CITY OF MISSISSAUGA Employee Reviews

once your in your set but have fun trying.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2016
Place full of nepotism. Work hard and you wont get noticed. The only way to get a fulltime job is if you rub elbows with someone higher up in management or with someone in HR. They always have someone lined up already even though you have all the skills and experience if your trying to get fulltime. I tried for 14 years and they could care less. Many operators could care less about thier work and are usually grumpy and horrible to work with once they are Ft trust me. The management only care about themselves and not thier employees and wont give other people the time of day to listen to or someones opinion. Its all smiles on top but when you get in if your lucky enough is lousy and you just feel like transfering to another building if your even able to. Over all if your lucky to get a Ft job your set but in all reality is sucks the life right out of you. Ive seen it and experienced it.
Pros
the money and benefits
Cons
higher management and corruption within hiring process
Organisation at mature stage of lifecycle
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 October 2016
In need of business modernisation since incorporation in the 1970's from my perspective.
Use of employment agencies to fill temp employment needs and hard to get permanent positions.
Average staff member, very professional, well-bred and intelligent. Mayor and Council as well.

Therefore it's a well-run ship compared to other municipalities. This is very good for a top-class City like Mississauga, which is increasingly growing and developing.
Time now to modernise business operations to meet current and future development.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
difficulty in getting permanent jobs
Fast paced and fun workplace.
CASHIER AT ERIN MILLS TWIN ARENA (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2016
A typical day at Erin Mills Arena would involve doing the mandatory opening and closing cleaning and food preparation tasks. It would also include cash handling and customer service experience. I have improved my communication skills through this job which I believe will continue to benefit me throughout my working career. The management and other co-workers at Erin Mills Arena all make the job more enjoyable and an inviting place to work.
Pros
Great people
Productive and straight forward
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Malton, ON6 April 2016
Job was straight forward, you show up, get out there and teach for 3-4 hours. Then guard for another 1.5 hours (rotational shift to get your break in). Management was good, somewhat disconnected from staff due to location and job requirements.
The hardest part of the job tends to be dealing with delinquents, or trying to move up in the management chain, as almost everyone is qualified to move up, so the line is quite long.
Co-workers were great, very friendly and helpful people. Always a good time.
Most enjoyable part of the job is definitely hearing back from the children/adults/parents etc. and hearing that you really made a difference.
Pros
Nice to be able to hop in on a hot day.
Cons
Breaks we're never frequent enough or long enough.
Always have fun
Concession Attendant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 November 2016
Everyone that I work with is so nice, and so helpful. I love working there. The environment suits my personality a lot and from the first day I started working everyone made me feel so welcome.
Pros
Laid back envrionment
Cons
Short hours, not a lot of shifts
Awesome Place
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 November 2016
Working at this place is better suited to a co-op who has not yet had a co-op. The staff are very knowledgeable and willing to help the student learn.
Enjoyble work environment with good job flexibility for hours
LifeGuard/ Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 May 2016
Job consists primarily of guarding and or instructing, has taught me many organizational and time management skills. Bosses are generally very clear about what is going on and what needs to be done which is nice.
Pros
Frequent Breaks
Cons
Repetitive Tasks
productive and benefitcial time served
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 August 2016
I would spend some time preparing gym equipment for upcoming programs like yoga and sometimes while doing so, I would get also get an equal benefit in using them for exercising and working out.
Pros
Free Workouts after work
Cons
longer hours
its good
Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2016
working for the city is great but its hard to get people to respect you when you are young. but overall its a great city to work for
Pros
35 hours week
Cons
no cons
Great Place to Work
Coop student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga2 March 2014
A typical day was: responding to email, supervision of; worker, labours, installer. Also designing spaces, meeting with directors and management teams, working as a team, Lead communicator between projects and management teams.
Management team where very supportive and educated in the field as pertains to facility management, construction management and interior design.
Hardest part of the job was balancing customer satisfaction, management needs, and worker relations during every stage of a project.
Pros
gas compensation, float time, great team setting
Typical Day at Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2016
A typical day at work is enjoying 8 hours a day, five days a week providing excellent service for my customers and making sure they are happy.
Amazing workplace
Section Head (Former Employee) –  Mississauga1 July 2016
Gained tremendous experience here, have a wonderful time in the process. Great first job and excelled me towards something better
Amazing Experience!
Assistant Camp Leader/ Leader in Training (LIT) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 February 2016
Everyday was great, working with children and fellow leaders, setting up activities and helping other camp leaders out. Co-operation with others and teaming up to solve a problem was a key theme in this job, but that built a lot of strong bonds between the leaders and campers. By far the hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to all of the amazing campers and leaders at the end of each week, but the next week would have a whole new array of energetic and playful children.
Cons
Fun workplace and sporty environment in which I thrive in
Sport Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 January 2016
My title is a sport instructor. My job is to simply teach basic mechanics, skills, movements and facilitate the game of play for whatever sport I am assigned which can vary from badminton to soccer. I have learned that everyone learns at a different pace and everyone has different skills levels. You must accommodate to them and be flexible in the way you instruct. Management is fairly organized and reliable. Emails are responded to quickly and issues are dealt with accordingly.
Friendly work environment with a lot of collaboration between departments
Software Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 August 2014
City of Mississauga is a great place to work. Culture is friendly and very collaborative. The management is easily accessible and gives autonomy to employees. Great benefits and work/life balance
The environment is very open and team oriented.
Senior Appraiser/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2013
Excellent place to work! The environment is very open and team oriented. A typical day includes working with various departments, collecting real estate data and completing appraisals on a timely basis. The hardest part of the job is time constraints between departments, while the best part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
time constraints
Detail Orientated and Highly Analytical
Global Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2015
My role focused on the following:

Holding a central role in defining, planning, and leading/managing the short- and long-term Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) expansion plan for multinational companies within a defined market (or set of markets) to ensure FDI targets are met and exceeded.

Develop regional approaches to attract FDI and strategic partnership ventures both locally and abroad.

Monitor and assess the effectiveness of current marketing plans that directly relate to target markets; prepare status reports and RFI’s for Executive team leaders;

Attract, establish and maintain strong global connections and relationships with international partners including public and private sector organizations, institutions (i.e. Sheridan International Centre) and service providers;

Plan, implement and execute marketing strategies within budget, timeline and City of Mississauga guidelines.

Provide leadership, guidance and direction to staff; maximizing department performance.
Culture is Static... old school... no vision to improve
System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2016
IT Culture... chaotic... no desire to improve... IT foundation is a disaster...no Engineering principals, design etc ... Very armature technical folks..
Pros
NONE...
Cons
Set in their ways... to desire to improve
Fun & Inclusive Work Environment
Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Huron Park Community Centre8 December 2015
Being a lifeguard at Huron Park Community Centre is a great first job for any one who is qualified to do so. The hours are reasonable, the staff is amazing, & the work experience you will obtain is invaluable. I can say without a doubt that the approx 4 years that I have spent here has shaped me & turned me into a better person. I have learned how to deal with critical thinking situations & my customer service/interaction skills have definitely improved.
Pros
$$$$$
Cons
Need the qualifications
Excellent pay
Maintenance personnel (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2015
The salary is excellent for city workers. The supervisors listen to feedback. They are flexible with schedules.Would work again

4.5