City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

This is somewhat tedious
Full Time Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2017
The City of Ottawa is generally a depressing place to work. The majority of the departments are filled with disinterested government workers looking to grow the size of their department. There is essentially no sense of purpose in the management and the students generally consider the entire process as a joke. Although The hours and pay was good, I can't help but feel guilty wasting taxpayers money in a clearly unproductive sector.

Cut the student program, have students work in the private sector in the summer and actually accomplish something. I feel dirty just thinking about it.
Pros
Easy, good pay
Cons
apathetic management
I felt a disconnect from management to employees
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2017
You are just an employee number. I found a very large disconnect from management down to the frontline workers. Management has really no idea of what the job of an Operator is.
Fun and awesome
Maintenance Helper IV (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
I've been with the city of Ottawa for 2 years now and starting on my 3rd. Each year I come back it just keeps getting better. It's a full-time job, but it's definitely worth it.
Great work place
Senior Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2017
I have worked for the City of Ottawa for two years. It is a great place to work because of the steady hours and great employees. I really enjoyed working within the traffic program and I have learned very much.
Program Manager Recruitment and Staffing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2017
Focused on new programs and initiatives to develop employees including but not limited to language training, employee mentorship, training in technical areas. The City offers a wide range of career choices in several disciplines and as such there is always the potential to switch careers.
Good place to volunteer
Volunteer Assistant Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2017
I enjoyed volunteering at the Cyrville Community Centre. The staff were encouraging and understanding and campers were great to work with. I would recommend it to others.
Well organized and enjoyable.
Aquatics Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
My experience working for the City of Ottawa has been quite beneficial. They incorporate many opportunities and I have learned many skills while working for the City of Ottawa. They have prepared me well with trainings and additional information about my job. Overall, I would recommend working with the City of Ottawa.
Pros
Paid training and realistic expected work hours.
City of Ottawa is a satisfactory employer and donor
Outdoor Rink Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
I worked for the City of Ottawa as a rink supervisor under the authority of a community leader. The City of Ottawa provided the tools necessary and helped to organize both community events and was appreciative of our work in the community. As an employee of Dovercourt Recreation Centre, the city provided much of the summer camps funding and helped to shape program creation. As far of supervision or direct involvement, I understand the city provided the funds and requirements, but allowed us the operational flexibility to program our own camps to cater to our clientele. In conclusion, the City has been a fine employer and patron.
Pros
Flexible work hours, knowledgeable program staff
Cons
Low wages for contract work
Fun place to work
Acting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
Good place to work in the summer time. I have great respect for the city of ottawa they treat everyone fairly and honestly and their expectations are always clear.
Pros
Working Outside
Cons
City of Ottawa is a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2017
Gained valuable experience in the customer service industry in the public sector. Developed problem solving skills, multitasking skills and customer relations skills.
Nice People
GIS Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
The workplace is incredibly friendly, everyone is happy and willing to pass down years of knowledge and experience with new and student employees. Their GIS department is interesting and it was fun getting to work with all the data in their Enterprise Databases.
Wonderul community and supportive management
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2017
A typical at work involve teaching classes and then guarding a free swim. I was always learning at work and improving my swimming skills. The workplace culture was very positive and supportive.
A students dream job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2017
Best job any kid in high school who plays hockey could ask for. I supervised and maintained a local ice hockey rink after school from 4pm-10pm. Hardest part of the job was quitting. Most enjoyable was playing hockey with my friends for 6 hours and getting paid to do so.
Pros
Hockey
Cons
poor wage
I enjoyed driving the bus daily,I had the freedom of working out with the public and I enjoyed driving in general
Bus Operator for OC Transpo (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2017
Driving and getting people from the out lying areas of Ottawa to the downtown core. Keeping my bus on schedule and making the passengers happy by being on time and getting them to their destination safely.
Pros
freedom of being on the road, being my own boss while in charge of my bus.great benefits.working with the public.
Cons
working split shifts
Politics and Policies
City Councillor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2017
good experience, lots to learn especially for people who have not worked in politics before. Politics has less job security but is more exciting (events, socializing etc) . Good luck !
Pros
free lunches and free events
Cons
working with a lot of people who have complaints about the city
I really liked it
Assistant Librarian (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2017
good place to work . nice people and nice environment to work in. hours are pretty flexible and is not a demanding job. working for the city of ottawa is a good idea
Pros
nice people
Cons
Very productive and educational experience
Accounts Clerk/Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2017
Working with the City of Ottawa was very beneficial for me. I learnt a lot of new skills such as SAP, inventory control, accounts payable/receivable etc. Management was really friendly and encouraged their employees to excel in the workplace and learn new things. Overall, a wonderful experience!
Maintaining responsibility for customer safety.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON17 March 2017
Having to stay attentive and make responsible choices to prevent injury is the most important aspect to my job. Dealing with customer service issues and customer service payments and registrations.
Great Atmosphere
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON8 March 2017
Management and employees were always in a great mood. Got to be a big influence to kids, which was very rewarding. It was a fun place to work because of the games and constant fun
Fun and Inclusive environment
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
I had a great time with the instructors and kids and learnt a lot form my experience. There were many aspects about the job that made me enjoy the idea of continuing down a path into leadership employment, especially with children, because it allows you to learn responsibility and care giving as well as being flexible and understanding considering we dealt with the very young kids.
Pros
volunteer hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4