City of Ottawa

City of Ottawa Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace while working with children
Kendo Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 18, 2014
Although it was difficult to get to work as I lived far from the recreation, it was quite enjoyable to play and teach the children who were enthusiastic.
Fun, Exciting, Accomodating
Engineering Assistant III (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 16, 2014
Met a lot of great people and learned a lot while working with the City of Ottawa. Very laid back but professional environment.
FUN!
Rink Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 11, 2014
Pros: hockey
Cons: cold
Great time, better people! I loved getting everyone together playing, and if you enjoy playing hockey and getting paid. I highly reccemond it!
The city provides for a fun environment with room for internal advancement.
Camp Counsellor and Program Leader (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: union structure
Cons: cap on the hours available to work
This is a great job for a student, you are provided with a fun environment and management offers many ways for advancement if you're a dedicated employee.
A great learning experience
Electrical Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: lots of time spent outside
Cons: inflexible work hours
A typical day consisted of going out with electricians to repair broken lights and electrical equipment at various parks and recreational facilities all across Ottawa.
Productive and enjoyable enviroment
Maintained the Rink (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: boring at times
I got to the rink and first I shoveled all of the snow that was on it off with either a shovel or snow blower. I then brought all the equipment on too the ice such as hockey nets and I made sure at all times that everyone was in a safe environment. I was always the only one working during my shift. The ahrdest part of the job was the cold days as it – more... was hard to complete all my tasks because i was so cold. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to watch other people enjoy the ice that i helped maintain – less
City of Ottawa Infrastructure Division
Student (Co-op) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 9, 2014
Good place to learn about the construction industry. This was a great opportunity to understand the importance of communication and project management.
First jobs
Maintenance Helper III (Summer Student) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
this employment was many of first jobs that was profitable such as being unionized, receiving good long hours, and more.
City of Ottawa After School Program
Coordinator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Would start off by setting up before the bell ran for school to be over. I would take attendance while kids start to pile in. I would then go over the schedule for the day with the counsellors and get activities set up. It would then become circle time. Circle time is for telling all the kids of any new rules and what the plans were for the day. We – more... would then do one activity and after would be snack. After snack we would then go into the gym for a running game. After the gym it is free time for the kids that haven't been picked up yet. I would then write in the log book about the day, who was working, and what activities we played. After the kids are gone, we would clean up, and sign our hours.

The hardest part of my job is making all the kids happy. There are different ages so there are many suggestions for different games. I try my best compromise for everyone.

I love going into work because the kids just brighten my day. They are so entertaining and love being around them. – less
Good learning experience, bad boss, slightly rough work conditions
Engineering Student II (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: relaxing, easy job, good intro to construction, decent pay for a student
Cons: stand outside all day, bad management
I worked with another student under the supervision of an inspector on water main sites. I won't name him but he was very bitter and difficult to work for and due for retirement. The city seems to have a lot of redundant positions and this seemed like one of them. I stood outside all day watching contractors work and writing notes, and standing around – more... basically just making sure contractor would do work as specified by the city. Boss would bug me about not doing anything when there was literally nothing for me to do. I did learn a lot just from watching the watermain construction since I knew nothing about construction going in. We had no field office for most of the summer so the rainy and cold days were sometimes rough. Overall though, it wasn't to terrible. Time went by slow most of the time but at least it wasn't too stressful. – less
Great working environment
Professional Figure Skating Coach (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Coaching children to adults in the day time programs with The City of Ottawa
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 3, 2014
I really enjoy working for the city. But unable to continue in my career due to medical reasons.
Amazing place to work, great team
Water Distribution Operator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: hours of work, benefits, salary, overtime
Cons: long hours
- Typical day starts at 7:30 AM
- I have enjoyed my career starting at the City of Ottawa.
- Welcoming staff
Great work Enviroment and friendly co-workers
Jr. Designer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2013
I was resposnsible for doing changes and corrections to designs that are up for review. I would come to the office and have drawings on my table ready to be corrected. I complete them and take them back for further review and corrections. Worked on multiple projects at one time and for multiple designers. Co-workers were great though! Everyone supported – more... eachother and helped eachother when ever possible. Great team work! I loved coming in and helping the designers and others with work and seeing that i had a part to do in accomplishing a project. The hardest part of my job must have was cordinating everything. At first it was a little difficult to layout my time for which project but once I got to know how everything runs, I was able to do that part much better and easier. – less
Excellent place to work.
Maintenance Helper IV, Roads (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2013
Start the day at 7 & and end at 3:30. Great working outdoors and with good happy co workers.
Productive, organized, safe and enjoyable workplace
Maintenance Helper (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: good pay, good hours, amazing boss
A typical day at work involves meticulous cleaning and building maintenance, as well as normal operation of rental set-ups, ice resurfacing and assistance to customers.
I have learned a lot of valuable life lessons working for the City of Ottawa, such as managing work load, and improvement of customer service.
My co-workers are all very nice and have – more... the same intentions as i do when it comes to work. They also have very good communication skills. – less
Amazing team
Environmental GIS Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 7, 2013
Amazing management. Very relaxed atmosphere and some very cool projects to work on.
Volunteer
Supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 15, 2013
Volunteer work thought me a lot of things, I didn't only do this because I had to complete my 40 hours with school but I did it because I wanted responsibility, working on a outdoor rinks demands a lot of time and effort from the maintenance of the ice to the on ice discipline this volunteer work made me a better person.
Fun and exciting workplace
Home Helper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Pros: seeing the apreciation on clients faces
Cons: not enough hours
I enjoyed going to my clients homes and interacting with them on a weekly or bi weekly basis.
I am so happy to work there and use my experiance
program support clerk,(stafing coordinator ) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2013
Pros: more hours
It is very good to me part of my team. I need more hours to work.

1 2 3

About City of Ottawa

We offer you a rewarding career opportunity to enhance the quality of life of our whole community. Your work will benefit neighbours, – Read more