City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

great place
Environment/Sustainability (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was an amazing job financially for an entry level position! I made great money and the benefits were nice.Management is good they always help out and coworkers are friendly and helpful the hardest part is when we are shorthanded and busy.
Energetic and fun place to work with a lot of really motivated and friendly staff
Aquatic Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 13, 2015
Really great opportunity as a starter job. I enjoyed my time there a lot, it was great to work with a staff compliment who were really committed to their workplace and enjoy what they do. I really appreciated the opportunity for advancement, and I was able to progress into a supervisory role. I've learned a lot about team management in this position.
Pros
great hours, very friendly coworkers, supportive management team, opportunity for advancement
Cons
very few breaks, bureaucratic
A great work and great people to work with
Administrative Assistant / Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
As a typical day at work, everybody is friendly. Work starts at 8. Everyone is willing to give help whenever its needed. Co-workers are friendly as well willing to help as well. The hardest part was when you have to deliver the work on time and you have to pay attention to details at the same time. I liked that we had the lunch hour where we meet different people from different departments and could chat a little bit about life.
Pros
They pay should be more
Cons
The half an hour lunch was unpaid
Great staff , very friendly and welcoming , great social place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Always a fun time working, great staff and cliental around. Always learning new things in the fitness world and of the job its self. Management for the department is amazing , great boss. Co-workers are great and always happy. Hardest part is dealing with upper management . Most enjoyable part if actually working with the team.
Pros
get to workout
Cons
upper management isnt great and pay
Busy Work Enviroment
Maintenance Helper inside a recreation center (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2016
- Busy morning and weekend shifts.
- Learned how to do ice maintenance, pool maintenance, work on a tight schedule and manage a large facility.
- Under good management and worked with a great team.
- Hardest part was keeping up on a constantly changing schedule and maintaining/repairing the numerous vacinities within the facility.
- Most enjoyable part was working with your fellow employees.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Communication
Fun and friendly work environment
Park Supervisor and Park programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 7, 2016
I got my first summer job with the city of Ottawa, I've learned english, made life time friends and got many opportunities to grow and learn as a worker and supervisor.
Pros
Friendly, fun job and great time
Cons
late night, too many trainings and long shifts
Changing environment - multi tasking - fun - good people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 13, 2015
Very much a team player environment. Energetic, positive employees and management. Supportive, encouraging coordinators. Opportunity to move within the City of Ottawa organization.
Pros
Fitness memberships
Cons
Part time - no benefits
Recognized for my experience I appreciated the opportunity given to work in place of a city employee on parental leave.
DESIGNER / SIGN MAKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros
good work environment
Cons
my placement did not last because it was not a permanent job
productive
Parking Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2016
customer relations such as dispute management, professionalism, interpersonal skills, effective communication skills.
Productive work inviroment
Sakting addentent (Current Employee) –  OttawaSeptember 2, 2016
I to work in an environment where I can get my work done but have in an environment where it is relaxed I like to finish my work by doing one thing at a time. I lie to feel productive in the work and support my fellow co-workers.
Healthy work environment and great staff
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at work includes opening the facility, greeting members into the facility, answering phones. Addressing any question and registering clients in our programs. Front line work dealing with customers and cashier work. I learned to always have a positive attitude while working and to do my best. The management was fantastic, very easy to work with and accommodating to our school schedule. My co-workers were great and now some of my good friends. The hardest part of the job would be getting to know the City of Ottawa computer operating system, but it didn't take me long to get it! The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing and working with many different people and interacting with them.
Good place for stable work
Engineering Student III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Once you're in the City of Ottawa, it is difficult to be gotten rid of. Opportunity for advancement is sometimes there but it is difficult to get in since the starting positions (students) are often given to family members or recommendations by employees.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Union culture (difficult to get rid of bad workers, poor opinion of doing work, etc)
Very good job that only suffers due to personal and City politics
Student Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Management and Job Culture are usually oriented based on the political motives of the group (i.e. cyclist friendly vs. vehicle friendly for example). A lot is not accomplished because of this except when there is a clear mandate from Council to go one way or the other.
Great environment
Camp Coucellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 7, 2016
I worked with special needs individuals and gained lots of real life experience with the City of Ottawa. This experience is needed for my future long term career with special needs individuals as a Personal Support Worker.
Pros
Got paid to have fun
Fun but busy workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 3, 2016
helping my worker to organize tasks, prepare meetings, organize the office procedures and make calls to book appointments or to remind clients of their appointements
Amazing Place to work
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
- Great people
- Great Culture
- Lots of Employee Growth
- Many Opportunities
- Service Excellence
- Drive to improve the everyday services
- Great to train the Staff
fun work place with amazing people
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2015
A fun work place with flexible hours and supportive staff.
working with kids from different background and culture was the most enjoyable part.The was a lot of different stuff to do each, witch it interesting and give you the motivation to come to work everyday. The company is very culturally diverse.
Pros
working with Kids
Cons
Making a difference at home
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 1, 2016
It was lovely to work for our municipal government and learn how the corporate business services branch help the people of Ottawa
Fun workplace
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2016
Nothing bad to say here. Easy to get along with co-workers/supervisors. Kids and youth are fun to supervise for the most part.
Pros
Co-workers, trips
Fun Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2016
I would rather you enjoy the experience on your own then me tell you. Great salary and benefits for a life long experience.

4.3