City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2018
Management was good

Pay was good

Environment was laid-back & fun

Employees were great to work with & friendly

Good work/life balance

Part-time & Full-time employment
Pros
Good pay, good environment
Cons
No benefits
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 January 2018
I love working for the City of Ottawa. I learned to get along with coworkers, dealing with customers, and I grew as a person. I learned that customers are always right and to respect their wishes.
Fun place to work
Wastewater division foreman (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2018
Very hard to make the cut.There is lots of training but overall the hours are nice,the benefits and pay are excellent..................................
Fun work enviroment
Laurier Ave W - Maintenance Helper IV (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2018
It was a good work environment in which you were able to work independently and learn good team skills. I would recommend for anyone to apply and work there
Simple instructions. Flexible hours
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2018
Relaxed environment that brings you closer to the community. Its easy when you finish training and you don't require much supervision. The pay is steady and shifts are reliable.
Very fun but tiring
Programme leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 January 2018
Days at work are very long but there is always learning curves and new knowledge obtained every single day. Good staff and tons of training for every situation. Overall great place to work.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
stressfull
Job for highschool students
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2017
withing the city of ottawa, specifically being a lifeguard and swim instructor was a good job when i was 16-18. As i got older i was primarily working with younger people which created a very isolated work environment.
Management was young adults who often didn't know how to act appropriatly in the work place and towards the people "working" for them.
The job paid well however there are two different rates for lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons. if you are interested in teaching swimming lessons you are looking at working only evenings and weekends.
Great Place to Work
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 December 2017
Working at the city was amazing. It had great hours as well as my coworkers were all respectful.
There is no better place to work then the city of Ottawa.
Fun place to work at... Lack of hours
School Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2017
I've been working with the city for 3 years, and I have to say that I've had tons of fun working there. Working as a before care and after care counselor was never a job I would've seen myself doing, but having done it, I'd recommend it to just about anyone who's looking for a first job. Being around kids allows for a fun, fast paced work environment. It's also a great way to improve your communication skills and meet new people. My only complaint would be the lack of hours...
Pros
Easy job if you enjoy being around children
Cons
Lack of hours
Good spot to work
Sidewalk Plow Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 November 2017
Worked 12 hour shifts cleaning sidewalks in the city of Ottawa was a fun spot to work and really enjoyed it but only worked when I got called in which was very hard to deal with and never got called back for the next year which was disappointing.
Good place for a student
Aquatic Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2017
The lifeguard/swim instructor position offers a lot of good hours and flexible scheduling for a student who wants to work. Getting paid above minimum wage for fun work with like-minded young adults is great.
i like it
Customer Service Representative (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2017
I like working there. always work hard with enthusiasm. want more hours and jobs for making money. I handle cash and talk and help customers with anything they need.
Pros
breaks
Cons
long
fun and enjoyable workplace
Lifeguard training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2017
Lifeguard training consisted of the following:

● Contact emergency medical personnel in case of serious injury
● Monitor pool area for violations and potential hazardous situations
● Assist in maintaining pool and recreation areas clean
● Examine injured individuals, administer first aid
Great job, pay not much higher than minimum
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 October 2017
Worked great with school as shifts did not conflict with class times.
Barely higher than minimum wage.
Is ideal as a part-time student position.
Productive and Fun
Beach Operational Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON18 September 2017
I directed, allocated and coordinated the day to day tasks of designated of personnel and ensured the quality & quantity of output to achieve directed
standards Petrie Island City of Ottawa public beach, Met deadlines according to the published schedules, Performed building/washroom maintenance, Managed the volleyball/paddle board as a rental associate/Cash handling.
Fun and great experience
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 September 2017
Would have liked more hours at the Rec Centre, not much time spent there. Great staff and fun place to work. Easy contact with supervisor, always friendly and available
Little hours, low pay rate...
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2017
As much as I enjoyed the location that I worked at, I felt very overworked for my pay rate. There is also little room for advancement in the job sector. The staff was lovely, but the job just wasn't worth it.

Downsides:
Pros
Great staff, great location, good community feel
Cons
Little room for advancement, Very little staff to take shifts from you, Low pay rate, Not enough hours
Friendly and Dynamic work environment
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON29 August 2017
Working as a volunteer for a City of Ottawa summer camps includes collaborating with a team of coordinators to create a fun and exciting environments for youth, such as planning indoor and outdoor activities, exciting games, field trips and outings.

It's a fun summer camp for the kids, and also a fun job for the camp counselors.
Its meh
Park Programmer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2017
Good and bad feelings. Work days seem to take up the whole day and leave no room for evening activities. Management makes unadvised decisions without reason. Good working with kids and good staff in a safe environnement
Great way to spend the day,
Administrative Assistance- Parks and Recreation (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2017
Get to work with a a great team in a small office that is set up well with great managment. Constantly getting to work on differnt tasks and inproving my skill levels. would love a slightly more fast pased location but enjoy a bit of quiet time to do cleaning a reorganizing of the office.
Pros
Enjoy the working with differnt projects and great people.
Cons
Can not get enough hours