenever its needed. Co-workers are friendly as well willing to help as well. The hardest part was when you have to deliver the work on time and you have to pay attention to details at the same time. I liked that we had the lunch hour where we meet different people from different departments and could chat a little bit about life.
Pros
They pay should be more
Cons
The half an hour lunch was unpaid
Fun and friendly work environment
Park Supervisor and Park programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 7, 2016
I got my first summer job with the city of Ottawa, I've learned english, made life time friends and got many opportunities to grow and learn as a worker and supervisor.
Pros
Friendly, fun job and great time
Cons
late night, too many trainings and long shifts
Fun Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2016
I would rather you enjoy the experience on your own then me tell you. Great salary and benefits for a life long experience.
Fun but busy workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 3, 2016
helping my worker to organize tasks, prepare meetings, organize the office procedures and make calls to book appointments or to remind clients of their appointements
Making a difference at home
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2016
It was lovely to work for our municipal government and learn how the corporate business services branch help the people of Ottawa
Fun workplace
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2016
Nothing bad to say here. Easy to get along with co-workers/supervisors. Kids and youth are fun to supervise for the most part.
Pros
Co-workers, trips
interesting
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 21, 2016
Best Job I have worked, work was different everyday so it leaves you with excitement for the next day.
Great environment
Camp Coucellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 7, 2016
I worked with special needs individuals and gained lots of real life experience with the City of Ottawa. This experience is needed for my future long term career with special needs individuals as a Personal Support Worker.
Pros
Got paid to have fun
Gentle staff
Lifeguard/ Life-instructor (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ONMay 2, 2016
Fantastic treatment of staff, and very gentle and clear on the roles you need to be doing. On top of the training's you need to complete, and supportive for more qualifications.
Fun busy
Customer Service Representative - Ottawa South (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 1, 2016
Busy and much to learn, computer system, policies, added courses, client services, programs and registrations for various courses and memberships and classes in the city.
Pros
Great people, great clients
Cons
Not enough hrs
Very good job that only suffers due to personal and City politics
Student Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Management and Job Culture are usually oriented based on the political motives of the group (i.e. cyclist friendly vs. vehicle friendly for example). A lot is not accomplished because of this except when there is a clear mandate from Council to go one way or the other.
Fun and respectful work environment
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Working as a camp coordinator for the City of Ottawa was a great experience. I was able to leave work with a new perspective on social relations and work responsibilities.
Good place for stable work
Engineering Student III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Once you're in the City of Ottawa, it is difficult to be gotten rid of. Opportunity for advancement is sometimes there but it is difficult to get in since the starting positions (students) are often given to family members or recommendations by employees.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Union culture (difficult to get rid of bad workers, poor opinion of doing work, etc)
Busy Work Enviroment
Maintenance Helper inside a recreation center (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2016
- Busy morning and weekend shifts.
- Learned how to do ice maintenance, pool maintenance, work on a tight schedule and manage a large facility.
- Under good management and worked with a great team.
- Hardest part was keeping up on a constantly changing schedule and maintaining/repairing the numerous vacinities within the facility.
- Most enjoyable part was working with your fellow employees.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Communication
Recognized for my experience I appreciated the opportunity given to work in place of a city employee on parental leave.
DESIGNER / SIGN MAKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros
good work environment
Cons
my placement did not last because it was not a permanent job
great place
Environment/Sustainability (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was an amazing job financially for an entry level position! I made great money and the benefits were nice.Management is good they always help out and coworkers are friendly and helpful the hardest part is when we are shorthanded and busy.
productive
Parking Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2016
customer relations such as dispute management, professionalism, interpersonal skills, effective communication skills.
Hard for part-time employees to find full time work
Fitness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Part time employees are not included in any training that is offered that would help them move into a full-time position.

Also, any full-time opportunities that arise are difficult to apply for if you are a part-time employee.

I feel that part-time employees could be treated more fairly and with more respect.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Exclusion from trainings and staff events.
A Friendly Workplace
Maintenance Helper, Horticulture (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
The shift would start with our crew leader planning our route for the day. We'd fuel up the machines and the truck before leaving the yard. We'd cut our parks and sports fields until the end of the shift.

My supervisor very knowledgeable. He took hands-on approach when training us on the lawn tractors and mowers.

The work environment was friendly and upbeat, it made everyday enjoyable. The full-time workers were great, they kept all the summer students informed and smiling all day.
Pros
The work atmosphere was very upbeat and friendly.
Cons
The shift started at 7:00 am.

4.3