City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Summer Job
Student By-Law Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 June 2017
This is a great job for potential officer of the law to learn the daily routines, report writing and dealing with the population. I learned how to calmly get through a heated discussion with an individual, I know to keep the high emotions at bay so that rational decisions can be made
Overall a really fun job
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON21 June 2017
Although the hours are a bit frustrating to work around, I had an excellent experience working for the city. They allowed me to gain a lot of experience in public relations and personal responsibility.
Fun Job to have
Before and Afer school Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 June 2017
I was only here for a short time but I enjoyed working here, the other staff were friendly and accepting, and we all seemed to work okay together though we all had different styles in how to handle things.
Open work environment
Program Leader, Arts and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 June 2017
Great work environment for young people. Coworkers are often similar minded people who are always willing to help out. Employees are for the most part very skilled in their area of expertise and provide services to the best of their abilities.
Pros
Good pay, Comfortable work environment
Cons
Inflexible hours
Un milieu jovial à travailler bien que un peu stressant des fois
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 June 2017
Administrer les medicaments aux patients selon les prescription du Doctor et se rassurer que tous les patients sont traites avec dignite et respect, sans discrimination. Entretenir de bonnes relations avec les patient afin de faciliter la therapie( nurse -patient relationships).
Se rassurer que les psw font leur travail de facon appropriee. Repondre aux questions posees par la famille des patients, cette situation est assez stressante car certaines familles sont trop exigentes. Reporter des incidents à l,infirmiere en charge, ces infirmieres/infirmiers sont toujours prêts à aider et le font avec plaisir
ceci rend l,admosphere agreable.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
No permanent position available
Great Job
Process Technologist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2017
Everything about the City of Ottawa is amazing

Salary Vacations and work expectations.

I would reccomend government employment to anybody. Yay Defined Benefit Pensions
Pros
Salary
SAP Authorization Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
Management supported the opportunity to advance my knowledge within my work environment.
Great place to work for all Ethnic backgrounds.
A gym was on site for those who wished to participate.
This is somewhat tedious
Full Time Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2017
The City of Ottawa is generally a depressing place to work. The majority of the departments are filled with disinterested government workers looking to grow the size of their department. There is essentially no sense of purpose in the management and the students generally consider the entire process as a joke. Although The hours and pay was good, I can't help but feel guilty wasting taxpayers money in a clearly unproductive sector.

Cut the student program, have students work in the private sector in the summer and actually accomplish something. I feel dirty just thinking about it.
Pros
Easy, good pay
Cons
apathetic management
I felt a disconnect from management to employees
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2017
You are just an employee number. I found a very large disconnect from management down to the frontline workers. Management has really no idea of what the job of an Operator is.
Fun and awesome
Maintenance Helper IV (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
I've been with the city of Ottawa for 2 years now and starting on my 3rd. Each year I come back it just keeps getting better. It's a full-time job, but it's definitely worth it.
Great work place
Senior Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2017
I have worked for the City of Ottawa for two years. It is a great place to work because of the steady hours and great employees. I really enjoyed working within the traffic program and I have learned very much.
Program Manager Recruitment and Staffing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2017
Focused on new programs and initiatives to develop employees including but not limited to language training, employee mentorship, training in technical areas. The City offers a wide range of career choices in several disciplines and as such there is always the potential to switch careers.
Good place to volunteer
Volunteer Assistant Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2017
I enjoyed volunteering at the Cyrville Community Centre. The staff were encouraging and understanding and campers were great to work with. I would recommend it to others.
Well organized and enjoyable.
Aquatics Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
My experience working for the City of Ottawa has been quite beneficial. They incorporate many opportunities and I have learned many skills while working for the City of Ottawa. They have prepared me well with trainings and additional information about my job. Overall, I would recommend working with the City of Ottawa.
Pros
Paid training and realistic expected work hours.
City of Ottawa is a satisfactory employer and donor
Outdoor Rink Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
I worked for the City of Ottawa as a rink supervisor under the authority of a community leader. The City of Ottawa provided the tools necessary and helped to organize both community events and was appreciative of our work in the community. As an employee of Dovercourt Recreation Centre, the city provided much of the summer camps funding and helped to shape program creation. As far of supervision or direct involvement, I understand the city provided the funds and requirements, but allowed us the operational flexibility to program our own camps to cater to our clientele. In conclusion, the City has been a fine employer and patron.
Pros
Flexible work hours, knowledgeable program staff
Cons
Low wages for contract work
Fun place to work
Acting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
Good place to work in the summer time. I have great respect for the city of ottawa they treat everyone fairly and honestly and their expectations are always clear.
Pros
Working Outside
Cons
City of Ottawa is a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2017
Gained valuable experience in the customer service industry in the public sector. Developed problem solving skills, multitasking skills and customer relations skills.
Nice People
GIS Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
The workplace is incredibly friendly, everyone is happy and willing to pass down years of knowledge and experience with new and student employees. Their GIS department is interesting and it was fun getting to work with all the data in their Enterprise Databases.
Wonderul community and supportive management
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2017
A typical at work involve teaching classes and then guarding a free swim. I was always learning at work and improving my swimming skills. The workplace culture was very positive and supportive.
A students dream job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2017
Best job any kid in high school who plays hockey could ask for. I supervised and maintained a local ice hockey rink after school from 4pm-10pm. Hardest part of the job was quitting. Most enjoyable was playing hockey with my friends for 6 hours and getting paid to do so.
Pros
Hockey
Cons
poor wage