City of Ottawa Employee Reviews in Canada

Good place for stable work
Engineering Student III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Once you're in the City of Ottawa, it is difficult to be gotten rid of. Opportunity for advancement is sometimes there but it is difficult to get in since the starting positions (students) are often given to family members or recommendations by employees.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Union culture (difficult to get rid of bad workers, poor opinion of doing work, etc)
Busy Work Enviroment
Maintenance Helper inside a recreation center (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2016
- Busy morning and weekend shifts.
- Learned how to do ice maintenance, pool maintenance, work on a tight schedule and manage a large facility.
- Under good management and worked with a great team.
- Hardest part was keeping up on a constantly changing schedule and maintaining/repairing the numerous vacinities within the facility.
- Most enjoyable part was working with your fellow employees.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Communication
Recognized for my experience I appreciated the opportunity given to work in place of a city employee on parental leave.
DESIGNER / SIGN MAKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros
good work environment
Cons
my placement did not last because it was not a permanent job
great place
Environment/Sustainability (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was an amazing job financially for an entry level position! I made great money and the benefits were nice.Management is good they always help out and coworkers are friendly and helpful the hardest part is when we are shorthanded and busy.
productive
Parking Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2016
customer relations such as dispute management, professionalism, interpersonal skills, effective communication skills.
Hard for part-time employees to find full time work
Fitness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Part time employees are not included in any training that is offered that would help them move into a full-time position.

Also, any full-time opportunities that arise are difficult to apply for if you are a part-time employee.

I feel that part-time employees could be treated more fairly and with more respect.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Exclusion from trainings and staff events.
A Friendly Workplace
Maintenance Helper, Horticulture (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
The shift would start with our crew leader planning our route for the day. We'd fuel up the machines and the truck before leaving the yard. We'd cut our parks and sports fields until the end of the shift.

My supervisor very knowledgeable. He took hands-on approach when training us on the lawn tractors and mowers.

The work environment was friendly and upbeat, it made everyday enjoyable. The full-time workers were great, they kept all the summer students informed and smiling all day.
Pros
The work atmosphere was very upbeat and friendly.
Cons
The shift started at 7:00 am.
Great staff , very friendly and welcoming , great social place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Always a fun time working, great staff and cliental around. Always learning new things in the fitness world and of the job its self. Management for the department is amazing , great boss. Co-workers are great and always happy. Hardest part is dealing with upper management . Most enjoyable part if actually working with the team.
Pros
get to workout
Cons
upper management isnt great and pay
fun place to work
Instructor in special needs (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
learn to be patient, more understanding. Its a place where you get a reality check make you love your job more and more. You are providing care to another human being. And while you are doing it, you are doing with love, patient, tenderness.
the hardest part of the Job is not to get attach emotionally for me because I am very emotional.
Great experience
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 30, 2015
I truly grounding experience with immense feelings of gratitude and satisfaction. Definitely a memorable experience.
Awesome place to work
Head Aquatic Supervisor/ Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 20, 2015
Great hours, great pay, team environment, simple tasks, trainings to keep you sharp. The management is very friendly, helpful, and approachable
Pros
many breaks
Cons
Long periods standing
Given a lot of opportunity, only positive work experiences at the City of Ottawa
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 16, 2015
A typical day at this occupation entailed many different aspects. I worked in teams and individually to trouble shoot and complete tasks. I had to learn the building systems (operating, troubleshooting etc) to be granted the opportunity of supervisory roles when needed. I was given all the training necessary on issues such as health and safety, working with dangerous materials, working with equipment, and providing customer service. My supervisor is great to work under because he provides hands on training and leads the team from the front. The most enjoyable part of working here are the people I work with, who not only make the job fun, but makes being there enjoyable.
Excellent Career path
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2015
The give you all the resources yo need to improve and better yourself so you can succeed into a successful career with the options of moving from department to department
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Hard working, and always staying positive with my self and others around me.
Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2015
Was essentially a student inspector, overseeing various projects in construction, and also complete daily dairies of the completed work.
Pros
Great Work Experience
Cons
Low Pay
Energetic and fun place to work with a lot of really motivated and friendly staff
Aquatic Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 13, 2015
Really great opportunity as a starter job. I enjoyed my time there a lot, it was great to work with a staff compliment who were really committed to their workplace and enjoy what they do. I really appreciated the opportunity for advancement, and I was able to progress into a supervisory role. I've learned a lot about team management in this position.
Pros
great hours, very friendly coworkers, supportive management team, opportunity for advancement
Cons
very few breaks, bureaucratic
Fun but unfortunately contract
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2015
This was a contract position. I learned the differences between private and public sector positions. I was fortunate to have great co-workers. It definitely makes work more enjoyable.
Changing environment - multi tasking - fun - good people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 13, 2015
Very much a team player environment. Energetic, positive employees and management. Supportive, encouraging coordinators. Opportunity to move within the City of Ottawa organization.
Pros
Fitness memberships
Cons
Part time - no benefits
Healthy work environment and great staff
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at work includes opening the facility, greeting members into the facility, answering phones. Addressing any question and registering clients in our programs. Front line work dealing with customers and cashier work. I learned to always have a positive attitude while working and to do my best. The management was fantastic, very easy to work with and accommodating to our school schedule. My co-workers were great and now some of my good friends. The hardest part of the job would be getting to know the City of Ottawa computer operating system, but it didn't take me long to get it! The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing and working with many different people and interacting with them.
Great experience for students
Summer Student Senior Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Got to experience an office setting and duties for the first time, communicated daily with city councillor's, analyzed and formatted data, programmed and installed collection boards.
Awesome work environment, extremely flexible for a student. Really immersed me into the community in which I was living.
RSS Skating School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2015
I had an amazing experience working with the city, everyone I encountered were very professional and more than helpful in helping me reach the next level. I learned and developed many new skills during my stint within the city. I'm extremely grateful to have had this opportunity while attending university in Ottawa.
Pros
meet new people everyday and offered a competitive pay rate
Cons
hours were a little scattered even though they were flexible

4.3