CITY OF OSHAWA Employee Reviews

STUDENT LABOUR (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 18, 2016
Friendly environment with great colleagues. Job was enjoyable with new events happening weekly and new encounters with different people every day.
Fun and Active
Counsellor in Training (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 23, 2016
This was just a summer job and training, but what I would do is go to two different camps over the summer and help out with the programs they had planned. This is were my team leader skills had the most impact as I had to organize a program based of the type of camp for a bunch of kids vary in age and gender.
With the management of it all I wasn't really a big thing that I noticed like how we were doing camps and the only other leaders around were about my age so I don't think I should comment on it. It was a day to day figure out what to do. At most I worked with two other people and I was only with them for a week, so I didn't get to know them too well but I believe they were good people. The hardest part was coming up with an activity on the fly, If something was wrong or the kids didn't want to continue their current one. The most enjoyable part was staying active while working, there wasn't a time when I wasn't moving.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
No fans or AC
Excellant Workplace
Facility Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 6, 2016
Ive worked with the City of Oshawa for about 6 years now. I started as a volunteer and then i eventually was hired to teach Volleyball. since then i have grown to other facilities within the City of Oshawa and i love working with the kids and teaching them new things and hearing bout their day and just making them happy and comfortable. the job is fairly easy and the salary is great for high school and college students. The hours are very flexible, however their art that many hours per week as one would mostly prefer, however still a great place to work as a starting part time job.
Would not recomend
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Work life: I wound not recommend working here. The pay is good but other than pay its a backward sad place and life is too short.

Change is required! leadership is unwilling to do more than push out new programs that look good on a web page but offer no real change at all.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Backward
Great experience and earn what you make.
STUDENT WORKER/ TEMPORARY WORKER (Current Employee) –  OshawaOctober 16, 2015
Lots of grass cutting/trimming, interaction with the public, heavy lifting, and cleaning. Learned a lot about grass and artificial field maintenance.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Work most weekends
fast pace job
Learn to Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 5, 2015
Learned to communicate with the public. Gained knowledge on average lawn care and was able to solve problems efficiently. Worked on pumps and inventory.
Great place to work- amazing coworkers
Municipal Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 4, 2014
Working with some of the best people that Durham region has to offer.
Great place
Excellent
Student Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 17, 2014
With the City of Oshawa I have had the opportunity to work across various municipal parks within the City.

During my time there I typically maintained sports fields, municipal parks or prepared for events whether independently or in a small team. Most of the labour consisted of grounds maintenance with the odd bit of building maintenance and special event projects.

Here I learned to work as a group to accomplish landscaping tasks and developed time-management skills when I worked independently on sports fields. While working independently, I checked the future schedule of games, made requests for supplies ahead of time and managed tasks effectively so that I always had something to do either before, during or after a team was done using a field.

I also learned how to resolve conflict situations and customer interactions in a polite, patient and professional manner. Customers came in a variety of personalities and I always made sure o be respectful of their praise, complaints or considerations.

The Hardest part of the job was when I would have to make the call of whether a game could take place or not. Many times occurred where a team would either be on the field or arriving where I would need to cancel the game due to weather (lighting, deluges) or safety concerns which was disappointing to sports teams but necessary to maintain a facility's/field's health.

The best part of the job was the customer interaction. I enjoyed the results of conflict resolution and was always improving my field management techniques to enhance the experience for customers whenever possible.
Pros
customer interaction made for great experiences, freedom allowed in completion of tasks (self manage tasks), co-workers make the workplace enjoyable and inspired you to work hard, excellent networking opportunities, work outdoors, paid lunches and breaks
Cons
worked alone for part of employment in a sports area with infrequent co-worker interaction, some tasks are repetitive and static, following work policy does not always match customer desires, waste on a site can be unpleasant
Uncomfortable Setting, Unfriendly Environment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 10, 2014
As a lifeguard, I would arrive ten minutes prior to my shift's commencement as required, change into my uniform and get my personal first-aid supplies ready in time to be stationed on the pool deck. Rotations would be done every ten minutes, with a ten-minute break taken every hour for each employee (unless certain circumstances, such as an emergency, arises). Breaks were greatly welcomed when available, because the pool deck was kept at an uncomfortably hot temperature. While it was a design choice to add to comfort of patrons when they exit the water so they are not cold, it comes at the detriment to the staff, to the point where rising heat has led to lifeguard fainting at the top of the water slide and falling down the stairs. Water and fans were constantly required, and between these and a job that mostly involved standing still and looking around, even two-hour shifts seemed long and drawn out, becoming boring extremely fast. At the end of the shift, first-aid supplies are returned to the pool office, the pool area is cleaned of toys and miscellaneous supplies (pool ropes, etc.), and the pool area is closed and locked before all employees leave. There, I continually learned updated first-aid and swimming techniques, as well as how to properly survey swimming patrons. The management consisted of at least one full-time pool supervisor, with other part-time supervisors that worked on deck each shift with other lifeguards. While the full-time supervisors were largely helpful and supportive, the part-time ones were considerably less so. The management on a whole also gave more  more... criticism than praise, which did not make the criticism come across as constructive, even if it was meant to. The co-workers were largely anti-social and as equally critical as the part-time supervisors, being a severe detriment to the job environment and detracting greatly from any possible enjoyment. This became such a normal practice that the hardest part of the job became showing up for work, and the most enjoyable part leaving at the end of the day.  less
Pros
somewhat supportive senior management team
Cons
uncooperative and disrespectful co-workers
Energetic and Fast Paced Pool
lifeguard/swimming instructor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 8, 2012
Working with the City of Oshawa for three years as a lifeguard definitely gave me a great experience in that field. The pool (Legends Center) where I mainly guarded was a fast-paced pool with a lot going on. As a lifeguard, I always had to be moving and scanning the pool constantly and ensuring each patron was following the rules of the pool. A typical day would be starting in the morning teaching lessons for 4 hours. After lessons, the guards would get a 15-20 minute break and go out to guard the next swim (usually 3 hours of guarding). While guarding, we would have to be on the pool deck for 50 minutes, with ten minute rotations and had 10 minutes in the pool office.The hardest part of my job was trying to satisfy all patron because some were hard to please. However I always did my best to make each patron comfortable at our pools. I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers, we made great bonds together and are still friends with many.
Pros
great community
Cons
could not come back for a summer job once you left for school

2.9