City of Mississauga Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Information Technology Co-op Technician Tier 2 (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 February 2016
It was a fun and positive environment to work in. My time there was a very knowledgeable. I recommend working here. If i had a chance to go back I would.
Great experience reffing
Timekeeper (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2016
Loved the environment at the rinks across Mississauga, the staff are very helpful and my partners have been great. Awesome flexibility with hours per week.
Great place to gain experience
Basketball Drop-in Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 October 2015
Loved working here, learned a lot from great colleagues who have been with the city for many years. Management is very supportive and there is lots of opportunity to try your hands at various roles.
Parks and recreation
Parks long term labourer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 March 2015
Working Outdoors is fun and a rewarding job, learning new skills on how to care for the environment is great knowledge. I am great team worker and get along with all diversities. I am able to follow directions and help others with out being asked to. Following direction and learning new things come easy for me, if i am not 100% clear on the task i will ask questions to do the job right.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 October 2015
Accepted via online application, no prior network within the organization. They recognize international work experience.

Great work life balance.
Pros
Promotes work life balance
Cons
Difficult to get a permanent position
Wonderful Place
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 December 2015
Nothing better to say! I'm really thankful that this was my first job and I'm still working there. I would gladly recommend anyone to work here.
Fun Work Place
Operations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 February 2015
A typical day at work i go in and do floods and maintain the building, i learned how to drive a Zamboni, change taps, and a couple other things. My co-workers are pretty easy going guys as long as you do what is needed of you, the hardest part of my job is going to the pool to clean its usually the worst, the easiest part is driving the Zamboni.
Pros
Work with good people, at times not too demanding
Great Place to Work
Coop student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga2 March 2014
A typical day was: responding to email, supervision of; worker, labours, installer. Also designing spaces, meeting with directors and management teams, working as a team, Lead communicator between projects and management teams.
Management team where very supportive and educated in the field as pertains to facility management, construction management and interior design.
Hardest part of the job was balancing customer satisfaction, management needs, and worker relations during every stage of a project.
Pros
gas compensation, float time, great team setting
part time instructor
Learn to Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 June 2012
The position I hold at the City of Mississauga considered a "part-time seasonal" position. Therefore hours are very unreliable. This means that your paycheque varies alot.

My boss couldnt care less for her employees, she also loves to play favourites. This in turn means that if you are on her favourite list you get more hours than the staff that are not on her favourite list.

There is absolutley NO chance of advancement.

The only positive aspect is that the per hour pay is good.
Pros
good pay per hour
Cons
no chance of advancement, toxic work environment
Orientate choreographed dances for student youth
Dance Choreographer and Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 July 2012
My position as a choreographer is typically out in the field and not at the general office although I do meet with other colleagues at the main office from time to time.

Management is real good with the City. Their very efficient and consistently keep us up to date with relevant information.

Classes are normally conducted with a 10-15 min warm up followed by a step by step instruction for a routine.

I find it a little difficult working with the various ages (one class being teenagers and the other adults ages ranging from 26-45).
Pros
good pay rate
Cons
not enough hours
Productive friendly teamwork type environment
Parks operations (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 October 2012
This job offered excellent hours and I got the privilege to work with many great people. I learned a lot about horticulture and how to arrange different types of flowers based on location. The hardest part of the job would be adjusting to the change in weather as we worked outside from the cooler temperatures right into the extreme heat as well as the odd rain day. The ost enjoyable part of my job was working with my coworkers. We all got along so well and I made many friends.
Pros
monday to friday work hours
Cons
extreme heat days
Rewarding and Responsible work
Lifeguard/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2013
great work environment when the management were not hovering over your shoulders, hours were decent but cut throat with all the good hours going to people who have it good with seniority, pay was decent better then flipping burgers, over-all learned a lot but would not recommend any friends or family members to work at the location I did for 8 years, and yes I wanted to quit on several occasions but the money spoke for itself
Pros
Good hours and Pay
Cons
Bad Management
contract assignment
Project Administration Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 September 2013
Typical day at work, take customers call requesting for their certificate and add it to my to do list, I am a perfectionist and I learned that is not everything I can be perfect in, hardest part of my job is when I cannot get a hold of a manager and the customer do not want to leave a message and you cannot page, what I usually do to ask if I can put them on hold and physically deliver the message. The best part of my day is when I have to teach co-workers how to use Excel.
Pros
contract
Cons
contract
non stressful environment
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 July 2014
It is a wonderful experience working with the City of Mississauga. You have a great support system when needed. My co-workers are happy with their job, so it means a happy work place. The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with people. The hardest part is working outside in the cold.
Pros
City Pension, work with little supervision; you know what needs to be done and you follow through.
Cons
working outside in winter
Records Management/Facilities and Property Management
Office Assistant, (Co-op Placement) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 February 2013
Assisting the Records Management Supervisor in creating new files to Realty Department on OMNIRIM Records Management System and doing other duties as assigned by the Supervisor . The hardest part of the job is to learn everything in a short period. the most enjoyable part of the job is working with an interesting supervisor and team workers.
Pros
canadian experience
Cons
unpaid work
Productive and fun workplace
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 November 2015
A friendly environment with supportive co-workers and supervisors.
Best place to work with the celebration square outside the office and ice- skating during the winter
The environment is very open and team oriented.
Senior Appraiser/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2013
Excellent place to work! The environment is very open and team oriented. A typical day includes working with various departments, collecting real estate data and completing appraisals on a timely basis. The hardest part of the job is time constraints between departments, while the best part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
time constraints
Really Laid back but the people are awesome to work with
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 November 2014
they are very prompt with being on time but they understand problems when they happen. you learn that customer service isn't trying to persuade someone to buy something but helping them with what they need and the customers appreciate that and it no longer becomes a Customer Service Representative - Customer relationship but a friend-friend relationship. Hardest part of the job is when someone isn't happy with something, but that is part of the job and you learn to cope with the pressure that it brings. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. You make friends with them instantly and they are so warm and welcoming that it makes it impossible for their to be any tension between anyone.
Pros
City of Mississauga discounts
Cons
shifts not that long
Clarkson Pool
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2012
For the year 2000 minimum wage was 6.85 an hour. My starting wage at 16 years old for a lifeguard was 10.28 an hour. Plus I worked with neighbourhood friends. Absolutely great job for any teenager into their early 20's. Great way to save money for post secondary education. Pay rates now have increased significantly in 12 years.
Pros
lifeguard
Cons
dealing with bad bone fractures.
Detail Orientated and Highly Analytical
Global Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2015
My role focused on the following:

Holding a central role in defining, planning, and leading/managing the short- and long-term Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) expansion plan for multinational companies within a defined market (or set of markets) to ensure FDI targets are met and exceeded.

Develop regional approaches to attract FDI and strategic partnership ventures both locally and abroad.

Monitor and assess the effectiveness of current marketing plans that directly relate to target markets; prepare status reports and RFI’s for Executive team leaders;

Attract, establish and maintain strong global connections and relationships with international partners including public and private sector organizations, institutions (i.e. Sheridan International Centre) and service providers;

Plan, implement and execute marketing strategies within budget, timeline and City of Mississauga guidelines.

Provide leadership, guidance and direction to staff; maximizing department performance.

4.5