City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Wonderul community and supportive management
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2017
A typical at work involve teaching classes and then guarding a free swim. I was always learning at work and improving my swimming skills. The workplace culture was very positive and supportive.
A students dream job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2017
Best job any kid in high school who plays hockey could ask for. I supervised and maintained a local ice hockey rink after school from 4pm-10pm. Hardest part of the job was quitting. Most enjoyable was playing hockey with my friends for 6 hours and getting paid to do so.
Pros
Hockey
Cons
poor wage
I enjoyed driving the bus daily,I had the freedom of working out with the public and I enjoyed driving in general
Bus Operator for OC Transpo (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2017
Driving and getting people from the out lying areas of Ottawa to the downtown core. Keeping my bus on schedule and making the passengers happy by being on time and getting them to their destination safely.
Pros
freedom of being on the road, being my own boss while in charge of my bus.great benefits.working with the public.
Cons
working split shifts
Politics and Policies
City Councillor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2017
good experience, lots to learn especially for people who have not worked in politics before. Politics has less job security but is more exciting (events, socializing etc) . Good luck !
Pros
free lunches and free events
Cons
working with a lot of people who have complaints about the city
I really liked it
Assistant Librarian (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2017
good place to work . nice people and nice environment to work in. hours are pretty flexible and is not a demanding job. working for the city of ottawa is a good idea
Pros
nice people
Cons
Very productive and educational experience
Accounts Clerk/Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2017
Working with the City of Ottawa was very beneficial for me. I learnt a lot of new skills such as SAP, inventory control, accounts payable/receivable etc. Management was really friendly and encouraged their employees to excel in the workplace and learn new things. Overall, a wonderful experience!
Maintaining responsibility for customer safety.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON17 March 2017
Having to stay attentive and make responsible choices to prevent injury is the most important aspect to my job. Dealing with customer service issues and customer service payments and registrations.
Great Atmosphere
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON8 March 2017
Management and employees were always in a great mood. Got to be a big influence to kids, which was very rewarding. It was a fun place to work because of the games and constant fun
Fun and Inclusive environment
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
I had a great time with the instructors and kids and learnt a lot form my experience. There were many aspects about the job that made me enjoy the idea of continuing down a path into leadership employment, especially with children, because it allows you to learn responsibility and care giving as well as being flexible and understanding considering we dealt with the very young kids.
Pros
volunteer hours
Overall good place to work
Roads Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 March 2017
Everyday I would go in at 7, then we would sit and wait for the Zone Supervisor to give us orders of what we were going to be doing tat day. Learned a lot about different machines, and the safety of being around them. Good place to work, everyone was nice.
Pros
The work was not hard.
Great environment outdoor work with facilities on hand
Full-time Parks programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
Working as a parks programmer is great. You work closely with a team of generally 6 or 7 people. management is fantastic and there is a lot of training and making sure you feel confident with the tasks at hand.
Pros
outdoors young atmosphere good hours
Cons
no work if it rains no formal break hours
Great Atmosphere
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
Always a positive atmosphere. Happy customers. Occasional work parties. The bosses where always looking out for the workers.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
long days
A fun and enjoyable work environment
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2017
My typical work days involves interacting and playing games with children. I absolutely love this job because I get payed to play. The management of this job is fantastic because it provides me with the time to work while attending school.
Not where I work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
Presently I work at Long term care, at this type of facilities a strong team work is required in order to achieve the maximum results wich are the wellbeing of the residents.
Pros
I can be rewarding
Cons
It can be very tiresome
lots of opportunity
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2017
If ever given the chance to work for the City of Ottawa, you should. Any position has great job security and a well-structured management. Most jobs requiring experience pay well. Internal hiring for jobs is the most important perk of working for the city,
Pros
Job security and advancement
The Best
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Greet clients and sign in appointment, maintain file room, support case coordinators.
Workplace is fun, friendly and has a supportive team and management.
Pros
Spirit and recognition
The recreation cetre in the heart of Ottawa
Utilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 January 2017
Jack Purcell Community Centre was the place I did volunteering work before I got a part-time employment there as a summer job in the year 2008.
I could not complain anything because this place gave me lot of opportunities to get connected with people and lot of fun to work with.
Fun, flexible summer job
Park Programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2017
The job starts off with a great training weekend where you get to meet many of the new staff you will be working with. You learn how to maintain the pool, how to perform first aid in a pool setting, and how your specific community pool runs. You also learn how to safely work with chemicals (ie. chlorine). The staff and management make working fun, and engaging. You won't feel like you are going to work but rather going to hang out and have fun with that community. One of the hardest parts of the job was standing in heat for long hours, but rotations help with that. Besides seeing how happy the pool and your activities make the children far outways the negative! Plus the hours are very flexible and can work around your schedule.
Pros
fun training weekend and staff events
Fun, young and pays well
Lifeguard and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 January 2017
Staff are fun, the pay is great considering how young the lifeguarding staff generally are. Staff trainings can be annoying but with a fun group of staff and management, they can be pretty fun.
Fun place to work with great people
Lifeguard/swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 December 2016
Working as a lifeguard for the City of Ottawa provided me with extensive team working skills as well as building my personal leadership skills. My employers and supervisors were always helpful and always supported me and it was a very fun place to work. The staff were amazing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4