City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fun and great experience
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 September 2017
Would have liked more hours at the Rec Centre, not much time spent there. Great staff and fun place to work. Easy contact with supervisor, always friendly and available
Little hours, low pay rate...
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2017
As much as I enjoyed the location that I worked at, I felt very overworked for my pay rate. There is also little room for advancement in the job sector. The staff was lovely, but the job just wasn't worth it.

Downsides:
Pros
Great staff, great location, good community feel
Cons
Little room for advancement, Very little staff to take shifts from you, Low pay rate, Not enough hours
Friendly and Dynamic work environment
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON29 August 2017
Working as a volunteer for a City of Ottawa summer camps includes collaborating with a team of coordinators to create a fun and exciting environments for youth, such as planning indoor and outdoor activities, exciting games, field trips and outings.

It's a fun summer camp for the kids, and also a fun job for the camp counselors.
Its meh
Park Programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2017
Good and bad feelings. Work days seem to take up the whole day and leave no room for evening activities. Management makes unadvised decisions without reason. Good working with kids and good staff in a safe environnement
Great way to spend the day,
Administrative Assistance- Parks and Recreation (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2017
Get to work with a a great team in a small office that is set up well with great managment. Constantly getting to work on differnt tasks and inproving my skill levels. would love a slightly more fast pased location but enjoy a bit of quiet time to do cleaning a reorganizing of the office.
Pros
Enjoy the working with differnt projects and great people.
Cons
Can not get enough hours
The workplace at the City of Ottawa is pretty youthful and full of life it is truly a great place to be especially when you are there 7 to 8 hours a d
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 July 2017
At first it seemed like the day would never end with you in a chair all day just looking at a computer screen but as soon as you get to know the staff and realize how easy of a job it is you appreciate the long hours you've worked
Pros
Great work environement
ok place to work
Pineview Municipal Golf Course Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2017
work restrictions are placed upon people in order to move forward , management does not encourage people to advance in the work force . tough environment to work in
Pros
staff
Cons
management
Summer Job
Student By-Law Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 June 2017
This is a great job for potential officer of the law to learn the daily routines, report writing and dealing with the population. I learned how to calmly get through a heated discussion with an individual, I know to keep the high emotions at bay so that rational decisions can be made
Overall a really fun job
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON21 June 2017
Although the hours are a bit frustrating to work around, I had an excellent experience working for the city. They allowed me to gain a lot of experience in public relations and personal responsibility.
Fun Job to have
Before and Afer school Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 June 2017
I was only here for a short time but I enjoyed working here, the other staff were friendly and accepting, and we all seemed to work okay together though we all had different styles in how to handle things.
Open work environment
Program Leader, Arts and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 June 2017
Great work environment for young people. Coworkers are often similar minded people who are always willing to help out. Employees are for the most part very skilled in their area of expertise and provide services to the best of their abilities.
Pros
Good pay, Comfortable work environment
Cons
Inflexible hours
Un milieu jovial à travailler bien que un peu stressant des fois
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 June 2017
Administrer les medicaments aux patients selon les prescription du Doctor et se rassurer que tous les patients sont traites avec dignite et respect, sans discrimination. Entretenir de bonnes relations avec les patient afin de faciliter la therapie( nurse -patient relationships).
Se rassurer que les psw font leur travail de facon appropriee. Repondre aux questions posees par la famille des patients, cette situation est assez stressante car certaines familles sont trop exigentes. Reporter des incidents à l,infirmiere en charge, ces infirmieres/infirmiers sont toujours prêts à aider et le font avec plaisir
ceci rend l,admosphere agreable.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
No permanent position available
Great Job
Process Technologist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2017
Everything about the City of Ottawa is amazing

Salary Vacations and work expectations.

I would reccomend government employment to anybody. Yay Defined Benefit Pensions
Pros
Salary
SAP Authorization Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
Management supported the opportunity to advance my knowledge within my work environment.
Great place to work for all Ethnic backgrounds.
A gym was on site for those who wished to participate.
This is somewhat tedious
Full Time Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2017
The City of Ottawa is generally a depressing place to work. The majority of the departments are filled with disinterested government workers looking to grow the size of their department. There is essentially no sense of purpose in the management and the students generally consider the entire process as a joke. Although The hours and pay was good, I can't help but feel guilty wasting taxpayers money in a clearly unproductive sector.

Cut the student program, have students work in the private sector in the summer and actually accomplish something. I feel dirty just thinking about it.
Pros
Easy, good pay
Cons
apathetic management
I felt a disconnect from management to employees
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2017
You are just an employee number. I found a very large disconnect from management down to the frontline workers. Management has really no idea of what the job of an Operator is.
Fun and awesome
Maintenance Helper IV (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
I've been with the city of Ottawa for 2 years now and starting on my 3rd. Each year I come back it just keeps getting better. It's a full-time job, but it's definitely worth it.
Great work place
Senior Traffic Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2017
I have worked for the City of Ottawa for two years. It is a great place to work because of the steady hours and great employees. I really enjoyed working within the traffic program and I have learned very much.
Program Manager Recruitment and Staffing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2017
Focused on new programs and initiatives to develop employees including but not limited to language training, employee mentorship, training in technical areas. The City offers a wide range of career choices in several disciplines and as such there is always the potential to switch careers.
Good place to volunteer
Volunteer Assistant Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2017
I enjoyed volunteering at the Cyrville Community Centre. The staff were encouraging and understanding and campers were great to work with. I would recommend it to others.